Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Oh my god I can't even handle what is huh

p.s Vriska still rules, nerds

edit: Homestuck just had its own homestuck convention. Super meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
More Zahhak silliness and a horse-bodied Rufioh. Oh my god this is incredible. :D

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

John having the ring when he woke up is very significant, isn't it? It shows that dead, dream stuff can exist in the live, waking world.

Didn't somebody talk about a ghost breakout at some point in the past?

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

The new flash owns, so many great lines. Though, is it clear what the ring is yet?...

IDIOT BITCHES

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Killing John was practically the first thing that happened, heh. Also that was super amazing, and Killed by BR8K Spider!!!!!!!! was perfect

edit: some of the people who show up to the ghost party are amazing. there's female eridan, and tavros wearing that dress vriska had kanaya made...

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 3, 2012

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Cabbit posted:

John having the ring when he woke up is very significant, isn't it? It shows that dead, dream stuff can exist in the live, waking world.

It also finally fulfills a Skaian Prophecy

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Man, I've missed Vriska a whole bunch.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cabbit posted:

I want to say the dreambubble breakout was a fairly popular theory, but I don't know if it was. I just know that I still fully expect that to be a thing that happens.

EDIT: Anyone read Japanese well enough to tell us what Damara said? I don't think there's a place to get this in text form (to filter through Google Translate again.)

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 3, 2012

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
Nepeta!!! If only for a moment, you returned :(

I guess that means there's still some Nepetas and Equiuses kickin' around despite that one bubble blowing up

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Cabbit posted:

It most certainly is not dead dream stuff though. Where do you think that ring came from?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Hm...There's a Troll in the back on the A1 side with a top hat...Didn't one of the Fan Trolls have a top hat? Might just have been Rufioh in a costume from the look of the horns, though.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Oh my god Nepeta and Meulin reacting to each other. It's everything I hoped it would be. :allears:

Edit: I guess the fact that Caliborn is reading about these events means all these plans are already doomed to failure, huh?

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 3, 2012

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Does anyone else have trouble with only half of some of the lines coming up...?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

MrBims posted:

It most certainly is not dead dream stuff though. Where do you think that ring came from?

I think you're implying it's a Queen's Ring, which is possible, but seems a.) improbable and b.) secondary to the notion that something was transported from a dream bubble to the living world, fourth-wall-traversing universal shenanigans. I think it's much more likely that the important implication here is to be that it's possible to take stuff out of dream bubbles and back to the waking world.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Oh man dreambubble trollcon '12 was excellent and just kept getting cooler by orders of magnitude. I'd love to check out those sprites in more detail, anyone know of an easy way to pull them out of the flash file?

The most interesting plot development of the update was by far the return of calliope however. The mystery of where she's hiding and what happened to her is bugging me almost as much as The Mystery Of The Denizens

She appears to have taken some kind of omnipresent form... maybe the idea that she and paradox space are the same thing actually has some ground?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It's interesting that this stuff was apparently at least partially known to Calliope. Does word of it show up in Rose's book, or are there additional sources, I wonder? It may also bear pointing out that putting her awesome fan-fiction self-insert trollsona in the middle of that (especially the part where she wakes up John) kind of has something in common with Vriska's decision to make herself responsible for a whole bunch of stuff in the B1 session... except, of course, that in this case John woke up for a perfectly consistent internal reason, no intervention required. (And her text suggests that her double-fictional intervention has no effect on Vriska and Meenah either.)

I wonder what the flipped-daedric troll lingo in the ~ATH book says. It's obviously this same page, but I don't think we got to see more than that before... I'm too lazy to decode it myself, so I guess I'll wait for someone slightly more obsessive to do it.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 3, 2012

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Rooreelooo posted:

She appears to have taken some kind of omnipresent form... maybe the idea that she and paradox space are the same thing actually has some ground?

I think the idea is that Caliborn is reading her self-insert fanfiction.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Oh my god that was amazing. It just... god drat that was great.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Rooreelooo posted:

Oh man dreambubble trollcon '12 was excellent and just kept getting cooler by orders of magnitude. I'd love to check out those sprites in more detail, anyone know of an easy way to pull them out of the flash file?

The most interesting plot development of the update was by far the return of calliope however. The mystery of where she's hiding and what happened to her is bugging me almost as much as The Mystery Of The Denizens

I think that was just her inserting her trollsona into the story via fanfiction.

Also GASP THE RING REALLY WAS MAGIC

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Best part of the whole update was Equius in a maid outfit.

Also, was anyone else expecting as more and more ghosts arrived, that Lord English would be attracted and vaporize them all?

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Arthur Crackpot posted:

I think that was just her inserting her trollsona into the story via fanfiction.

Oh yeah that makes a hell of a lot more sense

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Really the best part of all this wasn't even what was really going on, it's everything in the background.

S9ME9NE IS TRIGGERING ME. THIS NEEDS TO 6E TAGGED.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
It's like a loving Where's Waldo book, except Waldo is everywhere.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

That flash was great, so many good bits. One of my favourites was Cronus hitting on Eridan.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I can't even fully appreciate all of the greatness that flash entailed, I need to go back and re-read it a few times and get my old Where's Waldo(Where's Wally for those across the pond) skills back in order.

Cabbit posted:

I think you're implying it's a Queen's Ring, which is possible, but seems a.) improbable and b.) secondary to the notion that something was transported from a dream bubble to the living world, fourth-wall-traversing universal shenanigans. I think it's much more likely that the important implication here is to be that it's possible to take stuff out of dream bubbles and back to the waking world.

"Improbable" isn't much of a barrier to things happening in the comic, when it comes to items we see ending up in strange places later. The bunny and Cal are evidence enough of that, for certain.

The importance of John keeping the ring may mean that it's an item to see important usage later on, potentially.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Lord Justice posted:

Hm...There's a Troll in the back on the A1 side with a top hat...Didn't one of the Fan Trolls have a top hat? Might just have been Rufioh in a costume from the look of the horns, though.

You mean this?

It's just Rufioh and Damara cosplaying as Tuxedo Mask and Sailor Moon.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

That flash was great, so many good bits. One of my favourites was Cronus hitting on Eridan.

That was pretty great. Pretty hilarious jab at the fandom-interpretation of Eridan. :v:

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Isn't that kind of heavy ghost density exactly the thing that might make Lord English show up? The dead trolls could stand some culling anyway (that was such a glorious clusterfuck :allears:, I saw March Eridan, fairy Tavros and maid Equius, were there any other Easter eggs?)

Calliope's hobby is pretty sad. We knew she wrote Homestuck fanfic, but that she inserted herself as Callie in the story is new, right?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

WAR FOOT posted:

Also, was anyone else expecting as more and more ghosts arrived, that Lord English would be attracted and vaporize them all?

That's PRECISELY what I thought was going to happen. It would have just been too perfect/awful if it happened.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Cabbit posted:

I don't see any particular reason to disbelieve that something real can be taken into a dreambubble and then be taken back into the real world through a dreamer - there isn't any evidence against that. After everything we have seen, the only questions should be why, and for what purpose.

Consider the second Meenah flash: Kurloz giving Gamzee the codpiece. They were not simply recalling the memory of the codpiece exchange, it was the physical exchange of a real item Meulin had found, giving it to Kurloz then Gamzee, at this point in time, so that he would have it in the real world. The only difference here is that John is a dreamer interacting with the dreambubble instead of physically existing inside it the way the living trolls are, but we can easily chalk this up to Godtier powers without any harm done.

Cabbit posted:

Not improbable in the "Wow, what are the odds!" way, improbable in the "I don't think that's going to be correct" way. "JOHN HAS THE ALPHA WHITE QUEEN'S RING! :O" seems too obvious of a plot point, considering there are only four carapaces of any significance left and three already have magic rings.

Well, it has been more than once that I've noted that something was an 'obvious' plot point only to be made fun of, then it turns out right because whoops, turns out Homestuck is a fictional story constricted by both its own themes and certain guidelines of dramatic writing.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 3, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Midnight Raider posted:

"Improbable" isn't much of a barrier to things happening in the comic, when it comes to items we see ending up in strange places later. The bunny and Cal are evidence enough of that, for certain.

The importance of John keeping the ring may mean that it's an item to see important usage later on, potentially.

Not improbable in the "Wow, what are the odds!" way, improbable in the "I don't think that's going to be correct" way. "JOHN HAS THE ALPHA WHITE QUEEN'S RING! :O" seems too obvious of a plot point, considering there are only four carapaces of any significance left and three already have magic rings.

MrBims posted:

I don't see any particular reason to disbelieve that something real can be taken into a dreambubble and then be taken back into the real world through a dreamer - there isn't any evidence against that. After everything we have seen, the only questions should be why, and for what purpose.

Consider the second Meenah flash: Kurloz giving Gamzee the codpiece. They were not simply recalling the memory of the codpiece exchange, it was the physical exchange of a real item Meulin had found, giving it to Kurloz then Gamzee, at this point in time, so that he would have it in the real world. The only difference here is that John is a dreamer interacting with the dreambubble instead of physically existing inside it the way the living trolls are, but we can easily chalk this up to Godtier powers without any harm done.

Chalking it up to "Godtier!" seems really presumptive. Dream projections vanish and leave stuff behind-- that's the only thing we've seen them do. Tavros made a point of pointing it out. That this didn't prove to be the case seems like An Important Thing in and of itself, not something to be brushed aside in lieu of the ring. Physically carrying something out of a dream bubble, while actually in the furthest ring itself, seems vastly different to essentially teleporting it out from God knows where via a dream projection.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 3, 2012

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn
For a second I was worried Lord English would show up and blast all the trollghosts into oblivion.

So, did Calliope really show up at the end there instead, or is that just her fanficton?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Suaimhneas posted:

Edit: I guess the fact that Caliborn is reading about these events means all these plans are already doomed to failure, huh?

I don't think so. Calliope knew remarkably little about Lord English in the first place due to Gamzee's efforts in blotting out all information about him (and about himself, too), which actually looks quite a bit less sinister when considered in the context of Caliborn having access to all these writings now. So she probably wouldn't have known too much about the circumstances of the fight... but getting more clarity on that will probably have to wait until we know a little more about where the cherubs came from, or something.

Silva posted:

So, did Calliope really show up at the end there instead, or is that just her fanficton?

It looks like it was no more than fanfic, given that the next page was her waking up John, who we know woke up for different reasons.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm not sure how much of what just happened is real. I think it's clear that Calliope was transcribing the actual events of these dreams while including her self-insert character being responsible for many things that happened, and I can't imagine that not being significant. Neither she nor Caliborn knew at that time that Lord English was Caliborn, though I think it's safe to say that Caliborn himself figured it out after he became Lord English, so the question is whether he remembers the details of the fan fiction he defaced.

What is that ring, anyway? All we know is that Hussie had it after he died.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
yeah, if you think about it the codpiece being given to gamzee foreshadowed the ring staying with john pretty clearly, even if the mechanics are still unknown

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

March Calendar Eridan's been spotted. :haw:

As well as what appears to be a lot of Kurlozes hanging around the back of Vriska's side. :ohdear:

Lastair
Dec 31, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

EDIT: Anyone read Japanese well enough to tell us what Damara said? I don't think there's a place to get this in text form (to filter through Google Translate again.)

Damara's lines:
これは何?ハロウィーンの乱交? - What is this? A Halloween orgy?
誰かが私に触れている。続けてください。 - Someone's touching me. Please continue.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

CuddlyZombie posted:

As well as what appears to be a lot of Kurlozes hanging around the back of Vriska's side. :ohdear:

The presence of even one Kurloz is really more worrying than Caliborn reading a narrative Calliope pieced together from fragmentary accounts, I feel. Then again, it's not clear whether anyone on Team Big Cal actually has any sort of direct line to the guy.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Wait a sec.

Okay, so at first I thought the Calliope fanfic thing was just a clever way to segue back to John, but now that people are talking about it, it's got me thinking.

Calliope's class/aspect is Muse of Space. So what if this is actually one of her powers? Maybe her penchant for self-inserting herself into the story is actually capable of passively affecting events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

WAR FOOT posted:

Best part of the whole update was Equius in a maid outfit.

My first response was "Oh god the ghost pile doesn't stop from getting bigger." My second response was "Oh no."

Fortunately, Best Trolls(tm) Meenah and Vriska are still alive, so my fears are assuaged, for the time.

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Wait a sec.

Okay, so at first I thought the Calliope fanfic thing was just a clever way to segue back to John, but now that people are talking about it, it's got me thinking.

Calliope's class/aspect is Muse of Space. So what if this is actually one of her powers? Maybe her penchant for self-inserting herself into the story is actually capable of passively affecting events.

She observes events happening, then writes her self-insert fic to make herself responsible for these events in some way, and cyclically it turns out that she was responsible for the original event she witnessed? Sounds literally and figuratively loopy enough for Homestuck.

On a slightly divergent topic, holy poo poo, it's almost time to go back to the Alpha kids! I'm partially wondering if we're going to have the first page of returning to them on the 11th, just for the sake of dates.