Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
There are still plenty of 727s out there (though none are generally in US passenger aviation). The rules and effects that happen to a 727 still largely apply to modern narrowbody airliners, especially 737s and 757s.

There are still plenty of T-tailed, rear engined jets out there, and most jets are still made out of aluminum. The amount of composite material is significant in jets like the A320 and other widebodies, but it's not like a 787.

In short, Gizmodo doesn't know what they're talking about and can be safely ignored. A 727 is a perfectly fine platform for this kind of experiment.

The special had some sensationalist elements (and I thought they made obvious blunders like not mentioning DB Cooper when referring to the 727's airstairs). I also felt they minimized too much the experts at the NTSB who reconstruct plane accidents. Yes, there's only some things you can see when observing a crash as it happens, but we've learned a hell of a lot from after-the-fact analysis.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I've been watching through Curiosity over the past couple of days, I like it, and I'm glad that Discovery has something like this, but it's so very variable in quality... some of them definitely put style over substance.

I'm not really surprised by that, I'm a big fan of BBC Horizon, as well, and I think it's just the nature of the format... some are going to be hard science, some are going to be populist but still good science, and some are going to stray a bit too far into sensationalism.

For example: Adam Savage's episode (Can You Live Forever) had some interesting mentions of current/possible technology in it, but there were parts that were just bewilderingly unscientific...

...what

Also, Samuel L. Jackson's (How Will the World End), went for some kind of superficial choices, and really didn't need the Mayan 2012 motif.

I'm always so grateful when I start an episode of Horizon or Curiosity, and find that it has the perfect, interesting, scientific, thought-provoking tone. I think Horizon is much better for that, as even the episodes of Curiosity that I've liked the tone of so far have had a moment or two that frustrated me.

Like, in the Morgan Freeman Parallel Universes episode, a scientist talks about how matter/energy could theoretically be leaking from another universe to ours:

"Gamma Ray bursts are the most luminous explosions that we observe in our universe, besides the Big Bang, and we still do not understand well the mechanism that causes them. We see them coming from far, far away... they may be indications of matter coming from the parent universe to our universe."

And then Morgan Freeman's voice over comes in:

"Could these pulses of energy actually be a form of morse code from the inhabitants of another universe? A message of profound cosmic wisdom, based on billions of years of experience before our universe was even born?"

What the hell, Morgan Freeman, that's not what he was saying at all.

Now I'm watching the Morgan Spurlock-hosted caveman episode, which I am totally fine with, so far. I like that they clearly are open to having episodes that are driven by a host's own take on exploring a subject, as some of my favourite Horizon episodes are in that style.

TLDR; if you like Curiosity, you should check into Horizon's back catalogue. A lot of them are up on YouTube in their entirety. I recommend "The Hunt for AI", "Playing God", "How Many People Can Live On Planet Earth", "How Violent Are You?", "The Blind Watchmaker", and "The Hawking Paradox".

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 13, 2012

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
:siren: New season of Too Cute! starts today at 8 on Animal Planet :siren:

Like baby animals? Want to watch them be adorable? Well, this is the show for you. There's a marathon starting at 11:00 with Too Cute! Kittens. For you in the east coast, that means it already started.

Pfefferbao fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 13, 2012

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Really impressed by the amount of science and experimentation the Mythbusters are doing so far this season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird that Discovery is doing yet another gold rush-esque show.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Really? This surprises you?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

They'll do anything for another trip to the glory hole.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Really impressed by the amount of science and experimentation the Mythbusters are doing so far this season.

For science!

http://i.imgur.com/SiXVC.gif

Actually I really liked that trench explosion myth.

Geekslinger fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 16, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I had a problem with the trenches. Shouldn't the first node have registered the same for all three trenches? Why were they so ridiculously different? Or was this explained in the last minute or so my DVR cut off?

Actually, with the car drop, is dropping a car onto the flat concrete the same as a 35 mph car crash? I wasn't paying attention to the myth story so I missed what it was that they supposedly crashed into. I'm assuming a perfectly flat wall with no give what so ever...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

kefkafloyd posted:

The special had some sensationalist elements (and I thought they made obvious blunders like not mentioning DB Cooper when referring to the 727's airstairs). I also felt they minimized too much the experts at the NTSB who reconstruct plane accidents. Yes, there's only some things you can see when observing a crash as it happens, but we've learned a hell of a lot from after-the-fact analysis.

I don't think they mentioned DB Cooper at all in the UK Channel 4 broadcast. It seemed odd when they used "f*****" in the subtitles but didn't alter the guy saying "hosed" in the audio, but I wasn't really thinking about it being shown anywhere else. And the post-crash analysis seemed fairly informative.

Interesting, I wonder how much is different between the US and UK versions.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ToastyPotato posted:

Actually, with the car drop, is dropping a car onto the flat concrete the same as a 35 mph car crash? I wasn't paying attention to the myth story so I missed what it was that they supposedly crashed into. I'm assuming a perfectly flat wall with no give what so ever...

I think the myth said it was a tree, if I recall. So yeah, it's quite a bit different than a solid chunk of concrete. But I'm not too bothered with it since the "myth" doesn't sound like something that's been spread around, it sounds more like a single viewer just invented something off the top of their head for the team to test.

I guess there's a possibility that the actual myth was based on a real event, like a party clown survives a crash and by coincidence happened to not be wearing a seat belt while carrying balloons. Then it became "balloons saved a party clown" when it was retold.

As for the explosives... explosives are unpredictable? That's all I got. But the heart of the myth was the difference in shock absorption, so the initial force doesn't really matter.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I don't think they mentioned DB Cooper at all in the UK Channel 4 broadcast. It seemed odd when they used "f*****" in the subtitles but didn't alter the guy saying "hosed" in the audio, but I wasn't really thinking about it being shown anywhere else. And the post-crash analysis seemed fairly informative.

The US version didn't mention anything about DB Cooper, which is what i was complaining about. I mean, everyone knows about him, Boeing had to specifically modify the 727's airstairs so they wouldn't open in flight after his caper. I'm assuming the guys removed the Cooper vane from this 727, otherwise they couldn't do the jump.

The post-crash analysis was informative, what I was referring to was prior investiagtions that the NTSB has done to investigate accidents. That stuff isn't easy, and while this experiment has taught them some stuff, a lot of it is things we've largely known already. The writers on the show didn't give those guys enough credit for building a body of work.

Watch some Air crash Investigation/Mayday/Air Emergency and you'll get a real feel for how these guys piece together what went down.

BTW, I really don't like the narrator for Curiosity. Guy sounds like he'd rather have his eyelids burned than do narration. Boring as gently caress. I know you can't get Morgan Freeman on every series, but surely someone's better than this guy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

The US version didn't mention anything about DB Cooper, which is what i was complaining about. I mean, everyone knows about him, Boeing had to specifically modify the 727's airstairs so they wouldn't open in flight after his caper. I'm assuming the guys removed the Cooper vane from this 727, otherwise they couldn't do the jump.

The post-crash analysis was informative, what I was referring to was prior investiagtions that the NTSB has done to investigate accidents. That stuff isn't easy, and while this experiment has taught them some stuff, a lot of it is things we've largely known already. The writers on the show didn't give those guys enough credit for building a body of work.

Watch some Air crash Investigation/Mayday/Air Emergency and you'll get a real feel for how these guys piece together what went down.

BTW, I really don't like the narrator for Curiosity. Guy sounds like he'd rather have his eyelids burned than do narration. Boring as gently caress. I know you can't get Morgan Freeman on every series, but surely someone's better than this guy.

Seeing as Mike Rowe got pulled off of Ultimate Fighter, perhaps he has an open slot on his schedule? He does well enough for Deadliest Catch.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I wonder if the US one had all the British folks who had gotten in plane crashes. That was a weird part of the UK one, implying that they were the only survivor in their family but never actually saying it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Surprising thing about this week's Mythbusters definitely has to be Adam having less of a problem lifting the 150 pound weight than Jamie.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Surprising thing about this week's Mythbusters definitely has to be Adam having less of a problem lifting the 150 pound weight than Jamie.

That was rather shocking.

The infrasound myth was infuriatingly awful though. Jamie even debunked their own experiment during the explanation of the results.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

I haven't seen this episode yet because Discovery Canada is always inexplicably behind, but something I've noticed in the most recent seasons is that Adam seems to have improved a lot as a well-rounded dabbler while Jamie stays more or less the same as always. I mean, remember when they did anything remotely competitive (ideas, tests of strength, etc) and Jamie basically always prevailed? That doesn't happen anymore.

Of course, Jamie never embarrasses himself in unforgivably dire fashion with cringe-inducing cornball pirate voices or woeful "singing", so he'll always have that leg up on Adam.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 1, 2012

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Is this still the thread for all Discovery-family properties because I just saw that Finding Bigfoot is coming back on November 11th and I'm stupidly excited to see what those idiots are up to this season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I thought was kind of bizarre was where they got the whole "20 minute" thing for the shallow grave. Most movies I've seen just kind of gloss over the whole digging part and don't really quantify it.

Also for the fear box stuff I feel the worst for Grant since it looked like the rats were going to the bathroom all over the place. At least the snakes and scorpions were clean.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah as a former rat owner, they pee constantly and if they're not peeing they're pooping (though that tends to be the better alternative, since it's pellets and only messy if they're sick). So yeah, that's not fun that way.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

One thing I thought was kind of bizarre was where they got the whole "20 minute" thing for the shallow grave. Most movies I've seen just kind of gloss over the whole digging part and don't really quantify it.

Also for the fear box stuff I feel the worst for Grant since it looked like the rats were going to the bathroom all over the place. At least the snakes and scorpions were clean.

The 20 minute thing was also bad. Overall it was kind of a bad episode. I would love to watch a show devoted to infrasound and other interesting audio based phenomena (as long as legitimate experiments were shown.)

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Just saw this on facebook and thought it fit.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Food myths?! Yes?!

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Alton was on Nerdist podcast a while back and made mention of it. He wouldn't specifically say Mythbusters when asked, but he did say it was going to be a food mashup with the science show based in San Francisco.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like they're doing another episode soon with guests Aaron Paul and Vince Gilligan. Yes, they're doing a Breaking Bad theme episode.

They're doing two scenes from the first season, the bathtub dissolve and another unnamed one.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Looks like they're doing another episode soon with guests Aaron Paul and Vince Gilligan. Yes, they're doing a Breaking Bad theme episode.

They're doing two scenes from the first season, the bathtub dissolve and another unnamed one.

YES!

Was the "throw the thing on the ground and explode the room trick" from the first season?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

YES!

Was the "throw the thing on the ground and explode the room trick" from the first season?

It was mercury fulminate, and it sure was the first season!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

During the myth roundup at the start, I was like "hey, nice, an episode that isn't gross" and then Kari moans while taking a piss and walks out with a liter and a half of urine in a bucket. :barf:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Okay having now seen the halloween episode I have to say that the rats did not look that bad at all. Yeah, they're pooping and peeing like crazy but they're friendly by nature, not aggressive or especially harmful. Would want to go straight to the shower after that, mind, but those guys just looked so cute. :3:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Holy poo poo, they're actually showing the myth where they put a cannonball through somebody's house.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Holy poo poo, they're actually showing the myth where they put a cannonball through somebody's house.

I thought they swore up and down they would never let that see the light of day?

Wow. I'll record the re-airing of it I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They came on at the very beginning of the episode and apologized for what happened.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How long ago did that happen?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Late last year, which is crazy that it took so long for it to show up.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
"We have no idea how this happened", well, looking at the footage, the thing clearly looked like it was pointing too far up...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Those syndavers are among the most horrifying things I've ever seen on the show :stare:

e: The cannonball only cleared the barrels by a few inches and should have gone straight into the huge berm behind the setup. The question is how it got the additional height it needed to escape the entire area, they say they think it bounced off a rock.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 12, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Teek posted:

"We have no idea how this happened", well, looking at the footage, the thing clearly looked like it was pointing too far up...

That was exactly my thought. A lot of rear end covering was done on the show, but the footage clearly showed them leaving the damned thing angled up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have a feeling that all cannon work will now be done out of that quarry.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Did anyone else notice recently shows on Discovery will go to commercial for a few minutes then come back with about 45-60 seconds of the show, then right back to commercials for a few more minutes? I just noticed this starting about a week or two ago during the Alaska show.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

I have a feeling that all cannon work will now be done out of that quarry.

Probably all explosives work too, aside for the myths that they need a lake for.

• Locked thread