Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I didn't play GX until a few years after it had come out, but were they super rare even when the game came out? By the time I got around to it there was like one cabinet per state.

I don't honestly know. They certainly weren't around where I lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I didn't play GX until a few years after it had come out, but were they super rare even when the game came out? By the time I got around to it there was like one cabinet per state.

It was always like one cabinet per state.

quote:

GX was only super difficult on the super difficult modes, and adventure mode was very much course memorization and muscle memory. The regular racing modes were incredibly varied and not all that difficult until you got up to the higher cups on expert, or any cup at all on master. Even that you could cheese with your own custom vehicle. The only real complaint is that you have to beat the super difficult modes to unlock all content.

It's not even that though. Even on medium if you hosed up one time and fell behind it was virtually impossible to get a lead again. The other vehicles simply didn't make mistakes and increasing the difficulty only increased the bullshit levels.

The other machines on Hard/Master would travel at completely impossible speeds so your only hope was learning how to snake, or killing the winning machines consistently so you'd win by default (which required extreme luck).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I beat all cups and adventure stages on all difficulties, and I think the only time I snaked was on the Samurai Goroh race.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's not even that though. Even on medium if you hosed up one time and fell behind it was virtually impossible to get a lead again. The other vehicles simply didn't make mistakes and increasing the difficulty only increased the bullshit levels.

The other machines on Hard/Master would travel at completely impossible speeds so your only hope was learning how to snake, or killing the winning machines consistently so you'd win by default (which required extreme luck).

You could easily win a cup without ever even taking first place though, just kill your rivals all the time. You even conveniently start near or slightly ahead of the people who beat you in the last race.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Bobnumerotres posted:

This is not true at all. At the harder cups yeah they didn't make mistakes but there was no rubber banding AI/cheating. The player just had to drive smart, better, and faster. (And kill you rivals if you need a extra boost on the score sheet.)

Hell, I even loved the story mode, because it taught me how to really understand and play with the race engine. I never would have figure out and gotten extremely good at the power slide without Story Mission 3.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I tried playing F-Zero GX's story mode on normal difficulty. I didn't have a problem with it the first time they put me in a race against twenty-four mathematically perfect racing robots who were all faster and heavier than me and had better handling. Nor did I give up the second time, when they also had a head start. But the third time, when I had all of two laps on the shortest track in the game to catch up to and destroy all of them - that's what broke me. I didn't want to have to start taking hypertension medication so I stopped playing it. I simply gave away my copy of the game rather than sell it, because any money I would have received from that transaction would have carried some remnant of my impotent rage.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bongo Bill posted:

I tried playing F-Zero GX's story mode on normal difficulty. I didn't have a problem with it the first time they put me in a race against twenty-four mathematically perfect racing robots who were all faster and heavier than me and had better handling. Nor did I give up the second time, when they also had a head start. But the third time, when I had all of two laps on the shortest track in the game to catch up to and destroy all of them - that's what broke me. I didn't want to have to start taking hypertension medication so I stopped playing it. I simply gave away my copy of the game rather than sell it, because any money I would have received from that transaction would have carried some remnant of my impotent rage.

Quit getting mad at videogames.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

BexGu posted:

This is not true at all. At the harder cups yeah they didn't make mistakes but there was no rubber banding AI/cheating.

What? There is youtube proof that the AI's track times will increase drastically if you are in the lead. When I was bad at the game I would try to pick the absolute fastest vehicles with the best boost speeds and would be overtaken by the shittier machines, at max speed.

They cheated a lot, it was just subtle, they didn't make impossibly good turns or go from 0 to max in an instant after messing up. But they never messed up unless you forced them to, and they would constantly catch up to you using impossible speed if you got too far ahead.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

On the first stage of Diamond Cup, driving the Fat Shark, I would never see another car after the first lap, so I have to question this idea that the AI is permitted to catch up to any speed.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 4, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The actual racing wasn't so terrible with cheating, any more so than what was in F-Zero X, but some of the stuff in Story Mode is all about forcing you into a pretty narrow box of acceptability by any means necessary.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Bobnumerotres posted:

What? There is youtube proof that the AI's track times will increase drastically if you are in the lead. When I was bad at the game I would try to pick the absolute fastest vehicles with the best boost speeds and would be overtaken by the shittier machines, at max speed.

They cheated a lot, it was just subtle, they didn't make impossibly good turns or go from 0 to max in an instant after messing up. But they never messed up unless you forced them to, and they would constantly catch up to you using impossible speed if you got too far ahead.

In the story mission, yes, but in the Cups, no. I used to beat the AI so much I had to wait seconds before I found out who was 2nd, 3rd, etc.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

One the first stage of Diamond Cup, driving the Fat Shark, I would never see another car after the first lap, so I have to question this idea that the AI is permitted to catch up to any speed.

That stage doesn't really count. It's basically a straight line, the easiest stage in the game, never had any trouble on it even with slower vehicles.

When I got a hang of snaking, yeah, the AI clearly wasn't designed to catch up to that kind of speed, they have limits. The moment I took a break from snaking though their little icon would start catching up to mine really quick, and they had crazy track times.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Not to take away from F-Zero chat, but apparently most Gamestops won't be doing midnight launches for the Wii U.

Mine isn't even opening early, but in a way that's good, because it means I won't have to get up early on Sunday morning to pick up my console. :v:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Humongous Pear posted:

Not to take away from F-Zero chat, but apparently most Gamestops won't be doing midnight launches for the Wii U.

Mine isn't even opening early, but in a way that's good, because it means I won't have to get up early on Sunday morning to pick up my console. :v:

You're actually bringing us back on topic!

Releasing anything on sunday is pretty silly. My university gamestop isn't even open on Sunday..or at least..I don't think so.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
so i was on the fence about getting this system, and still am but what are the chances of me getting one before years end with no preorder?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Joink posted:

so i was on the fence about getting this system, and still am but what are the chances of me getting one before years end with no preorder?

If you have a thousand dollars, nearly 100%.

Otherwise it depends on the size of your bladder and how many systems aren't reserved for preorders. You might have an easier time finding the basic system.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I played a little bit of F-Zero X and GX a few weeks back, and it seemed to me that the tracks in GX were way too lengthy. X's tracks are actually really short, which works well with the insane difficulty. Careening off the track on the last lap means that you have to repeat at most a minute's worth of racing, as long as you don't run out of lives.

If I were in charge of F-Zero U I'd keep the tracks about as short as X's, with the absolute minimum of menus and loading screens between them. Reduce the amount of time that I'm not going 1000mph to as little as possible.

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 4, 2012

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

microwave casserole posted:

I went back and played a little bit of F-Zero X and GX a few weeks back, and it seemed to me that the tracks in GX are way too lengthy. X's tracks are actually really short, which works well with the insane difficulty. Careening off the track on the last lap means that you have to repeat at most a minute's worth of racing, as long as you don't run out of lives.

If I were in charge of F-Zero U I'd keep the tracks about as short as X's, with the absolute minimum of menus and loading screens between them. Reduce the amount of time that I'm not going 1000mph to as little as possible.

Eliminate lives. Infinite lives. If you're gonna be tricky, destroy load times and wait times.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They should give both Mario Kart and Fzero the different vehicle types like in Diddy Kong Racing and Sonic Racing Transformed. It adds variety, gives you alternate paths out the wazoo, and doesn't seem to stagnate(i.e. everyone using bikes for MK Wii).

That and battle mode would be fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vaerai Archon posted:

They should give both Mario Kart and Fzero the different vehicle types like in Diddy Kong Racing and Sonic Racing Transformed. It adds variety, gives you alternate paths out the wazoo, and doesn't seem to stagnate(i.e. everyone using bikes for MK Wii).

Then it wouldn't be F-Zero though. It'd be like saying an F-1 Grand Prix would be more interesting if the drivers could pick bi-planes. All you've done is take three franchises and try to make them identical.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Then it wouldn't be F-Zero though. It'd be like saying an F-1 Grand Prix would be more interesting if the drivers could pick bi-planes. All you've done is take three franchises and try to make them identical.

No it would still be F-Zero, but F-Zero would now have transforming vehicles like in Red Line. :colbert:

It would work, it would break your balls, but it would work. Rush 2049 did the pop out wings for when your car flew over gaps. Similar mechanics would be fine with what is allready established in F Zero.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 4, 2012

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Joink posted:

Most of the Wii U's on ebay are going for $450'ish for the deluxe model. If you are desperate you could always try that. If it is another scenario like with the Wii and supply is limited through the holidays after launch the resellers will probably double that price once the world realizes they are sold out and now little Timmy and Sally's christmas might be ruined. With every major retailer doing pre-orders, probably the best bet right now is to contact K-Mart, Meijers or Costco if you have any of those near you and see how they are handling things.

As far as the gamestop thing goes, that's where i pre-ordered and i'm glad they aren't doing a midnight release. It's a sunday release first of all, on top of that they did pre-orders for every system. There's going to be a limited number of systems per store so it doesn't make sense to do a midnight release if you are only getting 15-20 systems and all of those people probably won't show up for a midnight release anyways.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I played the Rayman Legends demo a week back (The Castle Rock section), and thought it was awesome, and was puzzled by the response here.

Then I played the other half. Holy poo poo, I really hope that the touchscreen portions of the game are sparse. Better yet, if they are not in the other versions, I may as well get that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
According to an interview I read, they only take up 20% of the game, and are purely optional.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"Other versions"? It's a Wii U exclusive.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. Fetus posted:

According to an interview I read, they only take up 20% of the game, and are purely optional.

They won't be considered optional if they're needed to platinum a game.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Unlucky7 posted:

I played the Rayman Legends demo a week back (The Castle Rock section), and thought it was awesome, and was puzzled by the response here.

Then I played the other half. Holy poo poo, I really hope that the touchscreen portions of the game are sparse. Better yet, if they are not in the other versions, I may as well get that.

It's exclusive to Wii U.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dr. Fetus posted:

That's 10% too much!

Mammal Sauce posted:

"Other versions"? It's a Wii U exclusive.

I could have swore it was multiplatform. Darn.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, has anything come of the toys-on-gamepad thing for Rayman Legends? Or was that just a general tech demo done by Ubisoft? Also, given the fact that Rayman Legends has been delayed a few months (dammit!), it's still possible they might tweak the Murray levels (I haven't had a chance to try it, just going off of the general responses of you guys to it).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well from what it seems like, they already tweaked them. Originally they took up 50% of the game! And it didn't sound like they were optional back then.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'd enjoy an F-Zero if it had something like 10 default racers, 5 unlockables, and like 20 courses with increasing levels of difficulty (new paths on the harder difficulties).

I actually kind of liked the N64 game, but having as many racers as Pokemon and being bone-shatteringly tough means I can't play it with relatives the way my mother enjoyed the easiest whole course of levels.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I think Miyamoto and the interviewer danced around what we really want from a new F-Zero: a game in the series with a track editor to finally come out in the West.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I'd enjoy an F-Zero if it had something like 10 default racers, 5 unlockables, and like 20 courses with increasing levels of difficulty (new paths on the harder difficulties).

I actually kind of liked the N64 game, but having as many racers as Pokemon and being bone-shatteringly tough means I can't play it with relatives the way my mother enjoyed the easiest whole course of levels.
Since games don't necessarily need to suffer reduced depth of mechanics or amount of content in order to broaden their appeal, I'm usually the first person to criticise people who fret needlessly about "casualisation" of games resulting in a weaker overall experience. That said, this is the first time I have ever seen someone actually advocating for that to happen. :psyduck:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Craptacular! posted:

Yes, cause heaven forbid if we don't make every game easy and braindead enough for your mother to play.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Vaerai Archon posted:

japtor posted:

I hope Monster is working on Excite Wave 1080 or something, just throw all the poor selling racing games together into something insane.
Guess I forgot one. F-Wave 1080 EX!

I'd be happy with an "HD Classics" version of GX with online added on...too bad it used the analog triggers :doh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

japtor posted:

Guess I forgot one. F-Wave 1080 EX!

I'd be happy with an "HD Classics" version of GX with online added on...too bad it used the analog triggers :doh:

No reason you couldn't use the Pro Controller. Given the WiiU's supposed to get Gamecube games in the eShop, it's probably not actually as far-fetched as you think.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Pro Controller doesn't have analogue triggers/shoulder buttons either, does it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I thought it did, but a look at the OP proved me wrong. :doh:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
No.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/30454

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Of course I'd be excited about a new F-Zero game, Mr. Miaymoto, as F-Zero GX was one of my favorite ( and most played ) GameCube -games. Sure, it was difficult as hell, but also rewarding and full of content. It used to look eye-meltingly amazing, too.

• Locked thread