Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
So I've just upgraded to a Galaxy Note 2 from my old HTC legend because it kept crashing and becoming unresponsive. It's awesome but I want something to manage my music library properly - I'd like to keep my audiobooks out of the 'all songs' list so I just get music when I stick it on random. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

gender illusionist posted:

So I've just upgraded to a Galaxy Note 2 from my old HTC legend because it kept crashing and becoming unresponsive. It's awesome but I want something to manage my music library properly - I'd like to keep my audiobooks out of the 'all songs' list so I just get music when I stick it on random. Any suggestions?

You can get a third party music player (like poweramp) which lets you specify specific folder for your music (assuming your audiobooks and music are in separate folders).

Alternatively adding a .nomedia file into the audio books directories will prevent them being seen, although that might not be an option if you're using the default music app to play the audiobooks.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Poweramp sounds ideal, cheers.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
Other than randomly telling me the weather occasionally, Google Now does poo poo all for me.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Chrome just got updated, but it still feels slower than the stock browser on the GS3.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Steriletom posted:

Other than randomly telling me the weather occasionally, Google Now does poo poo all for me.

Are you outside of the United States? I'm in Canada, and I had to check "Use Google.com" under the search settings for Now.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

Geektox posted:

Are you outside of the United States? I'm in Canada, and I had to check "Use Google.com" under the search settings for Now.

Yep, in Canada. Just checked it off. Thanks!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Does AIX not have stty? Otherwise:
code:
stty erase ^?

Holy poo poo. This is why I love goons.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
What's the best way to batch merge all facebook contacts with google and google+ contacts?

edit: on an SIII

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Why do I get a notification within Swiftkey if I leave open my messaging app? It tells me to choose an input method, which I already have (Swiftkey).

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Lblitzer posted:

Why do I get a notification within Swiftkey if I leave open my messaging app? It tells me to choose an input method, which I already have (Swiftkey).
That is the way they expose the ability to change keyboards now (on ICS and Jelly Bean), rather than requiring a longpress on the text entry area.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Looking for an app that will notify me immediately when new posts are made in a specific RSS folder in Google Reader. Any suggestions?

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Lblitzer posted:

It shouldn't do it if you leave the app open. It happens when your keyboard is in view as that's how you change it.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Forever_Peace posted:

What's the best way to batch merge all facebook contacts with google and google+ contacts?

edit: on an SIII

I usually tell people just to import them in, and then cull the duplicates and extraneous ones on the Google Contacts site.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
My phone finally got the big upgrade... to ICS. Yeah, the plight of the free phone.

Any apps I need to know about for the new OS?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Anyone able to recommend an app that will let me track packages from multiple package carriers on the same screen?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ceros_X posted:

Anyone able to recommend an app that will let me track packages from multiple package carriers on the same screen?

Parcels.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

Recommending this as well. I've been using it for the past year and it's great with notifications and everything. The only thing I'm :tinfoil: about is putting in my Amazon login info for those items, but you can easily enter those packages with the tracking number they email you.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Tunga posted:

UK. I think these are coming from old small dumbphones, hence why they don't just email me.
As far as I can tell, a reason for this problem can be placed on the iPhone.

A friend of mine likes to take lots of pictures and share them, and all I got, most of the times, was a media player-like Play button and the 5 sec view of the picture. A few times though, it would show up as a normal picture in the SMS app.

We did some tests from his iPhone to my stock Nexus S, and when he sent a text with a picture, there were two ways he could send it, embedded and as an attachment.
One of those would work like a real MMS in the stock Android SMS app and the other would require the media player to show it. Can't remember which method worked how.

I installed GO SMS as that would handle both types fine, but as that app ended up as bloatware central, I'm now running stock SMS again and told my friend that he should email me the pics instead.
I'm going to check out Chomp SMS, as right now, the only thing that annoys me, is the speed of the SMS app when looking up names in the thread list.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
edit: Wrong thread.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Lemons posted:

If I'm connected to bluetooth, I can't get any voice recognition to work in Google Now. Using the voice recognition keyboard works, but Google Now just sits there saying "Initializing". Works perfectly when not connected to bluetooth.

Annoying.

My experience is that it does this for every other attempt. The other half of the attempts work find, but don't use the bluetooth microphone but rather the regular one. Very odd.

Speaking of weird bluetooth behavior, I just noticed the youtube app has a button to toggle playback between phone speakers and BT speakers, and this setting applies to other apps (like my podcast playing app)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Because of the performance problems with the Facebook app.. I've uninstalled it for now, will just use the mobile website until they sort it out.

I could however do with an easy uploading app, that just uploads photos Facebook (and maybe other services) gracefully... Any suggestions? Minimalist preferred

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Remember how I complained that three suggestions weren't enough for the stock 4.2 keyboard? Long press on the middle suggestion for suggestions 4-18. :v:

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 4, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Remember how I complained that three suggestions weren't enough for the stock 4.2 keyboard? Long press on the middle suggestion for suggestions 4-18. :v:
This isn't new.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

This isn't new.
I don't doubt that but as someone who last used the stock keyboard when it was Eclair, it was new to me when I was bitching that a swipe keyboard with only three suggestions was worthless and no one mentioned it at the time. At the very least the two people who agreed with me probably don't know about it and I'm assuming everyone who did know has me on ignore.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I don't doubt that but as someone who last used the stock keyboard when it was Eclair, it was new to me when I was bitching that a swipe keyboard with only three suggestions was worthless and no one mentioned it at the time. At the very least the two people who agreed with me probably don't know about it and I'm assuming everyone who did know has me on ignore.

It was news to me. But, I'm like you and haven't used the stock keyboard for the last couple years for anything beyond enter me username and password to install Swype.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I'm currently using the stock web browser for my Galaxy nexus. Are there any other browsers that you guys think are better? Just curious. :)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Chrome is really nice, especially if you (switch to) use it on your desktop too, since it can sync tabs and login info and bookmarks if you want.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
"Hey let's put the backspace key right on top of the enter key" - Swype developer

Switching back to the old way before I send more random one word texts like "Adihago" and "Never"

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 4, 2012

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, does enabling Location Reporting really lead to that much extra battery drain? I know it causes a gently caress-ton of wakelocks, but are they substantial enough to be noticed?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It causes a noticeable hit for me on the Nexus S

This is my day with about an hour of screen on time but without actually opening Maps

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I have a party tomorrow and have created myself a Spotify playlist and have enabled the 30 days premium trial.

What recommendations do you have for a remote control app that I can use to browse/control the playlist from by phone in the backyard?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Does Chrome just sync your tabs whenever the gently caress it feels like it? Right now it says "last synced 9 hours ago" and it doesn't seem to want to refresh. It might have to do with me being connected to my wifi. Sending things with chrome to phone sometimes seems to be noticeably delayed if I'm connected to my wifi, but not always.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Does Chrome just sync your tabs whenever the gently caress it feels like it? Right now it says "last synced 9 hours ago" and it doesn't seem to want to refresh. It might have to do with me being connected to my wifi. Sending things with chrome to phone sometimes seems to be noticeably delayed if I'm connected to my wifi, but not always.
I've seen the same in my usage which makes relying on synced tabs not worth the headache.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I've seen the same in my usage which makes relying on synced tabs not worth the headache.

I see the same thing only when I've recently installed a new instance of Chrome on a PC or on a phone. For some reason, for some unknown amount of time, around the time you have a new installation, sync gets slow and weird.

After awhile it just starts happening pretty much instantaneously.

It's weird.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

After awhile it just starts happening pretty much instantaneously.

It's weird.
Yeah, most of the time it's instantaneous (or drat near), but other times it just does what the gently caress it wants.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Is there any way to show an S Voice timer again after the screen goes off on an S3? I can't figure out how to retrieve it. It doesn't appear to be using the standard "clock" app accessible through the app menu. "Show timer" and "open timer" aren't turning anything up either. Is it just gone for good until the alarm goes off?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

Is there any way to show an S Voice timer again after the screen goes off on an S3? I can't figure out how to retrieve it. It doesn't appear to be using the standard "clock" app accessible through the app menu. "Show timer" and "open timer" aren't turning anything up either. Is it just gone for good until the alarm goes off?

On my Note 2, I just open up S Voice and it's right there on the screen.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

On my Note 2, I just open up S Voice and it's right there on the screen.

Strangely, this is how the S3 seems to work as well, but only until the screen turns off. Sleep mode seems to clear the entire S voice history, and even commands relevant to the timer (like "stop timer" or "reset timer") don't seem to work. But the timer will still go off at the correct time.

If this is just a bug on the S3, can anyone recommend a minimalist timer/stopwatch app that recognizes voice commands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
At the moment I have the lock-screen/security on my SGS3 set up for swipe then pin to unlock. I also have it to lock immediately if I press the power-button.

What I want to happen is that the phone will always require me to swipe it on wake, but only require the pin if it has been locked for a certain amount of time.

Is this possible with an app? I can't seem to find the correct settings in android itself.

• Locked thread