Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

agentseven posted:

So I've been working on perfecting the NY style. I was happy to get the chance to talk to Jeff Varasano via email and he gave me some crazy detailed advice on how to handle just having a 500F oven. After mixing his advice with advice on here and a dash of youtube, I've come up with a pie that fairly well emulates my favorite (non-Neopolitan) NY pizza, which comes from a local chain called NYPD (New York Pizza Department).

I've found that adding toppings kind of hides the flavor of the dough/sauce/cheese so I've been working really hard on making a really good just simple, basic cheese pizza that blows my mind. Came closer than ever today:

That thing is pretty amazing looking browned so perfectly... I wanted to do something different so I made a BBQ pork, red onion pizza with Gouda, Fontina and mozzarella cheese. Such a good combination I totally recommend you guys trying out. Also, yes please share some of that info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Care to share his advice? I'm limited to a 550 degree oven myself.

:edit: Also, that pie looks wonderful.

Thirded. That looks amazing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I'd love to hear the advice too, my oven only goes to 500 and my pizza doesn't come out nearly that nice!

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

TITS AND COOTERS YOU FAGGOT

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I'd love to hear the advice too, my oven only goes to 500 and my pizza doesn't come out nearly that nice!

This was his advice:

quote:

Let me give you a few things to do when baking in a cooler oven.

For starters, don’t try to make Neapolitan style at 500. It’s just not going to happen. Don’t use the Caputo flour or any 00 flour that a lot of the Neapolitan purists try to use. Those are for temps of 800 and up. Try to make a great NY style instead. Gold Medal Harvest King is a good bread flour available in many supermarkets. King Arthur Bread is another good one. Don't be fooled that everyone is NY is using high gluten. They are using a bromated high gluten. Bromate is a dough conditioner. That's the real difference, not the extra gluten. It's available if you buy 50lb  commercial bags but it probably causes cancer because it's an oxidant... Stick with unbromated bread flour.

Go a little thicker on the dough.  NY style is thicker than Neapolitan. For a 13”pizza, instead of a dough ball in the 270-300g range, go for 350g.

Add a bit of oil to the dough to keep it from drying out during the longer slower bake. At 500 the pie is in the oven so long that it dries out the crust.

Preheat the oven for a long time. Get an Infrared thermometer so you can really know the temp of every spot of your oven. Even after the oven is at it’s maximum temp, preheat a little longer; The thermostat measures just the temp of the surface but you want to make sure the heat has penetrated the walls of the oven.  The oven temp won’t drop as much when you put the pie in.

Use 2 pizza stones. Bake the pie on one stone for 4 minutes or so, then switch to the other stone, opening the door for as little time as possible.

Don’t age the dough as long. There’s a battle between flavor and lightness. The slower the fermentation, the better the flavor, but the worse the rise. If you want a lighter crust, reduce the fermentation time to 12-18 hours. Do this by adding a bit more yeast. My recipe has a very tiny amount of yeast for a super slow rise. I use so little that a single packet of yeast can make 40 pies. For a faster rise double the yeast. It’s still a tiny amount compared to most recipes. Adding oil to the dough will somewhat make up for the flavor loss. Also, even though you are only aging the dough for a short time, it must be cooled to 55F or less for at least part of that time to develop some flavor. Even a couple of hours in the fridge will help the flavor a lot compared to dough that was only proofed at room temp

Edit: I used much of this advice, but some I haven't - like the two stones thing. Instead, I use a method preferred at other places around the 'net where you switch to the broiler for the last few minutes of the bake. Also, for a nicely golden crust, make sure you brush on some melted butter before you put it in the oven.

agentseven fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 30, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright, so what recipe start to finish did you use on that? That looks loving perfect.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

agentseven posted:

I've come up with a pie that fairly well emulates my favorite (non-Neopolitan) NY pizza, which comes from a local chain called NYPD (New York Pizza Department).

Are you talking about the one in Orlando? I've been past that place a few times but never took the chance because of the cheesy name (no pun intended).

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Cizzo posted:

Are you talking about the one in Orlando? I've been past that place a few times but never took the chance because of the cheesy name (no pun intended).

I've seen them in the Midwest and the East Coast. Super surprised anyone would call that their favorite NY style pizza... ugh.

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

Cizzo posted:

No, I don't think so. I think this is an Arizona thing. NYPD Pizza.

Keep in mind that I am talking about a particular thing. There is better pizza in Arizona. Biancos, Pizza A Metro, Grimaldis - but these are more like Neopolitan specialty pizzas - super-hot charcoal or brick oven pizzas. They are awesome (the "best") but they are not practical for someone with a regular electric oven like myself to duplicate.

But there is another kind of "NY" pizza, the street pizza, the guys who use electric or gas-fired decks that operate in the 500F range. This is the kind of pizza that Varasano was talking about in the email and this is the kind of pizza that my local NYPD specializes in.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah I with you on the 500 degree oven problem. I'd love to make some Neopolitan pizza but I'll be super happy to have a pizza come out as good looking as that one.

I have a Green Egg mini grill thing and got a stone that I can put in it. Do you guys think that it would come out ok in there? Does anyone have any opinions on grilled pizza? I don't think I would like the smokey flavor that would come with it. Maybe it would go good with my BBQ pizzas?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sweet, thanks for sharing the advice! That's awesome, gonna try some of that out soon :)

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

nwin posted:

Alright, so what recipe start to finish did you use on that? That looks loving perfect.

This is where I am right at the moment:

For tomato sauce:
One can of peeled tomatoes
1.5 tsp garlic salt w/parsley

For yeast:
60g lukewarm water
1tsp dry active yeast
1/2 tsp sugar

For dough:
225g bread flour
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
80g water

Put tomatoes and garlic salt in the blender, blend until mostly broken up (with some small chunks). Refrigerate for at least an hour, stir.

Stir yeast ingredients, allow to foam (5-10 minutes)
Mix all ingredients plus yeast mixture in stand mixer with dough hook
Knead 15 minutes
Let sit for 15 minutes, covered
Mix one final minute
Round dough
Cover, allow to sit to rise for 1 hour
Punch down, round dough again
Cover and allow a final rise for 1 hour

Heat up oven to 500F, allow it to sit for 30 minutes with the stone in it at this temp.

To shape, put dough round in a dusting of flour, form a crust by poking with four fingers all the way around, then press the center down, then stretch carefully to about 14-16 inches.

Put dough on a peel dusted with corn meal
Apply toppings (thin layer of sauce, shredded part-skim mozzarella (8 oz) and a sprinkling of dried oregano followed by whatever toppings. Brush melted butter on the crust

Shimmy the peel to make sure the pizza is loose enough to slide onto the stone
Shimmy the pizza onto the pizza stone
Should cook within 10 minutes, turn the broiler on high when it starts to get golden, maybe 5 or 6 minutes in until it gets a burny sheen

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

I just wanted to quote this again to emphasize how amazing this looks. Jesus.

Mr. Kennedy
May 24, 2003

I weigh in tonight at an astonishing 242 lbs. From Green Bay Wisconsin, MISTER KENNEDY!!!!!!! KENNEDY...
I apologize if this has been answered before, but does anyone make their own frozen pizza? And if so, how?

I love making homemade pizza. In the past me and my father have always made the dough and rolled out maybe 8 inch pizzas. we cooked the dough on the grill and than saved them in the fridge until ready to add sauce and toppings and cook in oven.

I want to make a large amount of dough and make my own frozen pizzas. I was wondering, should i create the dough and make pizzas (normal 12 inch) and add sauce and toppings to freeze? Or should i cook the dough to a part, the sausage or raw meat first, and than add to the dough and put cheese and non cooked toppings on and freeze?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

agentseven posted:

This is where I am right at the moment:

For tomato sauce:
One can of peeled tomatoes
1.5 tsp garlic salt w/parsley

For yeast:
60g lukewarm water
1tsp dry active yeast
1/2 tsp sugar

For dough:
225g bread flour
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
80g water

Put tomatoes and garlic salt in the blender, blend until mostly broken up (with some small chunks). Refrigerate for at least an hour, stir.

Stir yeast ingredients, allow to foam (5-10 minutes)
Mix all ingredients plus yeast mixture in stand mixer with dough hook
Knead 15 minutes
Let sit for 15 minutes, covered
Mix one final minute
Round dough
Cover, allow to sit to rise for 1 hour
Punch down, round dough again
Cover and allow a final rise for 1 hour

Heat up oven to 500F, allow it to sit for 30 minutes with the stone in it at this temp.

To shape, put dough round in a dusting of flour, form a crust by poking with four fingers all the way around, then press the center down, then stretch carefully to about 14-16 inches.

Put dough on a peel dusted with corn meal
Apply toppings (thin layer of sauce, shredded part-skim mozzarella (8 oz) and a sprinkling of dried oregano followed by whatever toppings. Brush melted butter on the crust

Shimmy the peel to make sure the pizza is loose enough to slide onto the stone
Shimmy the pizza onto the pizza stone
Should cook within 10 minutes, turn the broiler on high when it starts to get golden, maybe 5 or 6 minutes in until it gets a burny sheen
Trying that this weekend. Thanks! One thing I noticed...you dont refrigerate the dough at all, correct?

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

nwin posted:

Trying that this weekend. Thanks! One thing I noticed...you dont refrigerate the dough at all, correct?

I don't. I have tried batch after batch using different fermentation times in the refrigerator and it's my personal opinion that when it comes to simple ADY, there is just no noticeable difference in the flavor. I've still not gotten the balls to try the sourdough starters I've got lurking in my fridge, perhaps fermentation makes a huge difference with them. The method I'm using at the moment ditches the refrigerator in favor of a quick result.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Mr. Kennedy posted:

I was wondering, should i create the dough and make pizzas (normal 12 inch) and add sauce and toppings to freeze? Or should i cook the dough to a part, the sausage or raw meat first, and than add to the dough and put cheese and non cooked toppings on and freeze?

Why not just bake the pizza with all toppings and then freeze it? That's the way I usually do it and it works fine. Use a frying pan when you heat it after it's been in the freezer, that way it'll be crisp and almost like fresh pizza.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

This is going to sound weird, But is there a way to make a high protein Pizza Dough?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tenchrono posted:

This is going to sound weird, But is there a way to make a high protein Pizza Dough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JwkIDRpp5s

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Tenchrono posted:

If you want to just boost protein, rather than figure out how to make low-carb pizza or something, you could experiment by cutting in some soy flour and/or wheat germ in place of bread flour in an existing recipe and see how much you can get without diminishing the quality too much.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Made agentseven's recipe last night, even though my pizza stretching skills are lousy but it was still awesome. Gonna try again tonight!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I made this one tonight.

Never tried making Hawaiian, so went and did it. Ham, pineapple, and some ricotta, 500 with stone.

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Made agentseven's recipe last night, even though my pizza stretching skills are lousy but it was still awesome. Gonna try again tonight!
Let's see some pics next go around! :v:

Stretching the dough is such a pain in the rear end. It's funny though, how quickly it improves after each one you do. Real life isn't like video games but stretching dough sometimes has that unrealistic yet undeniable thrill of of leveling up a skill in an RPG because you get so much better so quickly. I'm getting to where I can actually see myself throwing it soon.

As long as you have a dough that's actually pliable, of course. That's the first trick... which this technique actually gives you.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

So I did the no mixer dough recipe on the first page, I didn't have enough flour so I used the Soy Flour and some premade pretzel dough from a box along with a bit of vital wheat gluten. The dough is really sticky so I just put pam on my hands and went to work.

Pre-cubed ham
Pork Chop
a block of mozzarella
I didn't have pizza sauce so I just used Tostitos salsa instead.
I was going to put some egg whites on there but I forgot :smith:
It turned out pretty good, I didn't make it on the metal sheet pan I had a pizza stone.

theunderwaterbear
Sep 24, 2004
That's a loving joke, right? If it isn't... I mean, well done for trying, sort of, but that probably tastes worse and is worse for you than some 99c pre-bought frozen pizza. This is the PIZZA thread, not "Look at the weird poo poo I threw together tonight" thread.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tenchrono posted:

So I did the no mixer dough recipe on the first page, I didn't have enough flour so I used the Soy Flour and some premade pretzel dough from a box along with a bit of vital wheat gluten. The dough is really sticky so I just put pam on my hands and went to work.

Pre-cubed ham
Pork Chop
a block of mozzarella
I was going to put some egg whites on there but I forgot :smith:
It turned out pretty good, I didn't make it on the metal sheet pan I had a pizza stone.
Holy poo poo this sounds like some crazy substitution you would find on allrecipes.com with a 1 star rating because it tasted like poo poo even though you didn't follow the posted recipe.

Seriously though, you used salsa instead of tomato sauce? Did you use the premade dough and then just add soy flour and wheat gluten to it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Shitzza

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
While that pizza is absolutely hilarious it was still... uhhh... How did you manage to cook one half while the other looks super under cooked? Your oven must have some really weird cold spots or something or you ran it through a conveyor oven?

Next time rotate that thing halfway through to get it to cook more evenly and don't you dare ever put salsa on a pizza again.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but how did you do that dough? Did you take a pre made dough and just mix in the soy flour/vital wheat gluten? Wouldn't that have dried the gently caress out of the dough, making it way less stickier? Or did you add water to it as well?

So many questions...

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

Tenchrono posted:

Tenchrono posted:

I just used Tostitos salsa instead.

Tenchrono posted:

Tostitos salsa

:colbert:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Cizzo posted:

Wise choice.. it is not that good. Better than most every sit down chain but it is hit or miss depending on the guys in the back and how drunk they were last night or how pissed off they are having to work that night they have a hot date after work. The location downtown was awful and there are two or three others that beat them by a mile.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

The curse of the goon pizza thread: alternating good pizzas (like yours), with malformed abortions with 3 lbs of pork on them.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I like the frankenpizza and think it looks delicious.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

the littlest prince posted:

I like the frankenpizza and think it looks delicious.

I just went back and re-read that. Apparently I missed the part where he threw a pork chop on there. :wtc:

Edit: Trying out agent's pizza recipe today. Just got done kneading it and now it's resting for the first hour. I'm a bit nervous I'm going to fail at stretching the dough out. Everytime I've tried in the past it always gets WAY too thin in certain spots and ends up breaking/or it's too thin in spots that I put the sauce and cheese on and it tears when I slide it off the peel...

nwin fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 4, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright, using Agentseven's method:

It came out pretty good, but I still need some advice to perfect it, see where things went wrong.

I failed at making a decent crust. This dough was VERY easy to stretch by hand which I liked, but I couldn't get the crust part correct. Using my four fingers and making the ring around the circle of dough didn't seem to work...I was pinching so it seemed really thin. Ideas?

Some of the parts of the pizza were the perfect thickness, others were too thick, which made me feel like I was eating bread almost when it got too thick. I think the pizza was big enough...I could maybe go a bit bigger, but it was already almost the size of the peel.

For the cheese, I didn't use the whole bag. It seemed to have good coverage and I probably had about 1-2 ounces left. I was worried about making the pie too heavy where it wouldn't slide off the peel...next time I'll be sure to use the whole bag.

It cooked pretty quickly actually. Maybe 7-8 minutes before I pulled it? That's with 1 minute of having the broiler on high. I preheated my oven as high as it would go (it's a very old model that says 500 is the highest before it goes to broiler) for about 45 minutes.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it. Just need to work on that crust and the thinness of it. It still takes a backseat to my no-knead recipe that uses AP flour and then I cook using a cast iron skillet, popping it under the broiler, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Curious, why did he suggest using the bread flour as opposed to AP?

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 5, 2012

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

nwin posted:

Alright, using Agentseven's method:

Well hey, that looks pretty good. I'm guessing your oven is hotter than mine... I think yours may have gone a bit too far but of course, you were expecting ten minutes based on what I said.

quote:

I failed at making a decent crust. This dough was VERY easy to stretch by hand which I liked, but I couldn't get the crust part correct. Using my four fingers and making the ring around the circle of dough didn't seem to work...I was pinching so it seemed really thin. Ideas?

Some of the parts of the pizza were the perfect thickness, others were too thick, which made me feel like I was eating bread almost when it got too thick. I think the pizza was big enough...I could maybe go a bit bigger, but it was already almost the size of the peel.

No I think it's the right size. It just takes practice. You have to get good at stretching it over both your hands and turning it around so that the crust you created stays somewhat intact while you stretch. Also... did you butter the crust? It's kind of a pain in the rear end but it really makes a difference. If you're terrified of the peel like I used to be, a corn meal sprinkle on the peel really is like magic. It's like putting the fucker on ball bearings.

quote:

For the cheese, I didn't use the whole bag. It seemed to have good coverage and I probably had about 1-2 ounces left. I was worried about making the pie too heavy where it wouldn't slide off the peel...next time I'll be sure to use the whole bag.

When you say bag, do you mean pre-shredded? Because that stuff doesn't melt right what with all the corn starch. Shred your own block cheese for SURE. Huge difference.

quote:

Curious, why did he suggest using the bread flour as opposed to AP?

It's what Varasano suggested. I've never tried it with AP but I've been so pleased with the ease of stretching and the feel of the dough that I've never bothered trying.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

agentseven posted:

Well hey, that looks pretty good. I'm guessing your oven is hotter than mine... I think yours may have gone a bit too far but of course, you were expecting ten minutes based on what I said.

No I think it's the right size. It just takes practice. You have to get good at stretching it over both your hands and turning it around so that the crust you created stays somewhat intact while you stretch. Also... did you butter the crust? It's kind of a pain in the rear end but it really makes a difference. If you're terrified of the peel like I used to be, a corn meal sprinkle on the peel really is like magic. It's like putting the fucker on ball bearings.

When you say bag, do you mean pre-shredded? Because that stuff doesn't melt right what with all the corn starch. Shred your own block cheese for SURE. Huge difference.

It's what Varasano suggested. I've never tried it with AP but I've been so pleased with the ease of stretching and the feel of the dough that I've never bothered trying.

I did butter the crust, but again, I was worried about the peel not working correctly and didn't want to accidently get butter on the peel, thus causing the dough to stick to the peel...as you can tell, I've had peel problems in the past! I used a heavy dosing of corn meal, and it slid off no problem though! Next time I'll definitely put more butter on the crust.

As for the cheese, I misunderstood your recipe. I've been taking the 8 oz balls of mozzarella you can get at a grocery store, and cutting that into cubes and then pressing it between two plates with paper towels to get some of the moisture out of it. When your recipe said shredded part-skim mozz, I figured you were using bagged, so I found a bag that said part-skim and bought it. How do you shred mozzarella? It seems like it would be incredibly too soft to shred.

Thanks again for the advice and if anything, it's just an excuse for me to try it again later this week! Pizza has seriously become a normal rotation in my dinner menu. It used to count as our take-out thing for the week that we would get, but all the pizza I'm making is coming out way better than any chain ever did!

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

nwin posted:

As for the cheese, I misunderstood your recipe. I've been taking the 8 oz balls of mozzarella you can get at a grocery store, and cutting that into cubes and then pressing it between two plates with paper towels to get some of the moisture out of it. When your recipe said shredded part-skim mozz, I figured you were using bagged, so I found a bag that said part-skim and bought it. How do you shred mozzarella? It seems like it would be incredibly too soft to shred.

That's the "part skim" part. Part skim mozzarella is the harder block type stuff. You'll find bricks of it next to the cheddar. Not the soft round stuff (née: "fresh" mozzarella). You use the fresh stuff in all other applications except this one. That's real mozzarella. It's awesome, but it's not what you want here. But when you get part skim pre-shredded in a bag, it's got corn starch in it to keep it from being sticky. Bags are pretty much always verboten.

Part skim bricks of mozzarella are as easy to shred with a cheese grater as regular old cheddar is.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ah ha, good to know! Another awesome thing about pizza is I already have the majority of ingredients around, I just need to get some cheese now and I'm good to go!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Putting brick mozzarella in the freezer until it firms up some makes it easier to shred too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Stupid question, I know, but anyway… That beer pizza from a couple pages back? I still have the other half of the dough! I forgot to ever do anything with it. Is it still usable or do I need to chuck it?

EDIT: For those too :effort: to look, it's been almost a month.