Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

plainswalker75 posted:

"Year of the Job" was one of the running themes of the "A ticket came in . . . " thread two years ago, when several long-suffering IT goons quit their soul-crushing low-pay jobs for soul-crushing medium-pay jobs; the notable exception being Dick Trauma, who somehow managed to get hired at Shangri-la.

Given the amount of alcohol the average IT worker consumes, a LOT, it's reasonable to assume :yotj: is downing a fifth of Skyy vodka.

It gets confusing, though, because the liquor of choice in that thread is almost always scotch/whiskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
:corrupt: - whose face is that?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

What the heck is Mort?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

It gets confusing, though, because the liquor of choice in that thread is almost always scotch/whiskey.

It'll come back around again to Vodka, as it did a few months ago. And when it does, i'll be here waiting for it! :yotj:

Actually, I think the bachelor thread is more about the scotch/whiskey and the enjoyment of your booze; IT is more about the numbing effects, so anything will do.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

StabMasterArson posted:

What the heck is Mort?
Three pages ago, but this thread is big:

cowboythreespeech posted:

the gently caress does "Mort" mean in this context? I looked for it in SAclopedia and then questioned my existence. Help?

Psalmanazar posted:

Mort is a character in a webcomic. He is a ghost and a pretty cool guy.

hellopticor posted:

It's a character from a webcomic many goons love. Edit: :argh:

Precambrian posted:

Specifically, a character from the webcomic Gunnerkrigg Court. There's good odds you've already seen plenty of other avatars from that comic.

e. agh, beaten

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Splizwarf posted:

The liquor of choice for the person who bought it is Skyy vodka.

Pijonsnodt
Jul 14, 2012
OK, I know the source of :sax:

My question is, how did it get to be associated with Kyoon?

e. Found it five pages back, so never mind.

Pijonsnodt has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Nov 1, 2012

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

toanoradian posted:

I thought AxeManiac were the mods who liked to photoshop dicks into comics down at BSS.

Regarding the flag emoticons, what is :tf:, :tito:, :helladid: and :cheat:? I assume :helladid: is from some sort of LP of Civilization-like game but with Crete, but searching the LP Archive doesn't seem to lead me to said LP.

Also, how many goons are from Belarus to merit :belarus:?

My favorite thing about these is they deleted the :nz: one after a month.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

It lasted that long?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

TetsuoTW posted:

It lasted that long?

Some dude bought it, then there was a purge and it got taken out.

Pretty funny, but I made it so also sad.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Why was it deleted? Also, why is there no :korea:?

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

My favorite thing bout it is that :nz: was deleted despite being a real country but somehow :cheat: is still kickin'

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

:nz: ... a real country

I live there, and even I don't believe this.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Why was it deleted?
Because the last time New Zealand approached relevance outside of its own borders (Australia stealing all our famous poo poo excluded) was when our Prime Minister loving destroyed a debate team led by Jerry Fallwell in the 1980s?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This is pretty much the first time I've seen a national attitude from a NZ native (apart from my husband; he's cool) that wasn't blatant and aggressive chauvinism. It's refreshing; thank you. My inlaws are batshit.

What "country" is :cheat: from, anyway?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Strongbadia the Free.

Pop: Tire

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Call Now posted:

:corrupt: - whose face is that?

I think it's Olivia Wilde's, coincidentally enough, but I'm not sure (and in any case I dunno why it's called corrupt).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Splizwarf posted:

Strongbadia the Free.

Pop: Tire

Oh there's the Cheat, in the place where the tropical breezes blow...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TetsuoTW posted:

Because the last time New Zealand approached relevance outside of its own borders (Australia stealing all our famous poo poo excluded) was when our Prime Minister loving destroyed a debate team led by Jerry Fallwell in the 1980s?

New Zealand's current claim to fame is being the place they shot the Lord of the Rings movies, isn't it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

New Zealand's current claim to fame is being the place they shot the Lord of the Rings movies, isn't it?

Yes, it's famous for being a fictional country :ironicat:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

prefect posted:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

prefect posted:

And they won't loving shut up about it.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It's not like anyone can hear them.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Hirayuki posted:

Hey now, lets be fair. They've got more than just the Lord of the Rings movies going for them.

That's also where they shot "The Hobbit".

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

This is pretty much the first time I've seen a national attitude from a NZ native (apart from my husband; he's cool) that wasn't blatant and aggressive chauvinism. It's refreshing; thank you. My inlaws are batshit.
Back when he was filming The Frighteners, Michael J Fox said he thought New Zealand felt like 1950s America. He was more right than he could've imagined, in that a terrifyingly large percentage of the white population openly detests brown people.

Hirayuki posted:

poo poo, it seems like half the economy of my home town is based on bilking foreigners out of money to look at holes in hills on a farm because they used to be the Shire for a couple of weeks.

sub supau has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Nov 1, 2012

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

prefect posted:

Honestly it's a step up from when the National Myth of Global Importance was based entirely on the performance of national teams for sports not played outside the Commonwealth.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ghostlight posted:

Honestly it's a step up from when the National Myth of Global Importance was based entirely on the performance of national teams for sports not played outside the Commonwealth.

That one is still going though, they're proud enough of their union rugby team to slap its logo on several of their airplanes. Which probably confuses a lot of people flying there from the United States.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

TetsuoTW posted:

poo poo, it seems like half the economy of my home town is based on bilking foreigners out of money to look at holes in hills on a farm because they used to be the Shire for a couple of weeks.

Anyone who likes LOtR that much deserves to lose their money to be honest.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

prefect posted:

Well, we did all feel bad for them when they had that volcano or whatever it was.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I think Flight of the Conchords is a funny duo of "cool guys", maybe you can be more proud of them :shobon:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tarranon posted:

I think Flight of the Conchords is a funny duo of "cool guys", maybe you can be more proud of them :shobon:
They're too successful. We don't like it when people get too successful. Unless Australia tries to claim them, then we get all shirty about it and have always loved them.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I don't think I've seen this one, and a threadsearch, SAclopedia, and the named user's profile yield nothing:

:choco:.

It's Baron von Blubba from Bubble Bobble. The "hurry! hurry!" is a message that appears in Bubble Bobble when you exceed a level's time limit, just before Baron von Blubba appears.

So why is it "choco"? Is it, in fact, related to the user choco?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Besesoth posted:

I don't think I've seen this one, and a threadsearch, SAclopedia, and the named user's profile yield nothing:

:choco:.

It's Baron von Blubba from Bubble Bobble. The "hurry! hurry!" is a message that appears in Bubble Bobble when you exceed a level's time limit, just before Baron von Blubba appears.

I believe it's the avatar used by Choochacacko, the current developer/maintainer of the forum code.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
^^^ Yeah what that good lookin fella said.

A guy with that av is the new radium so I'd imagine it's to tell him to hurry the gently caress up and fix ((blank)).

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

prefect posted:

I believe it's the avatar used by Choochacacko, the current developer/maintainer of the forum code.

I just read his profile. He must be the master of the code, seeing as how it claims he's made 341 posts in one day after registering in 2038.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

prefect posted:

Aha. That explains the "Choo!" mouseover on the smilies page. Thanks!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Besesoth posted:

It's also a bit of a running gag that nobody spells his name correctly.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

UmbreonMessiah posted:

I just read his profile. He must be the master of the code, seeing as how it claims he's made 341 posts in one day after registering in 2038.

His regdate is the last day of unix time that can be represented with a 32 bit integer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Why is the TV Troper smilie wearing what appears to be a lampshade? :tvtropes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Why is the TV Troper smilie wearing what appears to be a lampshade? :tvtropes:

It's on their logo, based on the trope Lampshade Hanging.