Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I like the idea of the Super Rule 5 Draft but that would also us being able to know who is available and I am not sure if Smasher wants more work. Still if Smasher is up for it.

Also, maybe we could do something with the chaff of feeder teams, like once you line ups are locked in, you can make 3 waiver claims off a feeder team that has been used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
We'd probably get more views if we did Super-League Wrestling. Would anyone want to be part of that?

Super-League VII, Smasher League Week 20: Lonely and Depressed

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

MCDOWELL DENIES LANDERS TV TITLE

Moonbase 0-2- The Landers were rolling, and were just one win away from taking the Television Title from the Eazy W's.

And then Jack McDowell happened.

Before the game began, McDowell addressed the Luna crowd, "My name is Jack McDowell. Normally, I like to really break down a team. I like to pitch a few innings, let me team build up a good head of steam, and then send in Yoshida, to prove just how outclassed the other team is. It's fun for me, fun for my team, not as much fun for the rest of you guys, but, hey, can't please everybody." McDowell shook his head.

"Today, though, today is different. See, we lost the first two games of this series, and if we lose today, then we lose the Television Title and, really, I'd rather not have that happen. Not that the title is worth anything, it's just we don't want teams to think that they can get anything from us. Anyway, that being the case, we will not be using Ms. Yoshida today. Because, thanks to the Landers' unfortunate choice to try and actually beat us, we have to actually try and win this game. Personally, I'm disappointed with them, but I suppose that something can't be helped. Okay, enough talk, time to die."

McDowell then went on to pitch seven innings of one-run ball, which was just enough to give his W's a 2-1 win. This result infuriated mrnoun, "I'm not CthulhuDreams, I don't pretend that I can just assemble my team on a spreadsheet and then am entitled to 100 wins. But what the gently caress has happened here? I can't get past the loving Bobbleheads, even when half of their lineup has been awful and they're relying on Jason Schmidt as an anchor in their rotation, and now I can't even beat Jack McDowell? This shouldn't be happening! While I'm on the subject, I'd like to respond to mooseontheloose's assertion that I would break into people's houses to steal their children for sacrificial purposes. While I admit that I am definitely in the child sacrificing business, as that is the only way to bring the spirit of prog rock back into this world, the economic reality is that it is far cheaper to import unwanted babies from China for sacrifice. And before you get on me about outsourcing jobs that Americans could be doing to China, I blame the president's burdensome regulation of child sacrifices for forcing me to look outside of the country for child sacrifices. Okay? Great."

Box Score

Don May posted:

REMORSELESS BOBBLEHEADS KILL TED SOX 6-2

Brookline- The Bobbleheads are all out of mercy.

The Ted Sox looked like they might escape with an upset win, leading 2-0 after seven innings thanks to a great performance by Nolan Ryan. But the Bobbleheads weren't beaten, they were just waiting. And when Moose put in Scott Downs for relief in the top of the eighth inning, the Bobbleheads struck, scoring six runs over the next two innings and walking away with a 6-2 win.

Mark Grace, captain emeritus of the Bobbleheads, did not seem particularly upset about breaking the Ted Sox's hearts. "All I've heard recently is whining. 'Oh, the old owners are stagnant, and they need to be brought down so that the new owners have a chance' gently caress the new owners. What have they done for the Super-League? Let's be honest, things were better back in the old days, when the Skyhawks and Vigilantes were around and Koop still did stuff for the thread. Nowadays, all we have are assholes who think they're hot poo poo and get pissy when their team loses 100 games because they put A.J Burnett in their rotation of dumbass poo poo like that. Here's a loving newsflash, most new teams get killed after their first season, don't they? It's because they're so loving terrible that they deserve to die so that another crappy new team can get its fair shot. gently caress reform. The Super-League would be better off if it just accepted that most new owners aren't going to be successful in their rookie season. It's just the way things are."

mooseontheloose had a different take, "Mark Grace says he's a good owner, but what does he say about your teams? Mark Grace was recently quoted as saying that new owners 'are assholes', and that the new teams 'deserve to die'. He's even said that 'new teams...don't...deserve...a fair shot.' Is this really an owner we want in the Super-League? After all, Mark Grace also told reporters that 'new owners...suc...k. Is this really the champion the Super-League deserves? Write to your local commissar and tell him you want a change. My name is mooseontheloose and I approve this message."

Box Score

Don May posted:

POTATOES END ALL HOPE FOR COMANCHEROS, WIN 10-7 IN 10

Moscow- This story is over, because sometimes, one game is enough.

When a terrible team like the Potates score ten runs over the last four innings of a game, and when Sam Horn, of all people, hits a three-run game-winning home run against, then you know that it's all loving over.

Warm Sarsaparilla, dumbfounded by this turn of events, "loving gently caress fuckers! Okay, well, these bunch of cocksuckers are just loving hosed, then, aren't they? This is all just loving hosed up here. What the gently caress am I going to loving do about my loving team? Well, I have one loving idea, that's for sure. I am officially invoking my right under Article 73 of the loving Super-League Charter to restructure my teams as of the end of this season. As per Super-League precedent, as established in the bullshit cases of cbx v. All that is Fair and Just, a Super-League owner, should he own more than one franchise, may restructure them in between any seasons. In addition, according to the dicta of that case, Smasher said that it would be unlikely that he would ever kill two teams owned by the same owner in any season. As you can loving see, the Comancheros and Radbourns may be hosed, but the Coburns...well, they're just getting started!

The Coburns (proposed logo)

"And let me tell you something, motherfuckers, you'd best not gently caress with a team named after James loving Coburn."

As for the Potatoes, they are still awful people, and left after the game to go see a Dane Cook standup performance. This was troubling on two levels. First, because they went to see Cook, and, second, that Dane Cook is still making a living off of his comedy-like routine. All in all, a very dispiriting day in Moscow, a town so depressing that it makes its namesake, a cold, gray city ruled by autocrats and Bolsheviks for centuries, seem like a magical land of wonderment in comparison.

Box Score

Numbers: I'm sorry that Ryan Braun still sucks

Analysis

The Bobbleheads manage to split with the Landers this week. That's not great, but it could be a lot worse. They won't play the Landers again until the last series of the season.

Analysis

A good week. As you have acknowledged, it's going to be tough for them to survive, but it's not hopeless.

Analysis

Assuming we have at least one team drop out of the Expansion Cup, which is a fair assumption, the Coburns will be given a chance. We'll work out the exact composition of the team later. I'm think the Radbourns' hitters and the Comancheros' pitchers, basically.

Analysis

The Phoenixes aren't that good of a team. In fact, I plan on putting the strongest new team in the division next season to prove that Expansion teams can succeed. I'm sure that will backfire on me horribly.

Analysis

Since the Mooglies already got an obit back in Super-League I, do I have to give them another one?

Analysis

I wonder if this team could have been saved by a better rotation.

Analysis

Ugh.

Analysis

A split isn't great, but you're still just one good week away from taking the division lead.

Analysis

And now you will pay for your sins by playing the Bobbleheads and Landers consecutively and on the road.

Analysis

So...uh...how's the next EC update going?

Analysis

Hold on, it's going to get better some day.

Analysis

Given how badly the Mooglies and Bulldogs are doing, I might allow some talent to transfer.

Analysis

I didn't realize how much the Johnson-Rice trade had caused the engine to jumble your lineup until I was doing this update. Then again, I can't imagine you mind donating a couple of wins to the Superstars that much.

Analysis

Playing the Bobbleheads and Landers hasn't done much for the W's record this much, not that it matters even a tiny bit at this point. Alexander would be back for the Super-League Finals.

Analysis

You guys are hanging in there, and avoiding the Gauntlet is still a possibility for you. Chin up, moose, it's not over yet.

Analysis

It is over for you, though.

Standings and Leaders

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Obviously I don't have a perfect grasp on things, but I think one of the big issues is depth: if I want to try to acquire a player without losing a starter, then I have to convince someone to take Norm Cash or Robin Roberts or someone off my hands. Top SL teams, though, often have guys on their bench that can improve an EC team. This makes it much easier for them to make up a package for elite talent, thus improving themselves even more.

Proposal(s): a hard roster cap, coupled with a waivers/DFA system

1) Institute a cap on the number of players on a roster (combined MLB + AAA). This can be 28, or a little bit higher to give some wiggle room. If at any time a team would have more players than the limit, they must cut (call it DFA for baseball flavor) some until they reach it

2) When a player is cut, if they are from that owner's feeder team then they are simply "returned" to the feeder. If not, then they are sent to the next Dispersal Draft.

3) Whenever a player is sent from MLB to the minors, they must pass through waivers. The waiver period will last until two days after the update in which the player was sent down (that is, the next update from that league). Y'all can figure out waiver priority on your own.

The waiver system would add a fair bit of overhead, and may not be needed, but I don't think the DFA system would be very difficult to administer--you only really need to check after unbalanced trades and at the start of a season. In return, it keeps a lid on teams' depth and also serves to filter players out of the league, which is important for keeping things fresh and making good feeders available.

e: This winds up being roughly the same concept as the Rule V idea, but I think incorporating it into the existing roster and draft rules is probably cleaner.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 3, 2012

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Luna Landers

Set our Steal rate back to +2.

Also, I totally called the "Bobbles fall back to Earth, Landers put together a run, and it all comes down to the last series of the season" scenario in chat a couple weeks ago.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
So, I'm hearing there's a lot of support for a Rule V type draft. Okay, here's what I think is a fair compromise. If a team keeps a player on his roster for an entire season without playing him for than say, 20 games, on his major league roster, then he'll be eligible for the Rule V draft, which we'll hold prior to the start of the next season. How about that?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
That sounds good. There's a lot of teams who have third-stringers who are better than a lot of EC backups!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Smasher Dynamo posted:

So, I'm hearing there's a lot of support for a Rule V type draft. Okay, here's what I think is a fair compromise. If a team keeps a player on his roster for an entire season without playing him for than say, 20 games, on his major league roster, then he'll be eligible for the Rule V draft, which we'll hold prior to the start of the next season. How about that?

20 games? Well, I'm suddenly glad I keep having short-term pitching injuries.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Analysis

The Phoenixes aren't that good of a team. In fact, I plan on putting the strongest new team in the division next season to prove that Expansion teams can succeed. I'm sure that will backfire on me horribly.

They really are quite mediocre. Old Brian Giles is my offensive star.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

This is pretty great.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, then, here's the proposal:

Super-League Rule V Draft

The following players will be eligible for the draft:

-Position Players who have appeared in 20 or fewer games over the preceding season

-Pitchers who have pitched 10 or fewer innings over the preceding season

-Each Team will be allowed to exempt one otherwise eligible player from the draft

-No team can be reduced to 28 or fewer players on their roster as a result of the draft

The draft order will be determined by:

-Record over the course of the Expansion Cup

-Record over the course of the preceding season

-Expansion Teams will be given priority in the draft

-The draft will last one round

Compensation

-Still working on that part

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
What about players who suffered a major injury and fell short of the requirements? If a team loses Babe Ruth for the season in the first week of the year, I don't think it's fair to that team to have to protect him from the Rule V draft and let someone else go.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Behold, the new and improved Elephants-Goose Egg anti-blockbuster:

:siren: Trade Alert :siren:

Goose Eggs receive:

'03 Ichiro Suzuki
'77 Dave LaRoche
'78 Luis Tiant

Elephants receive:

'58 Jim Bunning

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
2003 Ichiro isn't Baby Joe Carter who was about 3 seasons away from being a big time contributor. I'm okay with it if Smasher is.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Armitage posted:

2003 Ichiro isn't Baby Joe Carter who was about 3 seasons away from being a big time contributor. I'm okay with it if Smasher is.

I'm fine with it.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
I've been unexpectedly busy the last few days, but I'm definitely working on the next EC update.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eh, let's put this up for vote!

Official Super-League Referendum!

Proposition #1

Should the playoff system (eight divisions, no wildcards) be reformed? The best solution would be each league having three divisions with two wildcards.

A. Yes!

B. No!

Proposition #2

There has also been a talk about redistributing players from older teams to younger teams by various means. Would you prefer:

A. A Rule 5 Draft

B. A DFA system like the one proposed by Mornacale

C. No change at this time

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
You are all talking American with your Draft System thingymajiggies and I am officially lost...

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Okay lots of things

quote:

Lineup confusion!

Yeah all good

quote:

CBX being busy!

If you need a hand mate, I'm happy to produce updates for you, I have all the gear ready to go.

quote:

Playoff Reform!

Something with wildcards is good.

quote:

Rule 5 draft!

IMHO we're missing the point here: what's the problem? It's teams that are good, but not quite good enough hanging around for ages and clogging up the arteries of the system. In real life they'd eventually get broken up by free agency. Here they just hang around perpetually winning divisional titles and never getting anything else done. See: The Ezy Ws

Solution!

1) At the end of the season, you protect 28 guys and the rest go in the dispersal draft pool. If any are taken you get a compensation pick at the end of the 3rd round.

2) If a team hangs around with 2 seasons without winning anything they can protect 1 to 3 players (I think three is best, very good players will still go into the pool then) and then smasher picks 1 - 3 (number is fixed and decided in advance) guys from the roster. They go into the dispersal draft pool. You get a first round sandwich pick as compensation. For everything that win they get an extension on that - so a wildcard is worth 1 extra season, a divisional title another 1 season, a league championship another season.

Obviously if you win the div title without the wildcard you get 2 seasons but are ineligable for the wildcard extension.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Proposition #1
Should the playoff system (eight divisions, no wildcards) be reformed? The best solution would be each league having three divisions with two wildcards.

A. Yes!

Proposition #2

There has also been a talk about redistributing players from older teams to younger teams by various means. Would you prefer:

A. A Rule 5 Draft

casting my ballot!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Note: Referenda are not quite binding

Also, CthulhuDream's plan is kind of bizarre, in that it penalizes teams who are struggling to break into playoff contention, while sparing teams that are already contenders. That does not seem like the best way to level the playing field.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I still say split the divisions into old teams and new teams to prune the older teams back a little.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Senerio posted:

I still say split the divisions into old teams and new teams to prune the older teams back a little.

That is never going to happen. Besides, I checked it out, there has never been a season (past Super-League I) where the majority of playoff teams have been rookie franchises. It has never happened. What we're seeing this year is a lot of factors colliding that have widened the gap between rich and poor teams, but those will pass.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

quote:

Proposition #1

A. Yes!

Proposition #2

A. A Rule 5 Draft

Casting my vote as well.

As for balancing new vs old, I would say give all new owners 2 free challenges & limit the old franchises to one successful challenge per season; some of us have so much depth we can continually gamble & stockpile ** + *** players while the new owners want to get in on the action but really shouldn't be gambling what little depth they have to acquire middling-at-best talent.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

oldskool posted:

Casting my vote as well.

As for balancing new vs old, I would say give all new owners 2 free challenges & limit the old franchises to one successful challenge per season; some of us have so much depth we can continually gamble & stockpile ** + *** players while the new owners want to get in on the action but really shouldn't be gambling what little depth they have to acquire middling-at-best talent.

I don't want to have to do more challenges next season if I can avoid it.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I don't want to have to do more challenges next season if I can avoid it.

Theoretically, limiting those most likely to win challenges to one victory will severely diminish the challenges enough to offset the new teams getting free shots. You could also limit the new teams to their free challenges to lower that risk as well.

Alternately you could run a one-round draft instead of a sea of challenges.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Okay lots of things

Yeah all good

If you need a hand mate, I'm happy to produce updates for you, I have all the gear ready to go.

Something with wildcards is good.

IMHO we're missing the point here: what's the problem? It's teams that are good, but not quite good enough hanging around for ages and clogging up the arteries of the system. In real life they'd eventually get broken up by free agency. Here they just hang around perpetually winning divisional titles and never getting anything else done. See: The Ezy Ws

Solution!

1) At the end of the season, you protect 28 guys and the rest go in the dispersal draft pool. If any are taken you get a compensation pick at the end of the 3rd round.

2) If a team hangs around with 2 seasons without winning anything they can protect 1 to 3 players (I think three is best, very good players will still go into the pool then) and then smasher picks 1 - 3 (number is fixed and decided in advance) guys from the roster. They go into the dispersal draft pool. You get a first round sandwich pick as compensation. For everything that win they get an extension on that - so a wildcard is worth 1 extra season, a divisional title another 1 season, a league championship another season.

Obviously if you win the div title without the wildcard you get 2 seasons but are ineligable for the wildcard extension.

As a new player, I'm not really concerned that some teams are elite: not only is that to be expected, but great teams help to build the stories that make SuperLeague interesting. What concerns me is that there are mechanisms for great teams to get better--in fact, as I mentioned earlier, it's easier for established/great teams to make favorable trades than new teams--but really nothing limiting them (like a salary cap system) or making them worse (like aging). To be honest, I don't see my Bloggers competing at the top level without either getting lucky on something high-risk/high-reward or ripping off one or two trade partners. Which is fine because it's my first try and I like teambuilding much more than doing trades, but it's pretty daunting.

Now, of course, not all of these things are necessarily bugs, and this is just my take on things and there may be other issues. But certainly punishing the good-but-not-great teams is the exact opposite of solving the problem. Rather, we should be seeking to widen the band of such teams. Ultimately, if a rule doesn't either a) help bad teams get into that band or b) make elite teams work harder to stay above it, then it's not really helping.

re: the referendum, what would the playoff structure look like with 5 playoff teams per league?

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Proposition #1

A. Yes!

Proposition #2

I'm in favor of more teams making the playoffs, for purely selfish reasons.

As for Proposition 2, I know I supported the Rule 5 thing before, but when we went through the team list the other day, Smasher convinced me that there's a good chance this season is just a fluke. With a wildcard, suddenly about half the teams in the Dynamo League are still in the race. The Smasher League is far more lopsided, but Smasher pointed out that a number of older, established teams are struggling, making it look more lopsided than it is. I'd be willing to put off a decision for a season to gather more evidence.

That's probably an unpopular position, so in the likely event I get outvoted, I would prefer a draft system to a DFA system. The DFA system not only creates a lot of busywork for Smasher, its overly strict format makes larger scale trades somewhere between impractical and impossible. The six-player deal I made with Marauder last season to get Joe DiMaggio would have been impossible under the DFA rules, as neither I nor Marauder would have had the roster space to make the deal. Likewise, the George Brett trade I made a couple weeks ago never would have materialized, because I wouldn't have had the assets to trade for him--they'd have been DFA'd immediately after the draft. The only trades that would get made would be the small-scale, sideways, "neither team really gets better" type deals, and I think that'd make the league a lot less fun.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Proposition #1

A. Yes!

Proposition #2

A. A Rule 5 Draft

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009

Proposition #1

A. Yes!

Proposition #2

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

"And let me tell you something, motherfuckers, you'd best not gently caress with a team named after James loving Coburn."

Truer words were never spoken. This'll be glorious. (and saves me from trying to create a monstrosity on my own)

Proposition #1

A. Yes!

I like wildcards.

Proposition #2

A. A Rule 5 Draft

Sometimes the only way to rest players, given we play a week at a time, is by sending starters down. I'm not sure the draft would have a lot of gems in it, but if people feel strongly about it....

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Proposition #1

A. Yes!

Proposition #2

Wildcards have always worked well, even if they do give me an extra round of work for the pick-'em. As for proposition #2, I have reasons for preferring no change, but really I just completely agree with what mrnoun said a few posts up.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

gingemidget posted:

Proposition #1

A. Yes!

Proposition #2

Wildcards have always worked well, even if they do give me an extra round of work for the pick-'em. As for proposition #2, I have reasons for preferring no change, but really I just completely agree with what mrnoun said a few posts up.
If this season is a fluke, then we should let the next season with wild cards pan out before going nuts.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
[Vice City Goose Eggs

Yes to wild cards. Still thinking of how to even the playing field to make Smasher's life easier.

Of course my roster changes won't make his life easier. Luis Tiant takes Bunning's place in the rotation. Send Frank Lary to the most wonderful place on earth, AAA so Dave LaRoche can hopefully step in and be somewhat decent.

Ichiro Suzuki takes over in CF and leads off. Amos Otis moves to RF and bats 9th. Al 'Ow' Kaline rests on the bench this week and Rance Mullinicks goes to help the AAA team explore the deepest darkest parts of space. If he can get his Astro Cycle back, that is.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Smasher League Week 21 Injury Report

No new champions

Chicago Bobbleheads
Curt Schilling (SP) (Got into car with Mark Grace) - 36 days

Great Googly-Mooglies
Chief Bender (SP) (Closing time...) - 11 days
Jeff Bagwell (1B) (Every new beginning...) - 13 days
Mike Mussina (SP) (Comes from some other beginning's end) - 11 days

Idaho Potatoes
Joe Morgan (2B) (Mountain Madness) - Out for Season

Luna Landers
Manny Ramirez (OF) (One step forward, two steps back) - 34 days

Madison Mudholes
Al Leiter (SP) (Fell into K-Hole) - Out for Season

Oxbridge Mathematicians
Vince DiMaggio (CF) (Did you remember that he's still on your roster? Neither did I.) - 11 days

Rated R Superstars
David Cone (SP) (Drop) - 17 days
Andruw Jones (CF) (Dead) - Out for Season

South Bolton Eazy W's
Lloyd Moseby (CF) (Armitage's final revenge) - 11 days

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Smasher League Week 21 Injury Report

Great Googly-Mooglies
Chief Bender (SP) (Closing time...) - 11 days
Jeff Bagwell (1B) (Every new beginning...) - 13 days
Mike Mussina (SP) (Comes from some other beginning's end) - 11 days

Rated R Superstars
David Cone (SP) (Drop) - 17 days
Andruw Jones (CF) (Dead) - Out for Season

I...have no idea. It doesn't matter; these teams were doomed to the Gauntlet anyway. If Cthulhu or another Superstars owner has an idea what to do with them, I say do it. As for the Mooglies...gently caress, I don't care. I'll see you guys in the Gauntlet.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Mosesby to the DL, Delahanty to DH, Whitaker to 2B.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Oh no, not DiMaggio!

Posey back in, Klein back in at RF. Really should've got Klein back for last week but I forgot about it.

Edit: I should probably vote, too. I'm just going to go with whichever methods cause the least issue for Smasher (and future EC runners). The teams do seem unbalanced, but I can't really think of a good way to redress that without eliminating that imbalance too much.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 5, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VII, Dynamo League Week 21: Judgment Day

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

BANGERS SWEEP UNICORNS WITH 5-3 WIN

Cleveland- It appears the Unicorns' ship has sailed.

With a loss to the Finger-Bangers today, the Unicorns' fourth straight, the former one-time Sic Transit Vir Division champions have now fallen 15 games behind the division-leading Bangers with only five weeks left in the season, effectively ending any hopes they might have had of making the playoffs.

Maruader's response, delivering with the warmth that has characterized his ownership, involved reusing the same coffin prop he used during his mock burial of the Juggernauts last week. "Friends, owners, Commissars, I come here not to praise the Unicorns, but to bury them, and bury them deep. I remember the first time I killed the Unicorns, of course, it was a long time ago, when I was a different person. Not that different, I suppose. Either way, when I originally slayed them, I never expected them to come back and bedevil me for five more seasons, but they did. Granted, they were usually more of a nuisance rather than a threat. You know, I will miss them, if only because they usually did an effective job of screening some of my weaker opponents. Anything you'd like to add, Jose Rijo?"

Jose Rijo, the winning pitcher, then took his place at the podium behind the coffin, "You know, I have many regrets in my life. Laundering money for drug dealers, getting caught laundering money for drug dealers, arranging for the death of that nosy reporter who asked too many questions...but I do not regret helping to kill these Unicorns. It's just like my friend The Wolf of Trujillo told me, 'When you kill you enemy, you've got to go for the heart'. He taught me so much..."

Asked for his opinion on the future of the Unicorns, IceMole, the team's owner, replied, "They had a mock funeral? I wish they had told me, I totally had a eulogy ready for my team. It would have been pretty great. Oh, well, next time."

Box Score

Don May posted:

DERVISHES BLANK GENERICS 6-0

Rochester- There had been a thought that, if the Generics could put a good run together, that they might be able to put a scare into the Dervishes over the course of the last five weeks of the season.

Today, however, with a loss to the Dervishes, that hope seems mostly lost, as the Dervishes were able to hold the Generics to just four hits and no runs as Burleigh Grimes pitched a shutout.

Beet, laconic as ever, seemed more irritated that others had assumed that the Generics were in any way a threat to his team rather than happy to get another win. "Playoff race over. gently caress the Generics. gently caress Rochester. gently caress kw0134."

The Generics, meanwhile, had, in an effort to enhance their performance, had taken a massive dose of hallucinogens that, unfortunately, had not done much for their playing ability, and had made kw0134's post-game comments even less comprehensible than usual, "The colors are streaming around us, and that red is incredible right there. Oh, man, that red is really looking good. I can't remember the last time I saw a red like that, it must have been like years ago down in New Mexico. They have the best reds there, and, when you wake up, they've got some good blues too. I remember one time that I took in a blue and a red at the same time. It made green."

kw0134's eyes started to glaze over, "The Big Train! He ran out of coal! Went sputtering on the tracks. Klackity-Klack-Klack! Oh, no, he's running off the tracks! And they're coming to get him! And it's over, it's all over! Goodnight, planet earth!"

Box Score

Don May posted:

RADBOURNS WIN INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE

Florida City- Holy gently caress, the Radbourns won the Intercontinental title! The loving Radbourns! There can be only one explanation for this:

It was the will of James Coburn

oldskool, the loser of the title, responded, "Clearly, we have sinned in the eyes of James Coburn, he of the effortless cool, and he has responded by taking away our title as punishment. Perhaps some day we might redeem ourselves in his eyes, and win back his favor. Until then, though, we have no choice but to repent. Forgive us, O Mighty Coburn, forgive us our trespasses against thee."

Dr. Mike Marshall, a skeptic, noted that, "I credit our win to my superior pitching mechanics, which I have taught to our pitching staff. The thought that a movie star who has been dead for a decade, is somehow responsible for our victory is preposterous. After all, if James Coburn was really that powerful, then surely he would strike me down-" Marshall was then struck by a bolt of lightning from the heavens, which was quite unusual as he was indoors at the time.

Marshall later commented that the lightning was probably due to inferior insulation, and he stood by his comments.

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

Shouldn't George Brett be starting at 3B if Traynor is out?

Analysis

How much damage was done by the pitching injuries you faced in the middle of the season? It's hard to say, but it's probably some.

Analysis

If you could ever fix your 3B problem, I'd run out of things to nag you about.

Analysis

The Unicorns run into two of the top three teams in their league. It does not end well.

Analysis

You're definitely getting your money's worth out of Gibson this year. He already has over 200 IP with a month left to go.

Okay, you've experimented with Kamm, you've experimented with Yost, I think it's time to go to your Hall of Famer and put Perez at 3B.

Analysis

But seriously, you might as well starting praying to James Coburn because your team is in trouble.

Analysis

The Finger-Bangers win everything.

Analysis

If you can pick it up a bit more, you might escape the Gauntlet.

Analysis

Coburns!

Analysis

Beckley may kill your team all by himself.

Analysis

The Bulldogs have a good week, just a bit too late. Still, they'll play the exact same teams in the exact same stadiums next week, and that might help them out in the Gauntlet standings.

Analysis

And now the Superbas play the Dervishes and Bangers. Ouch.

Analysis

Well, okay, you aren't going to win your division, but you can still survive.

Analysis

The Losers make it look easy.

Analysis

What would Mick Foley say, if he saw you today?

Analysis

Ha! No.

Standings and Leaders

Playoff/Gauntlet Picture

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Alright, put Hornsby and Crawford back in the starting lineup. Hopefully that will be enough to keep us in the safe zone now that the Bangers have decided to close it out.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

That was disappointing, but with Garciaparra sore it can't be helped. Kent back to SS and Teufel to 3B for the coming week. Niekro ain't working, put Finley in the fourth slot if possible and call up Zambrano.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

I'm glad to see the Generics finally understand their place in the Dies Irae division. Much like last season, when we overcame the once-proud Oranges and put up a decent fight against the Losers in their greatest season, the Dervishes are not a team that will be denied their rightful playoff berth. And we even get a full series this time!

In any event, indeed, perhaps it is time to put Tony Perez at 3B. That was something I thought about doing at the start of the season when I noticed that he had played quite a bit at third before becoming a full-time 1B, but Yost had proven himself so far and I didn't have a huge amount of faith in Perez repeating his EC performance. But, hey, why not. If anything, it will make him more attractive trade bait to get another great pitcher or elite shorstop. New all-HOF (+Shoeless Joe) lineup is as follows:

pre:
1. LF Joe Jackson
2. RF Stan Musial
3. CF Earl Averill
4. 1B Buck Leonard
5. 2B Joe Morgan
6. C Johnny Bench
7. 3B Tony Perez
8. SS Ozzie Smith

Beet fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Now that Wetteland is healthy, call up Wetteland to replace JJ Putz in the bullpen.

New vs RHP lineup to give Cronin some more rest...
2B Rose
LF Speaker
1B Thomas
CF Charleston
RF Robinson
C Torre/Martinez
SS Tejada
3B Ventura
P Pitcher