Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Dynamo League Week 20 Injury Report

No new champions

Florida Oranges
Eddie Mathews (3B) (Strained People's Elbow) - 8 days

Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Orel Hershiser (SP) (The Bell) - 7 days
Barry Bonds (LF) (The Book) - 43 days
Alfredo Aceves (RP) (The Candle) - 460 days

Lombard St. Gumshoes
Sal Maglie (SP) (Expelled from Barber School!) - Out for Season

Old Hoss Radbourns
Rafael Betancourt (RP) (Spanish Flu) - 8 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

The Goog posted:

You would have to put him into your regular lineup if you wanted him to play in July. For the five days that he misses at the beginning of the month, either cbx or the AI would pencil in a replacement, and then for the rest of the month Maddox would go in as normal. This is probably preferable to setting a lineup that doesn't have Maddox in it at all for the entire month.

Or (presumably, since cbx hasn't yelled at me yet) you can make cbx's life difficult and give a new lineup with your injury replacements along with how it should be adjusted once the injury ends.

Of course, then you have to worry if you're responsible every time there's no new update.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League VII: Le Grande Cervesa de Coahuila

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

LANDERS MURDER TED SOX 9-1 BECAUSE THEY CAN, BECAUSE THEY MUST

Moonbase 0-2- mrnoun had no regrets.

"Maybe you all think I'm a bad guy for what I did here today," mrnoun said, rather defensively after the game, "Maybe I didn't have to hurt the Ted Sox so badly. Maybe I didn't have to humiliate them like this. But I did. I'm not a bad man, but the Bobbleheads...they push me to extremes, you see. They know this is my division, that I deserve to win the division race, but they won't let me past. On the German Autobahn, they operate by a simple rule, the faster car passes the slower car on the left, and if ever a car should disobey this law, block off his better, then the driver of the faster car is allowed to do whatever he has to take his rightful position, and if he should drive the other driver off the road, wreck his car and kill of his passengers, he is not guilty of any crime, for he has followed the rules of the road.

"In the jungle, when lion kills the jackal obey nature's law. He is the better animal, and he must assert his dominance. I kill these Ted Sox to send a message to the Bobbleheads: I will kill all of you."

Moose, whose hopes of seeing his team survive to next season were given a body blow, launched an attack ad in response, "mrnoun says that he's a lion, but look at the facts. Over four seasons of Super-League ownership, he has failed to win a single playoff game. mrnoun says that he's the king of the road, but that doesn't explain why he voted against Gauntlet reform three straight times. mrnoun: a dangerous extremist who wants to break into your home and sacrifice your children on an altar to bring back progressive rock. My name is mooseontheloose and I approve this message."

Box Score

Don May posted:

PHOENIXES BURY JUGGS WITH 5-1 WIN, COMPLETING SWEEP

Ithaca- It ain't over 'til it's over...but this feels pretty over.

The Phoenixes, with a three-game sweep of the Juggernauts in Ithaca, seemingly wrapped up their division for all intents and purposes, as they now hold a ten game lead with only seven weeks left in the season.

Because of this, Marauder's post-game conference, which included a coffin and a mock tombstone for the Juggernauts, did not seem completely out of place, "I come here to bury the Juggernauts....certainly not to praise them. It is the nature of life to be fleeting, to end in a sudden flash, here one moment, and then never to return. I first played the Juggernauts in the heady days of Super-League II, where my Finger-Bangers beat them. In Super-League IV, they moved to the Smasher League, just in time to be crushed by my Doppel-Bangers. This year, I will complete the trilogy of triumph by defeating them with the Phoenixes. I could claim that I am three times the owner that factorialite is, but I dare say that I am likely five, maybe ten times better, for I have built three superior teams from scratch, while he has but merely gilded and shuffled his team pretending as though such moves would save him. Ah, I will miss him, for I doubt my next rivals will be as accommodating with their incompetence. And now, Carl Mays, who pitched a complete game today, would you say a few words?"

Mays, who had been standing beside the coffin obliged, "Stilts. Crumple. Gizmo."

"Very amusing, Mr. Mays, but perhaps a slightly more respectful eulogy is warranted."

Mays then composed himself, "You know, a lot of you just know me as the guy who killed a player with a bean ball. And that's not fair. I was aimed at his head, the ball just slipped, of course, it slipped because I had just covered it in my spit so I could get a little extra movement on it. You know what, that fucker Chapman had it coming. He was crowding the plate, he got what he deserved. Bet he wouldn't dig in at the plate again, I tell you what. Anyway, the Juggernauts? loving morons to the last. Four Foxxes, all of which right-handed power hitters, against me, who is a right-hander myself and doesn't allow power hitting of any kind? They went 2-for-13! I kicked their asses. Four times nothing is still nothing, I guess. gently caress the Juggernauts."

Box Score

Don May posted:

MUDHOLES GO ON SPRING BREAK! WIN 4-3

Coahuila- With the season slipping away, theacox did the only thing he could: go on spring break.

"Spring break in Cow-Hill! Wooooooooooooo!" exclaimed theacox after the game, "You know, I bet that a lot of you think that it's kind of weird to go to spring break in August...or November...or whenever it is, but that's when you can get a good deal down here in Mexico. Also, it turns out that Coahuila doesn't really have a coastline, so we can't exactly go to the beach. They do have a lot of beers, though, and they're cheap! And very few of them are tainted! Also, the team is going to pick up a bit of extra cash by delivering a few packages for a cartel. Really, coming down here to Mexico was just a great idea for the team. Viva la Mexico!"

Warm Sarsaparilla refused to give comment after the game, shooting a reporter who tried to approach him for an interview. According to Mexican police, this is legal in Mexico as long as the shooter in question has paid the appropriate 1000 peso bribe and, according the police records, Warm Sarsaparilla had purchased a special 'season pass' to allow him unlimited killings over the course of the season for only 20,000 pesos. Police spokesman explained, "We highly recommend that long-term visitor to our country consider investing a weekly, monthly, or even season pass. Did you know that with the season pass, you will see savings by the 20th person you kill? Sign up today!"

Box Score

Stats!

Analysis

Not a good week, especially with the Landers lurking just two games back. At least Gehringer's back.

Analysis

As has happened with the Emperors each of the last two seasons, Cobb and Collins are wearing down as the season progresses. Such is the way in which Mogul models older players.

Analysis

I'm thinking that you should give Belle another shot.

Analysis

See you in the playoffs.

Analysis

Dick McAuliffe, the hope killer.

Analysis

You've become the Rockies, and that is a very, very bad thing.

Analysis

Quad-Foxx!

Analysis

Well, mrnoun, you're two games out and you have four games against the Bobbleheads next week. Let's see who wants it more.

Analysis

Amazingly, the Mudholes have been a .500 team since their horrific first month.

Analysis

I think Brown just had too little power to be a top-flight pitcher in the Super-League.

Analysis

I'm not sure how much of your success is due to luck. I don't think your team has been particularly lucky, but who knows? Fortunately, it looks like you have a good shot at living to another season to provide more data.

Analysis

Since the Mooglies and Bulldogs are going to the Gauntlet, I'm not sure there's going to be a lot of will to fix up the Superstars for a final run.

Analysis

What more is there to say?

Analysis

It's possible the Eazy W's might miss the playoffs, but only if I get a really big bribe from the Ted Sox.

Analysis

I think your team has a chance of surviving the Gauntlet, and that's as good as most teams get.

Analysis

Your team does not have a chance of surviving the Gauntlet.

Standings and Leaders

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

What more is there to say? Performance remains.. suboptimal, while Billy Williams has started to hit is stride, Tris Speaker's suddenly collapse is disturbing. On the other hand, why must my bullpen be a dumpster fire?

Move Ray Collins to 5th Starter, Move Frank Smith Spitballer... supreme? to LR, and DL Curt Schilling

Also, buy the man some new socks. White ones.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
After the first month, the Mudholes would have been happy to win 40 games all season. Now, we're approaching respectability. :psyduck:

It's like I went from having no idea what I was doing and being very unlucky to having no idea what I am doing and having normal luck! :science:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

:siren: Trade Offer

1986 Jim Rice to Goose Eggs for 1935 Bob Johnson.

vvv: Pending the below being approved, welcome home Bob!

Platoon Johnson with Williams in LF.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 2, 2012

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

:siren: Trade Offer

1986 Jim Rice to Goose Eggs for 1935 Bob Johnson.

Confirmed.

One of the many reasons(and believe me, there are many) why I couldn't capitalize on my EC success is out the door. Didn't have the patience to deal with his struggling and should have been gone weeks ago.

Jim Rice in LF, Matt Holliday to DH.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

The Goose Eggs-Cultists swap of 5th outfielders, a trade solely designed to waste my time and which will have absolutely no difference on either team's fate, is approved.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Emperors

Now that Alomar is back, reinstate the Platoon with him and Collins. As for Cobb.. well I have some problems if he breaks down even if he only has to play DH. do I have anyone else that is/was known for being a good hitter and that isn't occupied elsewhere?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

CVE posted:

Emperors

Now that Alomar is back, reinstate the Platoon with him and Collins. As for Cobb.. well I have some problems if he breaks down even if he only has to play DH. do I have anyone else that is/was known for being a good hitter and that isn't occupied elsewhere?

I don't know that you do, actually. You've always had a pretty thin bench.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

mrnoun: a dangerous extremist who wants to break into your home and sacrifice your children on an altar to bring back progressive rock.

It's not only true, it's the biggest plank in my platform!

Luna Landers

The Bobbles' catchers are Rudy York and Jorge Posada. For the next week, set our Stealing to +5.

Lineup change: Nomar back in for Joost.

Speaking of Nomar: Ratings Challenge. At his peak, Nomar was, for a few short years, one of the greatest shortstops ever. My version is smack in the middle of that peak, and yet he's not only not performing to that level, he's actually performing worse than the Juggs' past-prime 2004 Nomar.

Evidence: The following chart compares Nomar's real life seven-year peak (1997-2003, with my version being '99) to the best seven-year stretches of other top shortstops:

code:
Shortstop    Years     BA   OBP   SLG   OPS  OPS+  dWAR
Wagner       03-09   .350  .418  .507  .925   180  11.3
Rodriguez    96-02   .313  .385  .589  .974   148   7.3
Vaughan      33-39   .330  .425  .484  .909   146   8.2
Banks        55-61   .292  .357  .570  .927   145  11.5
Garciaparra  97-03   .325  .372  .557  .929   135   9.1
Boudreau     42-48   .309  .393  .427  .820   135  15.7
Larkin       91-97   .304  .392  .483  .874   134   5.1
Yount        78-84   .296  .345  .471  .815   127  11.1  
Jeter        98-04   .319  .390  .477  .868   126  -3.0
Ripken       83-89   .280  .353  .462  .814   125  14.4
Trammell     83-89   .296  .360  .451  .811   124  11.2
Cronin       35-41   .303  .395  .489  .884   121   2.3
Offensively, Garciaparra's numbers for his peak years are comparable to the peak years of all but the very best shortstops, and he's within spitting distance of everyone short of Honus Wagner and A-Rod. While dWAR is a less than ideal defensive stat, it shows him roughly middle of the pack for this group, which sounds about right.

Now, this chart shows how he's actually performed, compared to other Super League shortstops. RBI is included solely to give a rough estimate of playing time.

code:
Shortstop    Team        BA   HR   RBI   OBP    DRAA
H Ramirez    Emperors  .304   12    61  .358     6.4
Ripken       Potatoes  .277   11    43  .322    19.4
Ripken       Mooglies  .296   13    54  .341     3.1
Yount        Mudholes  .298   12    49  .360    -4.0
Jeter        Bobbles   .330    9    63  .379   -11.9
Delahanty    W's       .282    4    43  .346     0.5
Ripken       Cells     .248    9    50  .295    16.0
Banks        Cultists  .219   16    58  .278     8.1
Vaughan      Maths     .296    4    33  .330    -7.4
Larkin       Phoenixes .261    7    52  .322   -10.8
Nomar '04    Juggs     .291    6    26  .317     1.4
Nomar '99    Landers   .255    7    44  .288   -16.4
Not included: the Stars' Jeter, who has barely played due to injury, and the Comancheros' Hornsby, who I consider out of position.

'99 Nomar has been the worst defensive shortstop in the entire Smasher League this season, worse than Derek Jeter and Ed Delahanty. He's not hitting for contact, and he's not hitting for power despite a home ballpark with a short porch in left.

I know that this Nomar was acquired during the season, and that ratings can get a little weird for players added in this fashion. His overall rating of 94 doesn't seem too far out of whack, but given his dramatically subpar performance and his status as a midseason acquisition, I believe it is reasonable to request an adjustment to his ratings.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

mrnoun posted:

Speaking of Nomar: Ratings Challenge. At his peak, Nomar was, for a few short years, one of the greatest shortstops ever. My version is smack in the middle of that peak, and yet he's not only not performing to that level, he's actually performing worse than the Juggs' past-prime 2004 Nomar.

That Nomar hasn't played at all because Ernie Banks was blocking him. His stats are based on a sample size of two weeks. This renders that comparo fairly irrelevant.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

mrnoun posted:

Speaking of Nomar: Ratings Challenge.

Well, I'm not buying your defensive argument, for one. Garciaparra is about the worst defensive shortstop on that list (Delahanty and '04 Nomar played something like a combined two weeks in the field, so they don't count.) He has similar defensive numbers to Jeter, and I think that's about fair.

But I will bump up his offensive numbers a bit.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Gehringer up, oldest Jeter down. Gehringer goes back to 2B vs. RHP. And let's platoon Greenberg and Giles in LF.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
I tried reading this update but fell asleep halfway through

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Vice City Goose Eggs

Should have shuffled my pitching staff a little bit. We ain't worthy of having a banner in our post, or characters, funny puns, or good players. We are worthy of Bob Welch.

Frank Tanana is healthy, so put Tananarama in the rotation at #3 over Doug Fister, sliding Phil Niekro to the #4 spot, where he can continue to blow. Twisted Fister gets sent to the bullpen, taking Danny Darwin's spot, who gets sent to AAA to die a hilarious death.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Delahanty moves to 2B for the week to give Whitaker a rest, Cabrera comes back in at SS.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Some days, I wonder if the Super-League is really worth my time and energy.

But most days I'm pretty sure it's not.

Smasher League Week 20 Injury Report

No new champions

Madison Mudholes
Don Sutton (SP) (Sandpaper Accident) - 10 days

Rated R Superstars
Roy Halladay (SP) (Because I guess the last three injuries didn't make my point) - 21 days

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Madison Mudholes
Don Sutton (SP) (Sandpaper Accident) - 10 days

Well let's DL Sutton and replace him with Bob Lemon. Replacing Lemon in the pen will be :stonk:Harry Brecheen:stonk:.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VII, Dynamo League Week 20: Ready to Sell Out

Games of the Week

The Case Files of Don Slaught, P.I. posted:

It certainly was cold that day. 54 degrees if you believe the thermometer. It's always cold here in Rochester Generics, and you won't find any warmth from the people, either.

The case was simple, my old boss, Archie Goodwin, had called me in. He wanted to know how the Generics were surviving without any good players. He had heard that drugs were involved, but needed to know for sure. It had been months since he made me turn in my starting catcher badge after what happened in St. Paul. Part of me wanted to let Archie stew in the mess he had made, but the other part of me realizing that there was no way I was making rent if I turned down the case.

Rochester isn't hell on earth. It's much more depressing. Imagine a place without any real life. Where the sun hardly ever shines and it feels like it's going to rain all the time. Perfect sleuthing weather. They say that Rochester used to be a bustling city, where the factories hummed with life and the people were happy. I guess it doesn't matter whether or not that story's true, because it's been a long time since then.

I made my way to the Generic's stadium a few hours before the game. There wasn't a lot of security. I guess a team in Rochester can't really afford it. Then again, I guess I'll take good luck when I can get it.

Under the stadium was a network of tunnels, I heard voices in the distance, so I followed them. I wish I hadn't. I emerged into a vast, brightly-lit room, filled with test tubes, centrifuges, all the stuff you would need to run a lab...a drug lab. They found me quick, my trenchcoat stood out among the lab geeks, and I had to make a break for it. I found a catwalk running across the top of the room, and it seemed like the way out, and it might have been, but for a hopped-up Tim Teufel appearing out of nowhere to knock me over the ledge and right into a vat of...something. I can't remember what happened next. All I saw where flashes, images, and then...the Macho Man...he appeared to me in all of his flourescent glory. I can't remember much of that night, but I can remember what he told me, verbatim:

"Don Slaught, I am the Macho Man, oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah! And I come bearing you an important message. If you do not save the Gumshoes from certain relegation, then the entire Dynamo League may be doomed! Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah! Don Slaught, you and the Gumshoes have got to save everyone, no one else can do it! Go now, Don Slaught, and remember, I am always with you! Oh yeeeeeeeeeeah!"

And then I woke up, surrounded by a bunch of corpses, and with my hands covered in blood. Now I was in real trouble...

Oh, and we lost the game badly. gently caress.

Box Score

Don May posted:

ORANGES EDGE BEARERS 5-4

St. Paul- The Oranges won, and, in the end, that is all that really matters.

It wasn't an easy win, admittedly, the game went to extra innings, and it required some extra heroics from the Oranges to pull it out, as a sliding Placido Polanco was barely able to tag home before Kenny Lofton's throw to the plate arrived.

oldskool, owner of the Florida Oranges and noted Ryback apologist, was happy to take the win, "And still the Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiintercontinental Champion of the Super-League, your Florida Oranges! oldskool is grateful to his little Oranges for getting him another win.

Still, that's not enough. After three seasons, it is finally tiem for oldskool to become the Super-League Champion of the World. That is not going to be easy, because we are many, many games back with not many games left to go, but that's okay, because our division is currently being led by the Losers. And if you think that oldskool is going to lose to them, then you must think that oldskool is the world's biggest loser. And if oldskool is the loser, then he deserves to be called the Losers, and so, when the Losers win, it'll really be his team winning the Vae Victis Division." oldskool's logic, tortured as it was, drew a sharp response from Lord Mayor Humumgus, Warlord and Manager of the Rockford Losers.

In a message delivered live via satellite, Lord Mayor Humungus promised that, "A river of blood will stream down from the Appalachian mountains and flood the state of Florida. But, of course, by then there will be no one left in Florida to watch the encroaching order, for it will be there blood that is streaming, after my band of highwaymen has invaded their state and captured their population to use in my unorthodox irrigation project. That will be the result of any trickery attempted by the Oranges to deny me my proper place in the playoffs."

Viscount Slim, general manager of the Bearers by default, briefly discussed his disappointment with his team, "Clearly, Lofton's arm was the immediate cause of our loss. It is no surprise, as Lofton was never known for the strength of his throwing arm. A pity, really, I once had high hopes for the this team, and yet they seemed doomed to relegation. Enough talk of my failures! After all, my own team had a much better week..."

Box Score

Don May posted:

IMPERIALISTS STAY HOT WITH 2-0 WIN OVER RADBOURNS

Raleigh- "....As I was saying, it was another uncomfortably humid day in Raleigh when my Imperialists took the field against the Radbourns.

"Despicable team, those Radbourns. So often our youth is overcome with a certain amount of hubris that impels them to believe they can fly in the face of tradition and emerge unscathed, or even improved by the effort. For as long as baseball has been played, teams have used starting pitchers, but the Radbourns, with the wrong-headed revolutionary zeal that only the temerity of youth can produce believes that they can abandon this tradition, and deploy reliever after reliever to win games for them.

"They are wrong, of course, as their dismal record makes clear. Still, I was not above taking a win from them myself. Hilton, my most dependable starter, made sure of that. I do not know where I would be without him. I certainly would not have survived my first season, let alone the last campaign. He was outstandinhg today. And, with a seven game advantage over our nearest rival, I do think that there is little chance that the Imperialists will not repeat as Memento Mori Champions this season. Glory be to the Crown and to the Imperialists!"

The Radbourns, currently captained by Dr. Mike Marshall, responded that, "Science has made great strides over the past century, why can't we find new ways to utilize starting pitchers! For too long, man has been afraid of where science is taking him, but it is time to embrace a future where base humanity is a treatable medical condition. When young pitchers have their weak, flesh arms replaced with mighty solar-powered arm cannons, and their knees and hips, where the real power behind a pitch comes from, reinforced with titanium. These heroic cyborg pitchers will lead us into a new age of steel, when man and machine finally become one!"

Box Score

I hate all of your teams more than you can imagine! Here are your statistics!

Analysis

Miggy has finally become the first one of your players to crack double-digit home runs, that only took...20 weeks. Clearly, yours is a team built on pitching, which isn't so unusual. Then again, I've never seen a Super-League do so well with so much finesse pitching. That is impressive.

Analysis

That offense is going to be the death of you.

Analysis

Ah, the Imperialists, never great, but always good enough. A few more seasons, and you'll be the Bobbleheads of the Dynamo League.

I suggest you platoon Matt Williams and Eddie Mathews at 3B. Normally, Mathews is better, but, with his struggles, I can see no reason not to give him a caddy to handle left-handed pitchers.

Analysis

Why are you so unlucky? It doesn't matter, I guess, your team, plus Barry Bonds, is almost certain to escape from the Gauntlet, so, uh...please play well enough so that we don't end the season with the miserable optics of another returning team crushing the last hopes of a bunch of rookies.

Analysis

The weird thing is that you aren't completely out of the woods in terms of winning your division. The Generics still have an outside shot of coming back. And if they win the series against the Dervishes next week...

Conversely, you win or sweep, and the race is probably over.

Analysis

I can sum up the reasons that the Oranges won't make the playoffs in one word: Joba.

Analysis

A bunch of injuries, but the Bangers do have the deepest reserves in the Super-League.

Analysis

Keep working.

Analysis

DOA

Analysis

And the Postmodernists respond with a good week, because they won't go down quietly until everyone thinks they are capable of surviving relegation.

Analysis

A good comeback for the Bulldogs, but they'll need to build on it and soon. They need to win both series next week.

Analysis

Poorskeepsie

Analysis

The astounding rise of the Generics continues. How do they do it?

Analysis

Not the best week you've ever had, but we're well past the point were it matters.

Analysis

Less staying power than the Ryback!

Analysis

Time for the Bearers to be put down.

Standings and Leaders

Gauntlet/Playoffs Picture

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Put Fregosi in at 2B and Allison at LF for next week. We'll need everyone rested up for the stretch run.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I'm rooting so hard for 68-OVR Chick Hafey to carry the Generics to the playoffs.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Planning on holding onto that safe spot with both fists.

Posey out for Sweeney for the week. I think at this point that's a given.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

I am really looking forward to Spring Break so I can make full use of that season pass. ...and they're making another Star Wars movie? gently caress, I hope they film in Mexico.

Call up Belle, start him in left, send down Sosa. Start Lofton in center for a week.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Re: a 3B platoon, yeah, I think I'll switch to that after Polanco heals up and I can take Matt "Not A Shortstop" Williams out of the daily lineup.

Thanks for the double-feature game of the week. Poor Bearers. Speaking of...

A message to posterity: Do not draft '67 Tom Seaver! Yes, I know, it's Tom Seaver...but it is rookie Tom Terrific and he will loving end you!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mornacale posted:

I'm rooting so hard for 68-OVR Chick Hafey to carry the Generics to the playoffs.
It's so ridiculous, and apparently he's not a terrible 1B either. :iiam:

I'm also pretty sure I got that version of Don Slaught from the 87 Rangers simply because Smasher liked the name and put him on my team unbidden. So he should have recognized his former team owner :colbert:

Also, if it's time to put the Bearer's down, is the Bearers incorporated in Delaware or any other jurisdiction that follows Revlon? Because it would be, uh, helpful to know for liquidation purposes and the scope to which we can loot unwind the team.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 3, 2012

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

Tim Teufel living in the dank tunnels under Rochester seems very true to life. Nil desperandum, Don.

DL The Barber and The Rickey - Don Baylor back to left, Baines back to right. Call up, um, Von Hayes. Stick Tanana back in the fifth rotation slot, bump Boomer to long man, call up Pettitte to middle relief.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Given that most of the division races are less than ideally competitive this year, I'm thinking of reforming the playoff system for next year. But, before I do that, I wanted to hear from you guys, since it's your teams that are going to be affected.

So, thoughts?

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Given that most of the division races are less than ideally competitive this year, I'm thinking of reforming the playoff system for next year. But, before I do that, I wanted to hear from you guys, since it's your teams that are going to be affected.

So, thoughts?

Depends on how oyu want to modify things. I mean I don't think I will make it through 4 rounds of the gauntlet with a good deal of luck so it would affect me only in the season after the next one, if the league is still around. it might just be bad luck this season but punishing people for having build a great team is probably not the way to go.

Then again from a more or less neutral situation I'm open to suggestions.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I think that you should pack the old teams together and the new teams together (For example, in the Dynamo League, you can use the Daulton League for all the newbies and Grace League for returning teams). I'd also recommend splitting the gauntlet into new teams and old teams to further prune out older teams.

The biggest issue I've seen with these teams is the stagnation of the older teams who only survive by eating up crappy new teams. In every new group, for every R'yleh Cultists there is a Second City Saints and two Old Hoss Radbourns.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
I think one of the main reasons the new breed is falling so far behind the old guard that the loving Splinter Cells can win is twofold: The good feeders are drying up, and the older teams have had up to six seasons to fill the gaps their feeder teams had with trades.

Giving EC teams access to better feeders, or just more points worth of feeders, would address this I reckon. Give them 12 points of feeders instead of ten so they can patch their own gaps and they should be at about the level of a 2-3 season veteran.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Guess I need to sit Frank Thomas this week. New lineup for vs RHP:
2B Rose
LF Speaker
SS Cronin
CF Charleston
RF Robinson
1B Youkilis
C Torre/Martinez
3B Ventura
P Pitcher

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
: Bonds again wounded, Hershiser too good to last, and now the superhuman Aceves struck down. Shall I lay my cards on the table? Seneca would advise latere semper patere, quod latuit diu, but I do not know if we can afford such discretion. So, let us hope that fire that is closest kept burns most of all. Come forward.

: Base Ball is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are champions in baseball.

DL Barrold and Aceves, send down Hershiser for the week. Rijo to the rotation, Guzman up to long relief. Call up Vladdy. Teddy back to LF, Berkman/Vladdy platoon in RF. Sit Lajoie for the week in favor of Polanco.

And, of course, '82 Rollie is new eighth inning man.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

Fernandomania has come to Polyarny. Hysterical realism, ahoy!

To continue the theme of madness in the bullpen, Valenzuela will be closing for us. Reardon can get to work building his own iceberg. Speaking of bergs, Falkenberg comes in for Reuschel.

Platoon <sigh> Tom Herr with Nap Lajoie to rest him. Do the same with Beckley and Hall of Famer Joe Kelley.

Sorry for disappearing, I live too close to the Atlantic, apparently

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Actually, pull LaMarr Hoyt and stick General Crowder into short relief. He did OK there earlier this year, as I recall.

Re: strength of starting teams, I was helped out a bit by both the first auction and a couple challenges. That was nice.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Dynamo League Week 21 Injury Report

Oh for gently caress's sake, the Radbourns are the new Intercontinental Champions. What the gently caress.

Antarctica Unspecifieds
Pie Traynor (3B) (The Dream is over) - 11 days

Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Nolan Ryan (SP) (I will make this a competitive division race, drat it!) - 11 days

Old Hoss Radbourns
Mike Stanton (RP) (Shock of winning Intercontinental Champion killed him) - Out for season

Polyarny Postmodernists
Sam Crawford (OF) (Went on voyage of inner discovery) - 20 days

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The challenges really help (as witnessed by my team) but you need to have players worth offering and the depth necessary to absorb a loss if things go awry. I think allowing new teams 12 points regardless of prior participation might counter the general inflation that occurs, but old teams will just have an advantage over new teams. Whether it's an insuperable advantage is up for debate though.

I am curious how Smasher intends to reform the system though.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Dynamo League Week 21 Injury Report

Oh for gently caress's sake, the Radbourns are the new Intercontinental Champions. What the gently caress.

Every duck has its day. Hoo-rah.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Well, 3B is the one position where I have depth at least. Put Baker in there for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

ForeverBWFC posted:

I think one of the main reasons the new breed is falling so far behind the old guard that the loving Splinter Cells can win is twofold: The good feeders are drying up, and the older teams have had up to six seasons to fill the gaps their feeder teams had with trades.

Giving EC teams access to better feeders, or just more points worth of feeders, would address this I reckon. Give them 12 points of feeders instead of ten so they can patch their own gaps and they should be at about the level of a 2-3 season veteran.

I don't think the quality of feeders is an issue. I think the problem was the Challenge system ended up helping the big teams a lot more than the small teams, widening the gap significantly, and I say that as one of the major beneficiaries.

One thing we discussed in chat the other day was implementing a Super League version of the Rule V draft.

For those of you not familiar with the inner workings of baseball, the Rule V draft is one of those weird little things about baseball that even most Americans don't get. It works like this:

-Players who've been kicking around the minors for a while but haven't gotten a chance to play in the majors deserve the opportunity to switch to a team that might use them.
-Therefore, any player who has been around for X years is eligible for the Rule V draft.
-Each team can protect 40 players who would otherwise be eligible for the Rule V draft -- when you hear baseball folks talk about the 40-man roster, this is what they mean.
-If you take a player in the Rule V draft, it has to be because you intend to actually use him, so Rule V players must stay on the 25-man roster for a full season after being taken (barring injury).

For the Super League, we were talking about implementing a version of this so that borderline guys from the minor leagues of teams like the Bangers, the Bobbles and the Landers could find starting jobs on expansion teams, giving them a better chance of surviving. A guy like Dennis Leonard or young Nellie Fox is injury insurance for me, but could legitimately help some expansion clubs. Of course, since most teams in the Super League don't have hundreds of guys like real life teams, we'd have a much smaller protected list, something like 28-30 guys, and there'd have to be some sort of compensation for the lost player.

Obviously, there are still a lot of issues to work out with this stuff, like what the compensation would be -- none of us had any idea. If anyone has any suggestions or alternatives, that'd be great. Things aren't remotely set in stone, and I know Smasher would love an idea that would take less effort on his part to implement.