Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Superconsndar posted:

I always answer door with rats on my shoulder. First kids squeal and then they are super interested and have Questions and the soccer moms sitting in their vans waiting to drive the kids from house to house get super uptight about it and it is my favorite thing. I have been yelled at by Mad Moms a few times. :3:

I wish I had thought of that!

We ended up with only a bare handful of trick or treaters, though :( I bought 20 lbs of candy because in previous years we've run out. I think I have like 15 lbs left, even with my husband giving out big double handfuls to each kid that came to the door.

I'll probably box it all up and ship it to my kid down at Camp Lejeune. They're Marines, they'll work off the calories. Otherwise it's all going on my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I had exactly zero trick-or-treaters last year AND this year. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I got 196. I was the only house in my subdivision that didn't run out of candy. I bought around 20 gallons and ended up with about 2-ish gallons left. Usually I give out two giant fistfuls. I'm glad I only gave out a handful this year. I'd have run out too.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

All my neighbor kids are Amish and thus are not big on Halloween. It's really for the best though because children dressed in weird costumes knocking on my door is like Major's worst nightmare. He hates kids so much. He has a bb in his side so I have a feeling some country kids shot at him when he was a stray :smith:

Instead we had an X Files marathon and pretended like the halloween candy was totally just in case we had a trick or treater show up.

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

I totally saw Moses' long lost Australian pit bull brother today... he looked like the happiest dawg, chilling out with his doggy bro. He let me say hello! Definitely made my day.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

We didn't get any trick or treaters, but I put the bird in her pirate costume anyway. She tried to get out of it for an hour straight until we took it off her.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I got two trick or treaters...

...on Monday.

:saddowns:

Superconsndar posted:

I always answer door with rats on my shoulder.

I do this but all day erryday with postmen and Jehovah's Witnesses and stuff :3:

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
I handed out candy with a glowing arc reactor strapped to my chest :3: (I got a kit from a costume forum about three weeks ago and my boyfriend and I put it all together, I'll post pics later. It came our pretty awesome.) It was funny watching the reactions, I think my favorite was from a little kid in a Master Chief helmet who said "nice Tony Stark heart". We got a pretty good number of kids for our neighborhood, but maybe only 50 or so total.

Savannah got to wear her Batman costume, but she hates people knocking on the door and kind of hates kids, so my boyfriend stuffed treats in her mouth and by the second group she was silent. She only lost it after that when he wasn't paying close enough attention and didn't distract her first. I was proud of her, though :)

From over the weekend at our Halloween party:

And I do have a picture of the arc reactor by itself

Neena fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 1, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2012/10/30/sk-neutering-spca-121030.html

loving really?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
This agility husky says "gently caress it" and has a blast. :3:

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I got a great idea to save money. We tie the dog's balls so tight they just fall right off! What could go wrong? Screw those people at the cheapo neuter they ain't getting my $50. Rubber bands are 50 cents a pack we can afford a whole new dog now, when this ones balls get infected and he dies

Hey can anyone tell me where you tie off a uterus thanks in advance

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
Going into canine castration lecture right now, will report back if it requires rubber bands or if substitution with silly bandz is acceptable.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Skizzles posted:

Lmao, that is amazing. That dog is like, NO DO IT LIKE THIS! WEeeeeeeeeee!!!!

My husband was wondering what the hell i was laughing so hard about.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Skizzles posted:

What the hell is that obstacle thing in the middle? http://youtu.be/1lyO8EVzhVU?t=27s

Edit. Stress zoomies, but jumping over the collapsed tunnel was really cute :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I don't think the elastrator bands are appropriate for a lot of livestock use (if your goat buck is 3 and clearly in agony after being banded please please please call the vet instead of giving him ~all natural~ herbal tonics) but seriously. Dogs? There are cheapo neuter clinics everywhere in the country. They would be happy to remove your dog's balls for you.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Pile of Kittens posted:

We didn't get any trick or treaters, but I put the bird in her pirate costume anyway. She tried to get out of it for an hour straight until we took it off her.
Please tell me why we don't have any pictures of this. :colbert:

Yeah I've heard the bands used for castrating animals, but I've always thought it's used on really young dogs? And is also kind of unnecessary and causes unnecessary pain to the dog. Why would people do this, it's not like dogs are incapable of expressing pain :psyduck:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I don't think the elastrator bands are appropriate for a lot of livestock use (if your goat buck is 3 and clearly in agony after being banded please please please call the vet instead of giving him ~all natural~ herbal tonics) but seriously. Dogs? There are cheapo neuter clinics everywhere in the country. They would be happy to remove your dog's balls for you.

Some places will do it for free if you have a pibble or for like 25-50$. Its cheaper than puppies!

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Please tell me why we don't have any pictures of this. :colbert:

Yeah I've heard the bands used for castrating animals, but I've always thought it's used on really young dogs? And is also kind of unnecessary and causes unnecessary pain to the dog. Why would people do this, it's not like dogs are incapable of expressing pain :psyduck:
Surely by the time they're old enough to have descended testicles, they're too old for banding :(

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Yeah I've heard the bands used for castrating animals, but I've always thought it's used on really young dogs?

Dog scrotums have too delicate of sensibilities to cope with banding.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

My ex-roommates neutered their cat with a rubber band :(

I found out after we were living together. Those people were super weird.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Why the gently caress? What is wrong with people that they can even do that. I felt like a monster when I accidentally stepped on Sully's paw on his morning walk :gonk:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Rixatrix posted:

What the hell is that obstacle thing in the middle? http://youtu.be/1lyO8EVzhVU?t=27s

Edit. Stress zoomies, but jumping over the collapsed tunnel was really cute :3:

It looks like some frankenstein NADAC hoop, but I thought NADAC had stopped using chutes.

I started my crazy dog this past weekend with L1 CPE; we had a few runs that approached that level of zooming, though he restricted his flying to jumping off contacts.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

We had someone find a dog running loose in their neighborhood and brought it in to the clinic I work at after noticing the rubber band around his testicles that were all red and infected. It was sad and gross. He did fine after a proper neuter and antibiotics. I just don't get why someone thinks this is a good idea.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

hhgtrillian posted:

We had someone find a dog running loose in their neighborhood and brought it in to the clinic I work at after noticing the rubber band around his testicles that were all red and infected. It was sad and gross. He did fine after a proper neuter and antibiotics. I just don't get why someone thinks this is a good idea.

I can almost guarantee that is people with an agricultural background who figure if you can band calves and lambs and goat kids by yourself with no vet instruction, why not your dog too? Heck, people even surgically castrate hogs with no veterinary training or pain management. You can find instructions easily online or in any livestock book or just make it up as you go along!

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Yeah, it doesn't really surprise me. It sucks, but it doesn't surprise me. Some people will leap at the chance to show they don't need no so-called expert to rip them off for doing what they can just do at home like granddad did with the calves.

(Okay, to be less insulting, plenty of people will also just plain leap at the chance to do something for free because in good faith they think it works just as well.)

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 1, 2012

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I wish I could find a clip, this discussion reminds me of the America's Most Dangerous Pets episode of Louis Theroux. At some point he interviews a redneck who is trying to bring back the sabretooth tiger by putting a tiger in with a bunch of lionesses and letting them breed at will for a few generations.

"If the male ligers aren't sterile and they mate with the lionesses, that's the closest thing you'll ever get to a sabretooth tiger."
"You know scientists are doing it in test tubes all day long, Joe's just trying to do it naturally."
"A PhD is just a doctorate that goes on the wall. It's all being done naturally here, so."

For the sabretooth tiger is their common ancestor, you see. :gonk:

The entire episode is basically PI kryptonite.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I took my pack down to my partner's house for trick-or-treaters (because I never get to hand out candy, the downside of rural living) and they did really well. Best moment was when Bandit was sitting in the doorway as I handed candy to a group of 3 or 4 kids (my partner has a glass storm door so the kids were safely protected from the landshark while still being able to see him) and after getting his candy this little boy crouched down to look directly at Bandit and started making this high pitched whining noise. His dad was like, "What are you doing, buddy?" The answer? He was saying thank you to Bandit in dog language. :3: Same kid thought Bandit was dressed up for Halloween and kept calling him "the bandit" after I told them his name.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 1, 2012

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

PiratePing posted:

I wish I could find a clip, this discussion reminds me of the America's Most Dangerous Pets episode of Louis Theroux. At some point he interviews a redneck who is trying to bring back the sabretooth tiger by putting a tiger in with a bunch of lionesses and letting them breed at will for a few generations.

"If the male ligers aren't sterile and they mate with the lionesses, that's the closest thing you'll ever get to a sabretooth tiger."
"You know scientists are doing it in test tubes all day long, Joe's just trying to do it naturally."
"A PhD is just a doctorate that goes on the wall. It's all being done naturally here, so."

For the sabretooth tiger is their common ancestor, you see. :gonk:

The entire episode is basically PI kryptonite.

moniques in heat

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

notsoape posted:

moniques in heat

moniques in heat

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

PiratePing posted:

As a PhD student, if that's all it is, just loving end it all now.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Pile of Kittens posted:

It's not so bad, though a bit boring.

lmao look @ this noob mod

edit: this forum drove me into the Former Mod Protection Program

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 1, 2012

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Topoisomerase posted:

this forum drove me into the Former Mod Protection Program

Yet each man kills the thing he loves
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!

Some kill their love when they are young,
And some when they are old;
Some strangle with the hands of Lust,
Some with the hands of Gold:
The kindest use a knife, because
The dead so soon grow cold.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

wtftastic posted:

As a PhD student, if that's all it is, just loving end it all now.

Get out while you still can. :smithicide:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

lmao look @ this noob mod

edit: this forum drove me into the Former Mod Protection Program

I thought that was just a standard thing they did for most former mods, [REDACTED]

Somebody hosed around with this message hosed around with this message at Nov 1, 2012 around 14:32

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
What was everyone's favourite PI era

I think mine was 06-08, I kinda miss all the screeds about ~bybs~ and ~~norwegian forest cats~~ and ~~~afghan hounds~~~ not gonna lie :smith:

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

2tomorrow posted:

I took my pack down to my partner's house for trick-or-treaters (because I never get to hand out candy, the downside of rural living) and they did really well. Best moment was when Bandit was sitting in the doorway as I handed candy to a group of 3 or 4 kids (my partner has a glass storm door so the kids were safely protected from the landshark while still being able to see him) and after getting his candy this little boy crouched down to look directly at Bandit and started making this high pitched whining noise. His dad was like, "What are you doing, buddy?" The answer? He was saying thank you to Bandit in dog language. :3: Same kid thought Bandit was dressed up for Halloween and kept calling him "the bandit" after I told them his name.

Holy poo poo, that's absolutely adorable :kimchi:

Re: diy-neuterchat, I remember a giant internet shitstorm years and years ago because some chick neutered her rat at home with a pair of scissors and then proudly told everybody about it (I can't remember what forum/site though). There were even pictures. It was pretty horrible. :smith: I want to say the rat got an infection, too.

notsoape posted:

I think mine was 06-08, I kinda miss all the screeds about ~bybs~ and ~~norwegian forest cats~~ and ~~~afghan hounds~~~ not gonna lie :smith:

The DVangel Years were pretty great

Neena fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 1, 2012

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

notsoape posted:

I miss Dr. Housecat, even if she was going slowly insane from running a ferret rescue.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I totally got to see monkeys for sale and super skinny boxer puppies and a baby crocodile and other stuff that wasn't so exciting.

The boxer puppies made me and my friend really sad. One of them was so skinny you could properly see all her ribs and hip bones. 8-9 week old puppies should not look like that.

I will upload pics of animals (inc. baby monkeys) tomorrow.

But who the gently caress buys a pet monkey arghhhhhhh

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

notsoape posted:

tulips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

notsoape posted:

I was just looking back over some 09 threads yesterday that were pretty fantastic. Pardalis, did you ever go on your epic horseback quest across the country that everyone told you was a terrible idea?

Also clearly there were way few active ACD/mix owners because someone posted about getting an aussie/acd mix puppy and no one told him to flee while he still could.

• Locked thread