Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This chapter is great and I bet you all bitch about Blade Runner too. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm happy with the pace, the comic should be written for the book/archives, not just for those of us reading along every week. :shobon:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man that does not look comfortable at all.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
No wonder she doesn't need to sleep. She got all caught up in the hundreds of millions or billions of years she was trapped in volcanic rock until the ocean eroded it away enough for her to get out.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Well, that explains why she's got such a great hair.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lava, because I'm worth it.

e: now in avatar form.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 5, 2012

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

TracyFentonHS posted:

Maybe shes a fallen star or commet like Yvaine from the Neil Gaiman novel Stardust. Just the vibe I'm getting with this latest update.

And that would explain why Coyote told Annie to ask her about the stars in the sky.

I'm sticking with this theory until Tom blows it out of the water on Wednesday.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Holy good gravy.

Tell the truth, Tom. Everything, Jones' whole background, is just so you'd have the chance to draw all the stuff in this chapter, isn't it?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, it's a bit slow reading it update by update. But the pages look amazing.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
I discovered Gunnerkrigg last week and have read the archives through twice now. Coming into it now (of all times) is crazy frustrating but at the same time awesome because answers about Jones are needed and also the artwork is stupefying. I really need this thread to balance out that other BSS thread I read.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

pumpinglemma posted:

(I kid, but amazing artwork aside this pacing really is utterly terrible for a serial reader. It's all the more jarring since pacing is normally something Tom's very good at...)
Seriously, everything's going by so fast! :haw:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Fecha posted:

Seriously, everything's going by so fast! :haw:

4.5 BILLION YEARS in just eight weeks, I agree.

Great chapter though, I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
That is an absolutely beautiful page

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Fried Chicken posted:

That is an absolutely beautiful page

I agree, I've really enjoyed this chapter. Rome and this one are absolutely stunning.

Edit: and the Gobi Desert. Some really awesome artwork in this chapter.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Jones is the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. She was hurtled from her home planet after it exploded, where even there, she was quite old.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dodgeball posted:

Jones is the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. She was hurtled from her home planet after it exploded, where even there, she was quite old.

We've gone back in time far enough for dinoaurs not to exist yet.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Cat Mattress posted:

We've gone back in time far enough for dinoaurs not to exist yet.

Sure, on OUR planet...

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I'm throwing my lot in with the idea that Jones is a sort of emanation of the very Universe itself. Not really human, but in a human form. She's standing outside of time and has known the entire history of the Universe in her primordial state from its beginning to its end all along. She's in a human form because she knew what humans would look like before they existed (that is, if we're even supposed to understand her as physically in that form in this history). Her purpose as such a being is to observe on behalf of the Universe to make sure everything is following the Rules, which is why she's lurking around the Court - they are up to something unnatural, attempting to achieve Godhood on their own and she is there to make sure they don't disrupt the fabric of space-time in the process.

She may also not necessarily be in this actual form, I mean, this is an artistic medium telling a story and while she appears to keep the same form all the way back to the formation of the planet, that could just be Tom's way of representing her because it's really hard to draw things that have no Form. She's there but not physically. She's incarnated physically now because it's expedient but back then it would have been less expedient.

But again even if she is physically there in that form, that's okay, because she's not born of mortal flesh and since she stands outside of time (an observer to infinity) she could see any number of potential forms to take.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
In the beginning was Jones, and Jones was with God, and Jones was God, and through Jones all things were made.

e: basically I am saying Jones is Jesus.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Paramemetic posted:

I'm throwing my lot in with the idea that Jones is a sort of emanation of the very Universe itself. Not really human, but in a human form. She's standing outside of time and has known the entire history of the Universe in her primordial state from its beginning to its end all along. She's in a human form because she knew what humans would look like before they existed (that is, if we're even supposed to understand her as physically in that form in this history). Her purpose as such a being is to observe on behalf of the Universe to make sure everything is following the Rules, which is why she's lurking around the Court - they are up to something unnatural, attempting to achieve Godhood on their own and she is there to make sure they don't disrupt the fabric of space-time in the process.

She may also not necessarily be in this actual form, I mean, this is an artistic medium telling a story and while she appears to keep the same form all the way back to the formation of the planet, that could just be Tom's way of representing her because it's really hard to draw things that have no Form. She's there but not physically. She's incarnated physically now because it's expedient but back then it would have been less expedient.

But again even if she is physically there in that form, that's okay, because she's not born of mortal flesh and since she stands outside of time (an observer to infinity) she could see any number of potential forms to take.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You know what I bet Jones likes the most about people becoming a thing? She finally knows what the whole vocal chords thing is about. Seriously life must have been boring before people showed up.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Jones would have invented language, but she doesn't really like to talk much.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Jones would have invented language, but she doesn't really like to talk much.

She was too busy inventing the frown.

tsundair
Nov 4, 2012

I thought this was relevant.

Also, can you imagine Jones teaching a World History Class?

"So class, millions of years ago, <insert fact here>."
"Miss Jones, I don't really believe that."
"Bitch, I was there."

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Maybe Jones' first name was Theia?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The reason she's so bored all the time may just be because she's literally lived out every single event that's transpired over the course of earth's history countless times before. She looks like she's casually reading off of a script because she's seen how everything's going to play out, and likely sometime in the near future, Coyote or someone is going to send her all the way back to the beginning again.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That has to be the worst type of "Groundhogs Day" scenario.

tsundair
Nov 4, 2012
That's like Endless Eight, except with billions.

Endless Earth.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Tom drew the Madoka Magica cast. Apparently he hadn't seen the characters yet, and drew this while someone else explained the characters to him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

tsundair posted:

Also, can you imagine Jones teaching a World History Class?

"So class, millions of years ago, <insert fact here>."
"Miss Jones, I don't really believe that."
"Bitch, I was there."

Oh man, historians and paleogeologists at the Court must have basically exploded with delight when she joined up. (Assuming she's amenable to being interviewed)

If the Court has any such things. (I'd imagine they have geologists, dunno if they care much about history)

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
Or Jones plays off the whole 'perception makes it real' thing. She had to be around to see everything happen otherwise it wouldn't have happened at all.

She's just there to see things. That's it. I guess that makes her rather like the personification of History, if history wasn't just a bunch of academics arguing with each other.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I have had fun watching people speculate about what Jones is, only to see their theories destroyed in the next couple pages; so I figure I should make one myself.

Jones is Gaia.

She's been there since the Earth was formed, but was dormant. She awoke when complex life and ecosystems appeared.

tsundair
Nov 4, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

I have had fun watching people speculate about what Jones is, only to see their theories destroyed in the next couple pages; so I figure I should make one myself.

Jones is Gaia.

She's been there since the Earth was formed, but was dormant. She awoke when complex life and ecosystems appeared.

I've thought of this. Would it make sense for her to side with the Court, all the manmade mechanical stuff? Or is she there for a different reason? Hmm.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

tsundair posted:

I've thought of this. Would it make sense for her to side with the Court, all the manmade mechanical stuff? Or is she there for a different reason? Hmm.

She doesn't side with anyone. Whenever she refers to anyone, it's always "they" or "them" and never "we" or "us".

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Onean posted:

Tom drew the Madoka Magica cast. Apparently he hadn't seen the characters yet, and drew this while someone else explained the characters to him.

Pretty spot on, actually.

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat

Cat Mattress posted:

Jones is Gaia.

I'm going to hazard a guess we'll either see her floating in space, or being assembled from gas and dust.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

I saw GCC being mentioned in the mock threads but the first few chapters kinda were off-putting so I put it on the back burner. At least I got to read more from the archives :unsmith:

Man, what a pretty webcomic.

Thread posted:

*Jones speculations*

Wasn't the chapter title 'The Stone'? Would be a safe bet that it'll be related to Jones. Not necessarily related to what Jones is, of course. Then there's Coyote's remarks about stars in the sky.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Onean posted:

For not having seen any of the characters that's pretty accurate. I would buy a poster of that.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm happy with the pace, the comic should be written for the book/archives, not just for those of us reading along every week. :shobon:

I agree with this. I'd rather have a satisfying comic to re-read later on than a quick comic that I'd read only once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ha ha ha ha!

My god Tom, you are amazing. This comic and the comment are the best after these past few weeks. I do hope we'll learn more though.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 7, 2012