Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

B-Rock452 posted:

I was at CVS waiting for a prescription and found a book titled "Common Myths from the Bible." The entire purpose of the book was to take stuff like "turn the other cheek," "it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for the rich to go into heaven," and show how the bible actually wants you to do the opposite. The entire purpose of the book was to justify acting like a complete rear end in a top hat and further the gently caress you got mine mentality that permeates christianity today.

Was it written by this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtCpVhRtlZ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

He was really funny in college though!

He's still pretty funny.

As crazy as a lot of the other stuff is, I kind of get it - but I don't get how you can still be on the birther train (other than if you'd just never paid any attention - which isn't this guy). The whole conspiracy never made any sense, but at least it had the tired old "if you've got nothing to hide..." bullshit to cling to.

Now it's just sad. Most conspiracy theories fold under an attempt to fit them into a larger worldview, the birther thing doesn't make any sense all on its own.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The birth certificate is fake because I say it's fake! If you disagree you're wrong (and mentally retarded!)

The fact that we (they) made our president prove he is an American (after proving before that like 50 times)--and then still weren't satisfied--is shameful. The whole episode is shameful.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

myron cope posted:

The birth certificate is fake because I say it's fake! If you disagree you're wrong (and mentally retarded!)

The fact that we (they) made our president prove he is an American (after proving before that like 50 times)--and then still weren't satisfied--is shameful. The whole episode is shameful.

Sure. He may say he's human, but have you ever seen any evidence? SHOW US THE DNA SEQUENCE, LIZARDBAMA!!!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I love the way this guy doesn't explain anything or provide the actual quotes he's talking about, just puts them on his powerpoint, says "Jesus said so-and-so" and moves on. Well I'll bet you that some of the verses he brings up have very little to do with what he says they do. Let's take a look.

For example, he cites Deuteronomy 14:22 to say the Bible is opposed to progressive income taxation.

Deuteronomy 14:22 posted:

Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.

Yep, that sure is against progressive taxation.

Proverbs 13:22 is against an estate tax, he says.

Proverbs 13:22 posted:

A good man gives an inheritance to his grandchildren and the wealth of sinners is kept for the righteous.

Actually, I would argue that could be for an estate tax considering it says you should take at least some people's wealth (the sinners) and distribute it to the righteous rather than letting the dead one distribute it. Considering what the bible says about accumulation of wealth, I think I know which side all the rich people handing down millions to their kids would fall on.

I'm sure some of the other ones can be interpreted to support what he says, but at least some of his supposed 'evidence' that he doesn't bother explaining is pretty ambiguous.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

What was Jesus's teaching on the minimum wage??? Don't leave me hanging!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

For example, he cites Deuteronomy 14:22 to say the Bible is opposed to progressive income taxation.

Deuteronomy 14:22 posted:

Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.
Technically, that is a flat tax.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

I don't think so, I'm desperately trying to find it. It was horrible but it was more than just him going over bible quotes but also common beliefs. One chapter was on forgiveness and started with "Doesn't the bible talk about how important it is for us to forgive others for sinning against us. FALSE" and then it goes on about how since it's up to god to forgive we don't have to and we can be assholes. It was insane. It was honestly a primer on how to be a complete shithead and use the bible to justify it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I read it as just telling you that it's good to save instead of using everything all at once, since it's not "Give 10% to the government" but rather "Just set it aside". Some translations call it a tithe, which would be to the church, some say just to save it. Either way, government is not part of the passage at all.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

I read it as just telling you that it's good to save instead of using everything all at once, since it's not "Give 10% to the government" but rather "Just set it aside". Some translations call it a tithe, which would be to the church, some say just to save it. Either way, government is not part of the passage at all.
At least in terms of Judaic law, it is taken to mean that the tenth must be left aside so that the poor, the widows and the orphans can quietly take what they need. So if it has anything to do with taxation it would be a kind of flat tax that goes straight to welfare, definitely not a progressive tax.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
I have one rather unique friend on Facebook that is currently making posts about how everyone should not vote. He goes on about how it hurts him and by voting you're condoning violence. This is the same guy that I see post about weird anarchy stuff and various other questionable subjects.

His latest post/rant (note: that is not me replying to him):

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Got a good Facebook post from a former supervisor in the Air Force (he's from NY):

quote:

Him: Why I love social media...as Staten Island's population of 80k+ starves and devolves into chaos, NYC mayor doucheberg is pushing forward with a marathon, supported by the police, EMT personnel, food services/sponsors. Becasue we just have to present of picture of normalcy, in support of the liberal candidate. All the while a certain candidate retreated to the Peoples Republic of Boulder, Colorado. Where he has the support of 18 year olds that know nothing of the world around them. Except for the fact that they all will be taken care of, and not have to worry about anything. Where is the red cross, why was nothing staged, as it was for New Orleans? Glad you flew around with a fat guy in Jersey, and filled sandbags (post surge), but, lost my vote.

Him: But I'll still get a plane next year to support and defend the Constitution. And whomever the boss may be.

Random Poster: Wow...Lost in the astute rant...who lost your vote? Doucheberg, Obama on Mittens.... Or all of the above? ;)

Him: Obama did what any President would do, especially this close to an election. Douchberg, specifically.

Him: The unfortunate fact about absentee ballot voting for military, they're only used if the election is close.

Me: What is he supposed to to, go there and help distribute food himself? There is an organization that exists (FEMA) that is in place to help. Only so much can be done so fast, and if it's such an issue to you, you SHOULD vote for him since he wishes to expand disaster relief institutions, not replace them with private charity. Supporting a candidate that wishes to replace FEMA with private charity will only make your stated problems worse.

I may need help on this one after he responds, seeing as how I am a terrible debater. Oh, and can anyone tell me how to update FB conversations?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

quote:

But you have to have fields to pay it.

vyelkin posted:

Your modern concept of secular government is not, no.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 3, 2012

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Mitchicon posted:

Got a good Facebook post from a former supervisor in the Air Force (he's from NY):

I may need help on this one after he responds, seeing as how I am a terrible debater. Oh, and can anyone tell me how to update FB conversations?

Wasn't the marathon canceled? That's what the breaking news alert on my phone said.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Mitchicon posted:

Like myron cope said, the marathon was canceled.

The Red Cross is there and has BEEN THERE for weeks. One of my close friends from college is a Red Cross area coordinator and she's been in Delaware or Maryland for at least three weeks getting things ready to go. I'm pretty sure they had workers and supplies in Jersey before the storm him as well, but I'd need to check with her.

Basically, everything he said in the first message was wrong. Totally wrong. What does he expect Obama to do? He's one guy. He did everything in his power to make this right... said a Republican governor and mayor. It's not like Obama made this a partisan situation or acted unreasonably.

It sounds stupid in such an awful situation, but he legitimately has better things to do that actually be the guy on the ground helping out. Apply business logic here - why isn't the CEO of any retail store sitting around in the store making sales? Because he has to coordinate the machinery that makes that happen.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Driving home from work I heard an excellent interview with a retired general on NPR regarding the response to the Benghazi attack.

http://www.npr.org/2012/11/02/164207549/general-cia-responded-quickly-to-benghazi-attack

In short: no CIA personnel were ordered to stand down, and US quick reaction forces were immediately deployed from the east coast and europe but by the time they arrived at their staging area everything was already over.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Guy I work with just posted this on Facebook:

quote:

ELECTION 2012

Don't let people make you feel like a criminal if you choose to not vote. Don't let people make you feel like you have to pick what you may feel like is the lesser of two evils. If neither candidate supports your views, or if neither candidate is what you want your president to be like--DON'T VOTE. It's okay! I promise.

Dude's one of the smuggest most self-righteous people I've ever met. Tempted to reply with that DFW quote from Up, Simba.

quote:

If you are bored and disgusted by politics and don't bother to vote, you are in effect voting for the entrenched Establishments of the two major parties, who please rest assured are not dumb, and who are keenly aware that it is in their interests to keep you disgusted and bored and cynical and to give you every possible psychological reason to stay at home doing one-hitters and watching MTV on primary day. By all means stay home if you want, but don't bullshit yourself that you're not voting. In reality, there is no such thing as not voting: you either vote by voting, or you vote by staying home and tacitly doubling the value of some Diehard's vote.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

These people do realize you usually also vote for things besides the President on Election Day, right? Do Propositions, Representatives, and Senators not exist anymore?

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Guy I work with just posted this on Facebook:

Dude's one of the smuggest most self-righteous people I've ever met. Tempted to reply with that DFW quote from Up, Simba.

That's a good quote, and good point. But even if you assume both Presidential candidates suck, there are still other, very important, issues on the ballot. Often not even elections, but legislation/state constitutional amendments, things like legalizing pot or banning gay marriage or sales tax increase/decrease. Things that have a direct, specific effect on your everyday life. But hey, voting is for suckers!

Also, that Navy guy is way off. Every vote is counted, even absentee votes. It's just that if one candidate is ahead by 80,000; and there are only 50,000 absentee ballots, you can be certain who the winner is. But they still open, count and record EVERY vote.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Someone told him to vote 3rd party and he replied:

quote:

Voting independent is like trying to overthrow Rome in it's heyday with one grenade.

He's so Above It All

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Someone told him to vote 3rd party and he replied:

He's so Above It All

What state does he live in?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

He's traveling for work so he hasn't been living there for a bit, though he is moving back soon, but anyway he would have voted absentee for Ohio

Yup

Eudaimonian
Feb 14, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

I don't think so, I'm desperately trying to find it. It was horrible but it was more than just him going over bible quotes but also common beliefs. One chapter was on forgiveness and started with "Doesn't the bible talk about how important it is for us to forgive others for sinning against us. FALSE" and then it goes on about how since it's up to god to forgive we don't have to and we can be assholes. It was insane. It was honestly a primer on how to be a complete shithead and use the bible to justify it.

Was it The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible? http://www.amazon.com/Politically-Incorrect-Guide-Bible-Guides/dp/1596985208

There's a whole series of these things covering stuff like economics and global warming and they're just as terrible.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

He's traveling for work so he hasn't been living there for a bit, though he is moving back soon, but anyway he would have voted absentee for Ohio

Yup

Ignoring the fact that Ohio has a good chance of being the State that decides the Presidential election...

They also have a constitutional amendment on their ballot that will change things so that all future redistricting will be done by a 12 person, citizen group rather than elected officials, and will ban lobbying efforts to influence the process. This is something that could significantly impact future Congressional elections and make them more competitive. This alone should be reason enough to vote.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Sarion posted:

Ignoring the fact that Ohio has a good chance of being the State that decides the Presidential election...

They also have a constitutional amendment on their ballot that will change things so that all future redistricting will be done by a 12 person, citizen group rather than elected officials, and will ban lobbying efforts to influence the process. This is something that could significantly impact future Congressional elections and make them more competitive. This alone should be reason enough to vote.

Issue 2 tries to solve the problem of gerrymandering with more gerrymandering. Woo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Didn't California try a similar idea for redistricting and it really didnt work?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Didn't California try a similar idea for redistricting and it really didnt work?

Yes, but the opposite of that. It worked fine.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kavak posted:

These people do realize you usually also vote for things besides the President on Election Day, right? Do Propositions, Representatives, and Senators not exist anymore?

This is what legit pisses me off. I was always raised to be political, but with the whole 'think global work local' mindset. Yea, Obama and Romney is kinda mainly a matter of keeping the crazy dude from appointing right wing justices and at least supporting the dude who pays lip service to social issues, but there are a poo poo ton of local issues and positions you should be very passionate about.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pilkington posted:

I have one rather unique friend on Facebook that is currently making posts about how everyone should not vote. He goes on about how it hurts him and by voting you're condoning violence. This is the same guy that I see post about weird anarchy stuff and various other questionable subjects.

His latest post/rant (note: that is not me replying to him):

Once again, The Onion accidentally reports real news.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sarion posted:

I don't understand. 12 non-elected people? They must be intimately familiar with the election process to be able to do the redistricting. It seems like you'd be putting in 12 lobbyists/campaign staffers and then saying "Okay! Now no one try to influence them!"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's a requirement of the law issue 2 that neither those on the committee nor their immediate family have lobbied for at least ten years.

E: wrong word

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
While I'm glad they didn't just say "Aren't currently lobbyists" it's still kinda easy to get around that, since so many lobbying firms are technically classified as Super PACs and other non-lobbying things.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

You can read the ballot language here: http://votersfirstohio.com/ballot-language/

It has a big summary of the changes, including things like making sure districts are not split by population or voting history too much. For example, the population of each district has to be within 98% and 102% of the population to Congressional seat ratio; and no district can be split such that the vote count was more than 5% apart in the last election.

Of course, it will likely be impossible to actually create a map that matches all these requirements. For example, if one district only had a single congressman running unopposed, that fucks up the voting rule. But the commission has to do their best to come up with several plans that come close to meeting the requirements and then the Supreme Court selects the best one, if the commission fails to pick one.

Anyways, the section on who can serve on the commission says this:

quote:

Provide that certain persons will be ineligible to serve as Commission members as follows: a) a person who or whose immediate family member as defined in the amendment, within 10 years preceding the date of application, served as a federal or state elected official, was a paid employee of the Ohio legislature, the U. S. Congress, or the office of a federal or state elected official, was the director of a state department or agency, or was a paid lobbyist as defined under federal or state law; b) a person who, within 5 years preceding the date of application, was a candidate for federal or state office; was a paid employee or paid consultant of a campaign for a political candidate or or political committee as defined by federal or state law; was an official or paid employee of any political party organization; or made monetary contributions to political campaigns or political parties that exceed a total of $5,000 during a 2 year period, which amount shall be adjusted consistent with the consumer price index in future years; and c) any person who has not voted in at least 2 of the previous 3 general elections conducted in even numbered years.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Eudaimonian posted:

Was it The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible? http://www.amazon.com/Politically-Incorrect-Guide-Bible-Guides/dp/1596985208

There's a whole series of these things covering stuff like economics and global warming and they're just as terrible.
Those books should drop the "Politically" from their titles for some Truth in Advertising action.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Latest FB about Benghazi.

This thing is feeding on itself.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm pretty sure I just saw report somewhere (source amnesia on this one) that the Pentagon actually had two reaction forces moving on Benghazi but they still hadn't arrived by the time everything was over. Something about a Delta Force crew being flown out to a base in Sicily. You know, like an actual report with actual facts. Can't remember where it was but it wasn't an image macro on facebook.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm pretty sure I just saw report somewhere (source amnesia on this one) that the Pentagon actually had two reaction forces moving on Benghazi but they still hadn't arrived by the time everything was over. Something about a Delta Force crew being flown out to a base in Sicily. You know, like an actual report with actual facts. Can't remember where it was but it wasn't an image macro on facebook.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...276a_story.html

There really isn't a response I can give to the image that will satisfy the people posting it, they've already made up their minds. I want to ask them what world they live in where no one dies in a fire fight, but I don't think it would be productive.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

nm: Benghazi upsets me.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

Do you think ghosts get embarrassed about poo poo like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

Yeah it was just those two guys. Oh and also a bunch of other guys were sent to help.

quote:

A six-person, quick-reaction security team arrives from their compound across town. About 60 Libyan militiamen accompany them. They attempt to secure a perimeter around Stevens' building and take turns going inside. Taking fire, Libyan forces determine they can't hold the perimeter. A decision is made to evacuate the compound and return with everyone to the reaction force's compound.

[later]

In the night, a team of reinforcements from the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli arrives on a chartered aircraft at the Benghazi airport and reaches the security compound.

Fiction is fun sometimes I guess.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/timeline-events-comments-surrounding-benghazi-205408923--election.html