Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Has anyone tried reading PDFs on the Paperwhite? It's a pretty awful experience on the Kindle Touch but maybe the higher resolution makes it better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mistermojo posted:

Has anyone tried reading PDFs on the Paperwhite? It's a pretty awful experience on the Kindle Touch but maybe the higher resolution makes it better?

The few PDFs I have do benefit a lot from the higher res, mostly because it means small text is displayed clearer in them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I had my friend load up one of the vSphere lab PDFs on his PW and take a pic:

Looks pretty decent. I got the ship notification that Amazon is sending my PW to my USA friend who is then sending it on to me. Once I have it I'll take a few more pics of more complex PDFs if nobody has by then.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
It seems like the Kindle is finally coming to Japan in December, as is the Kindle fire. The Japanese Amazon site has a ton of Japanese books already prepared for Kindle versions, so it should be interesting to see.

drat shame they couldn't have gotten it earlier than the Kobo's release earlier this year, which was a complete mess. I heard so many negative things about how Rakuten handled it, and apparently the machine itself was buggy and difficult to use. Kind of sullied the name of e-readers, and I knew several people who were waiting for the localized Kindle but gave up and just bought the Kobo.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

mistermojo posted:

PDFs work a lot better in landscape mode, I use them on my Kindle Keyboard fairly often.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Original_Z posted:

drat shame they couldn't have gotten it earlier than the Kobo's release earlier this year, which was a complete mess. I heard so many negative things about how Rakuten handled it, and apparently the machine itself was buggy and difficult to use. Kind of sullied the name of e-readers, and I knew several people who were waiting for the localized Kindle but gave up and just bought the Kobo.

That's probably what to expect in the beginning, the firmware Kobo has released lately have more or less ironed out those issues, and the new Kobo Glo looks like a formidable opponent to Amazon's offering. What I'd be more worried about are the japanese publishers: Are they gonna jump on the ebook bandwagon?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Rexroom posted:

That's probably what to expect in the beginning, the firmware Kobo has released lately have more or less ironed out those issues, and the new Kobo Glo looks like a formidable opponent to Amazon's offering. What I'd be more worried about are the japanese publishers: Are they gonna jump on the ebook bandwagon?

There's plenty of Japanese books and manga on the Amazon store, and Japanese e-bookstore apps are also easily available for iOS/Android. The Amazon store even has English-language books available.

Prices aren't that great though, especially in a culture where used books are everywhere and degrade list prices like crazy.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
I've only had the Paperwhite for a few days now but I've managed to do something annoying multiple times. When trying to go forward one page, it somehow jumps multiple pages, sometimes 7 or 8 pages. Has this happened to anyone?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

thecallahan posted:

I've only had the Paperwhite for a few days now but I've managed to do something annoying multiple times. When trying to go forward one page, it somehow jumps multiple pages, sometimes 7 or 8 pages. Has this happened to anyone?

This probably means you are swiping up or down, which is supposed to take you to the next "chapter" break, but some ebooks just have weird breaks in seemingly random places.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Original_Z posted:

Prices aren't that great though, especially in a culture where used books are everywhere and degrade list prices like crazy.

Yeah, thank god they put a stop to that poo poo here in the US. :(

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Just got my PW today (after my Kindle 3 Keyboard's screen died), and I'm loving it so far. The not-backlight is amazing, and it just feels really good overall. Sandy can knock the power out now for all I care, I'll read in the dark :mmmsmug:

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Anyone with PW's having color splotches?

Seems like a big problem over on mobilereads. One guy went through 4 replacements so far. Wish some of them would post some pics though.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194935

Edit:

Oh, there is discussion about that Norweigan Kindle user who had their account disabled. Apparently there was no remote wipe. And her account was reactivated for some reason.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194580

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 28, 2012

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Sperg Victorious posted:

Anyone with PW's having color splotches?

Seems like a big problem over on mobilereads. One guy went through 4 replacements so far. Wish some of them would post some pics though.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194935
Either I got lucky with my kindle pw from best buy, or these people are seriously group thinking a minor thing in to a big loving deal. I can see a tiny place where things are a bit pinker than everything else if I crank the brightness in a dark room, but why the gently caress would you? Used as intended, it looks fine to me.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Looks like this might be a real issue in some cases.

Amazon customer photo.

Top is color samples from the image around a neutral gray strip.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Today I saw an entire family sitting in a cafe, reading their own Kindles. I thought it was pretty crazy because they just weren't talking.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Odette posted:

Today I saw an entire family sitting in a cafe, reading their own Kindles. I thought it was pretty crazy because they just weren't talking.

This how we get to THX 1138.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Odette posted:

Never seen a group of people reading books before? Baby boomers like to write articles about how teens have their noses buried in their phones all the time but the fact is people never really spent every moment together talking.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vertigus posted:

Never seen a group of people reading books before?

No? Who gets together to read books with each other?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No? Who gets together to read books with each other?

Book clubs? Families that have reading days/nights? People that like to read? Students?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Duckman2008 posted:

Book clubs? Families that have reading days/nights? People that like to read? Students?

They discuss together. Manson Family. No. Too busy boning.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Odette posted:

This type of sight has been incredibly common to me the last few years just from the popularity of iPhones and laptops.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
That's a really pathetic sight, if you really hate each other so much then just stay at home and order take out or whatever.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

El Hefe posted:

That's a really pathetic sight, if you really hate each other so much then just stay at home and order take out or whatever.

Yeah, mutual hate is the only explanation. :rolleyes:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I love goons.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Except you're reading about them and not talking to them, so I can only conclude that you do not and in fact despise them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm thinking about reading a book in the same room as my father later this week; I'd like to know if that's okay or whether that says something about my relationship with him. Please let me know so I can adjust my schedule accordingly.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Guys I think my marriage is in trouble. :smith: Sometimes when my wife and I are at home alone, we look at the television instead of each other, sometimes even for a couple of hours at a time.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
There's a difference between doing that at home and doing it when you're out of your house in a restaurant, I'm sorry if it offends you but if you go out with your girlfriend, wife, or family and you all spend the evening staring at a book / electronic device without talking to each other then you have problems.

El Hefe fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 28, 2012

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Wait, it's goony to think you should maybe talk to your family when you're out at dinner? I'm trying to keep track but that doesn't sound right :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RVProfootballer posted:

Wait, it's goony to think you should maybe talk to your family when you're out at dinner? I'm trying to keep track but that doesn't sound right :(

It's pretty drat goony to think the only possible reason people would not be talking at a given moment is that they hate each other.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

It's pretty drat goony to think the only possible reason people would not be talking at a given moment is that they hate each other.

Ah, got it. Yeah, interpreting the emotional subtext of social situations can be difficult for some people. Goony goon as hell.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The last few replies have been great. I love goons. :allears:

I just thought it was really strange that a touristy family would choose to have a Sunday brunch in a packed cafe.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
When I'm angry sometimes I read at people.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

El Hefe posted:

There's a difference between doing that at home and doing it when you're out of your house in a restaurant, I'm sorry if it offends you but if you go out with your girlfriend, wife, or family and you all spend the evening staring at a book / electronic device without talking to each other then you have problems.

Every time I go to the cafe to drink coffee and read the newspaper for an hour with someone I make sure to talk as loudly as possible to avoid the negative social stigma.

I worked at a coffee shop for a year and let me tell you, every group of people that came in was basically just a riotous fount of intense conversation. There were hundreds of occasions where I saw couples come in just to drink tea and read and I had to usher them out in order to save them the embarrassment.

Zombietoof posted:

I'm thinking about reading a book in the same room as my father later this week; I'd like to know if that's okay or whether that says something about my relationship with him. Please let me know so I can adjust my schedule accordingly.

It's ok as long as nobody is serving you food. If that's the case, you both need family counseling. I know that helped me a lot in college when I found myself at a pizza place with a friend and we were both studying quietly for different tests.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 28, 2012

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

El Hefe posted:

I'm sorry if it offends you but if you go out with your girlfriend, wife, or family and you all spend the evening staring at a book / electronic device without talking to each other then you have problems.

What? My boyfriend and I go out to cafés/bookstores/whatever and both quietly read our own books all the time. Reading is a mutual interest and going somewhere to read is a nice way to spend time together.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Just got a paperwhite, and it's been pretty awesome, but I can't seem to find a Chinese-English dictionary. Does anyone know of one? Alternatively, has anyone tried installing Doukan on the paperwhite?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

minute posted:

Just got a paperwhite, and it's been pretty awesome, but I can't seem to find a Chinese-English dictionary. Does anyone know of one? Alternatively, has anyone tried installing Doukan on the paperwhite?

Supposedly Kindle Touch compatible hacks will work on the Paperwhite, but I don't think any of them can control the backlight.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

minute posted:

Here's a bunch of Chinese/English info for the Kindle. Though, it may or may not work on the PW.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

SB35 posted:

Here's a bunch of Chinese/English info for the Kindle. Though, it may or may not work on the PW.

Yep I saw that. Two of the "Chinese-English" dictionaries he links to are actually English-Chinese and the third one is a broken link. Tried installing the Kindle Touch version of Duokan, but my Kindle's not booting into the diagnostic menu on reboot. :/

Edit: In case anyone is interested, I ended up making a mobi version of CC-CEDICT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/47saz9zt9mef5v7/CC-CEDICT.mobi

minute fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
With Christmas coming up, I'm thinking about getting an E-Reader since I sure do love books but don't have the space for all of them. I read the OP and from that would go with a Nook since I can hit the library up with it, but I'm interested in the opinions of people who know their poo poo when it comes to electronics.