Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

global tetrahedron posted:

I dunno, maybe I'm weird but I much preferred 2 Below to Snow Day. Isolation Ale is one of my favorite winter beers, and I found 2 Below to be similar. Snow Day just seems unremarkable in the wake of other dark malty/roasty winter seasonals.

Funny, I feel the opposite. 2 Below just seems like an amped up Fat Tire to me, and Fat Tire sucks. Whereas Snow Day has a nice orange and chocolate thing going on. It's not a typical high ABV winter warmer but that's not what they're going for and I think it fills a nice niche.

Edit: I wish they'd bring back Mighty Arrow, though. I friggin loved that beer, and I don't like Dig at all. That's the only season switch-up that seems like a giant downgrade. Somersault and Skinny Dip were both bad so I have no opinion there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish
I don't spend a lot of time in the thread, but I figured I should brag about this.

I was on a media junket to Boston and I got to do a tutored tasting of the Utopias 2012 with Jim Koch. That was pretty cool.

The maple syrup in there really dries out if it stays on your shelf long enough. I had the 2011 at a beer dinner the previous evening, so it really highlighted the difference.

Edit: Also, at Charles Street Liquors, I told them I was a Canadian beer writer and they added the new shipment of Backwoods Bastard and Breakfast Stout to the system so I could buy them. That was pretty super.

saints gambit fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 5, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Managed to score a 4-pack of Founders' Devil Dancer Triple IPA. This beer is a monster! Not sure I've ever had a stronger, hoppier beer; though I've never tried any of the 'extreme' beers like 120 minute IPA. It's quite good, though I can't really say the >$5 a bottle price tag is worth it. Founders is probably my favorite brewery, and IMO this doesn't really hold up to their real greats like Breakfast Stout or Double Trouble.

Also tried some Pumking over the weekend, and agreeing with the people who say it's not that great. Good beer overall but had kind of a weird artificial whipped cream aftertaste, and much too sweet for my taste. Schlafly's pumpkin ale blew it away this year, plus it was a lot cheaper.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

Sculpin, by the way, didn't live up to the hype. It has the soap flavor that I get with certain hops, but even the weak after taste I was unimpressed. Another hyped West Coast IPA that falls short of Two Hearted. Sorry.

Soap like how some people get that flavor from cilantro? What other beers have given you that kind of experience? I guess that's sort of like how Deviant Dale's tastes like an aspirin tablet to me, just purely on an individual palate.

I get mango from Sculpin, and it's my favorite fruit, and that's a big part of why I like it so much.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

air- posted:

Soap like how some people get that flavor from cilantro? What other beers have given you that kind of experience? I guess that's sort of like how Deviant Dale's tastes like an aspirin tablet to me, just purely on an individual palate.

A friend of mine has the same problem. Some hoppy beers taste like soap to him. The poor bastard can't drink any FW Union Jack or Double Jack because it.

He's okay with cilantro, though, so I don't think the two are related.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Just googled it and a 15 pack actually exist.

http://www.thebeveragestore.com/beer/miller-lite-18oz-15-pack.html

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jmcrofts posted:

Managed to score a 4-pack of Founders' Devil Dancer Triple IPA. This beer is a monster! Not sure I've ever had a stronger, hoppier beer; though I've never tried any of the 'extreme' beers like 120 minute IPA. It's quite good, though I can't really say the >$5 a bottle price tag is worth it. Founders is probably my favorite brewery, and IMO this doesn't really hold up to their real greats like Breakfast Stout or Double Trouble.

Devil Dancer is a seasonal and comes out in July. You might want to try to get your hands on some next year and try it out fresh to see how you like it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

air- posted:

I get mango from Sculpin, and it's my favorite fruit, and that's a big part of why I like it so much.

If you haven't you should get on Firestone Walker's Double Jack then.

Also looking at recent Devil Dancer ratings has me wondering if the beer is finally mellow enough to enjoy or if people are really that hung up on Founders. I don't think Founders can do anything over an IPA right, Double Trouble and Devil Dancer were just pretty awful unbalanced hop bombs.

Also me and the gf drank a Madruga Obscura and boy was that a weird sensation, I did not expect the sour from the pour, the concept of a sour stout is just foreign to me. Still I enjoyed it somewhat, I wish it was a little more balanced with the base beer and the sourness and the sour took up most of the flavor, but I'm just not huge on sours yet so maybe I'll love it in a year or so once my palate becomes used to sours.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Midorka posted:

Totally a fan of that as well, yeah - no distro to TX however. I split my fridge IPA rotation between (highest to low priority, but that shifts according to freshness): Sculpin, Maharaja, GF West Coast, Modus Hoperandi, and St. Arnold Endeavour. Whole Foods by my place also just tapped Big Eye, so hello $3 happy hour pints.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I miss Modus Hoperandi from whenever I went to Chicago. poo poo is tasty and very easily obtainable.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Trader Joe's just opened in my town and I picked up some of the Mission St IPA. That's the one that is contract brewed by Firestone Walker, right?

Also, a new place opened up that has a "pour your own" beer wall. You pay for a token with 32 oz. on it, then you can pour as much or as little of each beer as you want. Apparently it's only the 3rd of it's type in the US.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Retemnav posted:

Trader Joe's just opened in my town and I picked up some of the Mission St IPA. That's the one that is contract brewed by Firestone Walker, right?

Also, a new place opened up that has a "pour your own" beer wall. You pay for a token with 32 oz. on it, then you can pour as much or as little of each beer as you want. Apparently it's only the 3rd of it's type in the US.

It says it's brewed in Paso Robles, which is where Firestone is. There's a good chance I would wager, though I find it odd that Firestone has capacity to spare for anything other than it's own beer.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah Mission St is the exact same recipe as their Pale 31 pale ale, except 31 has a small amount of DBA blended into it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Midorka posted:

Also looking at recent Devil Dancer ratings has me wondering if the beer is finally mellow enough to enjoy or if people are really that hung up on Founders. I don't think Founders can do anything over an IPA right, Double Trouble and Devil Dancer were just pretty awful unbalanced hop bombs.

Also me and the gf drank a Madruga Obscura and boy was that a weird sensation, I did not expect the sour from the pour, the concept of a sour stout is just foreign to me. Still I enjoyed it somewhat, I wish it was a little more balanced with the base beer and the sourness and the sour took up most of the flavor, but I'm just not huge on sours yet so maybe I'll love it in a year or so once my palate becomes used to sours.
Even better, they have Double Jack in 12 oz. bottles now, although its a four-pack and not a six.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
SoCal goons, Barrel-Aged Speedway Stout is on sale now: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/293189

4 bottle max, about $28/bottle after ticket charges it looks like. Brewery pickup only.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

The SARS Volta posted:

Also bought the LoF Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout; taste report incoming

I've since had two bottles and think it's my second favorite Lips of Faith after Cocoa Mole.

Reminds me of Surly's Coffee Bender, but it's a lot smoother. Would love to have it off a nitro tap.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Brown Shugga has returned after a 2 year hiatus! So delicious and inexpensive. This one is dangerous though, I somehow managed to black out immediately after pouring myself another glass. So I woke up with a full glass of it poured the next morning.

It sneaks up on you.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Midorka posted:

I guess we have different taste, I LOVE Double Trouble. Like Sirotan mentioned the Devil Dancer I had was probably old as poo poo but I still thought it was alright, just nothing amazing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
In June I had Looking Glass, which is Devil Dancer aged in brandy barrels.

It was delicious.

Edit: and as I typed that I JUST realized why they call it Looking Glass. Well done Founders. :golfclap:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

escape artist posted:

Brown Shugga has returned after a 2 year hiatus! So delicious and inexpensive. This one is dangerous though, I somehow managed to black out immediately after pouring myself another glass. So I woke up with a full glass of it poured the next morning.

It sneaks up on you.
Oh god I hope Texas gets this. I will buy a loving case of it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Does Brown Shugga age well?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Midorka posted:

IMO, no. I'd keep it for 6 months, max. I've had it 2 years old and I thought it sucked.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Midorka posted:

This is a very contentious topic. I'll say yes, even if it becomes a very different beer than it is fresh. I'd say it's better fresh, but it really becomes a different, but still very good beer aged.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
All of this Brown Shugga talk upsets me, because I was unable to get any this year. It sold out super quick, and it arrived the one week I didn't go to the grocery store...

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 6, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'm conflicted on buying a 6 pack then, we'll see on the price. What I can say is Smuttynose's Really Old Brown Dog is great, it's got a nice toffee, brown sugar sweetness going on and nice medicinal grape/dark fruit esters on the finish, sort of port wine like. Very good value.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Kudosx posted:

All of this Brown Shugga talk upsets me, because I was unable to get any this year. It sold out super quick, and it arrived the one week I didn't go to the grocery store...

Go to Mikes bar and grille in Berea, it's on tap right now! I only drank most of it.

On a related note, I just noticed that Oskar Blues is now easy to find in ohio :3:

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Docjowles posted:

Yeah Mission St is the exact same recipe as their Pale 31 pale ale, except 31 has a small amount of DBA blended into it.

And Mission St. sometimes sits around for a long time before being purchased.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Kudosx posted:

There are cases upon cases of it at my local Giant... crazy

Glottis posted:

And Mission St. sometimes sits around for a long time before being purchased.

This is why I never buy it, no bottle date.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just throwing it out there as googling is leading me nowhere.

Anyone in Houston seen Brown Shugga anywhere?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I was at the store today to pick up some Chimay and saw they had a 150 year special. It was a bit expensive (7€ for a 750 ml bottle) but I was interested so I just picked up one. Haven't popped it open yet cause I got some things to do, but does anyone know this one and can tell me about it? Don't see it listed on wikipedia or their website.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

nwin posted:

Just throwing it out there as googling is leading me nowhere.

Anyone in Houston seen Brown Shugga anywhere?

Have you called Spec's on Smith Street or D&Q? Those would be the first places I'd try, but it might be difficult to find at this point. Limited quantities showed up in TX, so it could be all gone.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Boris Galerkin posted:

I was at the store today to pick up some Chimay and saw they had a 150 year special. It was a bit expensive (7€ for a 750 ml bottle) but I was interested so I just picked up one. Haven't popped it open yet cause I got some things to do, but does anyone know this one and can tell me about it? Don't see it listed on wikipedia or their website.

You're lucky. It was only sent to a few states.

http://www.beerpulse.com/2012/10/chimay-speciale-cent-cinquante-only-shipped-to-six-states-and-puerto-rico/

Modern Automaton
Sep 22, 2006
Dubiously Retarded

Boris Galerkin posted:

Here you go:

http://beerpulse.com/2012/06/chimay-speciale-cent-cinquante-set-to-arrive-in-the-u-s/

EDIT: Beaten by nanoseconds.

Content! How is "International Stout Day" in various regions? Here in AZ most of the craft bars tap tons of stuff and it turns out pretty good. The big player here Whole Foods is tapping an Avery Czar from 2010, notable because Avery doesn't distribute here any longer.

Modern Automaton fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 6, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Hey I may be driving through the state soon; where should I go for exciting beer times?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Well if you want one let me know it's everywhere in NJ and going nowhere at the price of $25.

Last night my gf bought a Lindeman's Pomme Lambic, and while I know it's not indicative of a "real" lambic, I enjoyed the hell out of it. It reminded me of an alcoholic version of Jones Soda's Green Apple Soda. Sweet and artificial but satisfying.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Modern Automaton posted:

Here you go:

http://beerpulse.com/2012/06/chimay-speciale-cent-cinquante-set-to-arrive-in-the-u-s/

EDIT: Beaten by nanoseconds.

Content! How is "International Stout Day" in various regions? Here in AZ most of the craft bars tap tons of stuff and it turns out pretty good. The big player here Whole Foods is tapping an Avery Czar from 2010, notable because Avery doesn't distribute here any longer.

Which whole foods is doing this? I thought the chandler location was the only one with a bar but I don't see anything on the events page about it.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

Docjowles posted:

It's a pretty solid beer. If you like it, stock up, because they've just cut over to Snow Day as their active seasonal. Which is fine by me, I really really like Snow Day.

How does snow day compare to the Red Hoptober in taste?

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Incursus posted:

They're totally different. Snow Day is more malty/sweet/roasty, whereas Red Hoptober will be crisper/cleaner and hoppier tasting.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Incursus posted:

I had snow day last year, and wasn't very fond of it. Reminds me a little of Sam Adams Winter Lager, but not as good IMO.

Agreeing with you that Red Hoptober is fantastic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Automaton
Sep 22, 2006
Dubiously Retarded

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Hey I may be driving through the state soon; where should I go for exciting beer times?

All of the good spots are in the "east valley" as it's called here. Tempe, Chandler, Scottsdale (if you're inclined to pull up a map); my bar Taste of Tops is a small 24 tap/500 bottle craft bar with a liquor store attached which is a good combo for most out of towners. That out of the way, sorry, there is a place in South Scottsdale called Papago which basically was the first real craft bar in Arizona proper. They have to-go beer as well, along with 30 or so taps and pub food, solid place. South of both of us is Whole Foods Chandler which is the big hitter these days with events every weeks and deep pockets. They have tons of stuff going on and off there, but it gets crowded fast and its in a market so that atmosphere is a little strange.

Some other names to throw out are Flannys, Four Peaks (biggest AZ brewer), Hungry Monk, World of Beer (chain from the east coast) and Moto (small sushi/craft bar in Phoenix).