Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stacking up absorb shields on my weirdo Ego Blades/Empathy hybrid tended to do the trick for defense. Only downside on my original build: I needed to have at least one shield up when Therakiel is doing his big final stage attack or I would instantly die, even while blocking. :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Bluhman posted:

I have a tendency to make metal-slime builds; high defense, lots of heals, and aside from any CON superstatting, fuckall boosts to health.

Metal slimes couldn't heal. :raise: But that is a fantastic term anyway and I'm using it from now on.

I tend to do the same most of the time. I figure max health is meaningless if you can outheal incoming damage, so the only time I raise it is if I'm dying before I can react.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bluhman posted:

I might be devaluating the importance of max. health. I have a tendency to make metal-slime builds; high defense, lots of heals, and aside from any CON superstatting, fuckall boosts to health.

Apologies if I'm missing something, but what do you mean by "metal-slime"?

Thanks.

VVVV I guess I didn't understand what the "slime" meant. :tipshat:

prefect fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 2, 2012

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

prefect posted:

Apologies if I'm missing something, but what do you mean by "metal-slime"?

Thanks.

He described it in that post. "high defense, lots of heals, and aside from any CON superstatting, fuckall boosts to health."

The idea being to focus on preventing damage coming in rather than soaking it with a large health pool. The Metal is the mitigation, the Slime is the low health pool.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

prefect posted:

I guess I didn't understand what the "slime" meant. :tipshat:

Metal Slimes are a monster from the Dragon Quest series with the aforementioned attributes (ridiculously hard to penetrate defenses but measly HP), unless I'm misremembering my Metal Slime stats.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Vermain posted:

Metal Slimes are a monster from the Dragon Quest series with the aforementioned attributes (ridiculously hard to penetrate defenses but measly HP), unless I'm misremembering my Metal Slime stats.

I'm not very up on Dragon Quest but I'm fairly certain this is how it works, where they essentially take 1 damage per hit. The idea's been used in other RPGs, and I know that's how it works in them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also run away, so you need to kill them fast to get the experience (Which is a lot.)

That part's not relevant to CO, of course.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
On the other hand, having a lot of health and lots of self healing with not as much defense works well for me. Siphoning Strikes is the best advantage, seriously. It's like playing a regen scrapper in CoH except you don't have to stop attacking to heal.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So the game is pretty fun and doesn't feel STO-ish at all, which is a great thing. It scratches that superhero-MMO itch pretty well since CoH is going offline in a few weeks.

Despite the differences though, I'm getting the feeling from playing that CO is similar to STO in one respect: it seems perfectly do-able to play through the game solo. Is that true?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Totally. The only really group-mandatory things are a few dungeon instances nobody ever does, and the alerts because they shove you in a group for them automatically.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Asimo posted:

Totally. The only really group-mandatory things are a few dungeon instances nobody ever does, and the alerts because they shove you in a group for them automatically.

Really that's closer to soloing while other people just happen to be there, rather than actually teaming. Very rarely does actual teamwork happen in alerts. Which is to say, expect to have all the aggro all the time if you do anything resembling damage even if there's a tank present, and expect any healers present to spend all their time attacking.

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 4, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vehicles this week.

Very short preview on PC Gamer.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Looks like the Nighthawk jets will get color customization to go along with the slot stuff everything else has, basically just be on par with other vehicles in terms with customization. That's nice, I was worried they'd halfass that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

Looks like the Nighthawk jets will get color customization to go along with the slot stuff everything else has, basically just be on par with other vehicles in terms with customization. That's nice, I was worried they'd halfass that.

Sweet. Now I can transfer my jet over and have a proper BatSpiderplane.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
The weirdass easter eggs that the developers sneak in never cease to amuse me. After doing Metals of Dishonor for like the 60th time, I suddenly noticed the item names of the rewards.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
For an insane man dead set on the simple gimmick that is 'Laser Knight ASAP' (The Power Armor shield advantage), what melee (aside from claws, gently caress claws) would look coolest with it?

Or does the shield not show up and only give you the stats modifier?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It shows up briefly on your left arm when it triggers. Same as if you had blocked, except without a block animation (So your arm can just be hanging at your side or whatever the animation is.)

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Section Z posted:

For an insane man dead set on the simple gimmick that is 'Laser Knight ASAP' (The Power Armor shield advantage), what melee (aside from claws, gently caress claws) would look coolest with it?

Or does the shield not show up and only give you the stats modifier?

It shows up whenever you do melee attacks. I think it looks neat with Ego Blades, but power armor also has its own in-set particle blades now. There's also single blade, but there's not a ton of AoE options with that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Allatum posted:

It shows up whenever you do melee attacks. I think it looks neat with Ego Blades, but power armor also has its own in-set particle blades now. There's also single blade, but there's not a ton of AoE options with that.
Never tried Ego blades, so that could be for some maximum 'trying new things' value... As well as "I have no goddamned clue what I'm doing" value. Like, Superstat preferences would be what? Primary EGO with DEX and... Something?

Is heavy weapons no good, or does it just look boring aside from 'HUGE weapon!'

I think I'll go with Ego since 'energy' melee weapons set, and more new things to try. Things will already be crazy enough as it is with a Shield power at level 10 or below.

The PA blades are nifty, but there are not ENOUGH of them.

Fake Edit: I've heard mentioned that TK is lackluster compared to other sets, but this is for a fabulous* robot knight

*Robot knight might not be very fabulous.

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I was figuring EGO primary instead of Dex because Ego blades scale off EGO, so my logic went "Primary for what makes things hurt more is good right? :downs:" Though I'll take your word for it that DEX primary would be better. Especially since DEX primary gets stats=defense

Third super stat would be what, recovery? Constitution for giggles and free HP?

Also, crazy question. Do both versions of 'The Best Defense' From Warden and Guardian Stack?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 6, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, TK is one of the better sets.

Also you probably want to primary Dex, not Ego. Ego is a ranged power stat, so the specializations reflect that. You still want it as a superstat though, because Ego Blades scale off of it.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Section Z posted:

Also, crazy question. Do both versions of 'The Best Defense' From Warden and Guardian Stack?

I would imagine they probably do, but there's pretty severe diminishing returns on pretty much everything in this game so you likely wouldn't see as big a bonus as you thought from doing that. Generally I go warden or guardian then vindicator. Cause having my defense buffing my offense and my offense buffing my defense at the same time amuses me even though I have no idea if that actually even works.

Does make the stats screen spazz out hilariously whenever I swap equipment, though.

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 7, 2012

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Also you probably want to primary Dex, not Ego. Ego is a ranged power stat, so the specializations reflect that. You still want it as a superstat though, because Ego Blades scale off of it.

Go Dex if you want to have some dodge focus. Considering that you'll most likely be using Laser Knight instead of Parry, as well as Ego Form instead of Quarry/Way of the Warrior/Whatever, Dex's spec tree bonuses might not fit your bill.

In contrast, While Dex does have some good specs that boost crit chance, Ego's specs just get downright obscene with what it can do. On a completely non ego-blades related character, an EGO/Dex/Str combo rests at a critical chance of 51%. Combine that sort of resting value with a set that's made to further boost that chance, as well as utilize various self-heals and buffs whenever it crits, and you will have an extremely deadly melee fighter.

Basically, my intuition from newly discovering just how badass Ego and Strength are tell me that you should primary Ego, but pour more points into Dex. The combination of Ego's "Sixth Sense" specialization, combined with an extremely high Dexterity stat, will produce the maximal critical rate possible.

Section Z posted:

They do. I've gotten a character up to 600 Offense this way. It might be rather badly effected by diminishing returns, though, so I'm going to compare base damage rates between a super offense-specialized character, and a character with criticals mixed in heavily.

EDIT:

General Maximus posted:

Cause having my defense buffing my offense and by offense buffing my defense at the same time amuses me even though I have no idea if that actually even works.

Does make the stats screen spazz out hilariously whenever I swap equipment, though.

The feedback loop indeed works. They clearly thought this out, because if the Vindicator specialization had given you 100% extra defense per offense, well :aaaaa:

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 6, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Cool, thanks for all the wonderful advice everyone. I'm not worrying about optimization so much as 'Don't gently caress this up TOO bad'. Which is where my fascination of 'let's make my third superstat CON instead of recovery or something! :downs:' threatens me.

ID Mastery was the general idea yeah, since big Ego Blades buff. The very basic premise is "Get Energy Shield for Laser Knight around lv 14 (after the Ego Blade non-lunge basics, energy passive, and slotted offense passive), Go Melee Offense Role, flail about like spaz". level 15+ is a big mystery, starting with 'which is cooler, Blade Breach or Blade Annihilation?'

The rest is getting there and beyond without self destructing too hard. Like "Mental endurance is probably useless, but 100% energy recovery SOUNDS cool, shiny red candy like pointless choices..." Though at least in that case, can max Agression and Force of will, while still being able to for fun dip one point into Mental endurance. Cause Insight (ranged cost reduction) be pointless on the Ego Blade Bot.

Totally going EGO primary, because 'It's called Ego Blades :downs:', but glad to hear it can work out juuust fine.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 7, 2012

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Section Z posted:

level 15+ is a big mystery, starting with 'which is cooler, Blade Breach or Blade Annihilation?'

Personally, I have ego weaponry and ego blade annihilation in mine. With the mental acuity advantage it makes for some pretty good crits if you build 5 stacks of ego leech first.

That said, if I could fit it in I'd take breach as well for the debuff. But I didn't have room. Something else to consider as well, is taking ID Mastery instead of Ego Form. It's designed more for a melee build.

Also, on a vaguely related note - if I wanted to take both laser swords and one or more ranged power armor attacks in the same build, what passive do I want? Every offensive passive I could find only boosts some stuff. Electric form is all energy damage which includes particle damage, but then I couldn't take missiles and such cause they're not energy. Why doesn't power armor have a melee passive like telekinesis does? Also, what do laser swords scale with? Strength or ego?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Breach has a cool animation though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

General Maximus posted:

Why doesn't power armor have a melee passive like telekinesis does? Also, what do laser swords scale with? Strength or ego?
I wish I could answer your question after giving me answers to mine. All I can assume, is that Power Armor is 'Supposed' to either be an Invulnerability tank, or Target Computer artillery mans. Laser sword was 'just a cool thing it has'. So PA just seems screwed over in the mix department.

Aphrodite posted:

Breach has a cool animation though.

This is why I come here for my advice :allears:

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Laser sword was originally just one power though. Which means at some point they went and added the extra ones - the energy builder, the cone, the second single target one - and didn't think to put a passive in as well.

And screwed over in the mix department has always been PA's thing. Do the chest/hand/shoulder slot powers still lock out non-PA powers?

Bluhman posted:

The feedback loop indeed works. They clearly thought this out, because if the Vindicator specialization had given you 100% extra defense per offense, well :aaaaa:

I have to wonder what order those apply in, though. If I have both, is my offense being buffed by my defense AFTER my defense is buffed by my offense? The other way around? Does it just use base values for buffing both?

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Maybe I'm slow, but did I miss something? I can't get to the champions website or launch the game. Derp.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Yup, apparently other people are having trouble with the patching server or something. It's noted on the launcher, main page, and with people on the official forums complaining.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Bluhman posted:

Yup, apparently other people are having trouble with the patching server or something. It's noted on the launcher, main page, and with people on the official forums complaining.

Ah, so basically every location I can't see. Awesome.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

whatspeakyou posted:

Maybe I'm slow, but did I miss something? I can't get to the champions website or launch the game. Derp.

Yeah, nothing about it on the Steam forum for the game and the launcher did not even come up until I verified the cache. So you are not the only one.

I am thinking of making the switch over to a paid account since I am digging the free version so far.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's been so long, so I've forgotten all the intricacies of rigging your controls for Melee dive in and flail about style.

Melee can ignore selected target was something I remembered, assigning mouse look on/off to a key I remembered... But I can't remember how to make it 'target' what's in front of you instead of needing to tab to them when I want to change up my energy builder target/slash at someone in front of me instead of my stabs always orienting towards the "target".

Slicking M1 does absolutely nothing while in mouse look mode despite there being an option for an aim reticule. hitting M1+M2 to walk forwards while hitting my number keys for powers so my fingers don't twist in knots trying to walk forwards and hit multiple attacks at the same time just cancels mouse look.

Or is there no way to have "Energy builder is always on spazzing about until you turn it off or retarget" along side "always attack straight in front of you"?

I used to have something workable, but it's been so long I wonder if it wasn't as good as I thought I had it? I have 'melee can ignore auto target' but that doesnt seem to be doing anything... Unless that means it will only override AUTO target, and once a target is locked gently caress you.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 7, 2012

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
It sounds like you've got "select auto target on attack" on. As long as you don't manually select anything you'll probably be golden after that from the sounds of things.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
So since I managed not to die during my trip to Atlantis, I decided to poke at Force characters for fun. Am I reading things wrong or are force powers just really, really terrible?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

So since I managed not to die during my trip to Atlantis, I decided to poke at Force characters for fun. Am I reading things wrong or are force powers just really, really terrible?
They're not that bad really, and it's a better than it used to be. Just not as good straight damage as the other elemental sets, and its trademark nuke Force Cascade is actually pretty useless in practice thanks to its crippling energy costs and energy form negation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You used to be able to bubble yourself with Force's EB's advantage then consume that with Cascade fairly often since it had a good proc rate, but they changed Cascade's debuff to block all forms for 8 seconds so it's much less useful now.

You also used to be able to build a character who could alpha a full Cascade, that might still be possible.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

You used to be able to bubble yourself with Force's EB's advantage then consume that with Cascade fairly often since it had a good proc rate, but they changed Cascade's debuff to block all forms for 8 seconds so it's much less useful now.

You also used to be able to build a character who could alpha a full Cascade, that might still be possible.

Didn't that require being in support role for the higher equilibrium, though?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

General Maximus posted:

Most likely.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

It sounds like you've got "select auto target on attack" on. As long as you don't manually select anything you'll probably be golden after that from the sounds of things.
Sweet, thanks. I knew I forgot something :downs:

EDIT: And some good times getting used to the game again with another returning pal were had. Psychic Robot and Demon with Guns! :black101:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

General Maximus posted:

That or Rec statting or clever use of energy returns.

Quarry is much preferable to using Kinetic Manipulation; Force Cascade won't eat through it, meaning that you can continue using other attacks at full strength after letting loose a blast. That said, you'll have to resort to other methods to get an energy form active, but it really shouldn't be too big a problem with active offenses, Circle of Arcane Power, and Energy Refraction on your Force Bolts.

But really, I have an EGO primary character with Int/End secondaries that can tap-spam cascade quite reliably.