Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

lampey posted:

I am looking at the CM Storm Trigger too. It looks good without being too much :pcgaming: and it has different switch types.
How well does the macro buttons work? Can you specify timing related to the key presses? Would you buy it again?

The macro buttons work quite well. You can specify timing just fine. The biggest issue is the software, which is ridiculously bloated (it's half a gig because every image is stored as a bitmap for some loving reason), but once you have the keyboard set up you don't need to ever use it again since everything is saved on the keyboard itself. I also have a squeaky space bar, but I'm pretty sure that's an easy fix, though I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

And yeah, I'd get it again without a second thought. The layout is perfect for me, the soft touch material is really nice, and as you said, it's got a bunch of nice features without looking too :pcgaming: and you can choose between a bunch of switch types. I have the brown ones, and love 'em, aside from the Cherry stabilizers mentioned earlier, although they don't bother me nearly as much as I thought they would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.
Newegg has the CM Storm Quick Fire with browns on sale for $70 today with coupon code EMCYTZT2461 plus a $10 MIR which brings it to $60 if those things are still worth your time. Not a bad price if you're on the fence about mechanicals or if you want a backup board or something (typing this on a Rosewill with browns picked up during a similar sale).

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Anyone looking for an original Model M should check this thread out on on SA-Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495965

The surplus company involved looks like they have a crapload of them and they are dirt cheap.

No SSKs though, I asked. :smith:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Do Filco not make UK layout Tenkeyless Majestouch-2 Ninjas with Black switches? I can't see one on The Keyboard Company's website. I want to be the nerd with the blank keycaps but I think Brown switches might be too light and the tactile bump might annoy me, how noticeable is the bump anyway?

They have a listing for the non-Ninja tenkeyless Majestouch-2 with Black switches so maybe I'll have to settle for that.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 5, 2012

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
The bump on the browns is very subtle. If you're playing an FPS or something and bottoming out your keys you hardly notice it at all. When typing, it's just enough to help you type lightly without bottoming out. I really like it and although I haven't tried a linear switch I imagine I would still prefer the browns.

What do you want to use the keyboard for? You could always get the non-Ninja and change the keycaps.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I'm at my computer a lot and I'd like a nice keyboard. I used to play lots of games; FPS, DOTA, whatever but I seem to barely play that much anymore. Dunno if it's because there is no good games at the moment or if it's because I'm done with them.

I doubt there are any places I could try different switches near me. I originally picked out the Black switches because they had a similar force to my current Logitech Illuminated.

If the tactile bump is barely there why are Browns so often recommended because of it?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I'm at my computer a lot and I'd like a nice keyboard. I used to play lots of games; FPS, DOTA, whatever but I seem to barely play that much anymore. Dunno if it's because there is no good games at the moment or if it's because I'm done with them.

I doubt there are any places I could try different switches near me. I originally picked out the Black switches because they had a similar force to my current Logitech Illuminated.

If the tactile bump is barely there why are Browns so often recommended because of it?

It is there, you can definitely feel the bump before it drops.
It's just a light key in general.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

It's enough that you can almost always tell if you pressed a key or not.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

It's there, it's just subtle. If your main aim is to get something that feels like your Logitech though, why not just stick with that out of interest?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
It was more that I'd like something with a similar force so the keys don't feel too light or I make typos all over the place, that's part of the reason why I originally wanted the Blacks, I tend to mash the poo poo out of my keyboard. The space bar is failing as well, which is why I'd like to replace it. I've no bias towards Logitech or this keyboard in particular, I just don't want to blow £120.

If the tactile part of the Browns is subtle then I'll probably give it a try. they don't have the Filco Ninja tenkeyless withs Brown in stock until December 3rd anyway and I don't know any other place in the UK to get them. If I can't get used to it I'll send it back and try the non-ninja tenkeyless with Blacks.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Illuminado posted:

I initially bought my HHKB2 with the intent of using it as my main keyboard, but there was one thing... That I didn't realize this...

I thought I could adapt. I TRIED to adapt, but I just can't. I could not play an FPS without my crouch being the bottom left most button, and I'd constantly whiff on it even after remapping all other keyboards Caps:: Ctrl on AHK. I now use it on my HTPC in the living room when I have to type something that I'd rather not do on a tiny keyboard, but it was a let down in that respect.

In a more direct answer to your question, it's pretty quiet. Doesn't make anywhere near the amount of noise that my Cherry Red switches make, much less the browns.

Control to caps-lock is a god send when it comes to non-gaming stuff. If you arent completely tied to fps, then the hhkb is awesome, but overpriced (I'm typing on one now and the feeling of the keys easily beats a mbpr)

If you're running a unix machine you should have remapped caps lock long ago, so the hhkb spares you the effort.

If you want the same key feel but in a larger size there's the topre realforce models, but they aren't nearly as cool.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Illuminado posted:

I initially bought my HHKB2 with the intent of using it as my main keyboard, but there was one thing... That I didn't realize this...

I thought I could adapt. I TRIED to adapt, but I just can't. I could not play an FPS without my crouch being the bottom left most button, and I'd constantly whiff on it even after remapping all other keyboards Caps:: Ctrl on AHK. I now use it on my HTPC in the living room when I have to type something that I'd rather not do on a tiny keyboard, but it was a let down in that respect.

In a more direct answer to your question, it's pretty quiet. Doesn't make anywhere near the amount of noise that my Cherry Red switches make, much less the browns.

Have you tried just remapping the HHKb? Isn't there a jumper or something that lets you reset it, or am I remembering this wrong?

Or just remap your keys in the game. Personally, I use 'v' for crouch.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Cream_Filling posted:

Have you tried just remapping the HHKb? Isn't there a jumper or something that lets you reset it, or am I remembering this wrong?

Or just remap your keys in the game. Personally, I use 'v' for crouch.

I remapped the Caps -> Control on all the keyboards I use on a regular basis still, but in my case, "V" is the voice command button, thanks Valve! Additionally, I've just been so comfortable with that Control Key, and using it as a modifier in every way with every other program, combined with the fact that I use a normal keyboard 8 hours of the day at work, it's just too far removed from what I'm comfortable with. The keyboard is cool, and I like it otherwise, but without any sort of key at the bottom that I can re-map, it's just too different from my normal typing layout.

As far as the toggle switches go, yes they exist and I have them remapped because I use the Windows key (in Win 7)for most everything. Most of my interaction with my Linux box is over PuTTy, so I don't need too much. Thankfully I don't have to code, and my limited aptitude for that keeps me dumb and happy any MS keyboard anyway.

I picked up that Rosewill bargain on Newegg, and I'm really liking it thus far.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

printf posted:

If you're running a unix machine you should have remapped caps lock long ago

To what? Why is this?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

chippy posted:

To what? Why is this?
You map Capslock to Control

Why? Tradition.

Also little finger strain reduction

Also Capslock is a worthless key

Close:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Because Caps Lock is where CTRL is supposed to be and CTRL is where Caps Locknothing is supposed to be.

VVVV

text editor fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 6, 2012

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

chippy posted:

To what? Why is this?

Because Caps Lock is where CTRL is supposed to be and CTRL is where Caps Lock is supposed to be.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Just ordered a CM Storm QuickFarts Rapid (dumb name) with Browns, hopefully I get an unbranded one. Read they're similar to Filco anyway. It was £62 from Scan so half the price of a Filco, too. No front printed keycaps like a Ninja that I was hoping for but my space bar is annoying me so gently caress it. The image on Scan has a non-UK layout but it's a UK version on the code, hope they don't gently caress me on this.

Do Logitech still do that poo poo where they send out stuff for RMAs without waiting to check the one you send them? Think they'd let me RMA a keyboard where the space bar only doesn't work sometimes if you press it on the left side?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 7, 2012

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

chippy posted:

To what? Why is this?

It's considered leet to do something that crusty greybeards were doing before you were born.

I'll fully admit capslock is a useless key though. Personally I rip mine off.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Caps lock is NOT useless. I use it to write constants in code.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How the hell else are you gonna yell at people on the internet easily without caps lock?

PLUS IT IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL. :coal:

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
I'm thinking of going mechanical, mainly for typing rather than gaming. I've noticed that most mechanical keyboards are pretty spartan and I've grown to like having volume keys on the keyboard. Backlighting is another feature I want.

This Razer Black Widow has five additional function/macro keys on it. Is it possible to program them for volume up/down, mute and to open the mixer menu?

Sunshine89 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 7, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

cliffy posted:

Why don't you just use shift?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Even when typing a significant amount of text in all caps I tend to use shift instead of caps lock. It's easier to just hold left shift down with my left pinky.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sunshine89 posted:

I'm thinking of going mechanical, mainly for typing rather than gaming. I've noticed that most mechanical keyboards are pretty spartan and I've grown to like having volume keys on the keyboard. Backlighting is another feature I want.

This Razer Black Widow has five additional function/macro keys on it. Is it possible to program the for volume up/down, mute and to open the mixer menu?

I agree with you that most mechs are way too underfeatured. Check out the Corsair K60/K90.
The only downside is that they only come in Red.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Sunshine89 posted:

This Razer Black Widow has five additional function/macro keys on it. Is it possible to program them for volume up/down, mute and to open the mixer menu?

Yes, but volume up/down and mute are alt functions of f1, f2, and f3 already.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

neongrey posted:

Yes, but volume up/down and mute are alt functions of f1, f2, and f3 already.

:doh: Oh well, that settles that.

I can still assign the mixer to one of them right?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Caps lock isn't useless. It's so useless I use it for push-to-talk. It's huge, easy to find and hit, and otherwise doesn't do anything. Perfect for push-to-talk.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Sunshine89 posted:

:doh: Oh well, that settles that.

I can still assign the mixer to one of them right?

Yes, absolutely. To any key you want.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
My girlfriend uses caps lock for all capitals, even single capitals at the beginning of words. She's so used to it that she does it really fast and stubbornly ignores everyone telling her she's insane. It's adorable.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

chippy posted:

My girlfriend uses caps lock for all capitals, even single capitals at the beginning of words. She's so used to it that she does it really fast and stubbornly ignores everyone telling her she's insane. It's adorable.

http://www.seattlepulp.com/technology-games/staff-picks/124395044.html

quote:

Typing tips from the world's fastest typist

Use caps lock instead of shift to type capital letters, as it is harder to be accurate when you have to hold and release the shift key while using other keys; it also allows for more flexibility as you can use both hands for typing.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Huh. I'm not showing her that, I'll never hear the end of it.

Thinking about this has made me realise that I never ever use the right hand shift key, always the left. Is that weird?

chippy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

chippy posted:

Huh. I'm not showing her that, I'll never hear the end of it.

Thinking about this has made me realise that I never ever use the right hand shift key, always the left. Is that weird?
You should be using right shift with keys on the right side of the keyboard, instead of hitting left shift with your pinky and stretching. This habit is a motherfucker to break :smith:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm not stretching, I'm pressing left shift with my left hand and the appropriate key with my right hand.

I really can't be arsed to try and change it, I type more than fast enough.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

cliffy posted:

SQL, too.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

krooj posted:

SQL, too.

Every SQL flavor that's relevant anymore is case-insensitive though, so you don't have to write keywords in all caps. Your boss might make you, but for no good reason other than "because I said so."

CapsLock for Ventrilo makes so much sense it's ridiculous. How have I not heard of that until now? That should totally be an explicit (even default) option in Vent.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

glompix posted:

Every SQL flavor that's relevant anymore is case-insensitive though, so you don't have to write keywords in all caps. Your boss might make you, but for no good reason other than "because I said so."

CapsLock for Ventrilo makes so much sense it's ridiculous. How have I not heard of that until now? That should totally be an explicit (even default) option in Vent.

I use my mouse for PTT. That's what those dinky little side buttons are for, usually my left hands doing all the heavy lifting, and I don't want to worry about straffing, mashing the reload button, and pushing the PTT screaming for support all at the same time.

Edit: Also, unless you outright disable the Caps Lock Function you'll go to talk and have ALL YOUR WORDS SHOWING UP ALL weird all the time, for no good reason, and look like a huge DOUUUUUUUCHE.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 7, 2012

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

shrughes posted:

Why don't you just use shift?

IF_THE_CONSTANT_IS_LONG_LIKE_THIS then I use CapsLock. Otherwise, I almost never use it, except to check if my keyboard is hooked up and recognized by the computer.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My CM Storm QuickFarts Rapid Brown just got here, don't know what to say except that it feels right. I straight up can't notice any tactile bump. The box says it's brown switches but I'm beginning to wonder if they trolled me and put a Black version in there. There is some resistance on the way down but it doesn't feel like the 'bump' that I was expecting, just feels less smooth I guess. Making a few more typos because it's waaay shorter than my Logitech Illuminated. The weight of the switches actually feels pretty good, not too light. I thought it might be because I was on scissor switches before but the extra travel speed makes up for it I think.

I got an unbranded one as well, looks pretty good. Almost don't want to type on it so I don't ruin it with my sweaty fingers.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 8, 2012

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you live in New York or Illinois and want a cheap Rosewill keyboard but are pissed that Newegg won't sell them to you, you can still get these ones with a discount coupon today:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201051
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201052

Newegg apparently forgot to put the shipping restriction on them. They're white body / black keycaps, so pretty drat fugly. But, $75! And they don't have gamer logos or "quick fire" printed on the spacebar. I'll probably take mine apart and spray paint the shell with some nice carbon black at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

My CM Storm QuickFarts Rapid Brown just got here, don't know what to say except that it feels right. I straight up can't notice any tactile bump. The box says it's brown switches but I'm beginning to wonder if they trolled me and put a Black version in there. There is some resistance on the way down but it doesn't feel like the 'bump' that I was expecting, just feels less smooth I guess. Making a few more typos because it's waaay shorter than my Logitech Illuminated. The weight of the switches actually feels pretty good, not too light. I thought it might be because I was on scissor switches before but the extra travel speed makes up for it I think.

I got an unbranded one as well, looks pretty good. Almost don't want to type on it so I don't ruin it with my sweaty fingers.

You can easily tell what switch it is by pulling a keycap and seeing the actual colour of the switch stem

• Locked thread