Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually from the layout I don't believe that is Famitsu, unless they have changed a lot. Maybe Shonen Jump's game section or something?

Anyway that's odd. DW6 was a failure so it makes sense to bring out DW7 as soon as they could after, but 7 was awesome, why replace it so soon?

Dynasty Warriors 7 will be two years old in March. Even if this came out then, two years isn't unreasonably quick these days.

E: It looks like 2 or 2 1/2 years between Dynasty Warriors numbered releases seems like the norm.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Don't see what's so unusual about it. They've done their Xtreme Legends thing and they're about to put out Empires. They've even put out the requisite Orochi game built on its framework. They've checked all of the boxes on DW7. Not like Koei has anything else to make.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jibo posted:

Dynasty Warriors 7 will be two years old in March. Even if this came out then, two years isn't unreasonably quick these days.

E: It looks like 2 or 2 1/2 years between Dynasty Warriors numbered releases seems like the norm.
Oh wow, has it been that long? Time flies when you're waiting for DW games I guess.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Dynasty Warriors 7 was two years ago? :smith:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Wonder who the new-looking Wei character is. Maybe Yu Jin or Yue Jin?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

GANDHITRON posted:

Wonder who the new-looking Wei character is. Maybe Yu Jin or Yue Jin?

Or much more unlikely, Li Dian.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Double posting cause I figured it out with research. The character is named as Gakushin which is what the Japanese call Yue Jin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yue_Jin Here's a link to those interested in his role in history. This makes 4 out of 5 of the Wei 5 playable.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Some new details about DW8
  • Bringing back seamless transitions between movie and battle
  • Focus on the Jin dynasty :swoon:
  • Yue Jin and Li Dian are the two new additions
  • New Attack: "Storm Rush", activated by having an "edge" over the enemy warlord which allows you to "breakthrough their battle stance and retaliate with a series of swift strikes."
  • New Defensive Option: "Variable Counter", apparently is some kind of Just Guard/Parry sort of thing that can counter enemy warlord attacks and sends them and any other nearby enemy back to get some breathing room. Could be useful on harder modes.
  • New? Offensive Option: "Awakening". The usual thing you've seen in like every other Japanese action game where you get a huge boost to your parameters, also changes your Musou to True Musou and ups the item drop rate.

BOW DOWN TO JIN

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

As long as the bigger focus on Jin isn't more Shu invasions I can't wait.

Edit: Tell Koei to make Jin's story mode exactly the same as Lu Bu's in 6. Ghosts out the rear end and they all want to fight.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

After reading that wiki on Yue Jin, I'm wondering how the hell it is he wasn't in at the start, let alone in after bullshit like Bao Sanniang.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

BOW DOWN TO JIN
So...it will go even further into the future, beyond the fall of Shu? What even happens then warfare-wise?

edit: I mean, unless you wanted to introduce a whole shitload of new characters and do the War of Eight Princes or something.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 31, 2012

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Maybe they should just span all of China's military history and get it out of the way.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

5er posted:

After reading that wiki on Yue Jin, I'm wondering how the hell it is he wasn't in at the start, let alone in after bullshit like Bao Sanniang.

Bao Sanninang rules hard in Warriors Orochi 3. So many large combos, so many Triple Attacks.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So...it will go even further into the future, beyond the fall of Shu? What even happens then warfare-wise?

edit: I mean, unless you wanted to introduce a whole shitload of new characters and do the War of Eight Princes or something.

Well 7 did leave off before Sima Yan toppled Wei.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 31, 2012

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay
I think it is likely that they're going to add more characters, they were continuing to announce characters for WO3 pretty close to the Japanese release and it keeps the hype train going.

Lu Kang seems likely if they're having a bigger focus on the Jin era.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

They just really need more Jin dudes. At the end of DW7 most of them were either dead or turned on you midway.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Lu Su loving where, Koei?! I want a Wu strategist who isn't an insufferable prick :mad:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

EDIT 2: Here are Zhou Yu, Sun Shang Xiang, and Li Dian

EDIT: Wait I think I misread here. They're re-designs of older officers?

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 31, 2012

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Chachi posted:

Lu Su loving where, Koei?! I want a Wu strategist who isn't an insufferable prick :mad:

Wu constantly gets shafted in the character department. I'm pretty sure most of the Wu crew is the same from the 4th game onwards.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

5er posted:

You'd be surprised how many importantish characters are left in the rosters for everyone. Here's a short list of who I want to see in the 8.

Shu:
Ma Liang/Ma Su
Chen Dao
Liao Hua
Liu Feng

Wei:
Cao Zhi
Yu Jin
Man Chong
Wang Lang

Wu:
Lu Su
Zhuge Jin
Zhu Huan
Cheng Pu
Lu Kang

Other:
Gongsun Zan
Huo Tua
Zhang Lu

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I've kinda always wanted Liao Hua as a playable character because it'd give Zhang Jiao an actual PC lieutenant. All the other 'Other' characters have PCs in their armies - Yuan Shao has Zhang He & Zhen Ji, Dong Zhuo has Lu Bu and Zhang Liao, etc. - parity or something for the Yellow Turbans. Plus I think they could do a cool story of a man who has literally lived through the entire thing - from the Yellow Turbans to the Fall of Shu. Think they've shied away from him because Huang Zhong has always had the 'Old Veteran fighting way past him prime' niche locked down, and the story that Liao Hua was basically regarded AS a generic in history. Some quote goes I believe "As Shu's Heroes die, Liao Hua emerges.", writing him off as second class.

Also have kinda wanted Chen Gong as a PC too since the Dynasty Warriors 6 Lu Bu/Diao Chan stories. He has a decent true story, and you could make a fun character out of "The Man manipulating the raging beast".

DW7 showed they weren't afraid of healing Musuos anymore. Have to wonder how bullshit they'd have to make it to do it justice compared to the bullshit you could pull with Yuan Shao/Pang Tong/Guo Hai.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The official page is open.

It says there will be "what if" scenarios for if generals had survived certain battles. If done right that could be really cool...if done right.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

It says there will be "what if" scenarios for if generals had survived certain battles. If done right that could be really cool...if done right.

Anyone have any better translations on the weapons for the new characters than what google offers me? Double Hook for Yue Jin sounds fine but a Revolving Halberd Car sounds a bit off for Li Dian.

Edit: Looks like it wasn't far off:

Belzac fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 1, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Belzac posted:

Anyone have any better translations on the weapons for the new characters than what google offers me? Double Hook for Yue Jin sounds fine but a Revolving Halberd Car sounds a bit off for Li Dian.

Edit: Looks like it wasn't far off:

Yep, that is definitely a revolving halberd car. Well, given that the word from car is derived from the word for wheel.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
With a Revolving Halberd Car, one DOES simply drive into Mordor.

so sorry

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Wasn't Cao Zhi just a drunk and a poet, whereas Cao Zhang fought a lot of campaigns in the north?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

GANDHITRON posted:

Wasn't Cao Zhi just a drunk and a poet,

Pretty sure this series doesn't care if anyone even threw a single punch in either history or the Novel.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wish I could be in charge of coming up with weapon ideas for DW. The next new general's weapon will be a spinning...chain...bookshelf...launcher.

Because they were originally a librarian you see, who was temporarily hired as a tactician by Cao Cao or someone.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

abagofcheetos posted:

With a Revolving Halberd Car, one DOES simply drive into Mordor.

so sorry

One day we will have LOTR meets Dynasty Warriors. Part of you knows this, part of you wants this.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Eventually one of the tacticians will just be fighting using a Chinese chess board, complete with precariously balanced chess pieces.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Bloodly posted:

One day we will have LOTR meets Dynasty Warriors. Part of you knows this, part of you wants this.

We did. Or it was at least LOTR meets Star Wars Battlefront.

Lord of the Rings: Conquest.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yess... I miss this from some of the older games. Rolling up into He Fei castle as Sun Jian and having a showdown between Cao Cao and Liu Bei at Wuzhang Plains.

Edit: And more than one or two levels as Pang Tong.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 1, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Any word on if characters have unique move lists now? Is weapon switching still in?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ybrik posted:

Edit: Tell Koei to make Jin's story mode exactly the same as Lu Bu's in 6. Ghosts out the rear end and they all want to fight.

I remember Zhuge Liang's ghost appearing in the second-to-last Jin campaign. And though it was pretty :psyduck: at first, I was disappointed nothing more was done with it. I was half expecting the entire pass to ignite on fire, but nope, he was in and out of there and there was no further mention of it.

So a new Dynasty Warrior Game :toot: I suppose this means I'll need to get a PS3 or WiiU. Probably the latter-nothing else that's on the PS3 but not the 360 excites me, and both Bayonetta 2 and WO3 Hyper have sparked my interest in getting a WiiU.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

I remember Zhuge Liang's ghost appearing in the second-to-last Jin campaign. And though it was pretty :psyduck: at first, I was disappointed nothing more was done with it. I was half expecting the entire pass to ignite on fire, but nope, he was in and out of there and there was no further mention of it.

So a new Dynasty Warrior Game :toot: I suppose this means I'll need to get a PS3 or WiiU. Probably the latter-nothing else that's on the PS3 but not the 360 excites me, and both Bayonetta 2 and WO3 Hyper have sparked my interest in getting a WiiU.

You only say this because you haven't played Sengoku Basara 3.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Jibo posted:

You only say this because you haven't played Sengoku Basara 3.
Which is also on Wii.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I hope DW8 returns to previous difficulties, they do no favors making an already repetitive game too easy.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
I think they've started the curve back to more difficult, haven't they? I seem to remember the archers being a little more threatening in recent games. Nothing like DW3 lethality, though. Christ, I hated those fuckers.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

I think they've started the curve back to more difficult, haven't they? I seem to remember the archers being a little more threatening in recent games. Nothing like DW3 lethality, though. Christ, I hated those fuckers.

In WO3 a group of archers on anything higher than easy would always ruin my missions where I had to keep an eye on my health. And all swordsmen everywhere would always do the leaping attack to lead in so you need to start attacking before they even get to you.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

It's 2012 and it's the 7th installment, so why again do I have to unlock 60 characters manually without being able to play story mode co-operatively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sarkozymandias posted:

It's 2012 and it's the 7th installment, so why again do I have to unlock 60 characters manually without being able to play story mode co-operatively?
I was gonna say "lack of competition keeps them from innovating" but there is Basara now too, so what gives?