Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fletcher posted:

I didn't even need to mess with the firmware flash for my 5th drive that sits in the optical bay.
You don't need to, but it's nice to have SATA300 with ACHI rather than SATA150 with IDE emulation which is what the ODD SATA port is configured to have per default.

Run some S.M.A.R.T tests on your drives, that's about the only good recommendation I can come up with if you want to figure out what happened. Also be aware that replacing the drives with 3TB ones won't grow the pool before you've replaced all five drives.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

When I do a showmount -e it lists only the most recent one that I've added. What am I doing wrong here?

edit: /etc/exports only has a single entry in it as well, even though the web interface shows two. May be a bug? I'm going to try updating to newer rev.

Fixed my issue.

From the nfs section:

quote:

The properties of one file system exported to a given host must all occur on one line. Lines without a client specified are treated as a single host. This limits how you can export file systems, but for most people this is not an issue.

So rather than 3 separate shares, just create 1 share with 3 folders listed, separated by spaces:

/etc/exports correctly lists it and all 3 are shown with a showmounts -e. Hooray!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

tonberrytoby posted:

did you remember to write if and 'of=/dev/rdisk' instead of only '/dev/rdisk' ?

Or the other way around if you are using some unusual version of dd.

The whole command I tried, as advised in the unRAID docs:

code:
dd conv=notrunc bs=440 count=1 if=mbr.bin of=/dev/rdisk1

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Any thoughts on the HP vs this and this? Size/noise are a concern, effort less so as long as the end result works, but I'm not going rack a DL160 for this.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ninja Rope posted:

Any thoughts on the HP vs this and this? Size/noise are a concern, effort less so as long as the end result works, but I'm not going rack a DL160 for this.
Thats a microATX board and a mini-ITX case.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

File drag 'n drop is not the same thing as creating a brand new file because your permissions are transferred unless masked. With a new file, it inherits from both umask and the directory above it depending upon whether your OS can override whatever you attempt to set as a user (think it's enforceable on Solaris, not so on Linux).

Try this out to see if it's something Finder's doing or on the server side:
1. Mount CIFS or MacFuse SSH remote filesystem
2. In a terminal, go to /Volumes/<yourVolumeNameThatYouMounted>
3. Find a directory
4. Copy a file into it with cp
5. Observe permissions of the newly created file on the remote system
6. Copy same file from Finder into the remote directory

Also, maybe this seems dumb but have you tried to quote the long arguments to the -exec parameter? That is -exec setfacl -m "owner@:fUckJoO::..."

I did steps 1-6. When I used cp to copy the file, the permissions were set as intended with setfacl. When I drag & dropped the same file, the permissions were not set properly. So I suppose the problem is narrowed down to something to do with Finder.

I did try quoting the arguments; no effect.

So what's my next step in figuring this out?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DrDork posted:

For $300 ($350 w/RAM and NIC) it's real hard to beat the ease of setup and performance of the N40L.

Good luck finding it for that price, though.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

File drag 'n drop is not the same thing as creating a brand new file because your permissions are transferred unless masked. With a new file, it inherits from both umask and the directory above it depending upon whether your OS can override whatever you attempt to set as a user (think it's enforceable on Solaris, not so on Linux).

I don't think I'll have the time to do this the "proper" way and enforce this on the server side (FreeBSD). As a workaround I've decided to configure a umask on the client side (MacOS) to make dir/files 775/664 on creation, so when they're copied to the server they have the desired permissions.

This is how I did it if anyone is interested:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2202

Thanks so much to everyone that chipped in with feedback, I learned a hell of a lot about find, ACLs, and umasks over the last week.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Longinus00 posted:

I would recommend you backup the raid superblocks using dd before doing this so you can restore them if it doesn't work. Even better (and what should have happened originally since it seems like you are willing to pay a lot of money to get data off these drives, I googled and there are quotes of several hundred for raid recovery and that number gets really high if there are any hardware issues) is stopping all the drives and copying their contents into new ones and using those to restore your data. If you mess up recreating or a rebuilding, your disk images are a simple dd away. Once you fix up the array on your new drives successfully then you're free to do whatever you want with the old drives.

How would you recommend I go about the backup in that case? The research I've done suggests that using the "dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb" method, but I don't want to do a 1:1 copy to a new disk. Rather, I'd like to copy everything over to my Synology NAS as a compressed file (if possible). Is this possible with a multidisk array? Would I end up with an img/bz file for each partition or a single file for all 4 partitions?

I feel very ignorant about this high level multidisk backup stuff, but I have a feeling it should be as basic as a normal rsync. Thanks!

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

[quote="Gism0" post="409248681"]
Had my first scare today.. For some reason one of my drives disappeared, so I rebooted and it thankfully came back. Any reason why that might happen? Should I be worried? (I'm using ZFS on Ubuntu 12.04)

code:
  pool: Tank
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is missing or
        invalid.  Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue
        functioning in a degraded state.
action: Replace the device using 'zpool replace'.
   see: [url]http://zfsonlinux.org/msg/ZFS-8000-4J[/url]
 scan: none requested
config:

NAME                                 STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Tank                                 DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz1-0                           DEGRADED     0     0     0
            ata-ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F10WF6  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F120XJ  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-ST31500341AS_9VS0BQT4        UNAVAIL      0     0     0
            ata-ST31500341AS_9VS1GRSR        ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-ST31500341AS_9VS1HMQK        ONLINE       0     0     0
Check /var/log/messages and see if there is anything there about the drive that dropped out. You could have a loose cable, or the disk may not have responded and the controller decided it was no longer present.

Rebooting is also the last thing you should do, not the first.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

titaniumone posted:

Rebooting is also the last thing you should do, not the first.

There should be a caveat associated with that goddamn nonsense article, that qualifies it with the complexity and redundancy of your machine being the major factor in anything you do up to and including reboots.

In your case, it might be similar to mine where there are power issues from a bad PSU or a semi-loose cable and the only way to get the BIOS to give a poo poo again is to reboot. Once you lose a drive with that, you can't exactly go inside the case and plug it back in again and have it work.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

tehschulman posted:

How would you recommend I go about the backup in that case? The research I've done suggests that using the "dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb" method, but I don't want to do a 1:1 copy to a new disk. Rather, I'd like to copy everything over to my Synology NAS as a compressed file (if possible). Is this possible with a multidisk array? Would I end up with an img/bz file for each partition or a single file for all 4 partitions?

I feel very ignorant about this high level multidisk backup stuff, but I have a feeling it should be as basic as a normal rsync. Thanks!

Are you asking how you can make an image of a disk rather than copy to a new disk? In that case just change the 'of' argument to point at a file rather than a block device. If you want to have it be compressed you can just do something like this cat /dev/sda | gzip > sda.img.gz, but you'll need to uncompress to do anything with them so it's not very useful except as a backup. You can then mount the disk images via a loop device but to do so with a partitioned disk image you'll need to use kpartx or mess around with losetup. If you're planning to do recovery it'll be easier to just backup compressed disk images and then uncompress them onto disks in a computer or backing up the partitions individually.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hmm, I'm trying to make my server boot off of a SiI3114-based SATA card. This works fine.

The problem arises when I hook up all the other hard drives in the system. Two things happen then:

1. The cards BIOS info never appears during boot-up. To be clear, all the other ports BIOS screens appear (Intel, Gigabyte, LSI) along with the the SiI3114 until I have a bunch of drives hooked up to those ports...then the SiI3114 doesn't ever show up.
2. In my BIOS boot-order screen, only 8 of the 12 drives I have in the system appear.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm, I'm trying to make my server boot off of a SiI3114-based SATA card. This works fine.

The problem arises when I hook up all the other hard drives in the system. Two things happen then:

1. The cards BIOS info never appears during boot-up. To be clear, all the other ports BIOS screens appear (Intel, Gigabyte, LSI) along with the the SiI3114 until I have a bunch of drives hooked up to those ports...then the SiI3114 doesn't ever show up.
2. In my BIOS boot-order screen, only 8 of the 12 drives I have in the system appear.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Hmm, might be some odd behaviour of the Si3114 Option ROM. Does it have a config menu at all you can enter?

And in the boot screen under HDD BBS option / similar menu, only 8 appear? The 4 attached to the 3114 don't? Did the 3114 ever work properly?

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006
Got my UnRaid box all up and going... Took a little fight but it seems like its working well now.

Out of laziness I ended up not using the Intel NIC right now, sticking with the Realtek for now. (Didn't have a keyboard or display hooked up and it was only readying eth0 and the card was eth1 (I think))

Got Sab/SickBeard/Couchpotato running and working as planned. Finally got Plex media server set up also.

Finished it off by streaming a new election comedy movie at 720p to my Roku box over Wireless with no problem!

While not the thread, Plex is loving awesome. I don't know why I ever considered setting this thing up and using PS3MediaServer as an option...

Side Note: Any suggestions on a brand of a Sata PCI card? Need at least 3 internal SATA ports (figure 4 for good measure).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

movax posted:

Hmm, might be some odd behaviour of the Si3114 Option ROM. Does it have a config menu at all you can enter?

Yeah but I can only enter the config menu if I have the other drives disconnected.

movax posted:

And in the boot screen under HDD BBS option / similar menu, only 8 appear? The 4 attached to the 3114 don't? Did the 3114 ever work properly?

12 drives total.
2 attached to the 3114
4 to on-board Intel ports (965P-DS3 mobo from Gigabyte)
2 to on-board Gigabyte ports
4 to an LSI SAS card via a...crap I can't think of the word right now, but one of those cables that splits a port out to 4 SATA ports.

Showing in BIOS boot-order screen
3 drives from the LSI
2 from the on-board Gigabyte ports
2 from the on-board Intel ports
(I said 8 drives earlier, but actually one of them is "Bootable Add-in Cards", and setting that to boot order #1 doesn't help)

The 3114 works great if I don't have drives plugged in to the other ports on-board or the LSI card. Prior to me tearing down this system to replace older, smaller drives with newer, bigger drives, all the ports worked fine. I think they worked fine because my boot drive at the time happened to be plugged in to one of the on-board ports. I'm trying to avoid that since the 3114 is lower performance and I'd like to save the higher-performance ports for my storage pool.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ahh, a 965 board. I'm beginning to wonder if that BIOS might have some odd limitations that you're running into. How much RAM is in the system, out of curiosity?

e: And if you boot into a Live CD / OS, can you see all the controllers if you do lspci or similar?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

movax posted:

Ahh, a 965 board. I'm beginning to wonder if that BIOS might have some odd limitations that you're running into. How much RAM is in the system, out of curiosity?

e: And if you boot into a Live CD / OS, can you see all the controllers if you do lspci or similar?
Yeah, I get the Intel, JMicron (that's the chip Gigabyte used for their own SATA ports), SiI 3114, and the LSI controller:

code:
therms@ehud:~$ lspci | grep SATA
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HB (ICH8) 4 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02)
03:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB363 SATA/IDE Controller (rev 02)
03:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB363 SATA/IDE Controller (rev 02)
05:02.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3114 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
therms@ehud:~$ lspci | grep LSI
01:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 08)
I got tired of messing around with this and just swapped the boot drives to a couple of the Intel on-board ports and the storage pool drives to the 3114, which is how I got the lspci results.

I haven't tested the storage pool which is a ZFS pool that I exported from another machine yet...

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Have you considered just getting a 2 port PCIE SATA card? That would erase any performance concerns.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Longinus00 posted:

Have you considered just getting a 2 port PCIE SATA card? That would erase any performance concerns.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to end up doing this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sooo many problems.

I would've sworn the LSI SAS1068E based controller cares support 3TB...I was wrong.

What's a good replacement?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Sooo many problems.

I would've sworn the LSI SAS1068E based controller cares support 3TB...I was wrong.

What's a good replacement?

Yeah, I have 3 of those, thanks for the reminder. You can use their PCIe 2.0 6Gbps successors, the 2008s.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Devian666 posted:

This is a good start but somehow this picture made me think of the hoarder than had 10 tonnes of rubbish and 55 cats (15 of them dead) removed from his house.

At home I'm thinking about adding an external drive to my time capsule to give me more time before I need to build a home storage server.

But the nice part about being a digital hoarder is that for the low low price of a day's pay, you get the digital equivalent of a brand new Costco to cram your new poo poo into. Additionally, having your data arranged in random heaps of crap doesn't pose a health and safety hazard when those cat macros and Linux iso's fall over and crush you to death.

My personal packratting has gotten out of hand in a hilarious manner. I now have a SAS topology containing ~55 HHDs, totaling over 40.8 TB of usable space, post 10/2 conversion and raidz2 capacity losses.

A Norco 4220 running OpenIndiana, a 4224 running as a Hyper-V lab box with an expander stealing all the drive bays for use as a halfassed jbod box, and a Supermicro 24 bay 2U rackmount case, running the 20 laptop drives I got from work because of some pricing bullshit that made it cheaper to replace them with SSDs than buy them new with SSDs.

Also, Locate32 is literally the best thing ever. Set it to index the archive drives weekly and the recent download drives daily, and I can find anything reasonably quickly. If it would also somehow index metadata and tags, it would be perfect.

movax posted:

Yeah, I have 3 of those, thanks for the reminder. You can use their PCIe 2.0 6Gbps successors, the 2008s.

I have an LSI 2008 chipset card, I think it's the 9016 2 internal port HBA. They're amazing in terms of playing nice with pretty much everything on the market as far as expanders, plus they have drivers for every OS you care to name.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

movax posted:

Well, geeze...those are quite expensive compared to the ~$100 I paid for the 1068E card.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
IBM makes a model called... I have no idea right now, but it's pretty reasonably priced.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

IBM makes a model called... I have no idea right now, but it's pretty reasonably priced.

IBM m1015, which uses that LSI 2008 chipset.

We use a shitload of those LSI 2008 cards at work, they really do work with just about everything you can throw at them.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Still on ebay, $65 bucks plus shipping (missing the thing that holds the card, but any good nerd should have a few old PCI cards floating around that can mount these)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200841096206

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Fatal posted:

Still on ebay, $65 bucks plus shipping (missing the thing that holds the card, but any good nerd should have a few old PCI cards floating around that can mount these)

Yep that's the one you want.

Also, I think all of the mods are digital hoarders.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Perhaps it's all leftovers from waffleimages? :v:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

For having access to as many drives as I could want, I'm surprisingly not. I have a single 2x3TB DAS (not even a NAS) that stores all of my poo poo since my computers all have 256GB SSDs, and a Time Capsule that keeps my backups. The rest is all in ~+~+~+~THE CLOUD~+~+~+~

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Fatal posted:

Do these do RAID 6? Or are you guys pretty much using them to just pass disks through?

Edit: Nevermind looks like RAID 5 only.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ClassH posted:

Do these do RAID 6? Or are you guys pretty much using them to just pass disks through?

The latter; they're well supported under Solaris/BSD which makes them great options for feeding ZFS massive number of disks. They can do hardware RAID as well if you want them too (might need a option key), but mostly they are HBAs.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For having access to as many drives as I could want, I'm surprisingly not. I have a single 2x3TB DAS (not even a NAS) that stores all of my poo poo since my computers all have 256GB SSDs, and a Time Capsule that keeps my backups. The rest is all in ~+~+~+~THE CLOUD~+~+~+~

But what about the foam hard-drive carriers :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thanks for the heads up about the IBM card, guys.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
I'm going to be setting a client up with a new Synology NAS. Problem being they have about 4 copies of a lot of their files spread across their current "server" (secretary's P4 desktop) and the 2 other computers in their organization. Is there any good software/methods out there to go through and merge/de-duplicate all of that? We just want 1 copy on the NAS, and to sync that to the different computers.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Just got a new storage device, 12 disks, running FreeBSD 9.1. Everything I've read says to keep every vdev in the single-digit range so performance doesn't get hurt. So, I did a two raidz2 setup for my pool.

code:
pool
  raidz2-0
     disk1
     disk2
     disk3
     disk4
     disk5
     disk6
  raidz2-1
     disk7
     disk8
     disk9
     disk10
     disk11
     disk12
Is this type of setup recommended?
I ran the "bonnie++" program, and it looked like it said this:
Write Speed: 352.87 MB/sec
Read Speed: 487.36 MB/sec

That looks more than fine to me. In fact, that's faster than I need - would it be safe to just do a 12 disk raidz3 (and take a performance hit) to get some space back?

Also, Samba performance may be a little iffy. Over Gigabit, I'm getting 30-90MB/sec (but mostly in the 35MB-55MB range). I was hoping to never dip below 70MB+.
Copying to it, I'm hitting up to 90MB/sec.
Copying from it, I'm doing around 30MB/sec.

Are there recommended Samba tweaks / tuning I should look into? There is, of course, a chance that the bottleneck is not the new system, but the old servers.

Samba 3.6.9, FreeBSD 9.1 (RC3)

Edit: No tweaks needed. The issue was the tool used, TeraCopy. Windows native file copying is getting 113MB/sec (to Samba) and 100MB/sec (from Samba). All's good.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 7, 2012

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Samba performance under FreeBSD has always been poo poo for some odd reason.

Edit: http://www.mywushublog.com/2012/06/poor-samba-performance/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Because no one uses it, so no one cares enough to fix it properly.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

is there a way with ZFS on Nas4Free to present my ZFS volume as an iscsi volume that doesn't need to be formatted/initialized?

I tried messing around with it last night but I'm no expert on iscsi and the performance from SMB is just really, really bad. 15-20mb/s writing from my Windows machine while I'm trying to re-fill a raid from backup is taking me forever and ever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

movax posted:

Yep that's the one you want.

You never notice that until you become both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Xenomorph posted:

Is this type of setup recommended?

Yup, that seems to be the recommended method as opposed to a giant vdev. Gives you a much larger safety net.