Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Cheap and easy, try something like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/TP-Roll-Organizer-Box-instructable/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Hit up DarkLotus in the Lithium Hosting thread in SA-Mart. He can probably setup the Wordpress install for you and then you really won't need to mess with the backend hosting stuff at all. Almost all hosts use cPanel which is extremely popular and therefore has tons of documentation.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2818800

I would just use the $10/yr plan to start out. I've been using them for almost 3 years now, no complaints.

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have a ton of cables for things like computers, consoles, power cords, etc that I want to keep around especially if I need it, but I have no closet. Is there something I can use to contain a bunch of cables (that aren't being directly used) that doesn't look like poo poo in a room?

I could just tie them up individually and throw them in a box but a cardboard box doesn't look as nice.

Been wanting to do this but I am lazy:

http://pinterest.com/pin/9429480441268124/

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I have about $10 on some prepaid credit cards, and I'd like to cash them out so I can throw them away and quit worrying about them. I thought about paypal, but they don't allow you to send money to yourself and I'd prefer not to make a second account just for this. Any suggestions?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

stubblyhead posted:

I have about $10 on some prepaid credit cards, and I'd like to cash them out so I can throw them away and quit worrying about them. I thought about paypal, but they don't allow you to send money to yourself and I'd prefer not to make a second account just for this. Any suggestions?

Buy amazon gift certificates with the prepaids. You can name the amount, so it's a good way to clean out the last penny from multiple prepaid cards. Send the amazon certificates to yourself or sell them at SAmart.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Somehow I have a file on Dropbox that's not getting synched properly. My desktop and my Android phone show the proper version, but my laptop and Android tablet do not. What could be causing this?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Mak0rz posted:

Why in the hell does clicking on the "Play All" link for a YouTube playlist never ever begins with the first video?

Do you have shuffle turned on?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Noni posted:

Buy amazon gift certificates with the prepaids. You can name the amount, so it's a good way to clean out the last penny from multiple prepaid cards. Send the amazon certificates to yourself or sell them at SAmart.

Worked perfectly, thanks!

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I vaguely remember a movie with a name beginning with a 'K' that was nothing but music and scenes of landscapes without dialog or people. I kinda want to say something like Korpalaanki but nothing remotely like that has been useful in googling it. This ring a bell for anyone?

edit: Thanks. SA is the best reference desk

E4C85D38 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 4, 2012

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Koyaanisqatsi

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

E4C85D38 posted:

I vaguely remember a movie with a name beginning with a 'K' that was nothing but music and scenes of landscapes without dialog or people. I kinda want to say something like Korpalaanki but nothing remotely like that has been useful in googling it. This ring a bell for anyone?

Koyaanisqatsi. Never saw it myself, but I hear it's nice.

efb

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

If you like(d) Koyaanisqatsi, check to see if Samsara is still playing in any cinema near you. Awesome awesome awesome to see on a big-screen (or, even better, in 4k, if you're lucky enough to be near that).

Travakian fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 4, 2012

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
A few more like that are Baraka and Ashes and Snow, though I have seen neither they're always mentioned in the same breath as Koyaanisqatsi so if you ever want to have a marathon of films that remind you there is so much to live for, there you go.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Liebfraumilch posted:

A few more like that are Baraka and Ashes and Snow, though I have seen neither they're always mentioned in the same breath as Koyaanisqatsi so if you ever want to have a marathon of films that remind you there is so much to live for, there you go.

Haven't heard of the latter, though Baraka is by the same director as Samsara, who was the DP on Koyaanisqatsi. He's got this habit of building some of the camera setups they use to shoot-- dude knows his craft.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Travakian posted:

Haven't heard of the latter, though Baraka is by the same director as Samsara, who was the DP on Koyaanisqatsi. He's got this habit of building some of the camera setups they use to shoot-- dude knows his craft.

I grabbed this from Ashes and Snow on a whim because I liked it so much:

The film seems to be a whole lot more of that. Humans among cheetahs, elephants, hawks. Gorgeous stuff. My fiance is the one who told me about it, confessing if I ever caught him up late at night staring at his monitor in a way I'd be jealous of, it's because he's watching this film. And I believe him on that. :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Warning: Baraka has some freaky poo poo in it. Not seen the others mentioned.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
Refresh my memory.
I recall reading at one point about a religion who believed that certain people, who have accomplished certain extraordinary things, should, and in fact are (by these people) worshiped as gods or saints (one of these).

I remember Edward Jenner (the smallpox guy) being on this list of people 'worthy of worship', and I would be interested in reading more.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Install Gentoo posted:

The important thing is, what upload speed did they offer versus the upload speed your cable co has? Often that's where the real speed increase will be.

That's the worst part, the uplink is 896 kbps.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
What are some good (ideally mainstream) titles that are available on both PC and Mac, so my boyfriend and I can play together- we love us some co-op, but he has a PS3, I've a 360... poo poo's rough. He has a Macbook... Pro? I think? So they can't be too intensive in regards to the graphics and computing. I'm not really a computer guy.

We're into shooters mostly, but an RTS or RPG ain't too bad neither.

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 4, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Synonymous posted:

What are some good (ideally mainstream) titles that are available on both PC and Mac, so my boyfriend and I can play together- we love us some co-op, but he has a PS3, I've a 360... poo poo's rough. He has a Macbook... Pro? I think? So they can't be too intensive in regards to the graphics and computing. I'm not really a computer guy.

I like co-op and shooters, but don't have any experience with OSX games, sorry. There's a Recommend me a Game thread in Games which it might be worth cross-posting this to, though.

There might be some split-screen games on the PS3 or 360 you could play. There's also Portal 2, which is not a shooter but is a lot of fun in co-op and supports all four of the platforms mentioned.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
What is wrong with our clothes dryer?

So, around three months ago, the heating element in the dryer burned out. Whatever, stuff burns out after so long. We took that opportunity to clear our the exhaust tube figuring that may have played a part in it possibly overheating. Fast forward to last week, heating element goes out again. Guy at the parts shop said it probably overheated since the new ones are designed to automatically go out if they become too hot to prevent fires. So we looked at the exhaust tube again, we had missed a whole bunch of lint at one end. Alright, so maybe it overheated. This time the tube was fully taken off and completely cleared out. A new element was put in, but instead of lasting around 3 months, this time it lasted a whole 3 spin cycles. Now what in the heck could be causing this to happen? If it's overheating again it's definitely not because of a blocked exhaust.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Do you have shuffle turned on?

Nope. It usually starts on the fourth video, but sometimes begins on the 8th.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Synonymous posted:

You should get Steam and then get Portal 2 and the Left4Dead games. They are available for both Windows and OSX.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Went to a party last night with mixed company. How do I get the smell of cheap beer, cigarettes, and Bohemians out of my jacket without washing it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

You should get Steam and then get Portal 2 and the Left4Dead games. They are available for both Windows and OSX.

Actually, yeah, do a search on Steam for Type: Games, OS: SteamPlay, Category: Co-Op and you'll get all the games that support both OSX and Windows (that's the "SteamPlay" part) and have a co-op mode. It's a pretty short list, though. :(

You could also look into older games that support co-op and have open-source implementations these days - DXX-Rebirth (Descent 1 and 2), Aleph One (Marathon trilogy), gzDoom (Doom, Doom 2, and related games), and eDuke32 (Duke Nukem 3D) all support co-op and should run on both OSX and Windows, for starters.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 4, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Amused to Death posted:

What is wrong with our clothes dryer?

I'd suspect a blockage inside the dryer, or maybe an issue with the internal fan.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Raimundus posted:

Went to a party last night with mixed company. How do I get the smell of cheap beer, cigarettes, and Bohemians out of my jacket without washing it?

Febreeze it and leave it hanging outside for a few hours.

Amused to Death posted:

If it's overheating again it's definitely not because of a blocked exhaust.

You're cleaning out the lint trap regularly too, right?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Raimundus posted:

What type of jacket? Your only real option with not washing is covering up the smell. Febreeze might help.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

What type of jacket?

Fleece, hooded jacket with fuzzy inner lining.

My jeans smell the same way. It's quite potent.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Why can't you wash it?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Cakefool posted:

Why can't you wash it?

I can, but I won't if I don't have to. The party smell is the only thing wrong with it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Washing fleece is really not a big deal if you follow the care instructions. Most people seem to ruin their fleece jackets by drying on hight heat.

Or are you feeling too lazy to put it in the washing machine?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Not lazy, just nervous. I've had too many jackets come out of the wash deformed.

Maybe I'll hang it up to dry instead.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I can't connect to my secure WiFi network with my Android phone. The "Connect" button is blanked out and does not respond. When I unsecure my network, however, I can connect. My WiFi worked perfectly well with my previous Android phone. What is going on here?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 4, 2012

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

axolotl farmer posted:

I just recieved a phonecall from a number in California. When I answered all I got was a repeating message that said 'push one to register your phone', so I hung up.

What was going on here? I'm in Sweden, and I know just one person who could be calling me from CA, and it wasn't them.

Pretty well what the other guy said, the age of VOIP means that area code registration is pretty well pointless now. Other VOIP services based out of california include Skype, MagicJack, etc. etc. Google voice is at least good enough that they usually have the message 'this number is used for Google voice and doesn't terminate in any one end user'.

Subway Ninja
Aug 24, 2005

I swear I saw this functionality on YouTube at some point, but it's eluding me at the moment. For the record I am definitely not a YouTube pro.

How do I go about viewing things such as "Most viewed of all time" & "Most viewed in the category of..."?

I could have sworn these were links on the front page at some point, but I can't find them. Hell, I can't even really find a front page, everything seems to be in strangely crafted "Topics" that don't seem to follow any specific order.

Also, I think I inadvertently changed a setting somewhere, as I no longer have page numbers showing up at the bottom of channels. There is a "Load More" button in its place, and I can't figure out what I must have changed...it's quite annoying.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Well, this seems to be what you're after, though I don't think it's accessible through the front page anymore. I'm not sure about the page numbers. YouTube has done a number of site redesigns in the last few years, each one making it a lot harder for me to navigate.

Subway Ninja
Aug 24, 2005

TheGame posted:

Well, this seems to be what you're after, though I don't think it's accessible through the front page anymore. I'm not sure about the page numbers. YouTube has done a number of site redesigns in the last few years, each one making it a lot harder for me to navigate.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. Must be fairly well hidden, because I couldn't find a direct link to it anywhere.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

shelper posted:

Refresh my memory.
I recall reading at one point about a religion who believed that certain people, who have accomplished certain extraordinary things, should, and in fact are (by these people) worshiped as gods or saints (one of these).

I remember Edward Jenner (the smallpox guy) being on this list of people 'worthy of worship', and I would be interested in reading more.

Kind of a long shot but maybe Cao Dai. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cao_Dai They have a lot of weird saints like Victor Hugo, Shakespeare and Sun Yat Sen. But as far as I know, Edward Jenner isn't one of their saints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Scaramouche posted:

Pretty well what the other guy said, the age of VOIP means that area code registration is pretty well pointless now. Other VOIP services based out of california include Skype, MagicJack, etc. etc. Google voice is at least good enough that they usually have the message 'this number is used for Google voice and doesn't terminate in any one end user'.

I googled the number, and found that other people overseas have received calls from it at odd time of the day.

It's (213) 256 0525, btw.

Still don't know what the scam is, not calling back to find out :tipshat: