Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Nice Leggy Jamal, this might be up your alley, this began life as a US Spec Subaru Legacy Automatic, now is basically a 2002 STi Type RA Spec C wearing a Legacy suit, he went NUTS on it, it was a bitch to swap and took him 12 months to finally drive it, I rode with him and it hits like an ANVIL after 2800 RPMs, the car has an Apexi PowerFC (sadly no good tunners here) and he bought roughly 15,000 dollars worth of Cosworth, Blouch, Apexi and HKS parts to move into the 10's, never happened, he sold the parts and now is selling the car for about US$7,500 stock.

Learned the hard way....

mulligan fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I just want to say your user name and that post work for me ^^^

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I can't unsee it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Alternatively,

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My first thought, I'd still drive that though

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Before I bought my 2006 Impreza wagon, the previous owner had the control arm recall performed in April 2012. They punched both arms and they were fine.

I inquired about them becoming a future problem since my car is newer than some of the other vehicles in the recall.

I was told, that since they weren't rusty at the time of recall, I am permanently ineligible for the recall in the future. This true?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sockington posted:

Before I bought my 2006 Impreza wagon, the previous owner had the control arm recall performed in April 2012. They punched both arms and they were fine.

I inquired about them becoming a future problem since my car is newer than some of the other vehicles in the recall.

I was told, that since they weren't rusty at the time of recall, I am permanently ineligible for the recall in the future. This true?

They fixed the issue. Why would they be a problem?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The fix is to replace the steel control arms if they are rusted out.

Mine haven't rusted out yet, just passed inspection at the time. I just asked if they would covered further down the line.

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

Sockington posted:

The fix is to replace the steel control arms if they are rusted out.

Mine haven't rusted out yet, just passed inspection at the time. I just asked if they would covered further down the line.

They should've coated them while they were doing the inspection.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
My attempt at a bug eye pumpkin.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I thought you were the one always championing precision machining.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

kimbo305 posted:

I thought you were the one always championing precision machining.

Pumpkin really gums up the CNC machine.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
It was an endmill on a dremel. Not quite my forte.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I think that head gasket might be blown...

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

chrisgt posted:

I think that head gasket might be blown...

Don't they usually show signs of leaking (like Oil everywhere) which I don't see here.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

daslog posted:

Don't they usually show signs of leaking (like Oil everywhere) which I don't see here.

It's a weirdly failed gasket. It didn't have any leaks on the top at all (which isn't all that unusual). And only barely smelled like coolant from the bottom. Just early signs.
I drove it 85 miles home, and it didn't blow coolant out into the overflow and not suck it back in. It was working fairly well.
Also, had a fairly new water pump and tensioner. Looks like someone had the pump replaced thinking it was that. The driver's side cam was retarded one tooth, like the mechanic who installed it. And that explains the weird stumble.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Just how noisy is the EJ25? A friend of mine is selling an impreza, 2004 2.5ts, but upon driving it I've found it has a tick that's audible from inside the car at idle, and it doesn't go away once it's hot Since it goes away I think that mostly rules out piston slap, so that leaves either valvetrain noise or a knock? It also has a sporadic transmission or front/center diff whine under acceleration. My friend has told me that all of this has happened since they got it (2010) and the PO mentioned the whine as being almost normal, but it seems loud to be normal. I've looked around online and mostly at NASIOC I'm getting everything from center diff bearings, to transmission on its last legs, needs a fluid a change, or that it's actually totally normal. Does this sound out of the realm of the ordinary?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

stevobob posted:

Just how noisy is the EJ25? A friend of mine is selling an impreza, 2004 2.5ts, but upon driving it I've found it has a tick that's audible from inside the car at idle, and it doesn't go away once it's hot Since it goes away I think that mostly rules out piston slap, so that leaves either valvetrain noise or a knock? It also has a sporadic transmission or front/center diff whine under acceleration. My friend has told me that all of this has happened since they got it (2010) and the PO mentioned the whine as being almost normal, but it seems loud to be normal. I've looked around online and mostly at NASIOC I'm getting everything from center diff bearings, to transmission on its last legs, needs a fluid a change, or that it's actually totally normal. Does this sound out of the realm of the ordinary?

My 2.5 with over 100k miles has a tick in cold mornings but it goes away, no real audible tick when warm. Could be valvetrain.

Also if I have the stereo off and no one's talking, it sounds like I have straight cut gears when accelerating 1-4th. Pretty whiney.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Try some group-n mounts and report back. My wife insist my 2.5i sounds like a motorboat :3:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

Try some group-n mounts and report back. My wife insist my 2.5i sounds like a motorboat :3:

I drove my RS to work. No stereo. No sound deadening. No interior. Group N everything. Hardened Poly bushings everywhere. Cracked exhaust.

I'm sure your car is like a refined bmw compared to mine :colbert:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm sure your car is like a refined bmw compared to mine :colbert:

Some of us have kids not cats.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

:iceburn:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Not even. If I didn't have the kids to haul around, everything would be a stripped down race car. My former daily driver only had two things driven off the crank; waterpump and alternator. :smugbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sockington posted:

Cats ARE my kids!

Whats the male version of crazy cat lady? That's me.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

Cats ARE my kids!

Whats the male version of crazy cat lady? That's me.

My business cards read:
Lord Gaga

Cat Person

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

These last few posts have just reaffirmed that I am making the right decision in regards to how I am spending my meager pay.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Update: I took it to a dealer and got one of their lead techs to have a listen, he told me that the engine sounds great for 200k km and the ticking is probably minor piston slap, still not nearly as bad as some he's seen and he figures it'll last a long while yet. As for the drivetrain whine, there is a TSB regarding the rear bearing in the center diff. Apparently if the car spends time travelling downhill at highway speeds (Nova Scotia is hilly as gently caress, and so is British Columbia, where the car spent most of its life) the rear bearing can slowly cook due to oil starvation. Sounds like bullshit but the fix is to replace it with a beefier bearing and some shims, depending on wear and fitment. He figures it's probably a 5-6 hour job, so I'll be buying the car this week hopefully and dealing with that sometime in the near future.

This thread talks about the problem and how he fixed it, I think it's the top right bearing in the lovely picture he uploaded - part number G33008.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Slow is Fast posted:

These last few posts have just reaffirmed that I am making the right decision in regards to how I am spending my meager pay.

Subarus and cats. What else is there in life?

Subaru 7 is coming home this weekend. That's the MY00 RX that has no idea what's about to happen to it. Subaru No 8 is proving elusive - but unlike Tuscan Tukk a JDM car is exactly what we need

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cat Terrist posted:

Subaru 7 is coming home this weekend. That's the MY00 RX that has no idea what's about to happen to it. Subaru No 8 is proving elusive - but unlike Tuscan Tukk a JDM car is exactly what we need

As much as I like Subarus and other AWD Japanese imports, I actually prefer Australian Muscle cars after moving there and being used to FWD hatchbacks with ginger chavs driving them :v:

That being said, since the only two Holdens Pontiacs I can get here are the GTO and the G8, I'm hoping to get into the AWD scene in a few years if they're cheaper than the American Monaros :3: Cool stuff though mate, lookin forward to seein it!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cat Terrist posted:

Next up on Horders.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

As much as I like Subarus and other AWD Japanese imports, I actually prefer Australian Muscle cars after moving there and being used to FWD hatchbacks with ginger chavs driving them :v:

That being said, since the only two Holdens Pontiacs I can get here are the GTO and the G8, I'm hoping to get into the AWD scene in a few years if they're cheaper than the American Monaros :3: Cool stuff though mate, lookin forward to seein it!

My NON Subaru car is a Holden Statesman Caprice. 5 litres of fuel guzzling fury

quote:

Next up on Horders.

I'll get the last laugh I swear! Subaru 12 will be a 22B, you mark my words!

(I'm looking for an Ugly Betty so I have one WRX of each generation so far. Goddamn, I'm pathetic)

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Cat Terrist posted:

(I'm looking for an Ugly Betty so I have one WRX of each generation so far. Goddamn, I'm pathetic)

I can think of worse ways to spend a life/small fortune.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There's nothing wrong with hoarding Subarus or cats.

You could be spending that space on worse things, like canned food and bottled water. Or a harem of underage exotic sex slaves that you bought off eBay.

The latter is going to need expensive maintenance and one-off parts, for instance. Nobody thinks about the long-term costs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's nothing wrong with hoarding Subarus or cats.

You could be spending that space on worse things, like canned food and bottled water. Or a harem of underage exotic sex slaves that you bought off eBay.

The latter is going to need expensive maintenance and one-off parts, for instance. Nobody thinks about the long-term costs.

Also, the depreciation is killer.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Also, the depreciation is killer.

First person to buy them and take them around the block takes the depreciation hit. After that, they're just used transportation between other people wanting to drive.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Pfft. Appliances with sketchy owner history. Good luck with that.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Finally got my 99 OBS finished. Its running an originally automatic 2000 OBS engine, put into a California-spec 99 5 speed. Everything seems to work well, I didn't have any issues with the swap. I do have excessive brake travel, which was only slightly mitigated by a full bleed and replacing and adjusting the rear brake shoes. Is there anything else that could make a difference? This is my first ABS car, and I didn't see any sort of bleed ports on the ABS unit itself.

Also, I need a few parts like clutch cable, throwout bearing, clutch pedal cover, etc. Is there a good place to get those parts other than RockAuto?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Traded my WRX in last month, have a few leftover parts - SPT intake, snow tires, all-in-one key, and a RED HAZARD SWITCH.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515499

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
I drove my 06 OBS from DC to SF a couple weeks ago with a U-Haul trailer in tow. Halfway through the trip I noticed that when I was accelerating, the car would make a sound like loose change rattling around the tail end. Recently the sound has switched from this high-pitched rattle to a now low-pitched rumble and sounds like a lawnmower when I accelerate. Doesn't sound abnormal when at idling. Car has about 82k miles on it.

Does this sound like an exhaust leak problem or a loose heat shield, or something else?