Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I hate any character with numbers in their quirk.

Terezi, Sollux, Aradia, Equius (aaaah where is the % key), and hell even Vriska with the 8s sometimes can all go to hell. Terezi in particular is annoying as gently caress having to go from capital letters to numbers, and whoever it is with the ones and zeroes instead of Ls and Os trips me up every time. My only real complaint is that sometimes the phrases kinda blend together if they're long and I can't see the beginning of what otherwise probably wouldn't be a problem.

I still use a burst every time I see a long Terezi phrase though, gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Wrist Watch posted:

I hate any character with numbers in their quirk.

Terezi, Sollux, Aradia, Equius (aaaah where is the % key), and hell even Vriska with the 8s sometimes can all go to hell. Terezi in particular is annoying as gently caress having to go from capital letters to numbers, and whoever it is with the ones and zeroes instead of Ls and Os trips me up every time. My only real complaint is that sometimes the phrases kinda blend together if they're long and I can't see the beginning of what otherwise probably wouldn't be a problem.

I still use a burst every time I see a long Terezi phrase though, gently caress that poo poo.

Just turn on caps lock whenever you type one of Terezi's phrases.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I knew I'd spot at least one last night.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fister Roboto posted:

I knew I'd spot at least one last night.

I just spotted the guy in the upper right and now I can't stop laughing!

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I like how there's someone making that face in every public Homestuck cosplay picture.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Kind of wish I got a picture of the dude-roxy I saw yesterday, kind of funny seeing a lanky guy in a beard dressed up as her.

World of Koos
Nov 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Shut up you monochromatic faggots, and peep this: MSPA's web site being down because of a hurricane is completely against the meta-narrative.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

This game is a pain in the rear end without a question mark key, I had to burn my bombs whenever a curley q came up. Oh well, at least I got in the top ten and i can stop playing it compulsively.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
You bumped me out of the top ten and now I have to start playing it compulsively again.

You jackass.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Mystic Mongol posted:

You bumped me out of the top ten and now I have to start playing it compulsively again.

You jackass.

I was bumped out of the very top spot and now I have to start playing it compulsively again. You jackasses (if any of you are above me).

(I am never getting back up there; to be completely and totally honest, that high score was a fluke, I barely got any Terezis and Feferis)

EDIT: oh god gently caress Tavros smilies so drat hard

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 2, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sadly, with only ages 12ish and lower coming to my door, I saw no Homestuck costumes. Nerdiest costume I saw was a 4-year-old in a Minecraft costume (all boxey and pixelated).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ariong posted:

I just spotted the guy in the upper right and now I can't stop laughing!

Haha, that's my buddy Dan and he's pretty much the best.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think basically how well I do in the Trolling of the Dead has a direct negative correlation with the presence of Gamzee lines. A lot of times you just gotta Burst him and pray you don't get another. Also, it screws up my typing something wild, I just typed like four accidental quirks making this post!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Android Blues posted:

I think basically how well I do in the Trolling of the Dead has a direct negative correlation with the presence of Gamzee lines. A lot of times you just gotta Burst him and pray you don't get another. Also, it screws up my typing something wild, I just typed like four accidental quirks making this post!

I can deal with most of them but if I see HoNkHoNkHoNkHoNkHoNkHoNk etc etc, i just bomb it

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I ended up getting a really good score when I got a long list of a bunch of words/lines with very little quirk influence. Like having a bunch of "yes" or "purr" or "that". I would like Karkat's lines a lot better if there didn't often include the period at the end, which I always forget.

(actually anything that's a long list of non-alphanumeric characters like "}:) uHHH,," goddamn is it hard to find the })

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I ended up getting mOtHeRfUcKeR and MoThErFuCkEr at the same time. I'm pretty sure I bombed both of them.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
I never realized how much leet speakers suffer for fashion.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Man, Gamzee with any word longer than five letters just loving kills me. He is the worst troll, gently caress him forever.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Lastair posted:

I made a silly troll quirk typing game for Halloween in a sort of "Typing of the Dead" style.
FYI for some reason it doesn't capture the \ key in Windows 7 Chrome. I think it's a Unity bug maybe. Might want to remove those words.

Also gently caress Terezi and Kanaya, my brain hurts typing their poo poo out. I can do gamzee and feferi and eridan all just fine but once you throw in 3 numbers and off-beat shifting I am just wrecked.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 2, 2012

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Suddenly Eridan seems like a pretty cool guy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

At - uh - the risk of sounding like a junkie, does anyone know when the servers will be coming back on-line? Any word on that at al?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Last thing I heard was this, from yesterday:

quote:

Power has been partially restored to the building, and hopefully the site will be available soon.

It is important to know that the electricity to the building is provided by generators, which is not a sure bet, and there are no estimates on when normal electrical service will be resumed.

Let's hope this works out. I know a lot of people lost their lives and/or livelihoods to this, but the real tragedy is my free entertainment, obviously.

e: you can check Internap's site for what's going on with their facilities (MSPA is apparently hosted at their 111 8th datacenter), but of course that doesn't have any information on any particular customer's servers.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 2, 2012

Lastair
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for all the feedback! I fixed the \ issue, at least in my own tests. Let me know if the patch managed to somehow break everything else though. (link)

I thought of adding the dancestors as very rare spawns or such, but most of them don't have portraits in the abstractly rendered bobblehead style yet (and never might ...) and they have a way smaller pool of logs to pull lines from too at this point. Though Kankri's volume probably passed half the post-scratch crowd already. And forcing people to install a Japanese IME for Damara would be pretty funny.

DoubleDonut posted:

Is that a remix of Aggrieve?
Yeah, down-tempo with an original verse and fluff around the edges. I was going for a silly-spooky vibe.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I feel like it seizes up momentarilly when I'm typing long phrases? Like if Kanaya shows up and spits out forty characters of dialogue which should be a super easy 2400 points, if I try to actually type it the program chokes, then everything jumps forwards a bit and I've lost. But then, I'm playing on kind of a lovely laptop.

Also Ferefi is the goddamn fish devil.
Sorry about the performance issues, but I didn't really test this on any hardware other than my own well above average desktop. Trying to optimize the game would probably take more effort than it's worth, considering how messy my code is. Sorry.

Which brings to mind that this should be completely agnostic about running on both Windows and OSX, but I had no way to test that. If anyone has a Mac and could confirm it running normally that'd be great, though it's not like I could (or would) do anything about it, heh.

Lastair fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 2, 2012

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I have a Mac and I couldn't type at all on the game. I'm not sure if it was because I was using a bluetooth keyboard or if it doesn't work on Safari (I do have Chrome installed so I'll try that I guess) but either way it didn't work.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Lastair posted:

Sorry about the performance issues, but I didn't really test this on any hardware other than my own well above average desktop. Trying to optimize the game would probably take more effort than it's worth, considering how messy my code is. Sorry.

Hey, no worries. It's great already, and suddenly I'm less hateful towards my tools now that I'm back in the top ten, funny how that works out.

I love Tavros in this, nearly everything he says is umm or uhh.

(Feferi is still the worst, it's bad enough that she uses numbers, dashes, )(s, and more or less random capitalization, she doesn't do any of them consistently, so when her color shows up pretty much all you know is that you have to hit buttons.)

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
You win this round, Donut.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

If I were to rank my favorite trolls based on this game alone, Karkat, Kanaya and Aradia would win hands down. And I like sober creepy Gamzee now more than ever. :ohdear:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
This game is annoyingly hard and yet stupidly fun and addictive at the same time. It also makes me hate Gamzee even more. Stupid good-for-nothing clown murdering my combos.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Bravo! You've got to get in touch with Hussie about getting this as a minigame for the eventual videogame. I love the idea of the ancestors as bosses - Kankri shows up and his quirk isn't that bad but he just. Doesn't. Stop. Talking.

The Final Boss Of Conversations indeed.

e/ God bless Koos for keeping these forums open, gently caress knows I don't have the money.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 2, 2012

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

So with the New York data center being down, I'm finally getting my first taste of days without an "update." Currently in Act 6's 2nd intermission. I just...I just want to catch up. :negative:

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Lastair, it might be a good idea to validate the score (with the time played would prob. be easiest) to find out if someone's decided to hex edit their score to a ludicrous degree. Like I did. Sorry about that, someone asked me if it was doable so I demonstrated instead of just saying yes.

Edit: vvvvv Yeah that's true, validation is not exactly fun in the slightest to set up.

Crumpet fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 3, 2012

Lastair
Dec 31, 2007

Crumpet posted:

Lastair, it might be a good idea to validate the score (with the time played would prob. be easiest) to find out if someone's decided to hex edit their score to a ludicrous degree. Like I did. Sorry about that, someone asked me if it was doable so I demonstrated instead of just saying yes.

The way I think about cheating is that it's always a losing battle in the end anyway, especially with my meager technical prowess. The game's a casual project I took on for fun and now I feel done with it - robust validity checking and all the peripheral extra learning it implies isn't my idea of fun right now.
I'm not too worried about the integrity of the scores since I didn't really conceive the game as seriously competitive to begin with. I can just manually delete any obviously bullshit entries that make things look sour, and if people cheat in moderation, that's their own shame. I don't think this will spread widely enough to get that kind of attention anyway.
Thanks for the heads up, though. :)

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Hussie's Twitter posted:

fyi i do not live anywhere near affected areas. server people working on it, getting systems online with generators. maybe up later tonight

Well then, here's hoping.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The best (worst?) part is Hussie knows what flash is going up, and he's probably laughing his rear end off about it by this point.

(But yeah in all seriousness hope everyone's okay over there!)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who the gently caress is Koos? It seems like I see them get permabanned every other day :wtc:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tollymain posted:

Who the gently caress is Koos? It seems like I see them get permabanned every other day :wtc:

Some guy who trolled the thread a while ago, got banned, then kept coming back for...some reason. Boredom I guess.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tollymain posted:

Cough, cough.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Not just this thread. (FYAD, mostly, I think.) It seems they have, like, a checklist of places to half-heartedly troll before each new ban. Seems like a weird thing to spend :10bux: on but there you are.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's not the first time Koos has gone for this thread, and it's confusing, because he rarely gets a reaction here. When he does, it's half-hearted at best. I think, next time he posts here, I'll give him some pointers on how to push our buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Dang, sad I missed it. Stuff like that's always a good way to distract me from being unable to get past 8000 points in Trolling of the Dead. :(