Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Darth Freddy posted:

Thank god for forklifts for people who would let me put the entire pallet in the truck.

There are people who DON'T? gently caress, if you're buying a pallet or more of something, it makes sense to take it all on the pallet, especially if you're willing to bring it back.

And if you don't have to, more lumber for the treehouse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I'm pretty positive J is going to get fired soon, but I'm not necessarily holding my breath.

Today she came in with bandaids on her finger, taking care of a customer wearing no gloves. :gonk:

I swooped in and finished his order (luckily all salads), upon closer inspection her bandaid had BLOOD ON THE OUTSIDE OF IT. I was arguing with her that that was not ok and that she needed to do something about it, she insisted that it was a new bandaid, therefore acceptable.
:aaaaa:"I see blood on it"
:cry:'well it's a new band aid so it's fine'
:aaaaa:"ok, but I SEE blood".
I then reached over, threw out the stuff she had already gotten prepared, said it was a biohazard and got new stuff. After the customer left (he didn't hear any of this going on) she was like
:cry:"I guess I'll just have to wear gloves my entire shift then?"
:cripes:"Yes. That's the law"

I went and told one of the bosses. I'm pretty sure that would be the straw that broke the camels back. Never in my LIFE would I have considered ever taking care of a food order without gloves on if I had a bandaid on. ESPECIALLY if it was still bleeding.

The part I neglected to mention, is that the salad she got for him she had over-filled, so instead of scooping the excess back into the bowl, she squeezed the lid down and all of the extra oozed out. So she was then manhandling his food trying to shove it back in WITH HER BLOODY BANDAID FINGER. :barf: She also licked some of the stuff off of one of her fingers and went to continue taking care of him, but I took over when I saw that.
When you don't see an issue with that then you NEED to be away from the public because you will honestly kill someone. She refused to do anything for the rest of the night that would have required her to change her gloves or that would have gotten them wet, but that was honestly the least of my worries. Thank christ it was slow. (Before anyone asks I didn't really catch her wearing the bandaid without gloves until she was already taking care of him and manhandling stuff.)

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
Merry Christmas everyone! Apparently the day after Halloween is when they start slowly integrating Christmas music into our radio system. I don't remember it starting so early last year. Thanksgiving day is when it starts 24/7 though, I can't wait to hear the K-mart TV Christmas jingle over and over again.

I've already heard "Santa Baby" this morning and that was almost enough to throw me over the edge.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

D34THROW posted:

There are people who DON'T? gently caress, if you're buying a pallet or more of something, it makes sense to take it all on the pallet, especially if you're willing to bring it back.

And if you don't have to, more lumber for the treehouse!

Heh, you're a funny guy. We get customers on a daily basis who want us to load a good 30-50 bags of Masonary Cement (40kg - About 88lbs each). A skid is 56 and we're not allowed to give them the skid unless they've paid for it. Thank god I'm young.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Dead Pikachu posted:

Merry Christmas everyone! Apparently the day after Halloween is when they start slowly integrating Christmas music into our radio system. I don't remember it starting so early last year. Thanksgiving day is when it starts 24/7 though, I can't wait to hear the K-mart TV Christmas jingle over and over again.

I've already heard "Santa Baby" this morning and that was almost enough to throw me over the edge.

Our christmas music starts tomorrow, but we started making christmas drinks and christmas blend coffee as a "sneak peak" on Monday

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I'm reallllly glad I work in a store where I can change the music at will. We will not be listening to christmas music until after Thanksgiving or I will shoot myself, I swear to god.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Our Christmas music started on the 28th because that was the day our big toy catalog was released and a bunch of sales started. And it wasn't a slow integration either, like every 3rd song is a Christmas song.

Today is my first day off after working 7 days in a row. I just got a call asking if I could come in and cover. I told them no way I'm not working 8 days in a row, I have plans tonight. (Those plans will probably involve me sitting at home and relaxing.) I would never call out if I'm scheduled but I don't feel bad in the least saying I'm not going in on my day off. I do go in sometimes though if I haven't been already working all week.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Dead Pikachu posted:

Bed, Bath, and Beyond usually started it on Black Friday, I think. But my side of the store has one of those music demo stations where they are selling 12-16 CDs or so and you hear random snippets of the songs on it (or you can select albums)... About half a month ago the Christmas music started being integrated on it. Thankfully that thing is up front in the Christmas room now (then again I'm gone so.... it only helps the people in my section).

I seem to recall one year our station for Christmas had 3-4 different versions of Santa Baby on it. One of them had the singer constantly doing this weird flirty orgasmic giggle now and then and... holy gently caress. I wanted to find her and beat her to death with her own limbs.

Also the Christmas station last year was the worst ever. It only had about 6-7 hours of music on it (usually our stations have ~10 hours). Add to the fact that most songs on it had another version......... -_-

It's not as bad as when I worked at a Halloween store and we literally had a 40 minute CD on loop for our own music. Also, after Halloween, we immediately listened to a Christmas station until the store closed. Oh God.

----

On a side note, the station we had playing at work before I left was great / hilarious. It had a lot of nice old classic rock songs on it, and very few current pop songs.

Then it had a LOT of disco songs. Like some of the most disco sounding songs ever. Some people hated it, I thought it was hilarious every time. Each time the songs played, I could only imagine horrifically dressed disco people doing stuff in the store or disco Stu roller blading around and dancing. I guess whatever works to distract you...huh?

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

Whilst small boys and old men seem totally incapable of flushing away their piss, on the whole, it's in the bowl. Women, however have some bizarre habit of trying to carpet the floor with toilet paper. It's normally clean(ish), but every time a woman leaves one of our toilets there is paper EVERYWHERE. Is it 'two sheets for me, three for the floor' with each wipe or what?

It's because they've torn off strips of toilet paper to put on the seat. *cue The More You Know music*

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MaxDuo posted:

I seem to recall one year our station for Christmas had 3-4 different versions of Santa Baby on it.

That has to be against some law, even in the US.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Giant Goats posted:

It's because they've torn off strips of toilet paper to put on the seat. *cue The More You Know music*

That makes sense. Still, found an empty bottle of White Zinfandel nestling amongst the paper on the floor today- classy!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
The shopping center near where I live has already decorated all the lamp posts with garland and ornaments, and I've already seen some cars driving around with bows tied to the front grill. How long will it be till it's just Christmas year-round?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I put in my 8 days notice and I get one main reaction:

What is your new job paying you? I can check and see if we can match it?

So you needed my threat to quit to offer me a raise. And that itself would not be awful if that same thing did not seriously happen last February (that time I elected to stay). It not only is frustrating to have to quit to get a raise, but the other assistant manager at my same store is now like. "Wtf, where is my raise?"

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Duckman2008 posted:

So I put in my 8 days notice and I get one main reaction:

What is your new job paying you? I can check and see if we can match it?

So you needed my threat to quit to offer me a raise. And that itself would not be awful if that same thing did not seriously happen last February (that time I elected to stay). It not only is frustrating to have to quit to get a raise, but the other assistant manager at my same store is now like. "Wtf, where is my raise?"

If you have to threaten to quit in order for your employer to realise that they're undervaluing you, that's just one more reason to go through with it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Plus they now know you want to leave. There'd be nothing stopping them from just trying to keep you on with promises of a raise until they can get a suitable replacement trained/transferred and then let you go.

Go with the sure thing.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
It's the typical noob manager response to try nad match. They will not forget this. Like others have said you will be even more likely to be replaced. Plus you aren't happy, or else why you would seek out another job at all? Just go.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I definitely had a lady who watches Oprah come through my line tonight.

She shows me the three bundles of fake flowers she has in her hands and points out that one of them is a "fall" kind of fake flower. She then asks if I can give her a "bargain" since it's the last one. When I said "I don't think so", she decided not to get it. Then her husband made her get it anyway :v:

Lady, it's a loving dollar. Stop haggling over a loving dollar, not even the Indians at the liquor store next door try to haggle us.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

It's the typical noob manager response to try nad match. They will not forget this. Like others have said you will be even more likely to be replaced. Plus you aren't happy, or else why you would seek out another job at all? Just go.

Ask them to match the raise, as much more than the new place as the new place is over your current job. See, you don't actually want to stay, but if they actually give you that drat much money you'll fall into the valuable employee category (and get a huge raise). That means you'll be very hard to gently caress with, after all they did give you that huge raise. They have to tell corporate wonderful things about you to justify it and backing down on that later would be the kind of loss of face most managers would rather eat a plate of poo poo rather than suffer. Complaints up the ladder are more likely to be listened too as well.

They aren't going to give it to you, but ask 'em to match the raise. There's no downside for you.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

D34THROW posted:

I definitely had a lady who watches Oprah come through my line tonight.

She shows me the three bundles of fake flowers she has in her hands and points out that one of them is a "fall" kind of fake flower. She then asks if I can give her a "bargain" since it's the last one. When I said "I don't think so", she decided not to get it. Then her husband made her get it anyway :v:

Lady, it's a loving dollar. Stop haggling over a loving dollar, not even the Indians at the liquor store next door try to haggle us.

How the hell does that have anything to do with Oprah? When I worked at Hastings OJ had just released his book "If I had done it" or what have you. I had three middle aged house wives come in and ask me about it, sure its right over there folks! Then they went on to say how Oprah had told all of her viewers to go into book stores and turn all of his books around. Gee thanks for telling me what I will have to go fix later....I guess?

I swear book stores get all of the crazies.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Darth Freddy posted:

How the hell does that have anything to do with Oprah? When I worked at Hastings OJ had just released his book "If I had done it" or what have you. I had three middle aged house wives come in and ask me about it, sure its right over there folks! Then they went on to say how Oprah had told all of her viewers to go into book stores and turn all of his books around. Gee thanks for telling me what I will have to go fix later....I guess?

I swear book stores get all of the crazies.

I could've sworn there were multiple postings in this thread and its previous iteration about Oprah telling people to haggle (if not also how to haggle), which made its way onto bargain hunter websites. :shobon:

IndenturedHobo
May 17, 2008
Dear Lady,

Where did you find cotton candy in November, why did you take it to the bathroom, and are you the one who puked all over that stall? What is WRONG with you people?

Dear Co-Worker,

Why did you poop so hard that our super-toilet couldn't even stop you? That thing could probably loving kill you if you're sitting while it flushes for god's sake. That thing is like goddamn Atomos, and you STILL managed to kill it. Eat something that isn't a goddamn candy bar for fucks sake.

IndenturedHobo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 4, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

Ha, what's funny is I tried to quit last February and they offered me a promotion, raise and benefits as a response (the fact that I wasn't getting them already, as lead sales of the region was crazy). So I stayed a while because you can move up fast in theory. And yeah, they are probably a good bit sincere in "let's see what we can do," but they don't give any plans on paths to get raises, promotions, etc, and beyond whatever my next position would be, there are like no options. So I'm going to a bigger company, at least I'll get paid more.

FYI, I was assistant manager as my most recent position at this company, and just getting sales at corporate gets me higher hourly, better benefits (hello 401K and tuition reimbursement), and higher commission. I'm making more in my training commission bonus than a normal sales month at my last gig. Corporate just pays better.

And it'll be nice selling a service with actual coverage (i'll be working for AT&T versus selling Sprint).

The upside is my coworker who travels a shitton to get to work is suddenly getting the green light for travel reimbursement! Win win!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yesterday I went exploring the Christmas set and found our "Proud to be an American" singing Santas, the dancing flamingos, and the assorted company mascot ornaments. I was so hopeful that the singing santas didn't exist at our store, but nooooo. :(

(Someone else has seen the horror, too!)

Our store manager also admitted at the meeting yesterday morning that we get the most rear end in a top hat customers of any store he's ever managed (and he's the district's "fixer" manager who gets transferred in to bring stores up to par, so he's been to a lot of them). Then he went on to say that we still have to kill them with kindness and get better scores on the customer surveys because our store has the lowest scores in the district. YAY!

Also dear customers: Just because I am sunny and friendly to you during your transaction does NOT mean I am hitting on you, nor does it mean you are welcome to hit on me. This is a professional relationship and I am being friendly because I need good customer survey scores (and my managers are watching me, in case you were too stupid to notice them RIGHT NEXT TO MY REGISTER). Also I'm engaged and mentioned MY FIANCE when you started hitting on me. Please refrain from asking me out for coffee while I am scanning your cart. Thanks!

Honestly my job doesn't have that much to complain about currently, if the theft problem (half our rear end in a top hat customers are also thieves) and the being hit on constantly would go away I'd be very happy.

And good for you for going for the better job. When I left my last job my manager looked absolutely pathetic and asked me if she could match pay... I told her there was no way she could do it and went happily on my way. The store sent me a letter last week asking me to return and work seasonal hours for them. I'd rather swallow a razor blade, thanks! :fuckoff:

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 5, 2012

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
So this was rather cathartic. I read all 214 pages over my first week of vacation in a convoluted way to cleanse my soul. Why would you ask? I just got out of retail (in middle management). Why is that important? I was in retail since 1991. I started volunteering in my father's business (also in retail) since 1987.

I do believe i qualify as a retail lifer, but alas, no more! Still with the same company, but moved over to the call center (dealing with vendors, not actual clients). And before you ask, I'm the same age as Jesus when he died, so i really started working early (i was eleven with my first "paid" job)

So, 20 years in the video store business and six years in my current job (telecom).

Since i still have a week before i head back to work, feel free to ask a middle manager how he managed to keep his sanity! I'll type out some stories over the week, like (or you can ask me questions about anything, since I've been on both sides of the coin):

Heroin for late fees!
Whaddaya mean my dog poo poo on your carpet?!
29 hour shift? No problem!
My top crappy employees!
Rose McGowan eating popcorn and critiquing her movie!
Somebody's stealing the candy machine!
No late fees! No problem!
A thirteen year old's life in the porno room!

Etc, etc.

For background, i worked in over forty different video stores.....

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

:justpost: We want to hear all of the crazy stories.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
So I've been working the past few days with a bad case of laryngitis. Fun fun fun, especially since this past weekend was super busy, like even more busy than back-to-school. The weekend overall was very successful, but goddamn, the more I talk to customers the less my voice recovers. My next off day is Friday.

Otherwise, have some more dumb customer stories:

Last week a man came to my register asking for a price check on some frames. They came up like around $9, and the man tells me that he saw them for a different price. He shows me the price tag, and he was correct. However, most people point out inaccurate prices when the product rings up higher than the price tag. In this rare situation it was the opposite. The tag on the shelf was about $11. I explained to him that the frames had just gone on sale and we were in the middle of switching out tags, but for some unknown reason he was upset that the frames rang up less than what he saw them for. He ended up walking out without buying anything :psyduck:

This morning, I got a phone call from another man asking if we carried a certain brand and color of paint, and how much it cost. We had some in stock and I told him the price. The man wanted to know if we could price match it with another store. So I pulled up the competitor's website and told him their price. We sold the paint for about 3 cents less than what our competitor sold it for, not counting the cost of shipping. Even though it was already a moot point since our paint was cheaper than our competitor's, the caller was confused as to why he had to pay for shipping.

:spidey:: Because if we are matching with [competitor]'s price, it would be as if you were directly buying from their website.
:reject:: Can't I just go to [competitor] and get it myself?

If I didn't have to remain professional, I would have told him to go right ahead. I mean, what do we care? He doesn't want to pay our slightly lower price, that's not our problem. He ended up buying the paint from us anyway.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

stab posted:

Rose McGowan eating popcorn and critiquing her movie!

I am desperately curious as to what film and what she said about it. :justpost:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

froglet posted:

I am desperately curious as to what film and what she said about it. :justpost:

okay so backstory:

working at a 24hr video store, and i pulled the night shift (10 pm to 7 am while I was going to school /battlewarrior). It's about 2 am, and I'm closing the day batch to set up for the new day. Client comes in, and I had just been spamming a movie on repeat one of the indie loving fucktwit staff had put on (i can always tune out what's on so it becomes more of a habit to press play). In comes a woman, and she starts perusing the store. After 5 minutes or so she walks up to the counter and goes

:j: hey I like your choice of movie

Me: Oh I didn't pick it, one of my staff did, it's called the doom genetics or something like that (real smooth, I know)

:j: No, it's called the doom generation, and your shirt is awesome, my boyfriend is in a metal band :v

me: Oh you've seen it before? And thanks, Megadeth is such a kickass band!

:j: You have no idea who i am do you? I'm IN this movie!

me: :aaaaa: (obviously I connected the dots)

:j: well I'm bored (no poo poo it's 2 am!), mind if i stick around and watch it?

me: No problem, Rose, let me get you a chair (went and got her a chair), hey want some popcorn?

:j: sure!

me: (gives her day old popcorn, gently caress that I'm not making a fresh batch just for her, wasted profit!)

So she watched the movie, sitting down in my store, while I sat next to her when there were no clients ... this was the summary

:j: ugh, i'm so fat, the director was clueless here, i hated this guy, etc etc etc. Then she even swore in Italian

me: :aaaaa: you speak italian???? oh i forgot to ask, what band is your boyfriend in?

:j: I lived in italy for ten years! aww it's so cute that you know nothing about me!

:j: my boyfriend is marilyn manson

me: :aaaaa:

me: wow, you can say that! That's cool, is he nice, blah blah blah (got into a mini discussion on heavy metal)

so she stuck around until the end (about 330 am). I comped her popcorn, made some small chitchat, she signed an autograph for me (which we kept on our wall of autographs in the break room until some retarded addict staff member stole all of them in a stupid attempt to sell them online), and she left.

Now this store was in downtown montreal, an I worked there when every second day there was a new movie being filmed in montreal. It was also about ten minutes from the bell centre, and literally down the road from Molson stadium (where the CFL football team plays at). So I had a constant stream of celebrities and sports figures. I still remember the account numbers of Andy Moog, Mike Ribeiro (who was an everyday client with his sister Nancy, Nathan Lane and 15-20 CFL players. My favorite person of note will always be Martin Rucinsky (EX-NHL player famously traded for Patrick Roy), who still owed the store 400$ in late fees from his Jean Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal rentals. He forgot to give us tickets to a Montreal Canadiens game so when we got to the ticket booth to pick them up at will call, I blew a fuse. What Martin forgot is that although I didn't have his cellphone, I had Ribeiro's. Cue me calling Ribeiro (and texting him) telling him what Martin did. An hour before game time, will call gets a call from Mike, boom, free tickets.

I don't think Mike paid for another movie until he got traded to Dallas, and he told me that he gave Martin grief in the dressing room right before the game and a whole bunch of guys ragged him hard, quoting van damme movie lines at him during warm-ups :cool:

stab fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 6, 2012

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

stab posted:

okay so backstory:

Stories like these are why I read this thread. Thanks for sharing!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Regional director and district manager are coming in for a visit tomorrow. Manager's making GBS threads his pants. And I pulled the 11:30-4:00 shift, which means a whole loving shift of trying to push Operation Homefront on people. :smithicide:

I'm glad there's a cigar shop nearby. I'm going to need to sit and smoke for a while after that bullshit.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Well, gently caress. I seriously want to give my manager a hug now, because he had a full-on nervous breakdown last night and just may never come back. He called the assistant manager last night, crying and throwing up in his bathroom and saying how he wanted to just be an assistant manager, he knows where she's coming from now (she used to manage a store a bit south of our location). Add on to the regional director's visit (that didn't happen) that his wife will likely divorce him if he quits his job (she doesn't care that it's destroying him inside and out, she wants him to stay there) and he's completely broken.

I...I don't know what to do if he quits. We all like him too much and I can imagine a full-staff turnover if we have to deal with another manager like the douchenozzle what ran the store before Shaun.

On a less E/N note, I had an old bitch accuse me of stealing today, saying she was sure I was "tipping" myself, which I have no idea how I could be doing. And then her friend handed me a 20 and change after I told her the total, and as usual I responded "Out of $20.14" or whatever the gently caress it was, and she told me "Remember now, it's a $20!"

You loving old cunts. :fuckoff:

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
Gotta prepare for our DM/corporate visit on Friday! Order order order! Straighten straighten straighten! Do as much freight as possible! Don't worry you'll have plenty of time today and Friday morning to get everything looking top notch!

OH WAIT. Nevermind everyone! They've decided they're coming today instead of tomorrow. Guess all that time we could have been straightening the store will be spent getting yelled at by the DM for not having the store straight :bang:

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Just found out that I get to open on Black Friday :suicide: Plus our store is in the shitter due to low numbers again. It's getting tense all around again.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Well another girl quit. So guess who gets to work a double shift today. Some times I wish some one would come in and just shoot me so I could go home.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Hooray. I'm $10.45 short. I have to pay over 1/20th of my already meager paycheck.

Why anyone would voluntarily subject themselves to being a cashier is beyond me. gently caress retail.

Oh and they just hired about 15 new people in the past 3 weeks so surely my hours are only going to go up!!! :suicide:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Sankis posted:

Hooray. I'm $10.45 short. I have to pay over 1/20th of my already meager paycheck.

Wait, is wage garnishment legal in the US? Or is this one of those cases where it's illegal but they'll find some reason to fire you if you point that out?

gently caress me, that's incredibly lovely.
VV

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

rolleyes posted:

Wait, is wage garnishment legal in the US? Or is this one of those cases where it's illegal but they'll find some reason to fire you if you point that out?

It's legal so long as it doesn't bring your earnings to below minimum wage for hours worked. Completely hosed and I'm glad I've never worked in a place with such a policy.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

rolleyes posted:

gently caress me, that's incredibly lovely.
VV

It's not wage garnishment, it's just intimidation. They're threatening me with no more hours (essentially being fired) if I don't pay within 30 days. Which, by the way, just shows that it's simply done as punishment. If they actually cared about getting their money back they wouldn't be so quick to cut your hours. There's apparently at least one person who owes $38 which is large enough that I can understand why someone hasn't paid it.

Wage garnishment is legal, though, you just have to sign for it (in some states? At least you do in PA) and it can't bring you below minimum wage. That's apparently the other thing they'll try to do. The woman who told me that I needed to pay $10.45 originally told me that at the end of 30 days I'd have to sign a wage deduction sheet if I wasn't paid off before the lady from corporate corrected her.

Needless to say I'm going to spend the next 29 days trying to find another job. Probably won't, though. I'm only going to pay it if I absolutely have to.

Sometimes I daydream of unionizing my store.

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages
Frustrating day. Went to a meeting at the corporate office this morning at 9:00am (3 hours away from where I live) to discuss compensation and why there is such high manager turnover. We beat it up and come up with a new compensation plan, and then at the end they say "Okay, well we are only going to try this plan in 10 stores (out of 100) to start, and none of your stores will be in the test group."

So, I won't see any changes for at least 14 months, and that's if it works out the way we suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Looks like everybody is having that annoying holiday corporate walk bullshit going on. Ours will happen some time next week.

I was looking forward to next week, but once again another person in our department is going to miss a few days due to a death in his family. There's no way I can cover those shifts because all other stores are having their hours ramped up due to expected Thanksgiving sales increase and they will also struggle to fill those hours.

I just can't catch a break in having one single week problem free.