Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I have still never beaten FFIX. I got it when it first came out, made it to somewhere in disc 3 I think (I remember stone slab things that constantly petrified my dudes) and never finished. Now I've been playing it on my PSP for several years, never been able to commit to it. I'm in Treno right before the final match of the Tetra Master tournament. I wish I could just sit down and finish it.

I dunno what it is about the game. I like the characters, I like the art style, I like the ability system and the combat, I like the story, I even like Kuja which I guess puts me in the minority. Still can't finish it.

Maybe one of these days.

Are you playing IZJS or the normal version? IZJS has turbo. Just sayin.

I hated the license board in normal FFXII because you can get like all the attack/magic/hp upgrades for everyone fairly early on and then all there is left to get is gear and spells as you get them. The license board in IZJS is pretty cool though, and I like the jobs. Ashe as samurai is THE BEST. Also, turbo.

Liking Kuja is a minority opinion? News to me, Kuja's the best FF villain out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Admittedly, I doubt personally that any of this apart from "Squall is a hosed-up loner" ever went through the heads of the designers, because it's an unusually bleak tale as compared to the rest of the series. Maybe they were just too busy trying to achieve the right level of pandering with the Squall/Rinoa relationship to think about what the overall course of events implied. Or, again, stupid story from a Final Fantasy game, stop the presses.

The real damning thing in my mind, is even in the promo fanservice/nostalgia laden Square stuff like Dissidia, you never ever see Rinoa pop up in *anything*. I get that in FF9 Garnet isn't half as flashy as the guys, but I think people just quietly forgot Rinoa ever existed. That more than anything tells me people ultimately didnt give a gently caress about her.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Liking Kuja is a minority opinion? News to me, Kuja's the best FF villain out there.

It depends, do you like Kuja, or like Kuja :swoon:

(He's a pretty hot girl ok)

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

The only reason Cloud continues to be the whiny emo gently caress he never was is the same reason otome games exist.

TBH overly cheerful main hot dude with fractured pasts is just as popular. But its still the fault of marketing.

It's apparent origin is Dirge of Cerebus was being developed and it had an overly 'mature' plot (whatever that means) and someone on the team said the tone wouldn't fit Cloud (which is true. Cloud's worse emotional states are "Vegetable" "Neurotic Violent Freakout""Apathetic But Smug rear end in a top hat"; he has never been "broody") so they used Vincent (a mopey character who works fine in FF7 semi-goofy universe because he's an optional side character.) It ended up being a lovely game, but there were arguably good reasons for this choice.

Apparently it did okay and when they wanted to do the AC stuff, since the personality type Vincent had got such high praise but they knew he couldn't be the lead, a lot of that is was weakly cobbled onto Cloud. This is why when you see one big scene with him and Vincent together its hard to tell who's who.

Then Square imported that depiction into other poo poo, so it was less "hey remember that thing that got weirdly adapted into an anime thing lol" to "oh this is apparently canon or something now?"

It also hurts that an EPIC RIVALRY thing has been pretty much wholly invented with him; mainly because in the sidegames Aeris isnt actually dead most of the time. A rivalry depends on both people caring. Cloud wants to stop Sephiroth because he's going to BLOW UP THE WORLD and is resentful at being treated like a puppet and all the poo poo he's done, Seph himself could give two shits about him and is very impersonal about everything in the long run. This is not a rivalry. Tidus's deal with his own DAD is more of a rivalry. Even Yuna's own Team Rocket in X-2 qualifies better, even if its one sided and mostly comedic.

But since the EU doesn't really give a poo poo about the side characters, you have to refocus the story back on Cloud, so now Seph is suddenly very personal about causing this guy suffering, including the quiet retcon that Sephiroth killed Aeris and not the weird Jenova-bits-posing-as-Seph we see thru half the game. That was never about setting up some grand revenge. It was to make you hate Jenova/Sephiroth and hammer it home that Cloud isn't in control of his poo poo and is terrified about it.

But rival things presented unironically in JRPGs thend to be burning-shounen-blood contrivances that's really sells to teenage boys. (This is the one great thing FF8 did. Squall may be terse and emo but he does not ultimately give a gently caress about this grand "rivalry" everyone assumes he has with Seifer - a mature stance - which is why that clown is never in other FF games) Maybe I'm just getting to old for that kind of thing, but it's why kind-of-bland characters like Lightning feel interesting because being a woman seems to force writers to snap out of certain cliches (ie, Lightning hits a lot of beats but isnt bogged down by see-a-mile-away macho posing poo poo, she's mopey in very general ways at worst). When your main character is a woman, or an older guy, or a dog or whatever, it mixes poo poo up and is a nice jumping point to at least attempt some originally and not just suck off your audience's expectation. Giving a teenage character to the average JRPG writer is like giving a hungry clown a custard pie. He might ultimately want to enjoy it, but he only knows one thing to do with it.

keet fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 3, 2012

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The most accurate portrayal of Cloud since the original game is in LittleBigPlanet 2.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I think Cloud's EU personality started earlier than DOC, right in a little game called, Kingdom Hearts.

He's brooding, and mopes and is generally kinda sullen because he can't find someone. Before the Final Mix versions came out, it was assumed he was looking for Aeris (who is alive in that universe). Nope.

He just wants to fight Sephiroth. Again.

Then KH2 (which came after Advent Children), was basically that Sephiroth was some kind of lingering darkness that Cloud had or something, and that he'll basically appear whenever.
And Dissidia carried that on, only now with like:

:black101:"Hey Cloud, do you want to fight again?"
:geno:"No, I need to go brood some more"
:black101:"Okay. I'll wait, and remember you're just a puppet blah blah, see you at six"
:geno:"Yeah, yeah. See you at six"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And it was implied that Tifa was some sort of not-heartless or something (Like a persona to Sepheroth's Shadow), I dunno :psyduck:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In KH1 it was almost certainly Aerith he was looking for, given the little scene they had in the ending sequence of the game. I guess they retconned it later after they got the memo that Cloud/Tifa was the official pairing. Or something.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pureauthor posted:

In KH1 it was almost certainly Aerith he was looking for, given the little scene they had in the ending sequence of the game. I guess they retconned it later after they got the memo that Cloud/Tifa was the official pairing. Or something.

For the regular versions, the general assumption from forums and things of the time, was that it was Aeris he was looking for - after all, he's invovled with Hades, and such. And says he's looking for someone, and people thought it was Aeris because she's in the game. In Final Mix however, (think of it as a Japan only extended edition), it turns out he was just looking for Sephiroth and fights him. :sissies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k3I3Gj2j9M

Thing is though, considering that's the first time they fought outside of FFVII, it wasn't so bad. It was pretty cool at the time. The downside is that SE just kept/keeps making them do the same thing over and over, and it's lost any significance.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 3, 2012

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

For the regular versions, the general assumption from forums and things of the time, was that it was Aeris he was looking for - after all, he's involved with Hades, and such. And says he's looking for someone, and people thought it was Aeris because she's in the game. In Final Mix however, (think of it as a Japan only extended edition), it turns out he was just looking for Sephiroth and fights him. :sissies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k3I3Gj2j9M

Thing is though, considering that's the first time they fought outside of FFVII, it wasn't so bad. It was pretty cool at the time. The downside is that SE just kept/keeps making them do the same thing over and over, and it's lost any significance.

The other puzzling thing is if KH went with the idea Seph is Cloud's heartless or something... that'd be weird but in-line with the idea that KH's Squaresoft crew aren't/can't be direct copies of their original versions (see several being kids, Yuna's friend as fairies). But no, they try to connecting Sephiroth in that regard back to Zack and it's really transparent because Squaresoft released a game with Zack in it around that time.

I think it contributed to the perception the Nomuraism Squareenix (tho he hasn't been in control for a while) is mainly obsessed with its gloomy prettyboys to the exception of the other kinds of characters, when that didn't bug people so much before because it was well balanced. It's why I'm already hesitant to like Sephiroth outside his well-placed use in his original game, because everytime he appears elsewhere it feels like a real transparent marketing thing instead of some game maker being fond of the character.

keet fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 3, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think Cloud's EU personality started earlier than DOC, right in a little game called, Kingdom Hearts.

He's brooding, and mopes and is generally kinda sullen because he can't find someone.

I thought he was broody because he looked like an amalgam between him and Vincent. :saddowns:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Kingdom Hearts Cloud obviously thinks that he is Vincent instead of Zack.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So quick question for someone wanting to try out the IZJS version of XII out. The only way I have to play PS2 games is one my PS3 (I got the backwards compatible model that came with MGS4). Does the PS3 have regional compatibility issues with PS2 games?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Are you playing IZJS or the normal version? IZJS has turbo. Just sayin.

Normal. I only have the original PS2 version and don't have the patience to track down :filez: for the IZJS version. That said, the license thing doesn't bother me too badly, because more often than not so far I've had more LP than I know what to do with.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So quick question for someone wanting to try out the IZJS version of XII out. The only way I have to play PS2 games is one my PS3 (I got the backwards compatible model that came with MGS4). Does the PS3 have regional compatibility issues with PS2 games?

You won't be able to play the English patch, if that's an issue for you. The preferred ways to play IZJS is to patch your IZJS with an image you made of your DVD and then playing it on a PS2 with HDLoader or using an emulator. PS2 emulation is near perfect and should run well as long as your computer isn't mega old.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Another issue [that is admittedly only tangentially related but nonetheless important] is that the lifespan of those MGS4 backwards-compatible consoles, assuming regular use, is very loving short. Do yourself a favor and back up your PS2 game saves onto actual PS2 memory cards at regular intervals, because when that fucker dies, it usually takes all its data with it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Knight is a piece of poo poo. Grab a Summoner, Sage, Black Wizard, Onion Knight if you at all possibly can, anything but a Knight. My party was Onion/Sage/Summoner/Ninja; FF3DS is a lovely game about lovely damage races, and Knight ain't gonna help you win any of those. He can't even heal worth a drat. His equipment options say "tank," but you can't really tank that fight short of having 9999 HP; even with a full Onion set, Cloud of Darkness was doing 2k+ damage to me every round.

Knight is just a busta no matter how you look at it.

Knight's more useful than the vast majority of jobs out there - his damage isn't stellar, but he can actually take hits and swords are one of the better equipment options out there. The problem with him is that he phases out of usefulness when enemies start using party-wide attacks at the end game. Viking also supercedes him as a tank once you get enough job levels.

Really, Knight is better than at least one-fifth of the jobs out there. Magus, who just flat out loses to Summoner in almost any situation except bosses where he can use Flare (and even then, is held back by MP), and has terrible defenses? Sage, who is just worse than Devout in terms of healing (unless you're gambling on Heatra), can't deal damage worth anything, and is the slowest class in the game? Evoker? Scholar?

And why were you getting hit for 2k? At Cloud of Darkness you should be around levels 40-50, and you'd only be getting hit for the lower 2k range max unless you're running a team of terrible Spirit classes. And Onion Knight has terrible stats before 90, don't use it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ApplesandOranges posted:

And why were you getting hit for 2k? At Cloud of Darkness you should be around levels 40-50, and you'd only be getting hit for the lower 2k range max unless you're running a team of terrible Spirit classes. And Onion Knight has terrible stats before 90, don't use it.

Probably because Cloud of Darkness has a bunch of heavy-hitting attacks where your defenses are largely negligible and hits, what, three? Four times a round? Point stands, though: all Knight's defense isn't gonna save you from those attacks, and the only real way to circumvent it is with high HP, which you only get from levels. poo poo is a straight damage race.

And why would you put summons on a Sage? Don't purposefully frame these suggestions as crappy, Sage is a Black Wizard who can heal in a pinch, no one in their right mind would ever put summons on one. Since it's a damage race, you really should only ever need 1, MAYBE 2 ninth level MP anyway.

Onion Knight does suck before 90, but I was 99, so. Good thing I had max HP.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 4, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I missed two live triggers in FF13-2, can I redo the chapter somehow? ughhhhhhh

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yes you can but don't bother, it's pointless.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yes you can but don't bother, it's pointless.

Unless you're fighting Ultros. :downs:

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
There are unique monster accessories for doing live triggers perfectly... I went back for some of them...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Final Fantasy Tactics version available in Playstation Network is the original one with the hilarious "translation", right?

There are just so many Final Fantasy games available in PSN which beg for my attention and my money. :sigh:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I missed two live triggers in FF13-2, can I redo the chapter somehow? ughhhhhhh

You'll get the ability to redo chapters, and it's worth it.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Azran posted:

The Final Fantasy Tactics version available in Playstation Network is the original one with the hilarious "translation", right?

There are just so many Final Fantasy games available in PSN which beg for my attention and my money. :sigh:

Both the original PSone version and the re-worked PSP versions are on PSN. There is really no reason to get the PSone version if you have a PSP or a Vita.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

LoudLoudNoise posted:

Both the original PSone version and the re-worked PSP versions are on PSN. There is really no reason to get the PSone version if you have a PSP or a Vita.

Unless the PSOne version retains its FPS during any in-combat action, in which case there is a very good reason and that reason is War of the Lions is loving insufferable with that slowdown and I would gladly take an awful translation over it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The PSX version has the best translations. The WotL version just sounds like someone trying too hard in their drama classes. Plus nothing in WotL is better than "blame yourself, or God.":colbert:

The slowdown is pretty horrible though. I have no doubt it's added hours to my run through on my iPod but the PSP/Vita version had a fix didn't it?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
PSX version also has spell/skill quotes. "Heaven's wish to destroy all minds...Holy Explosion!"

I have no idea of why they'd take those out.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

PSX version also has spell/skill quotes. "Heaven's wish to destroy all minds...Holy Explosion!"

I have no idea of why they'd take those out.

Time constraints, maybe? The original PSX version had already stripped out generic units quotes (from pressing Select on their name in the formation screen), the airship novel minigame, and sound test.

Is there a patch to restore those things in the PSP version? I imagine that the code would still be there, so it should be an easy fix...

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Shaezerus posted:

Unless the PSOne version retains its FPS during any in-combat action, in which case there is a very good reason and that reason is War of the Lions is loving insufferable with that slowdown and I would gladly take an awful translation over it.

There's a patch for the slowdown

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

nene. posted:

There's a patch for the slowdown

Granted, that only works on a PSP with CFW.

vvv :golfclap:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 5, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Granted, that only works on a PSP with CFW.

If you don't have one and you're trying to play WOTL you can...

Blame yourself or God. :smugdog:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

You'll get the ability to redo chapters, and it's worth it.

I don't have to redo sidequests too do I? That would stink.

Also who the gently caress chose the music in this game? FF13 was really good in the music department but this is really bad.

at least it looks even better and runs at 1080p now

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

GreenBuckanneer posted:

at least it looks even better and runs at 1080p now

No it doesn't according to the back of my box. Also my own eyes.

edit: no wait, it actually does say 1080p... but I can't get it to run at that resolution, unlike vanilla FFXIII. Oh well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My tv reports 1080p from the game right now, so v:shobon:v

Also how the gently caress is Noel such a strong character when they hosed up everyone else.

I guess it's just another case of Sazh.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Oh god I love FF IV Advance random battle music. Shame I will end up hating it due to the random encounter frequency. :sigh:

Even though the game likes to give me a lot of squishy characters early on, I gotta admit I like this "party determined by story progress" thing.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Azran posted:

Oh god I love FF IV Advance random battle music. Shame I will end up hating it due to the random encounter frequency. :sigh:

Even though the game likes to give me a lot of squishy characters early on, I gotta admit I like this "party determined by story progress" thing.

Plus you get Cecil for the entire game, and his damage never stops being relevant. In fact, Dark as an ability kind of blows and having Cover/Light Magic owns. The Row system works well for this. Only have 1 bruiser? stick him in the front with the 2 formation and have your 3 casters/that pathetic bard in the back.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

NTT posted:

Plus you get Cecil for the entire game, and his damage never stops being relevant. In fact, Dark as an ability kind of blows and having Cover/Light Magic owns. The Row system works well for this. Only have 1 bruiser? stick him in the front with the 2 formation and have your 3 casters/that pathetic bard in the back.

Wait, Cover is useful? :downs:

Yeah, when it's not a party of 3 casters and my tank, it's the bard. :argh: Anyway, it seems I got lost in the sewers of Cecil's city - Banon, I think it is.

Dunno, I mostly play JRPGs for the combat system rather than the story. :v:

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
I know I'm literally 4 years late here but Dissidia is amazing! I bought it when it came out and never touched it until now (I kinda forgot I had it).
Sure the story is stupid (~WILD ROSES~) but playing as my favourite characters gives me happy feelings in my underpants. Once you get the hang of it the combat is super smooth. I hate fighting games normally too.

Definitely going to pick up Dissidia 012 after I finish it, assuming there's actually a decent amount of new content in there - is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Azran posted:

Wait, Cover is useful? :downs:

Yeah, when it's not a party of 3 casters and my tank, it's the bard. :argh: Anyway, it seems I got lost in the sewers of Cecil's city - Banon, I think it is.

Dunno, I mostly play JRPGs for the combat system rather than the story. :v:

Baron. Just wait until you get to the castle! As if you thought the game was being nice for letting you have so many mages. :smug: