Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Midorka posted:

how do I get a light honey? I guess those honey sticks?

Actually honey is going to ferment out almost completely. You want a little honey malt instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

hellfaucet posted:

My question is: If they are giving me a premade 1.065 OG pilsner wort, am I still going to do a 60 minute boil with hop additions and poo poo? I'm still doing extract, so maybe I'm missing that link between all-grain and extract worts. Isn't final OG calculated after the boil?

Some of your questions will only be answerable by people there, but basically here are my thoughts on the possibilities:

1. They neglected to mention that the wort will be hopped and basically all that will be left is to pitch in yeast

2. They are giving you unhopped wort which leads to two further possibilites

a. The wort they give out will be at 1.065 and naturally will get more concentrated depending on how hard/long you boil.

b. They used an in-house formula to guestimate how strong the wort would be after the average 60 minute boil and so it would actually be somewhere between 1.055-1.060 up front and then get to around 1.065 when boiled for an hour.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

hellfaucet posted:

Under the advice of Jacobey000 I've decided to join the homebrew club associated with Kuhnhenn's Brewery in MI, this Saturday they are doing the following in the brewery's parking lots:

Seems basically like the best thing ever for someone who is still trying to get a grip on homebrewing and becoming consistent. Starting with a wort made by one of my all-time favorite breweries doesn't hurt either!

My question is: If they are giving me a premade 1.065 OG pilsner wort, am I still going to do a 60 minute boil with hop additions and poo poo? I'm still doing extract, so maybe I'm missing that link between all-grain and extract worts. Isn't final OG calculated after the boil?

All-grain pilsner malt wort = 90 minute boil. Pilsner malt is among the least kiln malts and needs extra time to boil off DMS precursors.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Super Rad posted:

Some of your questions will only be answerable by people there, but basically here are my thoughts on the possibilities:

1. They neglected to mention that the wort will be hopped and basically all that will be left is to pitch in yeast

This would be my guess, it seems goofy to have people boil the wort again. Condensing it down even more to 1.070+ is just going to leave newbies with lovely beer when they don't do up a starter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Docjowles posted:

This would be my guess, it seems goofy to have people boil the wort again. Condensing it down even more to 1.070+ is just going to leave newbies with lovely beer when they don't do up a starter.

True - newbies probably also don't have the ability to boil 6 gallons of wort, but who knows.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

True - newbies probably also don't have the ability to boil 6 gallons of wort, but who knows.

Yeah this is what confused me the most. I asked a dude if I needed to bring my equipment and he said "Yes." So I kind of just assumed that I'd be taking that wort and doing my own thing with it. It kind of defeats the purpose of showing newbies how to make beer if they only need to pay $10 for some wort and buy a yeast packet to pitch.

e: All that being said, this will be my 7th brew and I don't mind making a starter to bring with me! If I do a 90-minute boil and maybe add 1oz Hallertau at 90, and 1oz Saaz at 30 and 15, pitch with 3787 Trappist high-grav (I do have a pack of 3864 Canadian/Beligan I could use as well) I could turn it into something funky and Belgian and actually good?

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 1, 2012

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

hellfaucet posted:

e: All that being said, this will be my 7th brew and I don't mind making a starter to bring with me! If I do a 90-minute boil and maybe add 1oz Hallertau at 90, and 1oz Saaz at 30 and 15, pitch with 3787 Trappist high-grav (I do have a pack of 3864 Canadian/Beligan I could use as well) I could turn it into something funky and Belgian and actually good?

I'd do 3864, move the hop schedule to toward the end of the boil, 20 and 0. Add in some orange and spices. Don't buy the poo poo in plastic ziploc at the homebrew store for your 'orange' and 'spices'. Buy nice stuff from the grocery store.

The Candyman
Aug 19, 2010

by T. Finninho
I added a little sugar to my cider in order to carbonate it, and it worked, but now it tastes like aviation fuel. Will this go away if I give it a bit of time, or did I screw it up?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Docjowles posted:

edit: realized you probably meant tasting them, not brewing them :downs:

Most of the sours I've done have been kind of a copout. Our homebrew club has a great relationship with New Belgium and they let us age poo poo in barrels they've used for La Folie or other projects, so there's already a great blend of bugs in there stacking the deck in our favor.

If you really want to get into it, look into the book Wild Brews as well as that Mad Fermentationist blog that was linked recently. Back in the older archives he does a ton of experiments as he's learning to brew sours himself.

But TLDR brew a base beer, preferably lightly hopped, Belgian Blonde, Dark or Golden Strong is a good choice. At the end of primary, rack to another carboy and pitch something like Wyeast's Roselare blend or just the dregs of some bottles of good sour beers. Let it sit loving forever, occasionally sampling every month or two. It will look really really gross at times but that's normal, just let it keep going til it tastes good and then bottle. There are other methods, but that one should work.

Brewing a sour ale has been on my mind a lot lately; specifically a sour porter or an Oud Bruin. Yeah, the 6-18 months required is off-putting, but then I ran across the Kentucky Common style and how it meets my immediate gratification needs. Seems promising, though it's probably much more inconsistent than the older methods.

What I'm wondering is this: the aging time is for the secondary, reinoculated Brett/whatever growth - growing a pellicle and subsuming the initially pitched yeast in the base beer while eating all of the long-chain saccharides to produce acids, right? It seems like this can be sped up.

In Kentucky Common it seems like you grow the Brett separately and mix it into sweet wort for the boil, which is much faster but only produces a bit of acid from the quick Brett growth. I'm thinking that an Oud Bruin could be produced relatively quickly from a base beer by adding lactic acid after primary fermentation, followed by inoculation with Brett. The Brett would have better growth conditions and perhaps help to blend the introduced lactic for a more natural flavor.

Am I way off base here, or would adding any amount of lactic acid give it an unavoidable artificial flavor?

The Candyman posted:

I added a little sugar to my cider in order to carbonate it, and it worked, but now it tastes like aviation fuel. Will this go away if I give it a bit of time, or did I screw it up?

What sort of yeast did you use? Some of the cider-specific ones produce sulfur that ages out after a few weeks (such as White Labs English Cider yeast). If it's more of a "hot" flavor, that will age out in a few months.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My hunch would be that just dosing it with acid would make a very one-dimensional flavor. The bugs are spitting out other compounds besides pure acid.

Have you looked into the "sour mash" technique? It's the traditional way of making Berliner Weisse and should only take a few months rather than 12+ to taste good.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Kentucky common is only vaguely related to the Belgian sour styles and is more like a Berlinerweiss. I thought you basically just do a lacto fermentation in the mash for 24-48 hours, no brett really involved.

The way you describe it sounds like a whiskey inoculation which makes sense for a Kentucky common, but is again primarily lacto spiked sacharomyces.

Lacto is really only part of what makes the Belgian sours what they are. Not that there is anything wrong with Berlinerweisse or Kentucky commons and they are definitely easier to play with, especially if you do a sour mash instead of a lacto inoculation into your primary as you have all the acid you're ever going to get at the start.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
While I don't know that it fits any particular sour style, I made a delicious one gallon batch of sour beer I plan on scaling up that tasted ready at 4 months and has only gotten better since.

Here is the beersmith scaled up version:

2lb carapils
10lb Pilsen
.6 oz challenger-boil 30 (14.5 ibu)
.6 oz challenger-boil 10 (6.9 ibu)
.5 grams green cardamom
2lb 2oz frozen blackberries

Yeast: Brett B.

For a while it was a beautiful purple, but then it turned an ugly grey, and finally settled out at an almost peach color.

It's all the way on the left.
:edit: Sorry about the filter...only copy was shared on Instagram. It's more peach then orange.

RiggenBlaque posted:

You need to timg that picture, its way too loving big

Also, sorry for the giant pic, imgur & posting from a phone is hard. :psyduck:

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 2, 2012

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Docjowles posted:

My hunch would be that just dosing it with acid would make a very one-dimensional flavor. The bugs are spitting out other compounds besides pure acid.

This is exactly it: "one-dimensional." You can get away with a tsp of lactic acid in a 5 gallon batch to add a mild hint of tartness, but any more than that and it will taste like beer plus lactic acid instead of "sour beer."

...oh how I wish it could be that simple though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They had a lemonade beer at the Dixie Cup food pairing tasting that was ridiculously good if you want really low effort beer that has sour to it, no fermentation necessary. Or fruit juice that has beer to it. I'm not sure what sort of proportions of lemon juice and beer we are talking about though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Uuuuuuuuugh. Dammit. Life keeps getting in the way so my first chance to brew in like 2 weeks is this Sunday.
Problem is that one of the batches needs to be bottled next Sunday because I leave for vacation and its supposed to be my Thanksgiving beer. Basically I am praying it finishes fermenting and will let it condition for a while in the bottle.

But Sunday should be fun without those worries. Updated version of my dunkelwiezen (adding a hint of spices to it and its a slightly changed recipe based on how the first one went) and FINALLY brewing the Saison de Noel kit from NB. I'm pumped as hell for that one. I've never tried anything brewed with Wyeasts Farmhouse (3726) and really want to see how it goes.

Now to figure out what I'll brew Thanksgiving weekend with my brother since I'll have to get those ingredients soon...

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
gently caress, Thanksgiving is almost here and I have no drat time to brew what with school and work and all that.

I *might* be able to squeeze in a Best Bitter on Saturday, but it will be tight as I am supposed to write a final that day.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Daedalus Esquire posted:

While I don't know that it fits any particular sour style, I made a delicious one gallon batch of sour beer I plan on scaling up that tasted ready at 4 months and has only gotten better since.

Here is the beersmith scaled up version:

2lb carapils
10lb Pilsen
.6 oz challenger-boil 30 (14.5 ibu)
.6 oz challenger-boil 10 (6.9 ibu)
.5 grams green cardamom
2lb 2oz frozen blackberries

Yeast: Brett B.

For a while it was a beautiful purple, but then it turned an ugly grey, and finally settled out at an almost peach color.

It's all the way on the left.
:edit: Sorry about the filter...only copy was shared on Instagram. It's more peach then orange.

You need to timg that picture, its way too loving big

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

zedprime posted:

They had a lemonade beer at the Dixie Cup food pairing tasting that was ridiculously good if you want really low effort beer that has sour to it, no fermentation necessary. Or fruit juice that has beer to it. I'm not sure what sort of proportions of lemon juice and beer we are talking about though.

So a shandy?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Candyman posted:

A little sugar didn't give it that flavor! The normal couple ounces of priming sugar don't really have an effect on flavor as by that point you have tons of yeast in solution that chomp it down immediately, without reproduction. If you put in a pound or more, you could have off flavors but you would certainly have bottle bombs as well.

You probably fermented too hot.

Edit: gently caress you iPhone autocorrect!

tesilential fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 2, 2012

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Midorka posted:

So a shandy?

If you want to be all scientifical about it I guess.

But I think less sugar as its more lemon juice into beer than lemonade into beer. Maybe not. I was pretty sauced already by that point of the night.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Thoughts on this Oatmeal Stout? I'm new to making recipes. This seems rather busy to me at the moment. Trying to decide what to cut out.

% LB OZ °L PPG
77% 4 8 English Maris Otter Mash 4° 34
6% 0 6 Flaked Oats Mash 2° 33
6% 0 6 American Crystal 80L Mash 80° 33
4% 0 4 Briess Crystal 120L Mash 120° 34
3% 0 3 Breiss Dark Chocolate Mash 420° 34
2% 0 2 American Black Patent Mash 127° 26
1% 0 1 Roasted Barley Mash 300° 25

boil 60 min 0.750 Willamette ~ pellet 5.5 » 27.3

Bitterness
27.3 IBU
ƒ: Tinseth
4 HBU
BU:GU

Probably use Windsor yeast?

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Too much Crystal in there, on closer glance.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'd argue the Black Patent isn't really contributing anything except maybe color. And the Crystal 120 seems out of place unless the goal is an oatmeal raisin stout (which would probably be pretty good :))

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Docjowles posted:

I'd argue the Black Patent isn't really contributing anything except maybe color. And the Crystal 120 seems out of place unless the goal is an oatmeal raisin stout (which would probably be pretty good :))

Like an Oatmeal Raisin cookie. That does sound pretty good, not really what I'd want to make a batch of though. More something I'd try once. I'll swap that out.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Just a head's up to anyone else lame enough to be hanging around their computer this friday night - hops direct is putting up their pellet hops of Cascade and Centennial as well as some weird variety they make called Belma. The Belma part would be unworthy of mentioning if it wasn't for the fact that they are $5 / pound. I picked up a pound because at those prices how bad could they be?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
RE: Brewing sours

I made my first sour wheat ale with WB-06 and 4(ish?) bottle dregs of my favorite stuff. At 2 months it was very sour w/lacto character. It was very drinkable, but I want to see where it goes.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

RiggenBlaque posted:

Just a head's up to anyone else lame enough to be hanging around their computer this friday night - hops direct is putting up their pellet hops of Cascade and Centennial as well as some weird variety they make called Belma. The Belma part would be unworthy of mentioning if it wasn't for the fact that they are $5 / pound. I picked up a pound because at those prices how bad could they be?

Picked up a pound each of Centennial and Columbus, and 2 pounds of Belma. Might as well go nuts at that price.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

RiggenBlaque posted:

:cheers: Lame people!

Thanks, Riggen, I ordered a few assorted pounds including Belma just because.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Gracias for the HopsDirect hookup. Bought a couple of pounds. Seriously, even if it doesn't have a great flavor/aroma profile, it could be used as a clean bittering addition with those high AA %'s!

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

The only thing that has me worried is that a quick cursory google search revealed a few people comparing the aroma to the infamous durian fruit, which smells so bad that most countries where the fruit is popular ban it being eaten indoors.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Yeah, but I have a friend who can't stand Simcoe, and compares it to an uncleaned catbox. For $5, if I think it smells like poo poo, I won't cry.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Jacobey000 posted:

Na. But why are you aiming for week, might I ask?

Sorry it took so long to reply. Anyway, I aimed for a week initial just based on fermentation times on ales I remember brewing. I'm only getting back into this after being away from the hobby for a decade, so part of this is getting back into the saddle, so to speak. When I put this batch in (and that wine I put in a few weeks ago) I realized that I didn't even have a hygrometer, for instance. I still haven't gone to pick one up, so I'm just sort of winging it. I'll probably get one tomorrow, since I planned on racking my wine over to a secondary this weekend.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sorry it took so long to reply. Anyway, I aimed for a week initial just based on fermentation times on ales I remember brewing.

You can skip the transfer to secondary. There's really no benefit to it, and possibly some detriment. When I've done ciders, I just leave them in primary for four weeks, and then package. Cider is going to be slower than ale, which I usually package after no more than two weeks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Jo3sh posted:

You can skip the transfer to secondary. There's really no benefit to it, and possibly some detriment. When I've done ciders, I just leave them in primary for four weeks, and then package. Cider is going to be slower than ale, which I usually package after no more than two weeks.

Four weeks from pitching, or four weeks from start of fermentation, generally?

Wouldn't the secondary clear it up a bit? Not that I'm particularly concerned with clarity. I suppose I've just always done double fermenting because that's how I learned.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Four weeks from pitching, or four weeks from start of fermentation, generally?

Wouldn't the secondary clear it up a bit? Not that I'm particularly concerned with clarity. I suppose I've just always done double fermenting because that's how I learned.

Four weeks from pitching, not that it would make much difference.

Stuff will settle out in secondary, but stuff will settle out in primary also. When it's time to package it, ff you're careful to rack to your bottling bucket without stirring things up, you can have very clear cider or beer in your glass with no extra effort.

Time and cold storage will clear anything.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Well, maybe I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

So beer is 'done' when the hydrometer readings stabilize. However, yeast continues to eat up off flavors even after the fermentation cycle.

How does one determine the balance between these two facts with an IPA (partial mash Two Hearted clone), of which freshness is key? It's a partial mash Two-Hearted clone.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Lesson learned, never put your nose in a bucket of finished fermenting beer, the huge wave of CO2 will drat near knock you out. It made me dizzy as gently caress and light headed.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Midorka posted:

Lesson learned, never put your nose in a bucket of finished fermenting beer, the huge wave of CO2 will drat near knock you out. It made me dizzy as gently caress and light headed.

Ha, yeah- did this on my first brew, was convinced I'd done something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

global tetrahedron posted:

So beer is 'done' when the hydrometer readings stabilize. However, yeast continues to eat up off flavors even after the fermentation cycle.

How does one determine the balance between these two facts with an IPA (partial mash Two Hearted clone), of which freshness is key? It's a partial mash Two-Hearted clone.
Package on the early side, sample until it tastes right.