Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I just bought an ATV3 but I'm unable to understand how this works, or maybe I got everything wrong, I want to do the following:

I have a NAS with mp4 (video) which I want to stream directly to the iPad without the need of a computer on the middle, is that possible? Or do I need a computer to stream to my iPad?

Billa fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Billa posted:

I just bought an ATV3 but I'm unable to understand how this works, or maybe I got everything wrong, I want to do the following:

I have a NAS with mp4 which I want to stream directly to the iPad without the need of a computer on the middle, is that possible? Or do I need a computer to stream to my iPad?
ATV or iPad is the target device? Oplayer, AirplayitHD, etc will stream direct from most NAS boxes. I don't know a way to direct stream from a NAS to AppleTV, but if you use one of those apps (or any of the tons like them) you can stream to your iPad and Airplay to the ATV. It'll keep playing even with the iPad screen off, and you can control by ATV or iPad.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Billa posted:

I have a NAS with mp4 which I want to stream directly to the iPad without the need of a computer on the middle, is that possible? Or do I need a computer to stream to my iPad?

I dont see how this has anything to do with the appletv3.

You need software on your ipad that can connect to network shares, goodplayer is one.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Don Lapre posted:

I dont see how this has anything to do with the appletv3.

You need software on your ipad that can connect to network shares, goodplayer is one.

I would like the Apple TV to connect to a library of videos I have on that NAS, and then the iPad to connect to that Apple TV, so the ATV3 acts as a bridge between the content and the iPad without the need of a computer powered on all the time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Billa posted:

I would like the Apple TV to connect to a library of videos I have on that NAS, and then the iPad to connect to that Apple TV, so the ATV3 acts as a bridge between the content and the iPad without the need of a computer powered on all the time.

Not gonna happen. Your Apple TV and iPad need to hit an iTunes share, whether it's on a NAS or a PC/Mac running iTunes.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Not gonna happen. Your Apple TV and iPad need to hit an iTunes share, whether it's on a NAS or a PC/Mac running iTunes.

Gah, thank you anyway, got the full stuff wrong :(

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Billa posted:

Why do you need a bridge? Just connect the iPad to the NAS directly using any of the apps mentioned.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Streaming video directly from a computer to an aTV (without itunes) is the killer app that makes jailbreaking so appealing.

I personally use Air Video to go PC->iPad->aTV, but I'm sure there a ton of other programs out there that do the same thing.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Voodoo posted:

Streaming video directly from a computer to an aTV (without itunes) is the killer app that makes jailbreaking so appealing.

I personally use Air Video to go PC->iPad->aTV, but I'm sure there a ton of other programs out there that do the same thing.
Yeah that is nice but if you have an iphone, ipad, or ipod it can replace the computer in that setup. Airplay is pretty awesome.

edit: I misread what you put. Yes, that's the airplay way if your vids are on a PC and you need them transcoded. I was thinking of a NAS source and skipping transcoding.

randyest fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 24, 2012

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Voodoo posted:

I just got an atv3 and am looking at AirParrot to go from pc -> atv, with mobile mouse to control it. Seems easier than converting or using an extra device in between.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I converted an .avi to .m4v with Handbrake with the ATV3 profile earlier today. The .m4v file plays perfectly fine in Quicktime, VLC and iTunes, but when streamed from that iTunes account to my ATV3, there's audio sync issues. First time this has ever happened - anything I can look at into this? The ATV3 is wired, and I've rebooted everything so far. Nothing.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I just picked up an Apple TV to function as a wireless link to play films from my PC. I've got Mobile Mouse to handle remote PC controls but is there some sort of app that will allow me to launch Airplay remotely?

I'd really like to just sit on my couch and kick everything off without going into the other room or using a remote desktop service.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

By Mobile Mouse I assume you mean the iOS app? If so, have you tried the Remote app from Apple...?

Wait, Airplay? So you're playing stuff not from iTunes? Again, if you've got an iOS device, AirVideo. If not I dunno.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Yea, my video library is a hodge-podge of formats most of which iTunes can't handle. What I'm doing is setting my iMac to Airplay and then using Mobile Mouse iOS application as a remote cursor / VLC controller.

I don't need any new software to stream video, I'd just like some method to remotely command my iMac to begin Airplay mirroring.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That's exactly why most of us use airvideo. Remote desktop on an iPad or similar isn't great when I've used it. Whereas airvideo has fast navigation and will get my pc to transcode video while playing. When you hit AirPlay on the airvideo app on iPad or whatever device the pc just streams to the ATV. So it does exactly what you're asking but with a better interface.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Mortanis posted:

Is there any sort of ETA on a fix for Hulu Plus for the ATV3? I gather the most recent update broke it. I just got my Apple TV the day of the patch, and Hulu Plus right after, but I've never been able to get it to work. Looks like the patch borked it all up, but that was a while ago now and I'd like to get some use out of it soon...
Are you using a wired connection? That's what is broken as far as I know. Switch to wireless, and it should work. Hulu Plus works fine for me.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm looking for a Mac app that I think I read about in this thread. It takes files you've downloaded from SAB and applies metadata to them so they look good in iTunes, I think?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
There's a goonmade app for this purpose called "Magic Media Marker".

It works pretty well but I have no idea if it's currently updated.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Wario In Real Life posted:

There's a goonmade app for this purpose called "Magic Media Marker".

It works pretty well but I have no idea if it's currently updated.

Thanks! My father-in-law might be able to use it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EC posted:

I'm looking for a Mac app that I think I read about in this thread. It takes files you've downloaded from SAB and applies metadata to them so they look good in iTunes, I think?
I use IVI for this. It also converts to right format if needed. $10 in MAS (used to be $4!)

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

smackfu posted:

I use IVI for this. It also converts to right format if needed. $10 in MAS (used to be $4!)

This is pretty neat!

Has anyone figured out an automated way to have files added to iTunes when they finish in SABnzbd? Seems like most things are released as .mp4 now anyway, so they could be added without conversion. Automated Sickbeard -> SAB -> iTunes -> watching on ATV would be pretty rad.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

tonic posted:

This is pretty neat!

Has anyone figured out an automated way to have files added to iTunes when they finish in SABnzbd? Seems like most things are released as .mp4 now anyway, so they could be added without conversion. Automated Sickbeard -> SAB -> iTunes -> watching on ATV would be pretty rad.

If there's a way to have the program move the completed file to a different folder, there's an "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder that gets continuously scanned: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3832?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

I have had it with my Apple TV, I have to unplug and plug back in every time I want to use it otherwise I get the "X is unavailable" message. I really wanted to avoid going to the genius bar to get belittled and told that its a "Netflix Issue" rather than having it replaced.

Do I have any options at this point?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Try doing a reset on the system and make sure the software is up to date?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

No. 6 posted:

Try doing a reset on the system and make sure the software is up to date?

That would be the same as restoring my iPhone, correct?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm not near my Apple TV right now, but I know for certain there is a way to check for software updates, and I'm almost sure there's an option to reset the device somewhere.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

No. 6 posted:

I'm not near my Apple TV right now, but I know for certain there is a way to check for software updates, and I'm almost sure there's an option to reset the device somewhere.

Within the menus there is a reset all settings option but it doesn't do poo poo. I do see that there is a micro usb port on the back, I guess I just hook it up to my computer and restore. Sigh.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have had it with my Apple TV, I have to unplug and plug back in every time I want to use it otherwise I get the "X is unavailable" message. I really wanted to avoid going to the genius bar to get belittled and told that its a "Netflix Issue" rather than having it replaced.

Do I have any options at this point?

Have you even been to the genius bar? They're not going to give you any hassle over a $99 device I assure you.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Have you even been to the genius bar? They're not going to give you any hassle over a $99 device I assure you.

Yeah, I worked at the Apple store for two years. I have personally given hundreds of customers a huge hassle over replacing the headphones that came with every iPhone, at the direction of the store manager. I assure you that even if something costs a nickel it could be a hassle.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Try a different Apple Store? Sounds like that manager is a dick.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Joe Don Baker posted:

Try a different Apple Store? Sounds like that manager is a dick.

Yeah, he got fired so I'm not too worried about it, just wanted to point out that just because something is only $99 it doesn't mean its going to be a guaranteed replacement.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yeah, I worked at the Apple store for two years. I have personally given hundreds of customers a huge hassle over replacing the headphones that came with every iPhone, at the direction of the store manager. I assure you that even if something costs a nickel it could be a hassle.
Dude you worked at a poo poo Apple Store.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Dude you worked at a poo poo Apple Store.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Was it the Kenwood, OH one? Because all the geniuses there are dicks.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Clarendon, VA

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I disagree, they waived a $750 repair bill on my 11-inch Air just because they felt bad.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm about to buy one of these. Is there a new Apple TV around the corner or should I just jump on the third edition? From what I can tell the Apple TVs have had a pretty long life cyce; I only ask because the iPad refresh seemed to happen more quickly than usual this year.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

I'm about to buy one of these. Is there a new Apple TV around the corner or should I just jump on the third edition? From what I can tell the Apple TVs have had a pretty long life cyce; I only ask because the iPad refresh seemed to happen more quickly than usual this year.

No one really knows. At least not until Apple figures out how to get their "Apple TV Set" past the networks and cable companies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Minidust posted:

Just get the 3. It's only $100. Even if Apple released a new one soon, you could always flip it for 50 or 60 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, there's really no telling when a new Apple TV will come out. There's no pattern to the releases at this point.

• Locked thread