Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Gwen's death might be old hat to us comic fans, but I'm sure it would shock the hell out of most movie audiences, especially if they do it how it was done in the comics. The reaction will be "Oh, they're doing the bridge thing like in the first movie...OH poo poo!" I would guess.

It would also break a lot of super hero movie cliches. Sometimes you don't get the girl, the bad guy wins, and you can do everything in your power to be a good person and it isn't enough.

And then people will claim they copied Batman Begins or some poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

It would also break a lot of super hero movie cliches. Sometimes you don't get the girl, the bad guy wins, and you can do everything in your power to be a good person and it isn't enough.

And then people will claim they copied Batman Begins or some poo poo like that.

If they fully replicate the aftermath of Gwen's death as the end of the movie, it would be loving amazing. His girlfriend has been killed by his archnemesis, who is his best friends father, who then accidentally killed himself as well, he goes home, finds his best friend completely hosed out of his gourd on drugs, he blows off his other love interest, and then has a complete nervous breakdown, alone in his room. SPIDER-MAN!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheJoker138 posted:

If they fully replicate the aftermath of Gwen's death as the end of the movie, it would be loving amazing. His girlfriend has been killed by his archnemesis, who is his best friends father, who then accidentally killed himself as well, he goes home, finds his best friend completely hosed out of his gourd on drugs, he blows off his other love interest, and then has a complete nervous breakdown, alone in his room. SPIDER-MAN!

For that to happen, the Osborns would have needed a real introduction in The Amazing Spider-Man. Otherwise, it'd feel like how Harvey Dent was handled in The Dark Knight -- we're told about the character, but we don't actually understand why it matters -- what happened to Harvey would have been far more poignant if he'd been in Batman Begins, kicking rear end and taking names. Cramming all of that (Norman being crazy, Peter meeting and cultivating a friendship with Harry, Gwen's death, etc.) into one movie would just become a mess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Timby posted:

For that to happen, the Osborns would have needed a real introduction in The Amazing Spider-Man. Otherwise, it'd feel like how Harvey Dent was handled in The Dark Knight -- we're told about the character, but we don't actually understand why it matters -- what happened to Harvey would have been far more poignant if he'd been in Batman Begins, kicking rear end and taking names. Cramming all of that (Norman being crazy, Peter meeting and cultivating a friendship with Harry, Gwen's death, etc.) into one movie would just become a mess.

Harry was in Amazing. He is who Peter talks to in the lab. Also he does blow off Mary Jane but he is not alone. She stays with help to help him. It was a real important moment as it shows Mary Jane as something other then the party girl.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 12, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Well I'm not saying they should kill Gwen in the next one, but in the third film. The next one would be used to set up MJ, Harry, and Norman. Establish the status quo and then in the third film turn it all on it's ear.

Also, Harry was not in Amazing at all unless I somehow missed it both times I saw it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Well I'm not saying they should kill Gwen in the next one, but in the third film. The next one would be used to set up MJ, Harry, and Norman. Establish the status quo and then in the third film turn it all on it's ear.

Also, Harry was not in Amazing at all unless I somehow missed it both times I saw it.

I thought that has Harry who Peter was talking to when he first entered the lab.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that has Harry who Peter was talking to when he first entered the lab.

I don't remember him talking to anyone except the receptionist, Gwen, and Conners at the lab.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

It also allows you to set up a new set of movies afterwards. But that means you have to establish Norman Osborns's obsession with Spider-Man.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

It also allows you to set up a new set of movies afterwards. But that means you have to establish Norman Osborns's obsession with Spider-Man.

You could easily do that in the next movie, having him as a force behind whoever the villain is. Tie everything to Oscorp, with Norman at the top. He would know that one of his employees turned into a lizard man, and he could easily put together what happened with Peter if he doesn't already know from security camera footage. We also know that he's dying, and this is his answer for it all, his cure.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, the only Osborne in the movie is the dude in the mid-credits scene.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, the only Osborne in the movie is the dude in the mid-credits scene.

And I'm fairly certain even he was just Conner's crazy hallucination brought on by guilt and lizard serum.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheJoker138 posted:

You could easily do that in the next movie, having him as a force behind whoever the villain is. Tie everything to Oscorp, with Norman at the top.

That's, uh, exactly what The Amazing Spider-Man did. Connors' experiments were explicitly said to be part of an effort to treat some sort of affliction of Norman Osborn.

Now that Mary Jane is being cast, I don't think there's any question that Norman Osborn will be the villain of the sequel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timby posted:

That's, uh, exactly what The Amazing Spider-Man did. Connors' experiments were explicitly said to be part of an effort to treat some sort of affliction of Norman Osborn.

Now that Mary Jane is being cast, I don't think there's any question that Norman Osborn will be the villain of the sequel.

No, we have some shadowy figure we've never seen with some pretty generic motivations right now. Sure, Norman Osborn is a presence, but we have no idea what kind of guy he actually is beyond "mysterious and probably evil." You need to do more than that to make people actually give a poo poo and have him be an arch nemesis. I think they should do at least one more movie with him just as a character who actually appears before having him Goblin out.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I just saw this, and I honestly think the score....isn't that bad?

It's really milquetoast at times, I agree, but I don't agree with Thulsa that the problem is no theme; I think Horner's score depends more on this theme than Elfman's did. You can hear it everywhere in the score in different variations - its piano variant is nice, but I kind of like the really bombastic rendition in the final Spidey-swinging scene at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utUDVyGfLDc&t=162s

I just think it was oddly refreshing to get back to a really melodic, cheesy theme-based score after the minimalism of the late-2000s. If you're looking for worse superhero scores (in terms of melodicism and listenability), I'd say that Green Lantern and Iron Man take the cake.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 30, 2012

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/holy-crap-jamie-foxx-cast-as-electro-in-the-amazing-spider-man-2/

Electro huh?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think Mysterio could be a great villian if done right and you can connect to the whole Oscorb thing as well.

Do the cartoon version of Mysterio where he is fired for being too liberal with his explosives on set and Spider-Man rescues someone. Mysterio becomes so obessesed with Spider-Man he goes to Oscorp to sell his technology so he can get Spider-Man. Mysterio uses his illusions and knowledge of explosions to draw Spider-Man out into the open and fight him.

I dunno, seems like you could make a movie out of that.

I want to see a movie version of Mysterio like the one in the Spider-Man 2 video game, where it's set up as a huge boss, and he gets knocked the gently caress out in one punch.

It's amazing, all these years later and the game for 2 is miles better than the game for Amazing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Hmm I wonder how he will procure his powers, or maybe they will make it some kind of lightning gun? Not necessarily a gun but just an apparatus that can shoot electricity at everything? Maybe that sounds a little too close to how Shocker operated but honestly how else are they going to do this as semi-believably as they did it in Spectacular Spider-Man?

Alls I am happy with is that Marc Webb is officially directing the sequel :) all the character-driven elements that I loved in this movie is here to stay

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aces High posted:

Hmm I wonder how he will procure his powers, or maybe they will make it some kind of lightning gun? Not necessarily a gun but just an apparatus that can shoot electricity at everything? Maybe that sounds a little too close to how Shocker operated but honestly how else are they going to do this as semi-believably as they did it in Spectacular Spider-Man?

Alls I am happy with is that Marc Webb is officially directing the sequel :) all the character-driven elements that I loved in this movie is here to stay

Seeing as the last movie had a doctor turning into a lizard man, I doubt they're going to go all :nolan: with stupid fake realism and give him a lightning gun. He'll take some kind of electric eel formula and get electric powers. Also, Shocker does not use electricity, he uses shockwaves/vibrations :colbert:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

While I know his powers are different I was referring to the fact that Shocker always uses a suit with some kind of seismic producing generator to produce the shocks and waves from his fists

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

While a suit or tech would be more "realistic", it's also vastly less interesting and versatile.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
A suit doesn't lend itself as easily to the great power theme. It's not part of you. If you steal it your power is thieving and if you invent it your power is being smart.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

They did Electro good in Spectacular Spider-man. He was a repairman who got electrocuted and it caused him to change into a being of electricity. He at first wanted to return to human but then decided he liked the power.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bobkatt013 posted:

They did Electro good in Spectacular Spider-man. He was a repairman who got electrocuted and it caused him to change into a being of electricity. He at first wanted to return to human but then decided he liked the power.

There would have to be something else to it, though, like he's a repairman at Oscorp who socked himself on some experiment or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

There would have to be something else to it, though, like he's a repairman at Oscorp who socked himself on some experiment or something.

Ya in the cartoon he was repairing some experimental stuff at Doctor Connors lab.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

I wonder what Oscorps track record for safety is going to be by the third film if they use them as the basis for all of the meta-human related creation incidents? You'd think a health inspector would show up at some point to see what was up.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Electro is an interesting choice. He's never been Spider-Man's A-list villain since his motives have never been really clear. He's usually just a thug looking for his big break. I wonder how they'll show him here, especailly since they haven't had much of a criminal element in ASM's universe yet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^ The A-List villains have all been used in previous films so Electro's in the same boat as pretty much anyone else they'd pick barring a re-do.

Bob Quixote posted:

I wonder what Oscorps track record for safety is going to be by the third film if they use them as the basis for all of the meta-human related creation incidents? You'd think a health inspector would show up at some point to see what was up.

He does show up all the time, but he's a supervillain too: Inspector Insane-O! Because of his merciless and malevolent machinations, Oscorp and other science & research labs around the city capitulate to catastrophe!

Note that Inspector Insane-O should not be confused with Captain Catastrophe.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 2, 2012

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

bobkatt013 posted:

Ya in the cartoon he was repairing some experimental stuff at Doctor Connors lab.

This also added a whole "oh no it's a guy we all know personally and can't do anything to help" thing to him which was pretty interesting(in Spectacular Spiderman, Peter, Gwen, and Eddie Brock were all pretty closely involved with doc connors' lab stuff in general) but seems unlikely for this movie. Not a typical Electro depiction, but a pretty solid one.

Interested to see where this goes, though. I have a feeling Electro won't necessarily be the main focus of the movie if they're building up to Gwen's death and a Goblin thing going on in the 3rd. Some sort of metaphor/dark mirror for a thing Peter's struggling with maybe.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

I'd like to see a couple of bad guys, throw Rhino in there too. Two guys for Spidey to knock down before setting up the 3rd movie with his massive struggle against Goblin and of course the Death of Gwen.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just want to see Norman this film, and really set him up beyond what we know about him from the first. He should be behind whoever the villain is, and his obsession with Spider-Man should start to come into play. Maybe even have him already know how Spider-Man is due to security camera's picking up the spider bite and all that. Then after Electro and whoever else (if they do multiple villains) fails he Goblins himself up. I'd like to see the last scene of this movie being him putting on the mask, or opening a room to reveal the glider, or hulk-Goblining out if they go the Ultimate route.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hah, I was thinking it would be ballsy for the 3rd movie to follow the Death Of Storyline and kill Peter Parker, but then have Donald Glover become the new Spiderman at the end and have the Miles Spiderman running around.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I feel like Donald Glover's too old for the part, but I would be so down for a Miles Morales movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I feel like Donald Glover's too old for the part, but I would be so down for a Miles Morales movie.

They are so going to cast Jaden Smith for that role. He's even 14 now.

I think it's obvious from the ending scenes of the movie that Norman certainly knows Peter is Spidey.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Hah, I was thinking it would be ballsy for the 3rd movie to follow the Death Of Storyline and kill Peter Parker, but then have Donald Glover become the new Spiderman at the end and have the Miles Spiderman running around.

If they did that, following the Ultimate route, we'd have Gwen and Aunt May swoop in and be his mentors.

Makes me wonder, which would have a greater impact, death of Spider-man/Peter Parker or the death of Gwen Stacy?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aces High posted:

If they did that, following the Ultimate route, we'd have Gwen and Aunt May swoop in and be his mentors.

Makes me wonder, which would have a greater impact, death of Spider-man/Peter Parker or the death of Gwen Stacy?

I would want to have that whole thing where everyone was "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING?" To Miles once he started being Spiderman. I honestly thought Spiderwoman was going to beat his rear end.

I know I'm a broken record, but I really want the ASM universe with some more characters in it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aces High posted:

If they able to get the emotions in these scenes in the movie Death of Spider-man would be hard to beat.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Aces High posted:

Death of Gwen Stacy. How many super hero movies show the hero failing? How many times do people say, of course he saves the girl?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why is Aunt May wearing Iron Fist's pajamas?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I really don't see the pervasive need some comic book nerds have to kill Gwen Stacy in the movies. We've had at least two major versions of that story and there's never been much to it other than "Spider Man fails to save Gwen and feels bad", a third would just feel kindof gratuitously cruel to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I really don't see the pervasive need some comic book nerds have to kill Gwen Stacy in the movies. We've had at least two major versions of that story and there's never been much to it other than "Spider Man fails to save Gwen and feels bad", a third would just feel kindof gratuitously cruel to me.

Well it's gonna happen so I don't know what to tell you. Don't go see the movie I guess?

• Locked thread