Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie

tishthedish posted:

Just happy to say that I'm back on birth control! Not that it matters because I have PCOS and absolutely NO periods, but my husband has been hassling me for children. I'm 25 while he is 31, so I am not quite there yet. We tried to conceive for about a year, until we discovered my fertility issue, and the entire time my anxiety was through the roof because I really did NOT want to have a baby (I also didn't tell him because I thought at some point I would want one?). We are financially secure for it, but I'd like to travel.

After talking about it more, we are waiting until I'm comfortable. :)

It's ok to not want children. There are lots of people like you that might be fence sitters, or definitely don't want them at all. It's a big decision, and you shouldn't feel rushed or pressured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planetesimal
Aug 8, 2008
For those of you with Implanon, are the side effects milder compared to other BC methods?

I can barely make it an entire month with the Nuvaring because of the nausea/headaches/cramping/vaginal swelling, so I'm ready to try another form of birth control that requires minimal effort on my part. The nausea is what made me remove it today after having it in for a little over 2 weeks. I also tried the Nuvaring back in August and lasted the entire three weeks before removal, but I didn't bother putting one back in until the end of September because I wasn't getting laid and it didn't seem worth the side effects/cost. I'm not having intercourse with anyone (yet), but I recently started seeing someone and things are heading in that direction (which is why I went back on the ring last month).

I have an aversion to the possibility of vomiting, so I'm worried that I'll have a severe vasovagal response to IUD insertion, which makes Implanon seems like my ideal BC. I also like the idea of being able to poke at my arm every once and while and know that I'm covered on the baby prevention front.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
No answer for that I'm afraid. It varies completely from person to person. To make it more annoying, a low dose birth control might make you sick but another one will a higher dose might not. Give implanon a go though. Good luck!

Katina
May 3, 2009
Does anyone know if inability to orgasm on the pill is a side effect of the estrogen? I recently switched from a combined pill to a progestin-only pill (cerazette) and have my fingers crossed that it'll fix me.

Planetesimal
Aug 8, 2008

Kerfuffle posted:

No answer for that I'm afraid. It varies completely from person to person. To make it more annoying, a low dose birth control might make you sick but another one will a higher dose might not. Give implanon a go though. Good luck!

I'm mainly curious about people's personal experiences, even though I know that won't indicate how I'll react. It might ease my mind, though. From earlier posts, it seems that irregular bleeding is the major annoyance.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Planetesimal posted:

For those of you with Implanon, are the side effects milder compared to other BC methods?

I have an aversion to the possibility of vomiting, so I'm worried that I'll have a severe vasovagal response to IUD insertion, which makes Implanon seems like my ideal BC. I also like the idea of being able to poke at my arm every once and while and know that I'm covered on the baby prevention front.

I can't speak to the Implanon but I didn't handle combined hormonal methods well at all and found the side effects of Mirena to be very mild comparatively.

Also, I have a phobia of vomiting and made it through two IUD insertions and two complicated (my strings like to go missing) removals and never even came close to puking. Do you have a specific history of vasovagal responses leading to vomiting as a result of your cervix being handled? Otherwise I don't think there's any more risk of you vomiting during an IUD insertion than during Implanon insertion.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I had a vagovasal response during a LEEP procedure but didn't with my Mirena, despite the pain.

My gyno used a numbing spray on my cervix though that helped a great deal with that part.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Way back when I was a smoker, about 19 years ago, I was taking ortho novum and ended up having massive migraines. I stopped taking them after six months and never looked back choosing instead to rely on condoms and hope.

Today I'm not a smoker, I'm almost 40 and I just started taking Lutera in the hopes that I don't react badly to it and it helps with the ovarian cyst issue I have. And I'm paranoid about every little thing my body is doing, it sucks.

Is that a headache? Is it from the pills? Am I tingly? Why? Do I feel hungry/not hungry/nauseous? Is that hair new? It's only been a few days but I'm sort of terrified I'll go from having little to no PMS symptoms to being a sobbing mess -- I really should stop reading things online. To make all of this worse, I still battle with having panic attacks from time to time and now I feel like I'm on the verge of one always because I'm hyper-focusing on what my body may or may not be doing. Oh, and I'm also paranoid my libido will tank which would suck because I really do enjoy my boyfriend a lot and would like to continue doing so as often as possible.

In short, I think I'm going to drive myself nuts and I'm not entirely convinced that the benefits are worth that :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
:stare: You gotta BREATHE. If the pill isn't causing those symptoms, then your body will do it on its own because life is cruel like that. I hate to be like, rude/blunt, but maybe you should be seeing someone about that kind of anxiety from just taking birth control. :(

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I know it isn't causing those symptoms I'm just afraid it will after reading dozens of horror stories about Lutera and how it made people insane. Like I said, the internet is bad and then I make it worse because that's my super power :)

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
1) The pill should help with PMS. And if it doesn't there is more than one kind of pill.
2) Stop reading things online. You'll convince yourself of a brain tumor in no time.
3) See someone about your anxiety. It's treatable and doesn't have to rule your life. I know, I struggle with it big time.
4) Everything is going to be OK. If we all hyper focused on our bodies we'd all notice seemingly weird poo poo.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
The anxiety really isn't an issue except for right this second because new and possibly bad and whatnot (you should have seen me when I was told they found a mass on my MRI and I needed to get it looked at ASAP!) It's sort of like how I feel when I have to fly - I hate flying - and it goes away eventually or when I get annoyed with feeling anxious. I know that sounds hollow but I really don't freak out on a regular basis anymore, today is an exception not a rule (and I want it to stay that way!)

No more reading bad things, I promise :)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I've been reading up on the symptoms online and I'm pretty sure I have hypochondria.

:v:

honeybee6
Nov 29, 2011
Looking for more information on the LEEP procedure.

I went in a year ago for a colposcopy, after an abnormal pap, and was told I had moderate displasyia. I went again 6 months later for another colp. followup and was told the cells remains the same, at moderate displaysia. At this time, my doctor gave me the option to wait another 6 months and come back (in hopes that it would go away on its own) OR to have the LEEP and remove it. I waited the 6 months and had my 3rd colp. done, just last week. The results came back today from the lab that the moderate displaysia had morphed into severe displaysia, and that I should schedule a LEEP procedure soon, to remove the pre-cancerous cells.

The nurse on the phone told me that my doctor will give me the option of an outpatient procedure either on local OR general anesthesia. I have to chose being put to sleep for it or just numbing and being awake for this.

I am scared, emotional, and upset at this recent news. The first time I had a colp. I fainted, NAKED, in the doctor's office from seeing the blood, and being anxious. The second time was just fine as I asked not to see any of the instruments, etc. The third time was just fine also, and I had no pain.

What I am mostly scared of is the unknown of what to expect. I have never been put to sleep and that scares me, as well as stupid as this sounds, the IV. I don't know what option would be best for me.

Please help!!! What did you experience, painwise, and such? What was it like in comparison to the Colp.? Did anyone have any complications as far as pregnancy? Any advice would be sooooo appreciated! I just want to get this over with, but want to make an informed decision.

THANK YOU!!!

Planetesimal
Aug 8, 2008

Ceridwen posted:

I can't speak to the Implanon but I didn't handle combined hormonal methods well at all and found the side effects of Mirena to be very mild comparatively.

Also, I have a phobia of vomiting and made it through two IUD insertions and two complicated (my strings like to go missing) removals and never even came close to puking. Do you have a specific history of vasovagal responses leading to vomiting as a result of your cervix being handled? Otherwise I don't think there's any more risk of you vomiting during an IUD insertion than during Implanon insertion.

No history of vasovagal responses... I have a feeling I would feel woozy at the absolute worst, since my last pap smear went just fine. It was uncomfortable, but that's it. I'm just being a paranoid goony goonette.

I was at the doctor's office today for something totally unrelated, but made an appointment for an IUD consultation since I was already there. I foresee long term birth control in my future.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

honeybee6 posted:

Looking for more information on the LEEP procedure.

I was not put to sleep for my LEEP. They just numbed me up. Which they DID NOT do for the colp. General seems a bit much, but whatever you feel comfortable with. It really wasn't that much worse than the colp. Unpleasant to be sure, but it was over before long. I spent the rest of the day feeling blah, but was back on my feet the next day. I had cramps and a little bleeding, but nothing major. Not as bad as my IUD insertion.

Every woman is different, though, and my dysplasia was mild to moderate but we did the LEEP because of family history. But, I don't think they had to go hog wild in there.

The good news: My dysplasia has not returned in over 6 years.

The bad news: my cervix was scarred a good bit (which no one told me until my Mirena insertion), but apparently aside from putting plastic in my uterus it's not been an issue. I am (and will remain) nulliparous, so I cannot help you there.

If you trust your doc, I am sure s/he will help you decide what's best.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 18, 2012

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

honeybee6 posted:

Please help!!! What did you experience, painwise, and such? What was it like in comparison to the Colp.? Did anyone have any complications as far as pregnancy? Any advice would be sooooo appreciated! I just want to get this over with, but want to make an informed decision.

THANK YOU!!!

It's not painful, just slightly uncomfortable sitting for the rest of the day. It takes about 10 minutes to do. They said I should have been awake with the anesthesia, but I was out in a twilight sleep so I don't remember it. It wasn't anything totally groggy to come out of like a proper surgery is. I was just a little sleepy for a bit then fine soon after.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This question might be better suited for the pregnancy thread, but I thought I'd ask in anti-pregnancy thread first.

The mrs. just went off of Ortho Tri cyclen Lo after 3 1/2 years, and would now like a baby. She's 23 years old, finished her last dose in May, and has never been pregnant before. She's getting antsy that it's taking a while to get pregnant. Is this normal? Does it usually take a while after getting off HBC?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

canyoneer posted:

This question might be better suited for the pregnancy thread, but I thought I'd ask in anti-pregnancy thread first.

The mrs. just went off of Ortho Tri cyclen Lo after 3 1/2 years, and would now like a baby. She's 23 years old, finished her last dose in May, and has never been pregnant before. She's getting antsy that it's taking a while to get pregnant. Is this normal? Does it usually take a while after getting off HBC?

It's very normal, though there are things she can do to increase your chances of it happening quickly. I recommend you check out the "Getting knocked up" thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3136070

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

canyoneer posted:

Is this normal? Does it usually take a while after getting off HBC?

Yes. No. Basically, how quickly a woman gets pregnant is completely dependent on her body's cycle and when she's trying to conceive. That being said, you *can* get pregnant the first day off the pill, but it doesn't mean you will. Either extreme is totally normal.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Thanks! I'll check the other thread.

Katina
May 3, 2009
I am having some problems with Cerazette (progestin-only pill). I have been on it for 2 weeks now, one of which was during my period. It stopped for a few days but bleeding resumed just before my boyfriend visited. He went home, and it stopped. He is visiting me again later today, and lo and behold I have just started bleeding again. Does my pill hate my boyfriend?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I recently went to PP to swap my pill, and just took home whatever pill they gave me without thinking about it. Well, today was my first day of the new pill, so I did some research and realized the pill they gave me (Lutera) is a generic version of a pill I was on in the past and had to swap off of in the middle of the first pack because it was so horrible (Alesse). I've never taken a generic version of a pill before, and I know second times on the same pill doesn't always yield the same side effects as the first time around. Even still, I've got a lot going on in the next few months, and would really like to avoid a repeat of the Alesse mess.

Does anyone who has experience with generics tell me if you've had the same experiences on it as the brand name version of your pill?

Or in the worst case scenario, would PP take back the pills they gave me and give me a new one? Or are they going to give me a load of crap for it? I've never felt like I had to return a pill before (likely because I've never inadvertently put myself on one I've taken before).

gabi
Sep 10, 2008
When I had to switch to generics my side effects got worse, but when my mom switched hers cleared up entirely. Who the hell knows.

If you go back to PP and explain what happened they'll totally understand. No one has a complete list of generics for pills in their head.

Erin Esurance Waifu
Sep 28, 2006
Does Amoxicillin affect Implanon at all? When the PA prescribed the antibiotic to my wife he told her it does not but she has some...questions about his judgment. Almost everything I see online says no as well but there was no specific word on the Implanon website so I thought I would ask here. I'm sure there's a pharmacist or someone knowledgeable in here.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
No it does not.

Faux Pas
May 30, 2003

Anything for a smile.
Thought I'd share a positive experience so far with the Paragard three months in.

Periods

The first period with it, of course, was not the best experience as my flow was super heavy the first three days then tapered off after four. Took plenty of Naproxen (Aleve) and acetaminophen to make it tolerable and it helped to some degree. But dear lord the cramps. they lasted for at least three days straight. They have been the most intense set of cramps I've ever experienced and unlike anything I've had before pre IUD insertion. They're definitely different. However, after periods are done no spotting or cramps in between.

The last two periods: first two days of heavy bleeding then three light flow days. But by this time I figured out that taking vitamin E the week before and during periods helps lessen the severity of the cramps and the flow over all. I've only had one night where I overflowed on my Divacup but luckily I backed up with an overnight pad. Hopefully, future periods from here on out start improving especially the cramps because that stuff is intense.

Sexy times

Partner doesn't feel it as I was lucky enough that my strings stay tucked around my cervix. For the most part no pain except it can be uncomfortable with certain positions (when I know I'm being bumped at the uterus). I'm most definitely sensitive when having intercourse during my menstrual cycle but otherwise, pain free.

This thing is awesome. Since getting off HBC my moods improved, weight is maintained, hair loss ceased or at least slowed down. Best birth control decision I've ever made.

Faux Pas fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 2, 2012

ElNiffi
Jun 26, 2012
Wow, thanks for this.

I'm really thinking about an IUD because HBC makes me a bit crazy.

But I hear horror stories about cramps and periods :gonk:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I've been considering getting one and then going on another birth control to help with my acne bullshit, and I presume it would also help with the periods.

The major thing holding me back is fear of the insertion.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I have a few friends with Paragard and they have all said, like Faux Pas, that Vitamin E is a lifesaver with the periods.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I came here a while ago with a problem with my BC, and thanks to this thread I got off the pills making me suicidal and have been on Tricyclene for about... just under a year now I think. It's worked amazing; I've had no issues with it and no mental problems, so I thought it was perfect.

But now I'm having this weird loving problem. Where before my periods would last maybe 4-5 days off pill, they've now started going longer and longer, maybe 2-3 days into my new pack. I have missed once or twice but always made up that day asap. This last time I started with 3 days to go after missing a pill for half a day, and I've started taking them again as normal, and it's still going. I miss them, it happens, I don't miss them, it's still long.

I just need some advice before I have to go looking for a new family doctor. Is there any pill out there similar, maybe stronger? I'm not sure where I can go from here considering most normal pills suck for me and this one's been good till now. I should also mention I've started seeing a guy, so it's really hampering what little time we get to be together. :(

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Stop missing pills. If it's happening on a regular basis, it's a problem. I would recommend looking into non-pill options like Implanon or Nuvaring or Mirena.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Chicken Doodle posted:

I just need some advice before I have to go looking for a new family doctor. Is there any pill out there similar, maybe stronger? I'm not sure where I can go from here considering most normal pills suck for me and this one's been good till now.

You don't need a stronger pill, you need to take them properly. All the breakthrough you're experiencing is likely due to your missing pills consistently. And yes, I'd say missing anywhere between 1-3 pills per pack is consistently (and this is what your post implies is going on).

That being said, perhaps you need to swap to a longer-term method like the patch, ring, or implant.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I had a feeling it was myself being dumb, yeah. :shobon: Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm going to try setting a noisy alarm for when I have to take them until I can research a better method that'll give me period control (which is why I'm using the pill, to try and help me have a timely period). I'll take a look at the OP and go from there.

Edit: Nuvaring looks good for that; only have to think about it every three weeks and it looks like it'd be pretty close to Tricyclene. Thanks!

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 4, 2012

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I recently went to PP to swap my pill, and just took home whatever pill they gave me without thinking about it. Well, today was my first day of the new pill, so I did some research and realized the pill they gave me (Lutera) is a generic version of a pill I was on in the past and had to swap off of in the middle of the first pack because it was so horrible (Alesse). I've never taken a generic version of a pill before, and I know second times on the same pill doesn't always yield the same side effects as the first time around. Even still, I've got a lot going on in the next few months, and would really like to avoid a repeat of the Alesse mess.

Does anyone who has experience with generics tell me if you've had the same experiences on it as the brand name version of your pill?

Or in the worst case scenario, would PP take back the pills they gave me and give me a new one? Or are they going to give me a load of crap for it? I've never felt like I had to return a pill before (likely because I've never inadvertently put myself on one I've taken before).

I took the generic of my BC and I became completely insanely moody, and my anger went up 500%, so I don't take generics for birth control anymore. I've also heard of people getting migraines, spotting, and all sorts of other weird stuff when I read about it.

I've never had a problem bringing back pills before, the only issue is that you'll probably be charged more for requesting brand name when a generic is available.

Unrelated, but it's month 4 of me skipping the placebo pills/continuously taking Yaz, and no periods or problems. I'm way too excited about this (yes the doctors said it was okay). :woop:

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I took the generic of my BC and I became completely insanely moody, and my anger went up 500%, so I don't take generics for birth control anymore. I've also heard of people getting migraines, spotting, and all sorts of other weird stuff when I read about it.
I'm taking Lutera (Alesse generic) and all of the side-effects I was told I'd definitely get (by websites and a few friends) haven't happened. I'm a little more sentimental maybe but that's about it. Still really enjoying time with my fella, no headaches, no nausea, no spotting and no wanting to horribly murder people. I take it before I go to bed after I wash my face and forget about it. Maybe I'll go crazy after I've been on it for a few more months but it looks like most people start experiencing the nasty stuff while on the first pack.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie

Kerfuffle posted:

I've been considering getting one and then going on another birth control to help with my acne bullshit, and I presume it would also help with the periods.

The major thing holding me back is fear of the insertion.

I was TOTALLY freaked out too. Discuss your concern with the Gyno, and be sure to ask for cervical softening drugs, and go while you are on your period. For me, 30 seconds of discomfort, and one big cramp was worth it. Now I don't have to worry about BC for 10 years.

ABFA00
Jul 9, 2009
I'm 24 and I've never used birth control (I know this is probably bad). I got a prescription a couple years ago from my school's health clinic but didn't actually get it because I only had a photocopy of the card, and it apparently was missing some information. I'm feeling more grown up suddenly and feeling like I should actually go to doctors regularly like a normal person.

I'm sure I'll repeat all this when I find someone to go to but I'd like to be able to say I did research before going in and making requests. I have serious doubts about my ability to remember to take pills. I can swallow them now, but sometimes even having it in my mouth makes me feel nauseous, so I'm not into the idea of having to take one every day, just in case. I also don't want to have periods. It's been a long time but they're still uncomfortable for me, and I usually get bad cramps the first day or two, and even when I feel fine it's still a huge inconvenience that has prevented me from doing things in the past. I was thinking depo-provera might be my best option. A friend is on it and she's a fan, hasn't mentioned experiencing any awful side effects, but the wikipedia article and other stuff I've found are a little intimidating. From the OP specifically, the don't take it more than 2 years and maybe not as your first method things are what concern me.. is there anything with more specifics than this? Maybe something that could reassure me?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

ABFA00 posted:

I'm 24 and I've never used birth control (I know this is probably bad). I got a prescription a couple years ago from my school's health clinic but didn't actually get it because I only had a photocopy of the card, and it apparently was missing some information. I'm feeling more grown up suddenly and feeling like I should actually go to doctors regularly like a normal person.

I'm sure I'll repeat all this when I find someone to go to but I'd like to be able to say I did research before going in and making requests. I have serious doubts about my ability to remember to take pills. I can swallow them now, but sometimes even having it in my mouth makes me feel nauseous, so I'm not into the idea of having to take one every day, just in case. I also don't want to have periods. It's been a long time but they're still uncomfortable for me, and I usually get bad cramps the first day or two, and even when I feel fine it's still a huge inconvenience that has prevented me from doing things in the past. I was thinking depo-provera might be my best option. A friend is on it and she's a fan, hasn't mentioned experiencing any awful side effects, but the wikipedia article and other stuff I've found are a little intimidating. From the OP specifically, the don't take it more than 2 years and maybe not as your first method things are what concern me.. is there anything with more specifics than this? Maybe something that could reassure me?

I started taking BC last year at the tender age of 24 so don't worry about that! :3: I'm on the pill because I have a pretty regular work-sleep-etc schedule and have no trouble taking pills(also these pills are teeny-tiny and taste like sugar) but when I first asked my GP about it she wanted me to try pills rather than hop straight into one of the longer-term methods. Basically to make sure I wasn't going to have an adverse reaction to the hormones, which luckily I haven't. I can also take them comtinuously if I want to skip periods, but my GP suggested I don't do that too often so it's not a definite 'no more periods' solution.

I don't know about non-pill short-term hormonal methods you could suggest instead... Maybe the NuvaRing, you can take it out if the hormones are loving with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

ABFA00 posted:

I'm not a fan of bc pills in general because they rely completely on user responsibility. Some people are completely fastidious with their prescription, but I wasn't.

I switched to Depo after being on the pill and I loved it- I only had to go in once every three months for a quick injection and it made my menses disappear. You can use Depo for 3 years iirc, then you should switch to a different method. The only problem I had with Depo was tied to the fluctuation of hormones: when it was tapering off and right after I got a new "boost" I became very emotional.

Now I'm on Implanon and it's the best ever.

• Locked thread