Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Wait, none of the lines from Boltic to Middleport/Deep Bend were saved? That's awful. I could've sworn that at least one was kept in service, since it's an obvious enough connection that was simply weighed down by having three competing lines... :ohdear:

I vote that we take a look at Orangewich. If they're so intent on using these motor-carriages, they can serve as a laboratory for the rest of the state on how to fit those horrid things in with everything else.

And Jaguars!, what is that, why would anybody build islands with sharp corners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Hedera Helix posted:

Wait, none of the lines from Boltic to Middleport/Deep Bend were saved? That's awful. I could've sworn that at least one was kept in service, since it's an obvious enough connection that was simply weighed down by having three competing lines... :ohdear:

Since they have been abandoned I'm sure you should be able to take one back into service. Or build an entirely new line to match modern standards. :v:

Any thoughts by people on any missing bits in the road networks? We seem pretty well covered to my eye except for the couple of towns which were set up with only rail access.

Munin fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 1, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Jaguars! posted:

Traffic Engineering :allears:

Here

B-b-but... traffic calming! (I hope nobody who lives there ever needs a fire truck or ambulance.)

Hedera Helix posted:

I vote that we take a look at Orangewich. If they're so intent on using these motor-carriages, they can serve as a laboratory for the rest of the state on how to fit those horrid things in with everything else.

And Jaguars!, what is that, why would anybody build islands with sharp corners?

You can feel free to revive any of those lines. Just might have trouble turning a profit, is all.

As for Orangewich, probably not the best choice. Anything that the citizens feel compromises the town's character will be blocked. Here is a partial list of things that compromise the town's character:

- Railroad spurs
- Railyards
- Most roads
- Streetcars

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Cichlidae posted:

B-b-but... traffic calming! (I hope nobody who lives there ever needs a fire truck or ambulance.)

You can feel free to revive any of those lines. Just might have trouble turning a profit, is all.

As for Orangewich, probably not the best choice. Anything that the citizens feel compromises the town's character will be blocked. Here is a partial list of things that compromise the town's character:

- Railroad spurs
- Railyards
- Most roads
- Streetcars

I will support his effort to revive the line, also, are newfangled "diesel fuel" buses ready yet, since we can't have streetcars, we will also run a company that funnels people to and from the stations, a true monopoly on transit! That way, we can have our buses subsidies our trains!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

As another traffic post. How much do you prepping is there about how to handle traffic as you're setting up for roadworks? Are there clear guidelines about having things like a couple of people directing traffic when the proper signage and or signals haven't been put up yet?

The reason I ask is that going into work this morning road workers had essentially created an unresolvable gridlock and seemed to be just standing there not doing anything about the situation.

They had three lorries for rubble parked down the road and a steam roller and other equipment parked further up with a significant gap between the two. You ended up with a bus not being able to pass the steam roller etc due to backed up traffic and the backed up traffic not being able to clear because another bus couldn't merge back in after the parked lorries and couldn't reverse due to cars having followed it.

I should have taken some photos because it was the perfect snarl up but I was running late for work due to that entire mess. The bus is usually faster...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

Ah. In that case, it can be done by Ryand-Smith.

Cichlidae posted:

- Railroad spurs
- Railyards
- Most roads
- Streetcars

I don't see "giant greenbelt that reaches halfway to Fairport" on that list, surely they'd jump at the chance for (and fully fund) that, right? :)

We should also build a road running from Meridian to Dersonia, then to Bridgefield this turn. With the rail market still on uneven ground, it would make sense for that connection to be made with something that poses less risk. Also, if it could be squeezed in, a short line running between East Hartshire and Nederfield, although if there's no way to connect it to the other lines and/or tram network without bulldozing an unacceptable number of orphanages, then never mind.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Ryand-Smith posted:

I will support his effort to revive the line, also, are newfangled "diesel fuel" buses ready yet, since we can't have streetcars, we will also run a company that funnels people to and from the stations, a true monopoly on transit! That way, we can have our buses subsidies our trains!

Diesel buses won't be around for another 30 years, at least. Motor vehicles are still made artisanally, and at high cost.

Munin posted:

As another traffic post. How much do you prepping is there about how to handle traffic as you're setting up for roadworks? Are there clear guidelines about having things like a couple of people directing traffic when the proper signage and or signals haven't been put up yet?

The reason I ask is that going into work this morning road workers had essentially created an unresolvable gridlock and seemed to be just standing there not doing anything about the situation.

They had three lorries for rubble parked down the road and a steam roller and other equipment parked further up with a significant gap between the two. You ended up with a bus not being able to pass the steam roller etc due to backed up traffic and the backed up traffic not being able to clear because another bus couldn't merge back in after the parked lorries and couldn't reverse due to cars having followed it.

I should have taken some photos because it was the perfect snarl up but I was running late for work due to that entire mess. The bus is usually faster...

They are SUPPOSED to. Our Maintenance guys have special plans for setting up a closure. I know this, because I'm the one who made them. How closely they adhere to them in the field is another story.

For any freeway lane closure longer than 8 hours, we will typically have cops who slow down and park in the closed lane, then the cones/drums and signs are installed from the back forward. The cop moves out of the lane once the installation is done, then the work vehicles can pull in, and work commences.

If it's less than 8 hours, you have a chain of trucks with giant flashing arrows on the back in place of the cones/drums. Pretty simple. What you described shouldn't happen if they're following a standard pattern.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, that's silly.

A: "Let's put in some trees on the edge of the road that people have to go around to slow them down."
B: "But can't people just drive fast down the middle of the road?"
A: "I know how to fix that..."

It also seems like just a fundamentally bad idea to have a tree in the middle of what was a legitimate lane 50 feet ago.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

nielsm posted:

Manbury doesn't have a good connection to the coast, I propose building the final edge of a wye between Waterbridge/Nogahyde/Manbury.

As was it prophesied, so shall it be made!

Munin posted:

I'll probably regret it but if I could (the current owner doesn't object) I'd like to buy up the Hartshire-Mutnap line and rights to the railbanked section in order to bring it back into operation. I would the shut down part of the operating section to make the line divert towards W. Hartshire to provide it with a rail service.

I would then also set up a town and resort with rail and road access here:

With the fresh clean air for healthful sanatoria, nature and mountains at the ready for bracing walks and exercise for the more active visitor.

I vote for Middleport-Meridian. That way we will have had a look at all the major conurbations before moving on to the new century.

And the line in-between is back to active service. Your little town gets built, too.

That is PLENTY of towns, though, so please nobody else request more.

Jaguars! posted:

Turn the abandoned rail from Colhampton to Lake Oliver into a turnpike.

Easily done!

Ryand-Smith posted:

No buses, but with your pooled money, you can have a line. (No .gif for this one, but trust me, it's there now, nice and pink!)

Hedera Helix posted:

We should also build a road running from Meridian to Dersonia, then to Bridgefield this turn. With the rail market still on uneven ground, it would make sense for that connection to be made with something that poses less risk. Also, if it could be squeezed in, a short line running between East Hartshire and Nederfield, although if there's no way to connect it to the other lines and/or tram network without bulldozing an unacceptable number of orphanages, then never mind.

I can tell you right now that the line between East Hartshire and Nederfield won't turn a profit. Do you want to build it anyway?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

I can tell you right now that the line between East Hartshire and Nederfield won't turn a profit. Do you want to build it anyway?

I guess not, if it can't even support an interurban. :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Interurbans didn't take off until electric traction became practical in roughly the 1895-1900 time period. Their relative speed in comparison to horse drawn services and the fact that you could run 'em on much more cheaply built lines with lighter/cheaper rails than steam services were behind that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where's all the signage on that "traffic calming" ?? Here they usually put the yellow and black stripey things or median warnings up while it's still under construction, you know, so they don't get sued to hell. Then again they don't put loving trees on square planters in the middle of the road. Was this a city doing this or some HOA/private development?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Guys, I wasn't privy to the development of this this, I can tell you the suburb was laid out in the late 40s. From the state of the concrete I would say the tree boxes are 70s or 80s and the narrow down zig-zag things are less than 2 years old.

All I know is that I turned into the street quite fast and saw a big foot deep hole in the road and then it got worse as I realised there was a tree there. [Edit: No I didn't hit it.] I feel most sorry for anyone who has a series III landrover or something without power steering.

You can tell that that one involved some kind of engineer, or possibly a moonlighting engieering company receptionist. Here, on the other hand, they didn't bother with a traffic engineer. If they did, I think he would have said

'Guys, dont put a full size drain grating in the middle of the road.'

This exhausts my supply of traffic engineering stories

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I propose renaming Manbury "Swampfield".

Also, it looks like I was wrong and the Deep Bend/New Dublin line didn't take off. Might as well build a road connecting the cities if rail's not going to cut it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cool Danish urban planning but I imagine it'd really suck if one of the routes got blocked. Although I'm sure they can secretly lift-off.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Seems kinda Le Courbousier-ish. Where's that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Brøndby, Denmark.

http://goo.gl/maps/9uGSu

They even have street view. It's not very impressive from the ground, those houses are smaller than you think. Those grassy areas are more like the size of a big lawn.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 2, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cichlidae posted:

Welcome to 1890!

In 1890, you may:
- Build more railroads (if you REALLY want to)

Hold on. At this point, we're not really privy to the revolutionary use of personal autos. Why wouldn't we be making more rail connections, since the alternative is horse & carriage? I thought that rails were really the way to go for anywhere and everywhere well into the 20s at least.

With whom does Manbury trade? From where does their oil come? I'd like to make a rail connection to help Manbury grow, but I don't have enough information to know how.

I'd like to use the abandoned rail line between Winton and Chenchester and convert it into a road, but only if there'd be enough traffic for it to be profitable.

Create a road northwest out of Atmington and connect to the road going between New Hartshire and E. Hartshire.

Edit:

Install Gentoo posted:

What railroads did mostly was haul freight, simply amazing amounts of it compared to what you could move about by horse drawn carriages. That's why having a rail link could mean life or death for industry and industrial towns. Even today railroads carry 40% of the freight in the US by ton-miles.

OK, that's a good point. Cichlidae, does anyone actually use that rail line past Lakeside? It's meant to both ferry cargo to Balkany, and to bring the wealthy to Lakeside, but perhaps Lakeside would prosper far more with a direct road instead. If no one is really using that rail line for freight, convert it to a turnpike. Otherwise, add a turnpike from New Hartshire to Lakeside.

Please add a turnpike between Atmington and Farmingham parallel near the rail connection.

It looks like you need to make kind of a backwards N to get between Middleport and Green. Can you please have the road going from Green to Wellingford go just a little further, and link up with the turnpike up there?

Unless I missed it, can we please have a turnpike going from New Dublin to Deep Bend? It would provide a straighter route to Middleport etc.

Lastly, would a rail line from E. Hartshire up to Summerfield that passed through Nederfield do any good? If so, please build it.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 2, 2012

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ah nice, urban planning that looks lovely on a map and makes a planner feel like an artist but is loving terrible on the ground.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Volmarias posted:

Hold on. At this point, we're not really privy to the revolutionary use of personal autos. Why wouldn't we be making more rail connections, since the alternative is horse & carriage? I thought that rails were really the way to go for anywhere and everywhere well into the 20s at least.

That's a misconception! Until the 1920s or so the primary way people actually got around was by walking, horseback, carriages and stagecoaches. Amtrak's current fares are, inflation adjusted, much lower then the similar rides were on the passenger railroads for most of the history of passenger railroading. So consider those kinds of costs. Many people would take stagecoach travel in favor of rails to save money even though it could be a lot slower.

Now sure, if you lived in a city or in the emerging proper suburbs of cities that were right on rail lines, you'd use rails a lot more. But the average person would not do that so much.

What railroads did mostly was haul freight, simply amazing amounts of it compared to what you could move about by horse drawn carriages. That's why having a rail link could mean life or death for industry and industrial towns. Even today railroads carry 40% of the freight in the US by ton-miles.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Also, rather than editing my post once more, are there any Indian roads left? I can't tell since the color scheme is so similar.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Please reactivate this line with a new connection to better facilitate movements from the south

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

With whom does Manbury trade? From where does their oil come? I'd like to make a rail connection to help Manbury grow, but I don't have enough information to know how.

I'd like to use the abandoned rail line between Winton and Chenchester and convert it into a road, but only if there'd be enough traffic for it to be profitable.

Create a road northwest out of Atmington and connect to the road going between New Hartshire and E. Hartshire.

Edit:

OK, that's a good point. Cichlidae, does anyone actually use that rail line past Lakeside? It's meant to both ferry cargo to Balkany, and to bring the wealthy to Lakeside, but perhaps Lakeside would prosper far more with a direct road instead. If no one is really using that rail line for freight, convert it to a turnpike. Otherwise, add a turnpike from New Hartshire to Lakeside.

Please add a turnpike between Atmington and Farmingham parallel near the rail connection.

It looks like you need to make kind of a backwards N to get between Middleport and Green. Can you please have the road going from Green to Wellingford go just a little further, and link up with the turnpike up there?

Unless I missed it, can we please have a turnpike going from New Dublin to Deep Bend? It would provide a straighter route to Middleport etc.

Lastly, would a rail line from E. Hartshire up to Summerfield that passed through Nederfield do any good? If so, please build it.

Lots of questions here, but...

- Investors are soured to frivolous railroad construction thanks to the Panic of 1873, and government regulation has gotten somewhat tougher. Only the rail barons are building new lines in this part of the country, though adding a stub or two is still simple enough to do.

- Manbury gets crude oil from the shore (mostly through Fairport), refines it into gasoline, and ships it back out by rail into upstate New Cork and west to the Hartshire region.

- Roads don't need to be profitable, so let's convert that rail line.

- And build another road.

- The rail line past Lakeside is still used for limited passenger journeys, including an express between Summerfield and New Cork City.

- More roads.

- And a railroad. I would say no, but someone else wanted it, too.

Volmarias posted:

Also, rather than editing my post once more, are there any Indian roads left? I can't tell since the color scheme is so similar.

Nope, they've all been upgraded.

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

Please reactivate this line with a new connection to better facilitate movements from the south

'Twas already re-actived, but now it's even better!

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 3, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Oh yeah, please construct a road along the abandoned express rail from Fairport to the road to the Dersonia

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

- And a railroad. I would say no, but someone else wanted it, too.

Hey, I withdrew my support for that, don't pin it on me. :colbert:

Would it be possible to build a road from Killingham to Lake Oliver, either across or around the mountain? This would require FISHMANPET's approval, since it involves their town, but the people along the Opiantic River need a place to get away from it all.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Can we please get a road from Wellingford to Farmingham?

If it'd be reasonable (and profitable), add a little junction in the two rail lines to the west of Waterbridge so that rail coming from Farmingham to, say Dersonia, won't have to go into Waterbridge proper. Please also add a Wye to the junction just east of Farmingham, so that rail traffic from Atmington and north can go to Dersonia and west without having to go directly through Waterbridge.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 3, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cichlidae, is there enough industry (and hence traffic) to set up a spur to the Millfort port and waterfront?

Also, just quickly about the Mutnap line but would it be more sensible as far as running trains more quickly and efficiently go to use the more level southern spur and adding a movement? Would there be enough capacity on that line?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

Oh yeah, please construct a road along the abandoned express rail from Fairport to the road to the Dersonia

The ok.

(Pretend those blink)

Hedera Helix posted:

Hey, I withdrew my support for that, don't pin it on me. :colbert:

Would it be possible to build a road from Killingham to Lake Oliver, either across or around the mountain? This would require FISHMANPET's approval, since it involves their town, but the people along the Opiantic River need a place to get away from it all.

That can be done. It's not going to be cheap, but it can certainly be done.

Volmarias posted:

Can we please get a road from Wellingford to Farmingham?

If it'd be reasonable (and profitable), add a little junction in the two rail lines to the west of Waterbridge so that rail coming from Farmingham to, say Dersonia, won't have to go into Waterbridge proper. Please also add a Wye to the junction just east of Farmingham, so that rail traffic from Atmington and north can go to Dersonia and west without having to go directly through Waterbridge.

Road via Compounce:

For your rail ideas, while it would be profitable, the rail workers in Waterbridge storm your construction site and light all your ties on fire. Looks like it's not happening.

Munin posted:

Cichlidae, is there enough industry (and hence traffic) to set up a spur to the Millfort port and waterfront?

Also, just quickly about the Mutnap line but would it be more sensible as far as running trains more quickly and efficiently go to use the more level southern spur and adding a movement? Would there be enough capacity on that line?

Sure, sounds good. There is plenty of industry on the waterfront, and even if there's a lot of vacancy, there is always a new tenant looking for a place to call home.

For the Mutnap line, it would take about the same time, but require the train to reverse itself. This way is easier for everyone.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

For your rail ideas, while it would be profitable, the rail workers in Waterbridge storm your construction site and light all your ties on fire. Looks like it's not happening.

Hire Pinkertons' and continue construction! :argh:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 4, 2012

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

That can be done. It's not going to be cheap, but it can certainly be done.

It wouldn't require lots of tunneling, cut-and-fill, or expensive-to-maintain bridges, would it? :ohdear:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

Hire Pinkertons' and continue construction!: argh:

Your lead engineer suddenly changed his mind! It's not profitable, not at all. Also, he seems to have suffered a broken arm. He says he fell down the stairs.

Hedera Helix posted:

It wouldn't require lots of tunneling, cut-and-fill, or expensive-to-maintain bridges, would it? :ohdear:

Of course! But hey, it's the 1890s! Labor is cheap, designs are cheap, materials are cheap...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

Your lead engineer suddenly changed his mind! It's not profitable, not at all. Also, he seems to have suffered a broken arm. He says he fell down the stairs.

He's discovered the terrible secret of space! :aaaaa:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

He's discovered the terrible secret of space! :aaaaa:

Yes, clearly he had an encounter with an electric pusher automaton. Now he seeks to protect you as well!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

Yes, clearly he had an encounter with an electric pusher automaton. Now he seeks to protect you as well!

But... but I am protected! :gonk:

Are there any cities that don't have adequate travel arrangements at this point? I think we took care of everything.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

With all these fantasy city games and talks of street-running trains I thought I'd shamelessly share my latest work as it covers both "nerdy pretend cities" and "street running trains".

Steam trains and bike lanes, deal with it.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 5, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

With all these fantasy city games and talks of street-running trains I thought I'd shamelessly share my latest work as it covers both "nerdy pretend cities" and "street running trains".

Steam trains and bike lanes, death with it.

That level crossing looks horribly unsafe. Fix your pretend city, sir, before I sue you and force you to fix it!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I've got some renovations here...

First off, connecting Manbury to Fairport, bypassing Waterbridge and Nogahyde. Then Build a bridge over the Fuckov up at Nederfield, since there's no other bridges north of Hartshire.

Then I drew up plans to make roads around the outskirts of Bridgefield, Waterbridge, Fairport, Green, and New Dublin, because why not. It makes it easier to traverse the towns, and people passing through can avoid the traffic in the middle of town (unless I'm horribly mistaken).

I'm a little worried about that railroad in Wellingford. Last anything about that town was written, half of the town fell into the river. It wouldn't be good if that railroad fell in.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 4, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

SlothfulCobra posted:

So I've got some renovations here...

First off, connecting Manbury to Fairport, bypassing Waterbridge and Nogahyde. Then Build a bridge over the Fuckov up at Nederfield, since there's no other bridges north of Hartshire.

Then I drew up plans to make roads around the outskirts of Bridgefield, Waterbridge, Fairport, Green, and New Dublin, because why not. It makes it easier to traverse the towns, and people passing through can avoid the traffic in the middle of town (unless I'm horribly mistaken).

I'm a little worried about that railroad in Wellingford. Last anything about that town was written, half of the town fell into the river. It wouldn't be good if that railroad fell in.

Road bypasses aren't going to happen yet (gotta leave some challenge for later!), but I can definitely do the rest, if nobody objects. This evening!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Volmarias posted:

That level crossing looks horribly unsafe. Fix your pretend city, sir, before I sue you and force you to fix it!

We should all take a horribly spergy trip to http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

Road bypasses aren't going to happen yet (gotta leave some challenge for later!), but I can definitely do the rest, if nobody objects. This evening!

So wait, is it the road to Manbury that's a no, or the roads around towns?