Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I switched to AdBlock instead of AdBlock Plus awhile back. Couldn't be happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.

Thermopyle posted:

I switched to AdBlock instead of AdBlock Plus awhile back. Couldn't be happier.

Agreed. I tried ABP to begin with and suddenly no pics would preview in Twitter along with other annoyances. Adblock works brilliantly without any configuration.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Recently, a lot of the buttons on SA like Reply, Quote, Report, and most of the icons next to subforums are broken. They appear fine in IE. Any idea what's going on?

Running 23.0.1271.60 beta-m

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tried disabling your extensions?

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Not running any.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh you mean images are broken? You could try clearing your cache, maybe mess with the options in chrome://flags that relate to DNS or HTTP, in case it's choking on stuff from a particular domain for some reason

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do Not Track is now available in Chrome 23 stable (but it's disabled by default).

To enable:

Click Settings

Click "Show advanced settings"

Check "Send a 'Do Not Track' request with your browsing traffic"

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Scrolling just got a whole lot snappier for me with the newest beta on OSX, like around 30 fps snappier. Looking at the revision log, there are a lot of tweaks to page rendering and scrolling in this update.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Chrome 23 changed something about file associations; before I could open certain media files (.mp4 for instance) in-browser which had a pretty handy video player and I'd use that for a lot of sites that had lovely flash players (Gametrailers) but with 23 the browser player won't open but instead prompts me to download the .mp4 itself. There's no option anywhere in Chrome to set it to always open .mp4 files in-browser. Is there any way around this?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Stare-Out posted:

Chrome 23 changed something about file associations; before I could open certain media files (.mp4 for instance) in-browser which had a pretty handy video player and I'd use that for a lot of sites that had lovely flash players (Gametrailers) but with 23 the browser player won't open but instead prompts me to download the .mp4 itself. There's no option anywhere in Chrome to set it to always open .mp4 files in-browser. Is there any way around this?

Does it happen for every video? I tried this link, and it worked fine for me. Dragging and dropping still works as well. If it's not every video, it's probably because the server is sending the wrong file type to Chrome.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

dpbjinc posted:

Does it happen for every video? I tried this link, and it worked fine for me. Dragging and dropping still works as well. If it's not every video, it's probably because the server is sending the wrong file type to Chrome.
Huh, that one works exactly as it did before. I thought it might just be Gametrailers but the issue came up after I updated Chrome, and Gametrailers don't have draggable links to the video files for some reason, nor can you copy the URL either, it just goes straight to the download option after you click it unlike before.

Chrome really needs to let people set up preferred actions for filetypes like every browser since forever.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Stare-Out posted:

Huh, that one works exactly as it did before. I thought it might just be Gametrailers but the issue came up after I updated Chrome, and Gametrailers don't have draggable links to the video files for some reason, nor can you copy the URL either, it just goes straight to the download option after you click it unlike before.

Chrome really needs to let people set up preferred actions for filetypes like every browser since forever.

Actually, Chrome is working like it should be. I checked Gametrailers using Wireshark, and it looks like whenever you click the Download button, the download server is sending the header "Content-Disposition: attachment". That prevents the browser from opening the file directly and instead causes it to ask you to save it. I don't know why Chrome was letting you open it directly before, but if it was receiving that header, it shouldn't have done so. The only way to change that would be with a custom extension.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well that's bizarre. I don't know why it let me do it before and I'm bummed I can't do it anymore. Ah well, thanks for the info.

nubdestoryer
Sep 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just downloaded Chrome after getting tired of IE9's random restarts and deleting of my cookies.

But the taskbar at the top is so huge, is there a way to make it smaller? Theres so much wasted space up there, those three lines on chrome (windows minimise/open line, tab line, and address line) could easily be compacted as one.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
If Chrome is maximized they are compacted into one line

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

nubdestoryer posted:

I just downloaded Chrome after getting tired of IE9's random restarts and deleting of my cookies.

But the taskbar at the top is so huge, is there a way to make it smaller? Theres so much wasted space up there, those three lines on chrome (windows minimise/open line, tab line, and address line) could easily be compacted as one.

How could you possibly fit the address bar and the tabs in one line? :confused:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Fuschia tude posted:

How could you possibly fit the address bar and the tabs in one line? :confused:

Internet explorer does this by having a half width address bar, since the address bar doesn't really need to stretch the length of the screen, and tabs next to it.

On the other hand, it doesn't have the address and tab line sitting on the title bar like the tabs do in chrome, so assuming a fully maximised window chrome and IE take up the same amount of space with the interface.

Rabo Karabekian
May 6, 2007
I only use Sateen Dura-Luxe

The Lord Bude posted:

Internet explorer does this by having a half width address bar, since the address bar doesn't really need to stretch the length of the screen, and tabs next to it.

On the other hand, it doesn't have the address and tab line sitting on the title bar like the tabs do in chrome, so assuming a fully maximised window chrome and IE take up the same amount of space with the interface.

I would probably use IE10 if it didn't handle tabs in that fashion. I'm used to having ~30 tabs open at any time, and IE can't display that many in that small space in a decent way (compared to Chrome, which can at least show Favicons at that point on my laptop).

Metro IE10 fixes it, but I hate the full-screen metro apps on my current laptop.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I've been having this problem with Facebook on Chrome in that it takes up a shitload of RAM eventually. As in the last time I killed it the Task Manager said it was taking 1.6 million K of RAM, which as high and sometimes even higher than the intensive games I play. Is there a way to limit Facebook from sucking so much RAM up?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Cowman posted:

I've been having this problem with Facebook on Chrome in that it takes up a shitload of RAM eventually. As in the last time I killed it the Task Manager said it was taking 1.6 million K of RAM, which as high and sometimes even higher than the intensive games I play. Is there a way to limit Facebook from sucking so much RAM up?

Are you using AdBlock Plus? There was some discussion on the last page about how AB+ was causing memory to build crazy fast if you had a certain option checked ("Disable inline text ads").

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Also, chrome://memory will show you what is using memory.

Bodybuilding Virgin 420
Aug 29, 2000

Check out this extension I wrote for text only zoom
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zoom-text-only/jamhfhbppcmkgghlkeieococonlbppjg

All the other extensions for it don't work correctly.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
It has been over a year now since they took away side tabs, and unfortunately it does not look like they have any plans on bringing them back. I've been using Firefox since but want to switch back to Chrome as soon as possible. Are there any decent extensions that handle side tabs?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

VerySolidSnake posted:

It has been over a year now since they took away side tabs, and unfortunately it does not look like they have any plans on bringing them back. I've been using Firefox since but want to switch back to Chrome as soon as possible. Are there any decent extensions that handle side tabs?

I would be so very happy if there was an extension that could do this.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Past few days Chrome has been acting really strange. Visiting certain websites such as http://www.any.do/ https://plus.google.com/ cause my tab to completely freeze or endlessly sit there loading. Opening Developer Tools results in an empty area where developer tools would be. Rest of my tabs work fine. Usually can just close that tab and avoid the web page but have no idea what is causing the page freeze. Running a handful of extensions like Ad Block Plus but even after disabling them, the specific pages still freeze. Very strange for Any.DO as I have never visited that page before.

Running Version 23 on Windows 7 x64.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

JerseyMonkey posted:

Past few days Chrome has been acting really strange. Visiting certain websites such as http://www.any.do/ https://plus.google.com/ cause my tab to completely freeze or endlessly sit there loading. Opening Developer Tools results in an empty area where developer tools would be. Rest of my tabs work fine. Usually can just close that tab and avoid the web page but have no idea what is causing the page freeze. Running a handful of extensions like Ad Block Plus but even after disabling them, the specific pages still freeze. Very strange for Any.DO as I have never visited that page before.

Running Version 23 on Windows 7 x64.

The issue is you're going to Google+, which no one uses. Kidding of course!

Does it work in incognito mode?

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

The issue is you're going to Google+, which no one uses. Kidding of course!

Does it work in incognito mode?

I've had this issue for almost a week straight. Somehow overnight the issue has finally resolved itself. Very strange.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is anyone else having weird flash performance? It freezes for a second, and stutters any other tab with flash when I am loading something. Related, because I don't know if it uses flash or not, the Falout 3 Nexus (http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/) was loading astoundingly slow and hanging for me today.

Chrome 23, Windows 7 64bit

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is anyone else having weird flash performance? It freezes for a second, and stutters any other tab with flash when I am loading something. Related, because I don't know if it uses flash or not, the Falout 3 Nexus (http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/) was loading astoundingly slow and hanging for me today.

Chrome 23, Windows 7 64bit

Go to chrome://plugins/ and you should have two flash modules. Disable the flash module in the AppData/Chrome folder and you should be good I think.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to open a webpage from my bookmarks without closing the bookmarks? I open a bookmarks folder and left click open a new tab and as soon as I've done that the folder closes. I don't want it to close.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bowmore posted:

Is there any way to open a webpage from my bookmarks without closing the bookmarks? I open a bookmarks folder and left click open a new tab and as soon as I've done that the folder closes. I don't want it to close.

Middle click or right click -> open in new tab/window?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's what I'm doing and it's closing my bookmarks

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

nevermind.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

bowmore posted:

That's what I'm doing and it's closing my bookmarks
The only way to do this is to open up Bookmark Manager (right-click "Other Bookmarks", you'll see "Bookmark manager" second from the bottom) and middle-click links.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
So I blow at spelling and use the 'dict' search engine all the time, but I've noticed lately that the history results come up before the search engine site. So I end up hitting dict, tab, tab, tab, tab <stuff>. The lack of omnibox configuration has really bothered me, anybody else run into this? Oh yea, you can delete the history item but as soon as you do the next search you have to tab tab tab again.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ILikeVoltron posted:

So I blow at spelling and use the 'dict' search engine all the time, but I've noticed lately that the history results come up before the search engine site. So I end up hitting dict, tab, tab, tab, tab <stuff>. The lack of omnibox configuration has really bothered me, anybody else run into this? Oh yea, you can delete the history item but as soon as you do the next search you have to tab tab tab again.

Using the space bar instead of tab to activate a search engine avoids this. Also note that you can configure the search key to be anything you want. I use two letter keys for everything.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Be careful with saving passwords in Chrome. An XSS exploit allows other people to easily intercept it: http://homakov.blogspot.dk/2012/11/xss-save-your-password-pwned.html.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

Be careful with saving passwords in Chrome. An XSS exploit allows other people to easily intercept it: http://homakov.blogspot.dk/2012/11/xss-save-your-password-pwned.html.
Well then, it looks like it might be time to start using a third-party password manager. What would you guys recommend? I've heard good things about LastPass, but I might end up using something that integrates with KeePass.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Karthe posted:

Well then, it looks like it might be time to start using a third-party password manager. What would you guys recommend? I've heard good things about LastPass, but I might end up using something that integrates with KeePass.
Whichever you prefer. I use LastPass myself with a Yubico key. Means I - and everyone else - can't just access my passwords with my LastPass password alone.

It also encourages using different passwords for each site, which can be a bit of a pain otherwise, but is by far the safest thing to do.

I'm not sure your solution is going to fix anything, though: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4847350.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Did Chrome on Mac break for anyone else? I'm on a 2012 MBA running 10.8.2, and a bunch of dynamic webpages are now causing Chrome to freeze up, with the stupid little beach ball. Pages affected include Gmail, slickdeals.net, and workflowy.com. I don't know what they have in common, but it's damned annoying.