Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There are straight-up robots in Skyward Sword. Robots that talk to you. Robot drones that launch mini-drones then fire guided rockets in factories. Sentry towers with laser beams. It's all very stylistic in almost an Aztec theme, but it's all robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Well I think Zelda games have often had those tower enemies that shoot beams at you, but yeah they were definitely more robot-themed in Skyward Sword.

So for people who don't want sci-fi in their Zelda, it's already there.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

:aaaaa:

Really liking the thought of them having the balls to infuriate casuals with false exits.

Don't worry, if the game sees it takes more than the par QA time to find the correct exit, a super guide block will appear.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I definitely felt like they were dipping their feet in the idea of doing an almost straight sci-fi Zelda with a lot of what was in Skyward Sword, the same way I felt like they wanted to do a wild west Zelda when I played Twilight Princess. They'll keep pushing it in slightly different directions until they get one where critics and fans alike react with "the best part of this new Zelda game was definitely ____" and then the next Zelda game will be all about whatever that aesthetic is.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

HJE-Cobra posted:

At any rate, I can only look forward to what they'll do with Zelda on the Wii U. I wouldn't mind a slightly more sci-fi direction, but I think handling it like some kind of technomagic rather than just spaceships and lasers or whatever.

I completely agree with you there. I have no issue with a technomagic style and I haven't played enough of Skyward Sword (trying to finish Xenoblade first) to see where they go with it. It's just for me I don't want to see Star Wars Zelda. Where you're running around slashing robots with a Master Sword on a space craft dungeon. To me there's no point in going there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I completely agree with you there. I have no issue with a technomagic style and I haven't played enough of Skyward Sword (trying to finish Xenoblade first) to see where they go with it. It's just for me I don't want to see Star Wars Zelda. Where you're running around slashing robots with a Master Sword on a space craft dungeon. To me there's no point in going there.

I figure a Dune or Warhammer 40,000 approach would be more appropriate where high technology or space travel is a thing that is common but everyone still talks, dresses and behaves in terms of ancient gods and magic superstitions and so on. It would actually fit really well given how many of the Zelda games take place in a societies built over the ruins of the old world or whatever, that people would be surrounded by and constantly using all kinds of stuff they don't fully understand.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

Bobnumerotres posted:

Spring is basically always the season of gaming drought :ssh:

This year we had Mass Effect 3, Street Fighter X Tekken, Silent Hill: Downpour, Max Payne 3, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and Dragon's Dogma all in Spring (March and May, mostly) and in 2013 we've at least got God of War: Ascension, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter Tri and Grand Theft Auto V.

Honestly, if anything Summer is when the drought is, when the usual Spring releases and people who wanted to avoid the November AAAs of the year before have all come out and everyone's saving it all for September-October to get in before the current year's November AAAs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Interestingly, if you go back and check out your release dates over the years you'll notice that the major spring release dates are a trend begun by Nintendo itself.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Neo Rasa posted:

I definitely felt like they were dipping their feet in the idea of doing an almost straight sci-fi Zelda with a lot of what was in Skyward Sword, the same way I felt like they wanted to do a wild west Zelda when I played Twilight Princess. They'll keep pushing it in slightly different directions until they get one where critics and fans alike react with "the best part of this new Zelda game was definitely ____" and then the next Zelda game will be all about whatever that aesthetic is.

The Western feel to Twilight Princess was great. It even had a wagon chase and shoot-out at a ghost town!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Introvert posted:

in 2013 we've at least got God of War: Ascension, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter Tri and Grand Theft Auto V.

Also Bioshock Infinite and South Park: The Stick of Truth!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Never forget the first "The ancient Gods were robots or some poo poo" reveal in the Zelda series:

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bobnumerotres posted:

Spring is basically always the season of gaming drought :ssh:

Important games come out in the summer or during the holidays. It's been like this forever. Spring is the time to chill out and enjoy all the games you already have.

That really hasn't been true for awhile, spring has been the time where a bunch of nitche/cult following games are released. This happened with the PSX,PS2 PS3, Xbox360, and to some extent the original Xbox and Wii.

Hell, I'm sure nobody realized that the Wii got a sequel to Time Gal and it also was released in America.

Hell the PSX had Threads of Fate, Chrono Cross, and Legend of Mana all within a month or two of each other in the summer.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 4, 2012

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Vaerai Archon posted:

That really hasn't been true for awhile, spring has been the time where a bunch of nitche/cult following games are released. This happened with the PSX,PS2 PS3, Xbox360, and to some extent the original Xbox and Wii.

Hell, I'm sure nobody realized that the Wii got a sequel to Time Gal and it also was released in America.

I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here? Nobody realised the Wii got a sequel to Time Gal because of the time it was released?

I play a fair few games and I've never even heard of the game. And nothing I can find on Google implies there even was a release on the Wii of Time Gal or a sequel.

EDIT: Reread original post - Spring is when niche games get released is the point you're making.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Does anyone really want to play a Star Wars adventure game with Link and Ganon?

I don't know, but I sure would play a Zelda-clone set in the Star Wars universe :swoon:

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shelf Adventure posted:

I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here? Nobody realised the Wii got a sequel to Time Gal because of the time it was released?

I play a fair few games and I've never even heard of the game. And nothing I can find on Google implies there even was a release on the Wii of Time Gal or a sequel.

EDIT: Reread original post - Spring is when niche games get released is the point you're making.

Yes nitche games get released durring that period, and for the most part they're solid games. They're not some million copies sold day one Halo or Call of Duty thing. But they're certainly worth playing.

Infact entire series have made the whole Spring to Summer the primetime for their releases. Disgaea for example had it's mainline games usualy come from August to September.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

What're the chances of Metal gear Rising on Wii U? It's already multi-platform.
Well this hip hop gamer fellow says it's coming. He also said Splinter Cell would be coming a while ago and that one might turn out true so who knows.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

japtor posted:

Well this hip hop gamer fellow says it's coming. He also said Splinter Cell would be coming a while ago and that one might turn out true so who knows.

Ah, that's awesome news. I'd hate to miss out on games like that.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Chronojam posted:

There are straight-up robots in Skyward Sword. Robots that talk to you. Robot drones that launch mini-drones then fire guided rockets in factories. Sentry towers with laser beams. It's all very stylistic in almost an Aztec theme, but it's all robots.
Also, the robots were built in the distant past by a dead civilization. It seems like more and more Nintendo's aesthetic for the Zelda series is one of a formerly advanced, Xenoblade-esque techno-magical world (aside from the giant god corpses thing) that gradually declined into the bronze/iron age levels of the older games. We've already gone back to the ostensible beginning of the mythology, so I have to wonder if Nintendo's going to continue with the sci-fi elements or take a different route with the Wii U and 3DS games.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chaltab posted:

Also, the robots were built in the distant past by a dead civilization. It seems like more and more Nintendo's aesthetic for the Zelda series is one of a formerly advanced, Xenoblade-esque techno-magical world (aside from the giant god corpses thing) that gradually declined into the bronze/iron age levels of the older games. We've already gone back to the ostensible beginning of the mythology, so I have to wonder if Nintendo's going to continue with the sci-fi elements or take a different route with the Wii U and 3DS games.

So the big picture is, Hyrule is part of the Lyatt system which makes Star Fox, Star Fox 64, Star Fox Assault, and Star Fox Adventures all take place thousands of years before OoT which is the first game in chronological order in the Zelda series. :colbert:

This explains the beast men enemies, this explains the technology, and this explains the Arwing easter egg in OoT. I mean how can you look at that Shadow Temple boss and not see that it's really a robot Andross prototype.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 5, 2012

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Vaerai Archon posted:

As far as I could find, the only thing remotely Time Gal-related on the Wii is the character appearing in Castle Shikigami III, which is kind of a stretch to call a sequel.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A good poster posted:

As far as I could find, the only thing remotely Time Gal-related on the Wii is the character appearing in Castle Shikigami III, which is kind of a stretch to call a sequel.

Yes that's correct. However she's the main character and her campaign directly ties to what happened in Time Gal instead of CS2. It's a very weird instance of having two unrelated properties being tied together.

It's not like Castle Shikigami ever had some broad sweeping story. But they bothered to have specific dialogue and mention what the hell happened in a game that nobody played decades ago in the intruction booklet.

To an extent it's similar to what square did with Dirge of Cerberus or even what Atlus did with Persona 4 Arena. It's a different genre that plays nothing like the original but references the original game. It's still considered a prequel/sequel though as far as continuity goes.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 5, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Supercar Gautier posted:

Never forget the first "The ancient Gods were robots or some poo poo" reveal in the Zelda series:

Hyrule is on the planet Venom, confirmed. Ganon is a clone of Andross.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vaerai Archon posted:

So the big picture is, Hyrule is part of the Lyatt system which makes Star Fox, Star Fox 64, Star Fox Assault, and Star Fox Adventures all take place thousands of years before OoT which is the first game in chronological order in the Zelda series. :colbert:

This explains the beast men enemies, this explains the technology, and this explains the Arwing easter egg in OoT. I mean how can you look at that Shadow Temple boss and not see that it's really a robot Andross prototype.

I do think it would actually be a very smart thing for Nintendo to have all their characters be in the same "universe" besides the Smash Bros. games. In this age of fans loving their canon it would make for easy and constant tie-in products/get ____ game to see more of ____ character etc. They used to do little things like that all the time like there's a "General Samus" in the original Advance Wars, all the Mario enemies (and pet Chain Chomp :3 ) that appear in Link's Awakening and such. Capcom vaguely did this too with Super Joe/Captain Commando.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rake Arms posted:

I don't know, but I sure would play a Zelda-clone set in the Star Wars universe :swoon:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a good Star Wars title that allowed me to explore the Star Wars Universe in a Zelda-esque fashion.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Neo Rasa posted:

I do think it would actually be a very smart thing for Nintendo to have all their characters be in the same "universe" besides the Smash Bros. games. In this age of fans loving their canon it would make for easy and constant tie-in products/get ____ game to see more of ____ character etc.

If you're just talking about cameos, fine, but I certainly don't want to see the Zelda timeline theorists be able to legitimately say Peach is a reincarnation of Zelda and Pikmin are a form of Pokémon.

Smash Bros. should really pull out a lot of this stuff for their next Adventure Mode, though. Brawl's was pretty lacking in the whole "worlds cross over" department.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Other games can have cameos, but I certainly don't want to see the Zelda timeline theorists be able to legitimately say Peach is a reincarnation of Zelda and Pikmin are a form of Pokémon.

It's too late, they allready have. :negative:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All Nintendo protagonists are actually part of one giant Ditto, their race collectively is known as the founders.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So if anyone's curious, the first reviews for Wii U games have come out through the UK gaming magazine GamesMaster. They only talked about Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros U though, so it looks like you're just gonna have to wait until later for a clearer perspective on the launch lineup in its entirety.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Policenaut posted:

So if anyone's curious, the first reviews for Wii U games have come out through the UK gaming magazine GamesMaster. They only talked about Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros U though, so it looks like you're just gonna have to wait until later for a clearer perspective on the launch lineup in its entirety.

Do they do reasonable reviews? 86% for Nintendo Land is pretty good.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

greatn posted:

All Nintendo protagonists are actually part of one giant Ditto, their race collectively is known as the founders.

"We demand more De Blob games."

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
I'm essentially picking up a console and Mario U and plan on playing some Wii games to hold me over. If anybody else is in the same boat as me, any reccos on original Wii games?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

juicecube posted:

I'm essentially picking up a console and Mario U and plan on playing some Wii games to hold me over. If anybody else is in the same boat as me, any reccos on original Wii games?

MadWorld, Okami, Resident Evil 4, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Bit.Trip Beat & sequels.

None of those are like Mario U, just a random selection of games that I enjoyed that you might not have played!

(The Bit.Trip games are WiiWare titles, though, so I'm not 100% sure if/when they'll be available on the Wii U.)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

juicecube posted:

Murasmasa, Punch-Out, Endless Ocean 1+2, ExciteTruck, and Xenoblade are all very good.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
Ah yes Punch-Out I missed that one. Now to find it for cheap :ninja:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Last Story is also really good if you like games about mercenaries shooting the poo poo and getting drunk and killing lizard-people. There's a plot in there somewhere but eh

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Little King's Story is great if you ever played Overlord and didn't think it was :3: enough.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

MadWorld, Okami, Resident Evil 4, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Bit.Trip Beat & sequels.

None of those are like Mario U, just a random selection of games that I enjoyed that you might not have played!

(The Bit.Trip games are WiiWare titles, though, so I'm not 100% sure if/when they'll be available on the Wii U.)

I'm fairly certain Bit.Trip got a boxed release at some point.

Edit: Seems so, it was released as Bit.Trip.Complete.

Southpaw Wusky fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 5, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Does anyone know if there are going to be any big launch events outside of the Nintendo World Store? The Wii had one at Universal Citywalk in Los Angeles last time, but I haven't heard of anything similar yet :(

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

juicecube posted:

Be sure to get both Mario Galaxys, and if you manage to find the Metroid Prime Trilogy you'd be a fool not to buy it, and maybe try out one of the Zeldas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Donkey Kong Country Returns is excellent.

• Locked thread