Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Berlin in early Spring was a miserable experience for me. Not only it was cold but it was loving WINDY all the time. After a couple of days my neck started hurting because I walked everywhere hunched, trying to reduce exposure to wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
You could say this about almost any northern European city though.

I went to Berlin in April last year and didn't do any clubs and I had a find old time. Eat in Monsieur Vuongs, visit Tascheles and the area around that (although that's shut down now), do some markets, the nice little shops in the Hof, the museums, take the Fat Tire Bike Tour, drink Club Mate and eat falafel and currywurst.

(That said I went back two weeks ago, did a shitload of clubbing, and my god it's pretty loving outstanding.)

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I would only recommend European city trips between October and March if you are heavily into indoor activities. Museums, exhibitions, shopping malls, dance clubs, spas and stuff like that. The outdoors are going to be a mix of rainy overcast skies and slushy streets, with the rare nice sunny day mixed in maybe three times a month.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Croatia.

Specifically Zagreb and the surrounding area. My wife and I are going with a group of friends in mid January 2013 for the express purpose of drinking beer and seeing what the hell else is in Zagreb. Does anyone have a list of poo poo to do/see or anything else nifty that will be open that time of year?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Mackieman posted:

Croatia.

Specifically Zagreb and the surrounding area. My wife and I are going with a group of friends in mid January 2013 for the express purpose of drinking beer and seeing what the hell else is in Zagreb. Does anyone have a list of poo poo to do/see or anything else nifty that will be open that time of year?

Yes, here you go:

<end list>

That's probably the worst time of the year to be here. Don't come. I would expect that you have some other motive to travel to Croatia in January of all times, but you say that your express purpose is tourism? With the Christmas shopping and New Year craziness over, you will visit a depressed city that's cold and broke.

But OK I'll do my best... Go hiking on the Medvednica mountain, there will be snow and rudimentary skiing facilities. Take a walk through the old Upper Town, warm yourself up with some cooked wine with cloves. Beer is also popular but local brands are nothing special. The seaside is only a couple of hours drive away, but it will be deserted and windy. Slovenian ski resorts are the same distance away. There's also usual stuff like clubs, museums, January shopping discounts...

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yes, here you go:

<end list>

That's probably the worst time of the year to be here. Don't come. I would expect that you have some other motive to travel to Croatia in January of all times, but you say that your express purpose is tourism? With the Christmas shopping and New Year craziness over, you will visit a depressed city that's cold and broke.

But OK I'll do my best... Go hiking on the Medvednica mountain, there will be snow and rudimentary skiing facilities. Take a walk through the old Upper Town, warm yourself up with some cooked wine with cloves. Beer is also popular but local brands are nothing special. The seaside is only a couple of hours drive away, but it will be deserted and windy. Slovenian ski resorts are the same distance away. There's also usual stuff like clubs, museums, January shopping discounts...

Heh, I sort of figured as much. My friends and I do this every January at a different European location. First time was Prague, then Salzburg, then Stockholm, and now Zagreb for 2013. We're only there Friday-Sunday, so it's not a ton of time to burn up. While I realize stuff will be closed, my hope is that there is enough open to take up the time not spent drinking.

Any notable bars/pubs and restaurants to check out are welcome as well.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think that out of the possible destinations in Croatia, Zagreb definitely isn't the most attractive? Hard to judge how popular seasonal spots (Split, Dubrovnik, etc.) look in Winter, though.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Mackieman posted:

Heh, I sort of figured as much. My friends and I do this every January at a different European location. First time was Prague, then Salzburg, then Stockholm, and now Zagreb for 2013. We're only there Friday-Sunday, so it's not a ton of time to burn up. While I realize stuff will be closed, my hope is that there is enough open to take up the time not spent drinking.

I did friday-sunday Berlin last january and had a blast, if you and your friends like clubbing even a little bit, choose Berlin over Zagreb.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Mackieman posted:

steinrokkan posted:

I think that out of the possible destinations in Croatia, Zagreb definitely isn't the most attractive? Hard to judge how popular seasonal spots (Split, Dubrovnik, etc.) look in Winter, though.

If you went to a seaside destination, like steinrokkan suggests, lots of stuff would be closed. Not Zagreb, though. Everything will be open - it's just that there aren't that many interesting things to see. On the other hand, you've already been to Salzburg which is six times smaller than Zagreb so it won't be any worse.

I recommend Didov San, a restaurant in the old upper town. Interesting food, authentic-looking place, not very expensive. Might want to make a reservation couple of days before you arrive.

My favorite bar is Svijet stripa - a place covered floor to ceiling in comic book characters. Shelves full of comics to pick and read, and every Saturday night excellent acoustic concerts. A relaxing place, not crowded at all.

Tkalciceva street, which connects to the main square, has dozens of bars. My recommendation there would be Cica (read: tzeetza). A great selection of rakija, good music. It's just very tiny, so likely to be full.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Does anybody have any advice about things to do in Kiev, Ukraine, during November and early December? I'm here for two months studying disability policy and NGOs (just arrived yesterday morning) and right now things just seem very... gray. Lots of concrete. Of course, I'm staying in a place close to the airport, so I'm probably not in the most attractive section of town, but any advice helps. Also, what's the best way to pick up some Russian? I've just come from three months in Bangkok, and somehow Thai seems easier than Russian or Ukrainian, where everything is five syllables long.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Day trip to Chernobyl.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Doctor Malaver posted:

If you went to a seaside destination, like steinrokkan suggests, lots of stuff would be closed. Not Zagreb, though. Everything will be open - it's just that there aren't that many interesting things to see. On the other hand, you've already been to Salzburg which is six times smaller than Zagreb so it won't be any worse.

I recommend Didov San, a restaurant in the old upper town. Interesting food, authentic-looking place, not very expensive. Might want to make a reservation couple of days before you arrive.

My favorite bar is Svijet stripa - a place covered floor to ceiling in comic book characters. Shelves full of comics to pick and read, and every Saturday night excellent acoustic concerts. A relaxing place, not crowded at all.

Tkalciceva street, which connects to the main square, has dozens of bars. My recommendation there would be Cica (read: tzeetza). A great selection of rakija, good music. It's just very tiny, so likely to be full.

Thanks for that; it is exceedingly helpful. :)

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
on the same note, how about Ukraine in January? Planning on spending a week. I have lots of cold weather clothing so no biggie on that.

its about $200 from italy to kiev, planning on doing chernobyl overnight tour, and odessa 7km market. anything else super cool in January?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Pinball posted:

Does anybody have any advice about things to do in Kiev, Ukraine, during November and early December? I'm here for two months studying disability policy and NGOs (just arrived yesterday morning) and right now things just seem very... gray. Lots of concrete. Of course, I'm staying in a place close to the airport, so I'm probably not in the most attractive section of town, but any advice helps. Also, what's the best way to pick up some Russian? I've just come from three months in Bangkok, and somehow Thai seems easier than Russian or Ukrainian, where everything is five syllables long.

The airport isn't really in Kiev at all but out in a suburb. Get a cab to the city and at least see Independence Square. The World War II monument is pretty cool too. If your single there's always the club scene, Shooters is pretty popular. Just don't go the Golden Gate, its expensive and it sucks.

As for January, The city tends to empty out a bit in early in the month since Ukraine observes Eastern Orthodox Christmas and lots of people celebrate with their families out in the countryside. So there's usually not much in particular going on that month. Bring a good pair of boots for hiking through snow and ice since the sidewalks don't get cleared very often.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

DNova posted:

Day trip to Chernobyl.

Don't do this.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Pinball posted:

On Kiev:
There are many great museums, it's also warm there.
Go to the Lavra, try to get into the caves (i cant remember, if they are opened at this time, but i was there in the winter time), dont be disrespectfull there - it's one of the holiest places for Orthodox people. Great Patriotic War monument is also nearby. Also the walk through Lavra to the Dnepr is cool.
Try to go to the Truhanov Island (there are pedestrian bridge below the Lavra) - there is a forest in the middle of city. Go to the Vydubychi Monastery - it's the blue cupola covered in stars.
Go to the Andriyivskyy Descent - metro station Poshtova Ploshcha, up by funicular to the Andrew's Church, then down to Podil district.
At Dnepr river look for the dudes fishing on ice.
If you are at Independence Square, go to the House with Chimaeras - crazy place.
Also go to the Arsenalnaja Metro Station - it's the deepest one in the Europe i think.
Try to go to the Pyrohiv outdoor Museum of Folk Architecture and Life, there are many old examples of wooden architecture from all around Ukraine.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

AntiTank posted:

Don't do this.

Why not? I had an excellent time when I did it. I did the 1 day trip, no overnights in their hotel. It was something I had wanted to do for years and years and it didn't disappoint. Then again, I am a science nerd who almost chose to go into nuclear engineering so ymmv.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

For one it's still slightly radioactive, and I think it's illegal as well.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

For one it's still slightly radioactive, and I think it's illegal as well.

It is not illegal and hasn't been for quite a long time already. They have armed guards at the checkpoints and they do passport checks. Recently the exclusion zone restrictions have become lighter than ever but I went in 2008 with an organized tour on a big comfy bus and we were served a multi-course lunch within the exclusion zone. It was hardly a clandestine affair. The tour operators carry dosimeters and geiger counters (for fun mainly) and you are checked for residual radiation on your clothes/shoes several times. The danger is extremely minimal.

I understand some people have moral qualms about visiting the site, but I don't share that view. It is not a happy place but there's no reason it should be completely forsaken.

edit: There are also much more comprehensive (and expensive) multi-day tours during which you overnight in the one operating hotel within the exclusion zone.

And the official visitor's center building is about 100 meters from Reactor 4 (the one that melted down) and people work there full time. :science:

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 29, 2012

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
It seems a couple people have been confused by the STALKER game series and taken it for reality. Unfortunately, there are no strange artifacts to find, but there's also not a security cordon around the perimeter nor mutated monsters inside.

Looks like a fantastic place to take photos, I've wanted to go there for a while. Unfortunately, I heard they recently changed the tours so you can no longer go inside most of the buildings, due to safety risks from lack of maintenance.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Yeah STALKER is a loving game, you won't find poo poo out of it in real life.

The area was irradiated unevenly and it is still not really mapped. There still pockets of radiation. You can find places or things, that will cost your health. The people taking you there just want to get some quick buck from the stupid nerd tourists and don't care about this poo poo. You will sign some papers, and they are nor responsible for anything anymore. And it's not like you'll see the damage right away. Don't joke with the radiation it will gently caress you up. And for what? To see some abandoned poo poo? Go to the loving Detroit for that.

If you want real Chernobyl experience - go to the hospitals, look how miserable children with birth defects are, look at the cancer wards, donate some money there. Ukraine is a crazy bad place for sick poor people and your help will be really appreciated.
If you want to see some soviet relics - go to some miserable town outside Kiev, it's still the same like 30 years ago.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

AntiTank posted:

Yeah STALKER is a loving game, you won't find poo poo out of it in real life.

The area was irradiated unevenly and it is still not really mapped. There still pockets of radiation. You can find places or things, that will cost your health. The people taking you there just want to get some quick buck from the stupid nerd tourists and don't care about this poo poo. You will sign some papers, and they are nor responsible for anything anymore. And it's not like you'll see the damage right away. Don't joke with the radiation it will gently caress you up. And for what? To see some abandoned poo poo? Go to the loving Detroit for that.

If you want real Chernobyl experience - go to the hospitals, look how miserable children with birth defects are, look at the cancer wards, donate some money there. Ukraine is a crazy bad place for sick poor people and your help will be really appreciated.
If you want to see some soviet relics - go to some miserable town outside Kiev, it's still the same like 30 years ago.

It's clear you have some serious emotional issue with Chernobyl tourism, and that's fine, but you're being very irrational. Unless you eat some moss (notorious for radioactive material uptake), you're not going to risk your health to go there. People work within 100 meters of the reactor FULL TIME. The building is monitored and it's barely above background (read: not an exposure risk even 8 hours per day for years). I received more (by several times) radiation on the airplane flights from Kiev back to the USA.

Before you exit you are checked with a full body scanner to ensure your shoes, clothes, and body are not contaminated. They warned us that if your shoes or clothes are contaminated, they don't go to much trouble trying to clean them and they will simply dispose of the affected articles.

I really understand if you were alive then and so nearby as to be affected by the outcome or to know people who were affected, and you can express your displeasure in disaster tourism if you'd like, but don't try to scare people away with a bunch of fictional nonsense.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 30, 2012

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

DNova posted:

I received more (by several times) radiation on the airplane flights from Kiev back to the USA.

Yeah, they told you that.

You need to keep in mind, that those people are no scientists or doctors. They are in tourist business and will say anything to assure you that there is no risque. The country is very poor and they get really good money of you. They often are clueless themselves, and can't really assess the dangers. Also they have no liability at all if you get radiation related cancer or your child will born disabled years after. You are not in the US, in the rural Ukraine people kill for less money than a tourist group will pay.

The area is not mapped radiation-wise. And it's irradiated extremely unevenly.
You can be in the place that's really fine, but step a meter to the side and you are hosed. The explosion threw pieces of the graphite control rods outside of the reactor building, big pieces are now removed, very small ones are still there. Several burial places for crazy bad stuff created in the chaos of the first days of the accident are not documented. You can't know what dust you are breathing in, it could come from very bad places.
Also the sarcophagus was created for 15 years max, now it's decaying and the shape is very bad, but Ukraine can't afford a new one.

Don't play with the radiation people, it will gently caress you up. Also don't trust loving touts.

AntiTank fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 30, 2012

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

They didn't tell me that. They made no claims like that. The tour operator had several integrating geiger counters (dosimeter function) with alarms (which went off several times). I had one for myself and *I* am making the claim that an average transoceanic flight bombards you with several times more radiation. A chest x-ray is orders of magnitude more dangerous than a day in Chernobyl.

Anyways, it's obvious there is no convincing your emotions, so I'll stop the argument here.

If anyone has questions about the tour I'd be happy to answer.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

DNova posted:

They didn't tell me that. They made no claims like that. The tour operator had several integrating geiger counters (dosimeter function) with alarms (which went off several times). I had one for myself and *I* am making the claim that an average transoceanic flight bombards you with several times more radiation. A chest x-ray is orders of magnitude more dangerous than a day in Chernobyl.

Anyways, it's obvious there is no convincing your emotions, so I'll stop the argument here.

I don't know where you get emotions from my last post.

The area is not mapped radiation-wise - this is a fact.
The area is irradiated unevenly - this is a fact.
There are objects lying there that are extremely dangerous - this is a fact.
Every tour operator even warns you about that, they just assume that on the tour path there will be none. They can only assume because there is no maps or inventory of the area. They also recommend a protection suit, mask, or at least closed clothes - guess why? They also make you sign a liability document, what do you think why they do that? Why do you think the area is closed of, because it is safe?
This is dangerous activity, where you wont see the damage directly. And the people who work there are clearly at risk and they know about it, but well, it's their job. Also knowing how to operate a dosimeter don't make you or a tour operator to someone who can assess the dangers.

Now to emotions:
I also think that Chernobyl tours are disrespectful to the victims. You don't help them bu goofing around in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone and paying money to shady people. If you care about the consequences of the accident, if you want Chernobyl experience - go see the people, not some pile of abandoned trash. They need help and those 150 bucks are big money over there.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Rojkir posted:

I live in Amsterdam, the chance that this will actually go through is quite low. The experience with the "wietpas" (weedpass) in the border provinces has been quite problematic and rolling out the system in the rest of the country is now under intens debate.

I wouldn't bet on it when booking my plane ticket, but I'd say there's an 75% chance that the weedpass will not happen. We will know more in a couple of weeks.

New government has published this statement about the wietpas:
De wietpas vervalt, maar de toegang tot coffeeshops blijft voorbehouden aan
ingezetenen die een identiteitsbewijs of verblijfsvergunning, samen met een uittreksel
uit het bevolkingsregister kunnen tonen. De handhaving van dit ingezetenencriterium
geschiedt in overleg met betrokken gemeenten en zonodig gefaseerd, waarbij wordt
aangesloten bij het lokale coffeeshop- en veiligheidsbeleid zodat er sprake is van
lokaal maatwerk.

Roughly translated: Wietpas plans are canceled, but you will have to officially live in The Netherlands to be able to buy weed. However there will be room for local policy upholding and implementing this law. So that probably means more delay for Amsterdam.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

AntiTank posted:

Now to emotions:
I also think that Chernobyl tours are disrespectful to the victims. You don't help them bu goofing around in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone and paying money to shady people. If you care about the consequences of the accident, if you want Chernobyl experience - go see the people, not some pile of abandoned trash. They need help and those 150 bucks are big money over there.

You make good points; are there charities or tours working with Chernobyl victims that you consider better ways to interact with them? I'd be interested in learning about how Chernobyl affected disability policy in the Ukraine (it's part of why I'm here) but so far I've been pretty stymied in trying to find people to talk to on my own. You seem to know a lot about it, so I thought I'd ask.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

AntiTank posted:

I don't know where you get emotions from my last post.

The area is not mapped radiation-wise - this is a fact.
The area is irradiated unevenly - this is a fact.
There are objects lying there that are extremely dangerous - this is a fact.

Source? I'm not really doubting you, but you haven't really shown anything to back up your claims.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hi everyone, my boyfriend and I have got his sister's wedding in London to attend on the 20th July and we're planning to spend a bit of time traveling through Europe while we were over there. We've got the following draft itinerary mapped out:

Fly into London -> Tunnel train to Amsterdam -> Berlin -> Prague -> Fly to London -> London/Wedding -> Edinburgh -> Fly back to London then fly home

We're looking to spend about 5 nights in each city. Can anyone tell me whether this seems like a reasonable plan, or if there are particular cities that we should try to spend more or less time in? Also any recommendations on "must see things" to do would be welcome. For reference, we're both in our 30's, not really drinkers apart from a bit of wine, don't mind a little intoxication through other methods. My boyfriend has a dud ankle that prevents him from walking really long distances but apart from that we're pretty fit and mobile. Thanks :)

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Pinball posted:

You make good points; are there charities or tours working with Chernobyl victims that you consider better ways to interact with them? I'd be interested in learning about how Chernobyl affected disability policy in the Ukraine (it's part of why I'm here) but so far I've been pretty stymied in trying to find people to talk to on my own. You seem to know a lot about it, so I thought I'd ask.

This site is in German, but there are charity names sorted by country, every line is a charity, you can look them up: http://ibb.by/en/education/solidarity

In Kiev you can look for contacts also in these places:
Chernobyl Museum in the Podil Area
Chernobyl Victims Church http://www.panoramio.com/photo/43255111
National Research Centre for Radiation Medicine: http://www.amnu.gov.ua/Default.asp?T=1&MID=1&JID=128&NID=165

The Erland posted:

Source? I'm not really doubting you, but you haven't really shown anything to back up your claims.

Are you kidding me, you think this is "my claim", that the loving CHERNOBYL EXCLUSION ZONE is not a safe place to be? A place where worst nuclear power plant accident in history of mankind happened?
This is common loving knowledge.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

AntiTank posted:

Are you kidding me, you think this is "my claim", that the loving CHERNOBYL EXCLUSION ZONE is not a safe place to be? A place where worst nuclear power plant accident in history of mankind happened?
This is common loving knowledge.

Please stop.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

bee posted:

Hi everyone, my boyfriend and I have got his sister's wedding in London to attend on the 20th July and we're planning to spend a bit of time traveling through Europe while we were over there. We've got the following draft itinerary mapped out:

Fly into London -> Tunnel train to Amsterdam -> Berlin -> Prague -> Fly to London -> London/Wedding -> Edinburgh -> Fly back to London then fly home

We're looking to spend about 5 nights in each city. Can anyone tell me whether this seems like a reasonable plan, or if there are particular cities that we should try to spend more or less time in? Also any recommendations on "must see things" to do would be welcome. For reference, we're both in our 30's, not really drinkers apart from a bit of wine, don't mind a little intoxication through other methods. My boyfriend has a dud ankle that prevents him from walking really long distances but apart from that we're pretty fit and mobile. Thanks :)

That is a fairly sensible itinerary. 5 nights including travel per city will be fine, especially if you aren't planning on doing a lot of travel outside of the cities themselves.
London and Berlin have a lot of stuff to see, you could spend months just visiting these 2. Edinburgh is a great city but 5 days would be too much for me, especially if you aren't planning on visiting any of the countryside and doing some walking. Really depends on how much you want to relax and just wander around or if you want to be visiting sites.
Prague likewise is a great city but in July it will be bursting with Stag parties and other tourists, 5 days could be pretty overwhelming.
If you need to trim, those are the 2 cities I would look at spending less time in.

Also book your trains in advance. They can fill up really quickly and the prices only go up. I think the earliest you can book the Eurostar is 3 months, so stick that in your diary as a reminder.

PlantHead fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 31, 2012

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

PlantHead posted:

That is a fairly sensible itinerary. 5 nights including travel per city will be fine, especially if you aren't planning on doing a lot of travel outside of the cities themselves.
London and Berlin have a lot of stuff to see, you could spend months just visiting these 2. Edinburgh is a great city but 5 days would be too much for me, especially if you aren't planning on visiting any of the countryside and doing some walking. Really depends on how much you want to relax and just wander around or if you want to be visiting sites.
Prague likewise is a great city but in July it will be bursting with Stag parties and other tourists, 5 days could be pretty overwhelming.
If you need to trim those are the 2 cities I would look at spending less time in.

Also book your trains in advance. They can fill up really quickly and the prices only go up. I think the earliest you can book the Eurostar is 3 months, so stick that in your diary as a reminder.

And if all else fails, get a bus on Megabus.com. I've been advertising them a lot in this thread but really if you don't mind spending a whole day on travel it's the cheapest way to go by far.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

PlantHead posted:

Additionally, for lots of useful infomation for using the Eurostar to connect to Amsterdam, have a look at this: http://seat61.com/Netherlands.htm#by Eurostar. That site also has lots of useful information about travelling to Edinburgh from London and general European train travel.

nozz fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 31, 2012

transient
Apr 7, 2005

AntiTank posted:

Really hates Chernobyl

The IAEA seems to disagree with you about the level of danger.

quote:

10. Is it safe to visit the area now?

One may certainly visit the Chernobyl area, including even the exclusion zone, which is a 30 kilometre radius surrounding the plant, all of whose reactors are now closed. Although some of the radioactive isotopes released into the atmosphere still linger (such as Strontium-90 and Caesium-137), they are at tolerable exposure levels for limited periods of time. Some residents of the exclusion zone have returned to their homes at their own free will, and they live in areas with higher than normal environmental radiation levels. However, these levels are not fatal. Exposure to low but unusual levels of radiation over a period of time is less dangerous than exposure to a huge amount at once, and studies have been unable to link any direct increase in cancer risks to chronic low-level exposure.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pinball posted:

I'd be interested in learning about how Chernobyl affected disability policy in the Ukraine (it's part of why I'm here)...

Tangential, but I'd always heard that the reason Japan is so blind-friendly is because of the atomic bombs blinding thousands of people, but apparently that's false and they stigmatized blind people until like 1990. I couldn't find the real reason--do you happen to have any idea? I just spent like 3 hours trying to find it out, ended up reading the Wikipedia page on like Kyrgyzstan at the end before I gave up.

speakerbeeker
Apr 7, 2009
I'm going to Europe for at least 3 months this Summer. I'll be visiting family in Krakow for a few weeks in May then heading off on some great adventure in the beginning of June. I'd really like to explore Eastern Europe and then head back toward Germany where I have some friends. So Krakow in May then end up in Munich in the beginning of August.

I was thinking Odessa, Brasov, Budapest, probably drop by Bratislava, Prague, then Munich. I'm wondering if I can throw some sights in there I might not know about. I know the Carpathians are beautiful and wasn't sure if there was another town not as touristy as Brasov that might be worth seeing.

I'm into the outdoors, but am not too keen on going too far off the beaten track. I'm traveling alone and am a female in my early 20's. I'm open to anything as long as it won't get me Taken.

Also, what's the visa situation for the eurozone? I was in the Middle East for 2 months and just bought a 3 month Visa at the airport. I'm more worried about Germany and Poland where I will be staying for at least a month.

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

speakerbeeker posted:

I'm going to Europe for at least 3 months this Summer. I'll be visiting family in Krakow for a few weeks in May then heading off on some great adventure in the beginning of June. I'd really like to explore Eastern Europe and then head back toward Germany where I have some friends. So Krakow in May then end up in Munich in the beginning of August.

I was thinking Odessa, Brasov, Budapest, probably drop by Bratislava, Prague, then Munich. I'm wondering if I can throw some sights in there I might not know about. I know the Carpathians are beautiful and wasn't sure if there was another town not as touristy as Brasov that might be worth seeing.

I'm into the outdoors, but am not too keen on going too far off the beaten track. I'm traveling alone and am a female in my early 20's. I'm open to anything as long as it won't get me Taken.

Also, what's the visa situation for the eurozone? I was in the Middle East for 2 months and just bought a 3 month Visa at the airport. I'm more worried about Germany and Poland where I will be staying for at least a month.

I can only answer about the romanian part of your trip. Besides Brasov check out Sighisoara, which is still mostly a medieval german town while Brasov, besides the old part of the city, is full of more "modern" communist era apartment blocks and heavy industry.

Closer to Brasov there's Sinaia where you can visit the Peles castle, it doesn't look like much on the outside but inside it's one of the most luxurious and spectacular castles in the world. Also in that general area there's Bran castle, they call it "Dracula's castle" to lure dumb western tourists but it didn't have much to do with Vlad the Impaler; still worth visiting tho.
Also imho you should just travel around in transylvania through villages and stuff, that part of the country is breathtaking and one of the most beautiful places in europe; there's also the western carpathians area (Carpatii Apuseni), which is way less visited by tourists but still great.
If you can work it into your travel plans, more to the north there's the Maramures area and to the north east Bucovina and northern Moldavia, with their medieval painted churches that foreigners really like.
Another thing, instead of hostels or hotels you can try what we call eco-tourism (dunno if its called differently in english), where you stay in some villagers house, eat food from their farms, etc. In the part of Bucovina where I was born (in the northern carpathians towards the ukraine border) there are a shitload of foreigners who do that and come back every year, some french and italians even bought houses and retired there. You should book in advance for that tho.

As for safety issues:
- carpathian forests esp around Brasov are full of bears, they may look cute but there's people (including foreign tourists) who get maimed or killed by bears all the time; bears can even descend into Brasov or other cities and villages looking for food. So just don't go wandering through forests alone, you could also get lost
- avoid Bucharest like the plague, it's a shithole and the worst place in romania
- avoid stray dogs, again they may look cute but you never know when they'll suddenly attack and bite you, or worse; some years ago a japanese tourist was killed by a pack of stray dogs in broad daylight in the middle of bucharest.
- avoid dealing or accepting car rides from shady looking people; some will tell you to only be weary of gypsyes but you should practice some equal opportunity weariness imho. Romania isnt at all less safe than most of western europe, but you'll be a foreigner in an unfamiliar place and some people will try to take advantage of that.

With that said, I hope you have fun and enjoy your visit here.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I really regret not visiting Brasov and other parts of Romania. I made the mistake of going to Bucharest. All I remember is looking at the largest building in the world there and watching stray/wild dogs literally waiting at crosswalks until it was safe to cross the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

DNova posted:

I really regret not visiting Brasov and other parts of Romania. I made the mistake of going to Bucharest. All I remember is looking at the largest building in the world there and watching stray/wild dogs literally waiting at crosswalks until it was safe to cross the street.

This is what I found in Istanbul... how is it even possible that all of the wild dogs are a million times better behaved than the majority of dogs in NA that have gone to 'obedience school'?