Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Meowjesty posted:

I'm starting to think that Jones isn't people.

I'm starting to think that Jones is old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Now I want a sketch of Kat adopting a new dance-based security protocol for her lab.

Also, Boxbot yelling "RAP MUSIC, MY DROOGS!" and faceplanting into a wall.

Edit:
"Annie, you can't put this many sultanas in spotted dick! It's just daft!"
"That amount of sultanas is like my emotions right now... Hella crazy."

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 1, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I had no idea that's what you British people call raisins. That is SO WEIRD.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Fister Roboto posted:

I had no idea that's what you British people call raisins. That is SO WEIRD.
Ex-British colony, actually (Malaysia). But at least when I was a kid, the black/regular ones were called raisins, while the yellow/golden ones were called sultanas. No idea why.

Edit: Oh, Wikipedia says 'sultana' is the name of the grape that's usually used to make sultanas. Look at you, Internet, all teaching me things!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
You all have completely lost sight of what's really important.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Maybe Jones has some kind of connection to the Venus of Willendorf. The cultural significance of the carving is unknown. Was the woman a deity? A totemic reminder to hunters of their beloved? A fertility symbol? A good luck charm? Whatever the true purpose, Jones' current time period matches up to the estimated age of the statuette. Between the title of the chapter, hints we've seen about Jones' stone-like qualities, and Coyote's theory about gods, some kind of link to the carving would certainly fit.

Of course, watch my theory get shot down tomorrow when the next panels show Jones riding a T. rex across the plains.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Parts Kit posted:

gently caress, if I hadn't just bought this avatar I'd snap that up so fast.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Tupperwarez posted:

Now I want a sketch of Kat adopting a new dance-based security protocol for her lab.

Kat would never call Annie a butthole.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Maybe Jones has some kind of connection to the Venus of Willendorf. The cultural significance of the carving is unknown. Was the woman a deity? A totemic reminder to hunters of their beloved? A fertility symbol? A good luck charm? Whatever the true purpose, Jones' current time period matches up to the estimated age of the statuette. Between the title of the chapter, hints we've seen about Jones' stone-like qualities, and Coyote's theory about gods, some kind of link to the carving would certainly fit.

Of course, watch my theory get shot down tomorrow when the next panels show Jones riding a T. rex across the plains.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tupperwarez posted:

Also, Boxbot yelling "RAP MUSIC, MY DROOGS!" and faceplanting into a wall.

Edit:
"Annie, you can't put this many sultanas in spotted dick! It's just daft!"
"That amount of sultanas is like my emotions right now... Hella crazy."

Said faceplant would actually be a slow wheeling towards and then having a gear failure.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Parts Kit posted:

Coyote! :swoon:

If I had the change this week, I'd grab this. But I doubt it'll last long enough.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Haha I don't know, Jones seems pretty svelte for the Venus of Willendorf.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Haledjian posted:

She got eroded! :v:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Haledjian posted:

Walking around aimlessly for millions of years does wonders for your figure.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Maybe Jones was born from the Ether, but the Ether isn't connected to time and space in a way we understand so Jones was spat out millions of years before the memories/emotions/whatever that inspired her actually happened.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

endolithic posted:

Maybe Jones was born from the Ether, but the Ether isn't connected to time and space in a way we understand so Jones was spat out millions of years before the memories/emotions/whatever that inspired her actually happened.

Memories and emotions that were inspired by Jones herself?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Rasamune posted:

Memories and emotions that were inspired by Jones herself?

We're getting into some Paradoxical poo poo here.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

endolithic posted:

Are you saying that Jones is already here?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Hey, Tom.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Oh God, I just noticed the patches of white on Jones's irises in that latest comic.

Her eyes were frozen. :gonk:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Avshalom posted:

Oh God, I just noticed the patches of white on Jones's irises in that latest comic.

Her eyes were frozen. :gonk:

And yet she's still rocking the :geno:

Jones knows how to stay frosty.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Tom put up a new tumblr post for some new things bringing along to Thought Bubble.

MORT FUN TIME, mecha/angel/death/bird Kat and a coupld other prints along with some charms that look pretty cool.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Now's the time.

Go, man, go.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So I guess "pre-human" is a bit of an understatement. Is she meant to be waking up for the first time in this scene, I wonder?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Well so much for today's answering anything other than maybe Jones and Lindsey's folks go way back.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Move over ya dumb Monolith, Jones was here first.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Tollymain posted:

Jones is a First Guardian! :monocle:

I could totally see Jones be some sort of Gunnerkrigg equivalent of that, now.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Man, it goes back even farther than I thought it would.

Jones isn't just old, she's ooooooooollld.

And it raises the question of why something human-like has shown up waaaaaayyy before humans ever did.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Then Jones opens her mouth and emits a powerful EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
Did someone already throw out something about time travel, because now that's probably my guess. I know it'll be something crazier than that but I don't know what else to think right now.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I still think she's some kind of robot.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Who do you think was doing the soundtrack for that scene?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tinaun posted:

I could totally see Jones be some sort of Gunnerkrigg equivalent of that, now.

Yeah I might be serious about that now :stare:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
The way Jones is in the mud, she seems kind of placed there. Time travel's a stressful addition to any story, but it seems like the fairest explanation of Jones as a magical person before people existed. Maybe the Court isn't even her origin / final "destination". Maybe it's really the tiniest of blips in her mind.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Mixopterus, a member of the eurypterid genus for those who care.

Not quite as cool as Anomalocaridid, but what can you do.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look at her, making all those non-backbone havers feel totally inadequate.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The real truth of the great secret is that Jones created humans so she'd be less bored and lonely.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tom, if you're checking this thread I just want to say this chapter has been absolutely fascinating to follow and is actually kind of mind-blowing at this point. Also the art is fantastic, and I mean that in the literal sense. Seriously holy poo poo how do you do it? :syoon:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If not time travel, it suggests that humans were destined to appear on earth, which is fitting given all the gods we got running around in this comic. Jones clearly anticipated humanity. Although the majority of her life was spent prior to humans existing, she's human enough to care very deeply for humans (though it does seem significant that there don't appear to have ever been any little Joneslings).

I suddenly remember that Coyote told Annie to ask Jones about "the stars in the night sky." We haven't seen any night skies yet this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
drat it Nigel Marvin.