Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This is pretty cool.

A remix album of the works of Philip Glass.

quote:

The set feature remixes of original Glass compositions by the likes of Beck, Dan Deacon, Cornelius, Tyondai Braxton, Amon Tobin, Memory Tapes, Jóhann Jóhannsson, Nosaj Thing, Pantha du Prince, Peter Broderick, Silver Alert, and My Great Ghost.

The LP also includes a digital download code, and will be pressed in two unique editions. The regular edition will feature white vinyl with a silver splatter and is available from great retailers around the world, and the mailorder only “Glass Edition” (limited to 500 copies and EXCLUSIVE TO THIS SITE) will be pressed on ultra clear vinyl… trust us, it looks like… Glass!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I'm going to get to meet Glass next year and I bought a vinyl copy of Koyaanisquatsi to get autographed.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I'm going to get to meet Glass next year and I bought a vinyl copy of Koyaanisquatsi to get autographed.

I'd let him autograph the soundtrack to Candyman.

Because I'm a dick, you see.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I'm not familiar with that movie, but Googlefu tells me it was scored by Glass. I'm guessing the soundtrack is pretty awful?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
No, actually. It's pretty great.

IMDB posted:

Philip Glass was asked by director Bernard Rose to compose a score for his film "Candyman". Glass accepted and wrote a "gothic" score for chorus and pipe organ. The final version of the film was a disappointment to Glass. He felt that he had been manipulated. What was presented to him as a low budget independent project with creative integrity became (in his opinion) a low budget Hollywood slasher flick. As a result, Glass with held his consent for the release of the recordings of the score for years, until 2001.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Definitely going to grab that remix album, that sounds awesome.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I'm not familiar with that movie, but Googlefu tells me it was scored by Glass. I'm guessing the soundtrack is pretty awful?

This is one of my favorite pieces from any soundtrack, and I haven't ever seen the movie. It's so spooky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jjLMm7C2EY

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 22, 2012

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD
I made a v. tiny friend today

First record ive ever bought that is smaller than 7". apparently it usually comes with the cd for GReen Wheels but they were just selling it separately?? Oh well, good price! (8 bux)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Aerobic Robot posted:

First record ive ever bought that is smaller than 7". apparently it usually comes with the cd for GReen Wheels but they were just selling it separately?? Oh well, good price! (8 bux)

Does your turntable have trouble playing this? I have something of a similar size:

and whenever I drop the needle it is obviously to close to the spindle so it just lifts straight back up and I have to force the tonearm to stay in place before it actually plays it. Probably just my poo poo turntable though :negative:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 23, 2012

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My turntable with tone arm return had trouble playing 5" records.

Without the return its no problem. I guess you could make a little 1" record that fit right around the spindle for dj turntables only.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

david puddy posted:

and whenever I drop the needle it is obviously to close to the spindle so it just lifts straight back up and I have to force the tonearm to stay in place before it actually plays it. Probably just my poo poo turntable though :negative:

I guess this is an advantage of having an entirely manual turntable.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

eggsovereasy posted:

I guess this is an advantage of having an entirely manual turntable.

Hand-cranked?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Well, it has a motor, I just have to move the tonearm onto the record and back off when it's done.

I do wish I had a switch to change speeds between 33 1/3 and 45, I have to remove the platter and move the belt to a different area on the pulley to change speeds.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Aerobic Robot posted:

Green Wheels is probably one of the best Merzbow albums that money can buy, too. His singles have for some reason always been really good, which is strange considering his profilic catalogue and the fact that there's 10 bland releases to one good. I love noise singles.:dance:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I just got a couple of records, and one them has a pretty dirty cover. It's a matte finish sort of sleeve so I'm probably reaching here, is it possible to clean something like this at all? I don't have high hopes but I'd like if it could be restored a little.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I use lighter fluid to get a whole bunch of stuff off including dirty ring-wear stains like that. I'd recommend you test on a rubbish cover of similar material first, or somewhere inconspicuous on the KC.

This mono(:smug:) copy of Blue Velvet came up a little bit better with a little Ventti fluid on a clean tissue.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 24, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

david puddy posted:

I just got a couple of records, and one them has a pretty dirty cover. It's a matte finish sort of sleeve so I'm probably reaching here, is it possible to clean something like this at all? I don't have high hopes but I'd like if it could be restored a little.

I used to have tat record, now I only have the sleeve. Stupid old room mates.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Going to my first record fair on Sunday to suss things out. Finally got a full set up now as well; a second hand RS33 JVC amp and Beovox 3702 speakers from eBay for $55. The Beovox only have two original speakers on each box, but still sound pretty great.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Just got my Black Moth Super Rainbow Kickstarter bundle...

I asked them to sign them and they said they would, but they didn't. Sad panda :(

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

My Denver-area haul from last week.

The Butthole Surfers is sealed and includes an additional 12" remix disc.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Holy crap the Man With The Iron Fist soundtrack is going to be badass; listening to the digital download and it's awesome. Can't wait to give it a spin.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Cheesus posted:

The Butthole Surfers is sealed and includes an additional 12" remix disc.

Lard are awesome, and the B-side of that EP features what are probably the best lyrics ever written.

It was also one of the first slabs of vinyl I ever purchased.

dutch wife abc fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 28, 2012

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

dutch wife abc posted:

Lard are awesome, and the B-side of that EP features what are probably the best lyrics ever written.
I'd never heard of them until coming across a thread on a Nirvana forum alleging that Kurt Cobain ripped off the riff from The Power Of Lard for Territorial Pissings (he totally did). I liked the song despite never being a fan of Jello's vocal style.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012
Speaking of Merzbow, apart from the Merzbient vinyl release, yet ANOTHER huge boxset is out now: Lowest Music & Arts 1980-1983 Looks great: http://blog.merzbow.net/?eid=1086077

However, I'm still broke as poo poo. One can only dream, though...

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Here's one of my gems, a still sealed copy of the first album (or something like that)

A Japanese friend who worked in a record store was shopping at a vinyl distributor and found two perfect copies that had apparently been misfiled since the early 80s. They were basically free for him but it made for one of the best vinyl gifts I've ever received.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I'm on the West Coast for a minute here and dang are the stores around here so much more diverse and their price points slay stuff from back home. I found many records that would normally be in store windows back East with $35 tags for $9.99 over here.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Been a huge week for me so far, vinyl-wise. No pics as my digital camera isn't working. I'm a metal guy, so the stuff I picked up was in that genre. First, my small Hell's Headbangers order arrived:

- Black Jesus "Black Jesus Saves", limited to 300 copies, 150 black, 150 red. My copy is red, looks and sounds excellent
- Beherit "Celebrate the Dead". Been holding off on buying this for whatever reason, but finally gave in and it was definitely worth the purchase. No inner sleeve though, just a regular cardboard gimmick.

Then, I hit the Electric Fetus in Minneapolis, and in the bargain section I found a TON of awesome / rare 80s speed / thrash / power metal. Grabbed Fifth Angel - S/T, Wild Dogs - Reign in Terror, Cerebus - No Time to Pray, Rage - Execution Guaranteed, Armored Saint - Raising Fear, Meliah Rage - Kill to Survive, Anthem - Bound to Break, and I found a copy of Guitar Pete's Axe Attack - Nitemare, all in mint or near mint condition, all for $2.99 each, plus they had a 20% off sale going on. I was in rare metal LP heaven.

Finally, my copy of Lymphatic Phlegm's 10" re-release for "Bloodsplattered Pathological Dysfunctions" that I won at eBay showed up. #482 of 500. Killer record, but I hate odd sized LPs (10", 8").

ultraviolence123 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 31, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

ultraviolence123 posted:

Been a huge week for me so far, vinyl-wise. No pics as my digital camera isn't working. I'm a metal guy, so the stuff I picked up was in that genre. First, my small Hell's Headbangers order arrived:

- Black Jesus "Black Jesus Saves", limited to 300 copies, 150 black, 150 red. My copy is red, looks and sounds excellent
- Beherit "Celebrate the Dead". Been holding off on buying this for whatever reason, but finally gave in and it was definitely worth the purchase. No inner sleeve though, just a regular cardboard gimmick.

Then, I hit the Electric Fetus in Minneapolis, and in the bargain section I found a TON of awesome / rare 80s speed / thrash / power metal. Grabbed Fifth Angel - S/T, Wild Dogs - Reign in Terror, Cerebus - No Time to Pray, Rage - Execution Guaranteed, Armored Saint - Raising Fear, Meliah Rage - Kill to Survive, Anthem - Bound to Break, and I found a copy of Guitar Pete's Axe Attack - Nitemare, all in mint or near mint condition, all for $2.99 each, plus they had a 20% off sale going on. I was in rare metal LP heaven.

Finally, my copy of Lymphatic Phlegm's 10" re-release for "Bloodsplattered Pathological Dysfunctions" that I won at eBay showed up. #482 of 500. Killer record, but I hate odd sized LPs (10", 8").

I have the Hells Headbangers triple 8" Profanatica box set. Its like a normal EP's amount of songs but for some awful reason its split up on three 8"ers

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Attention Throbbing Gristle fans.... http://greedbag.com/mailout/~throbbinggristlestore016/

There are only going to be 500 copies.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash

cheapandugly posted:

Attention Throbbing Gristle fans.... http://greedbag.com/mailout/~throbbinggristlestore016/

Thanks for the heads-up!

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

cheapandugly posted:

drat! That went fast.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

cheapandugly posted:

JESUS I LITERALLY THOUGHT ABOUT THIS TODAY and what happens? gently caress.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Cheesus posted:

Where in Denver did you go?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I still have a sealed copy of ATDI's Vaya euro/jp repress: Half Highlighter Yellow/Half Hot Pink. Anyone interested?

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

dutch wife abc posted:

JESUS I LITERALLY THOUGHT ABOUT THIS TODAY and what happens? gently caress.

There's a regular, non-limited version for pre-order here:

http://www.speakerfire.com/phonograph-records/x-tg-desertshore/the-final-report-pre-order/

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Floodixor posted:

Where in Denver did you go?
Twist & Shout (Denver), Black & Read (Arvada), Absolute Vinyl (Boulder), and Albums On The Hill (Boulder).

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Thank god. Will most likely pick it up just for the sake of Marc Almond singing "The Falconer".

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
This finally came in today. Very happy, one of the best bands out their right now (sorry for the terrible quality)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This is a great documentary. Pro-tip: don't be like these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNRvB8lyRSM

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
That movie can be downright depressing at times, but I always enjoy the scene where one collector goes to a garage sale and starts talking to the old guy running it and it turns out the collector has a copy of this one obscure single the old guy put out many years ago that he himself has no copy of.

e: 47:19

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Two more. I think we've all seen Goodspeed You!'s newest, so I won't post too many pictures of it. All pics can be clicked for bigger if you so wish.

I dig the art direction in the album. Looks great, especially that cover picture.

This also marks the first 7" in my collection.

And this arrived today, all the way from Jolly Olde England! I was afraid something might happen on the trip across the pond, mainly because it has to go through a lot of handling from there to here, but it's perfectly fine, aside from a small creased corner, but that doesn't bother me.

Yeah, it's a bad movie, but the soundtrack is pretty awesome. The backside of the jacket has a note from Alan Howarth, who composed along with Carpenter.

They stuck the Silver Shamrock logo on the bottom right side of the front, which is a pretty nice touch.

The album came with a print of the cover art.

Along with a bigger poster! The Death Waltz folks do some good work.

The front of the sleeve has the track listing, along with personnel, as usual, but it also lists the instruments and equipment that was used during recording, which is very cool.

The back of the sleeve has a note from the artist that did the cover art.

The vinyl, with the classic Halloween coloring.

The image they had for the vinyl on the site made it look kinda ugly, with just a big blob of black in the center, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the pattern on my vinyl looks better than that.

Also, what are some good recommendations for players in the $200 or so range?