Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
It is the only funny thread going right now.

Also wiggles i have no idea what kind of stove it is, i was too busy swooning. Am now doing the " dont think about it or you will jinx it" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mindphlux posted:

mah axis 'o evil list

I have always felt that the folks who protested most loudly about the "Whirrled Peas" era were the ones most responsible for bringing it upon us.

It is entirely possible to be passionate about good food and good cooking, without coming off like jerky snobs.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

We live in the real Internet, not this namby pamby non-jerky online Eudaimonia you speak of.

:colbert:

Seriously though, that thread is terrible because it's not encouraging anyone to do anything more creative than throw fried chicken and cheese on a bun and inhale.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Oh my god being mad at that thread is old meme, let's move on to making fun of something else pls.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
What's so hard about ignoring threads that you hate? It's not like we don't have a huge forum where you can play.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I can see the hate for chickencheese. HOWEVER, as a professional, I certainly don't go home and cook myself a NY Strip with Bearnaise, turned potatoes fried in duck fat, with a watercress salad. No, I eat a GODDAMNED CHICKENCHEESE.

Basically, if you hate on chickencheese, you don't cook enough to want to cook easy when you go home.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Really, the problem I have with it is not that it's chicken. Or cheese.

It's that calling it "chickencheese" instead of a "chicken sandwich" (which is what it is) is trashy as hell.

Combine that with the attitude and yeah, that's irritating as balls. It's that "look at this loving food I made" attitude where people come in acting like they're some kind of food mavericks and bragging about how people line up to blow them after eating their bland chili and swearing a whole lot (gently caress yeah, bro, some cheese!) while describing the recipe, like they aspire to be some kind of R-rated Guy Fieri.

And then they call us snobs when we're not impressed with baby's first chili that has barely any heat to it and two packets of onion loving soup mix. Throwing a couple of ~wacky~ ingredients into a bog-standard recipe is not in the spirit of the creativity this forum has fostered at its best. We've seen recreations of ancient Roman cuisine, culinary traditions from all over India, creative and unusual uses of theme ingredients in ICSA competitions, and much more. We're not snobs. We just love good food. If you don't act like an rear end in a top hat, and you can accept constructive criticism, you'll do fine here.

Actually, that probably goes for most subforums.

Why the gently caress does anyone not get this?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Why the gently caress does anyone not get this?

Because most of have enough loving sense not to click past page 2 once we realized it's just some goofy rear end thread that we don't want to read.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

HOWEVER, as a professional,

:rolleyes:

is there a emote of a rolleyes vomitin rolleyes? Cuz I need that right now.

Edit: as a former professional, I did indeed go home after work a lot and make decent foods. I'd totally braise a chuck or sear off a steak and make a pan sauce. But then again, I'm no longer a cheffy chef chef so

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
I told myself I was done commenting on this but come on man.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Basically, if you hate on chickencheese, you don't cook enough to want to cook easy when you go home.

Wow, this is just a braindead comment. As if there was some correlation there in relationship to this topic...

I've got nothing against easy/dumb food, I make it all the time. However I don't feel the need to post in depth recipes for simple nonsense I put together when hungry and not feeling like an effort meal.

And seriously man? "As a professional" ???? Turn down the self-importance a notch, you're a food professional, not the space pope.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Relax peeps. Lots of anger up in here. Let's join hands and sing kumbayah

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Also, I am angry at the internet. Excuse me as I have spent the day bailing out a restaurant in an evacuation zone. You may resume hating on the joke thread at your leisure.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Did you lose much inventory Veggie? I've heard some horror stories of thousands upon thousands in food and wine/beer being ruined.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It's just some people goofing off and having fun. If the standard of the content offends you so much don't get on your high horses and tell them how lovely and uncreative the cooking is by our exalted standards: tell/show them how to do better instead. That, or just leave it alone. Sheesh.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I highly doubt that the people in the chicken cheese thread have a nefarious intend, nor do I suppose that they are aiming for world domination by freakishly improved sexual prowess through overintake of proteins.

I think what has happened is fitting because it has taken something that was mildly amusing, yet quickly fading, to a higher level of entertainment, and it now has the potential of achieving true greatness.

My suggestion for terms wouldn't be to actually punish the combatants, but I will need to hear a mod if this is possible.

If Ric wins - we will stop with the eggy harassment that he brought upon himself, nothing else will change - his name etc. will be reinstated as once was, and it will become a GWS probatable offense for 3 months to hint at or mention the eggs he has blatantly and defiantly neglected to eat.

If Doh004 wins we will ensure the fame of the chicken cheese by taking the thread on the road, giving it a sticky and moving it from sub forum to sub forum where it will get to spend two days in each forum, such that our peers can admire the brilliance that is chicken cheese, and know it to be the best that GWS can offer! Of course it needs to end up in GWS where it is to be stickied for a month or so..

Bart, Happy??

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Happy Hat posted:

If Doh004 wins we will ensure the fame of the chicken cheese by taking the thread on the road, giving it a sticky and moving it from sub forum to sub forum where it will get to spend two days in each forum, such that our peers can admire the brilliance that is chicken cheese, and know it to be the best that GWS can offer! Of course it needs to end up in GWS where it is to be stickied for a month or so..

Holy poo poo, this is the best idea ever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Casu Marzu posted:

:rolleyes:
is there a emote of a rolleyes vomitin rolleyes? Cuz I need that right now.
Not an emote but

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Toast posted:

And seriously man? "As a professional" ???? Turn down the self-importance a notch, you're a food professional, not the space pope.

I was drunk. All I meant to say was that there's nothing wrong with no-effort meals, I eat them all the time. Especially during 80 hour work weeks.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I don't like that thread because it is a long slog of junior-high level "clever" racism. Black husserl put it best, it reads like a minstrel show in parts, which I find disgusting.

Been going to the hardest-hit areas in new york every day and it is just devastating. Half of the interviews I do end with me hugging the person as they bawl their eyes out for a few minutes. Reliving that human misery over and over with those people is why I am considering cracking a beer at 10am.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Halalelujah posted:

I don't like that thread because it is a long slog of junior-high level "clever" racism. Black husserl put it best, it reads like a minstrel show in parts, which I find disgusting.

Am I missing something? It's a stupid thread and I don't like it, but it's not racist.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Scientastic posted:

Am I missing something? It's a stupid thread and I don't like it, but it's not racist.

Saying "dat" instead of "that" etc is apparently racist, that's all I get out of that particular critique. You could read the same thread with a stereotypical redneck voice and it'd make as much sense. Could be I'm too racist to see it's racist or something like that, but I associate that kind of typing as idiots on the internet, not people making fun of a race.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

It's racist and if you can't see it you are part of the problem.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I always read it like it was the Epic Meal time guys, which seemed to fit for the chickencheese style to me.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Halalelujah posted:

Alright I'll take your word for it man

I'm racist I guess

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I'd argue that the use of a hip-hop style vernacular and heavy bro-ness is more a parody of the shrinking American middle class adolescent who has grown up on gangsta/club rap and video games, someone whose chronic abuse of substances and complete immersion in popular culture renders them unable to express themselves in a cogent way.

Kenning, it's impossible to articulate how much the business lost, but compared to SI or Red Hook? Losing a few days worth of produce and a few cases of wine to breakage is nothing compared to losing a life or a livelihood (though it came uncomfortably close to the latter). Now I can't get to Boston for a private party so I'm going to roll up the sleeves and go say hi to Red Hook.

e: Halal, I'll stop your way on my way back and we'll get a beer. Or six. Teen.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

I'd argue that the use of a hip-hop style vernacular and heavy bro-ness is more a parody of the shrinking American middle class adolescent who has grown up on gangsta/club rap and video games, someone whose chronic abuse of substances and complete immersion in popular culture renders them unable to express themselves in a cogent way.

Kenning, it's impossible to articulate how much the business lost, but compared to SI or Red Hook? Losing a few days worth of produce and a few cases of wine to breakage is nothing compared to losing a life or a livelihood (though it came uncomfortably close to the latter). Now I can't get to Boston for a private party so I'm going to roll up the sleeves and go say hi to Red Hook.

e: Halal, I'll stop your way on my way back and we'll get a beer. Or six. Teen.

The girl is sick so come by earlier in the day, she has to work and I am pretty much going to make her soup and lay her down etc. Going to be dusting and sitting on my couch being tired all day.

edit: veggie's a racist too

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Halalelujah posted:

But some of my best friends are stupid bros.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
You don't have to be an extreme racist (or what most of us envision when we think of racists) to perpetuate racist acts/beliefs/practices ingrained in society because at the core our culture is still pretty racist.

Basically, I don't think anyone is saying that everyone who posted in that manner in that thread are terrible shithead racists.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

But some of my best friends are stupid bros.
That makes you racist by association!

I haven't read the thread properly so I can't comment if it is racist or I am.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

That makes you racist by association!

I haven't read the thread properly so I can't comment if it is racist or I am.

Can't it be both?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Rurutia posted:

You don't have to be an extreme racist (or what most of us envision when we think of racists) to perpetuate racist acts/beliefs/practices ingrained in society because at the core our culture is still pretty racist.

Basically, I don't think anyone is saying that everyone who posted in that manner in that thread are terrible shithead racists.

I'll at least go as far as to say my chickencheese post deliberately didn't use any words because I thought it was pretty dumb

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

For my entry in this challenge I am going to dress up in blackface and make a video.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

Can't it be both?
I suppose so! I did grow up in South Africa during apartheid...

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Happy Hat posted:

If Ric wins - we will stop with the eggy harassment that he brought upon himself, nothing else will change - his name etc. will be reinstated as once was, and it will become a GWS probatable offense for 3 months to hint at or mention the eggs he has blatantly and defiantly neglected to eat.

Bart, Happy??
Not 100%, no. I like the Doh004 winning clause (pending Admin approval and the agreement of mods of the forums targeted for chickencheese proselytization), it properly ensures his Internet fame at our expense. What I don't like is your idea for Ricola winning, which if we face facts we have to acknowledge as virtually guaranteed. That strikes me as having two wrongs - continuing to fail at egg consumption and being a bit more combative than is the social norm in a thread - make a right. If there's one thing my mama taught me, it's that two wrongs don't make a right. Can you, in your infinite Viking/Aryan wisdom, come up with another consequence? I agree with the general aesthetic of not truly punishing either combatant.

As for the racism discussion, let's not turn this thread into some kind of social justice playground. Admins close threads like that. If you're so outraged you absolutely can't stand it, I suggest posting a recipe for Chicken à la King using flawless Victorian English to balance the karmic scales.

And you can bet your sweet bippy that when I get around to posting my historically-accurate, backed by primary and secondary sources thread on White Trash Cooking I'll be posting in dialect at least part of the time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

And you can bet your sweet bippy that when I get around to posting my historically-accurate, backed by primary and secondary sources thread on White Trash Cooking I'll be posting in dialect at least part of the time.

Here, let me save you the effort.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I for one love HH's proposal. Most people don't remember (let alone give a crap about) the egg episode. Bury it.

.. and I don't think ricola is certain to "win" here. Expectations need to be set appropriately IMO.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I agree with poteto.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think there should be a judging sliding scale.

If the complaint is that our newbies aren't cooking well enough they should be judged as newbies: not head to head.

Just saying.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

I think there should be a judging sliding scale.

If the complaint is that our newbies aren't cooking well enough they should be judged as newbies: not head to head.

Just saying.
Yeah, I think that's fair. Like handicaps in golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
How would one go about doing that?