Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Using it as HTPC? Buy a Mac Mini
Using it as desktop with external mouse/keyboard? Lift up the lid and enjoy a second monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Yesterday I bought a new new MacMini (latest gen) and first day impressions are great, I really like it even though I'm using it as a server.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Bob Morales posted:

Using it as HTPC? Buy a Mac Mini
Using it as desktop with external mouse/keyboard? Lift up the lid and enjoy a second monitor
Yes, those are some great suggestions... The fact of the matter is that it's silly as gently caress that you have to plug in fifty things in order to watch movies on a TV with the lid closed.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Get an Apple TV and use AirPlay.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Xabi posted:

Yes, those are some great suggestions... The fact of the matter is that it's silly as gently caress that you have to plug in fifty things in order to watch movies on a TV with the lid closed.

What's wrong with 0% brightness on the laptop display and full screen on the TV?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Neurophonic posted:

What's wrong with 0% brightness on the laptop display and full screen on the TV?

This is what I do.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neurophonic posted:

It just turns off the back light but still runs (and damages) the display. If it actually disabled the display I'd be happy with that solution.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Stick100 posted:

It just turns off the back light but still runs (and damages) the display. If it actually disabled the display I'd be happy with that solution.

You might be looking for ctrl-shift-eject then, which turns the display (and keyboard backlight) off and turns on the breathing light to full. Basically just puts your display to sleep right away the same as if you'd let the computer idle for the X minutes set in the Energy Saver pref pane.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

G5ANDY posted:

Just found something new in OS X. Hold down the command key when hovering over "Recent Items" from the Apple dropdown, it adds show in finder instead of just opening the file.
Speaking of showing in Finder, anyone ever have the Finder stop responding to that kind of stuff? Like Chrome and Safari won't switch to the Finder to show a download, Spotlight won't switch and show a search result, etc. It seems to work fine after startup but breaks at some point during normal usage.

I have some hacky stuff, specifically Afloat (through SIMBL), BetterTouchTool, and Moom. I'm assuming it's related to them but just wondering if anyone has seen the same thing with or without hacks. Almost forgot to mention OS version, I'm on the latest 10.8.whatever.

Abjad Soup posted:

You might be looking for ctrl-shift-eject then, which turns the display (and keyboard backlight) off and turns on the breathing light to full. Basically just puts your display to sleep right away the same as if you'd let the computer idle for the X minutes set in the Energy Saver pref pane.
Doesn't that sleep all displays? He just wants the MBP one off while using an external.

japtor fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 31, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Abjad Soup posted:

Does that allow me to use an external monitor without driving the main display?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Stick100 posted:

Does that allow me to use an external monitor without driving the main display?

Nope. I just checked it. It sleeps my external too.

Solution: Buy an appleTV and airplay!

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Stick100 posted:

Could you tell me a bit more about this?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

ConfusedUs (among others) posted:

Nope. I just checked it. It sleeps my external too.

Solution: Buy an appleTV and airplay!

poo poo, sorry y'all. I haven't used an external screen for movie playing in quite a number of months and thought that ctrl-shift-eject kept the external display on.

Didion: I'm guessing Stick100 is just referring the normal wear-n-tear on a monitor that is displaying an image. If you leave a static image up for a long time, it can cause burn-in, hence screensavers. But modern CRTs are much better about preventing burn-in, and it's never been anywhere near the issue for LCDs as it was for CRTs. (This is all as best I can recall, at least.)

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

Abjad Soup posted:

This also doesn't work with Airs, correct? Because there's no eject button.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TheState posted:

Just out of curosity, I just tried this with my MBPr with my external keyboard (I just got one of those stands for my laptop to bring it up to eye level). Thankfully, the eject key on my external keyboard does put my laptop's screen to sleep when I Control+Shift+Eject it.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

TheState posted:

:science: control + shift + fn + power works on the MBA.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

IUG posted:

Just out of curosity, I just tried this with my MBPr with my external keyboard (I just got one of those stands for my laptop to bring it up to eye level). Thankfully, the eject key on my external keyboard does put my laptop's screen to sleep when I Control+Shift+Eject it.

Gism0 posted:

:science: control + shift + fn + power works on the MBA.

Weird, I could have sworn I tried this and it didn't work before. I am some sort of idiot.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Didion posted:

Could you tell me a bit more about this?

Keeping the lid open with the screen off serves these purposes; it allows for maximum cooling of the MacBook because heat dissipates through the keyboard, and it allows the GPU to devote all of it’s power to the external screen.

Several websites have stood by "wear-and-tear" from the running the pixels even with the brightness down. I have no defense for the fact what I said seems stupid but it does seem reasonable to think that you might be shortening the life of your display if it spends thousands of hours unnecessarily working the rgb sub-pixels when the brightness is all the way down.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

TheState posted:

Weird, I could have sworn I tried this and it didn't work before. I am some sort of idiot.

This did not work in Lion.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Stick100 posted:

Keeping the lid open with the screen off serves these purposes; it allows for maximum cooling of the MacBook because heat dissipates through the keyboard, and it allows the GPU to devote all of it’s power to the external screen.

Are you not using a macbook pro? Because I thought the mbp was pushing its heat through the back vents, not the keyboard...

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Apparently a beta of 10.8.3 has been sent to devs (at least according to appleinsider).

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

vtlock posted:

Are you not using a macbook pro? Because I thought the mbp was pushing its heat through the back vents, not the keyboard...

I pushes it through but the keyboard and the surrounding area get hot anyway, especially the area just around the function buttons (because it's above where the heat is meant to leave the body), at least it does on my MBP.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

vtlock posted:

Using MBA and rMBP, the heat goes out the back vents and when closed goes straight down, but when open shoots across the screen (back vents and up). The macs seem to stay cooler with the lid opened then closed. I made my peace with this issue a long time ago, just the complaint is that something like this seems so simple and Windows has had it figured our for years. It's a little aggravating to have to resort to magnets and command line hacks just to disable an unused display.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Safari 6.0.2 bringing security updates and iPhoto 9.4.2 dealing mostly with shared photo streams are out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm running 10.6.8, and am looking for a program that converts wmv files to... anything, really. Quicktime Pro won't touch it. I'm trying to score a short video in Logic, and wmv files are no-go.

Most likely because it's the shittiest video format known to man.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm running 10.6.8, and am looking for a program that converts wmv files to... anything, really. Quicktime Pro won't touch it. I'm trying to score a short video in Logic, and wmv files are no-go.

Handbrake?

http://handbrake.fr

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nope, that was the second thing I tried after QT Pro. Thanks, though!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It largely depends on what codec WMV is using. There are Codecs like MSS2 which some CBTs use, for example, that you basically won't be able to read/convert on OSX without so much elbow grease that it would be faster and easier to just do the conversion on a Windows machine.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Maybe Max? http://sbooth.org/Max/#download

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Flip4Mac?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Try Videomonkey.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

UPDATE: Handbrake works, turns out I had an older version. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I hate wmv.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

now, when you buy an album, song, movie or TV show on any device, it’s instantly accessible in your iTunes library on your Mac or PC. Just double-click to play. Or if you’re going offline — say, taking your notebook on a plane — click the new Download button and bring a copy with you.

This tid about the new iTunes suggests that I'll be able to play (stream) my purchased music or download it.

Am I missing something? I would love to stream all my music from the cloud.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
That's been the case with iTunes Match, plus music you didn't buy through the iTunes Store.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Safari 6.0.2 update hangs for me :(.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

wolffenstein posted:

That's been the case with iTunes Match, plus music you didn't buy through the iTunes Store.

Ah so it seems they'll be extending that feature to purchases as well.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

terriyaki posted:

I get the same thing. Maybe the servers are just overloaded, I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Safari 6.0.2 works fine for me, even with pages with embedded Java.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

terriyaki posted:

I'm getting this too. I'll try again tomorrow..

edit: works today!

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

crazysim posted:

This did not work in Lion.

Oh, good. I feel better.