Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Zwabu posted:

Skyrim, unless it needs to be guns instead of swords, arrows, axes, hammers and firebolts.

Nah, I was talking about more with guns.

pigdog posted:

You'd think there are more games following Borderlands' pattern, but there aren't.

Try Wolfenstein (the relatively new one).

Will investigate. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

I'm looking for a mainly single-player FPS with lots of customization, be it of player or weapons or whatever, that isn't Borderlands.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Deus Ex games
System Shock / Bioshock games
Fallout: New Vegas maybe

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Talibananas posted:

Deus Ex games
System Shock / Bioshock games
Fallout: New Vegas maybe

Played all of those multiple times, except Fallout, because I'm not a fan of the setting. Thanks for trying though.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Played all of those multiple times, except Fallout, because I'm not a fan of the setting. Thanks for trying though.

What about the STALKER games?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Zwabu posted:

What about the STALKER games?

Tried it and got really annoyed at not being able to hit poo poo from 50ft+.

Plus I'm a massive chickenshit when it comes to horror games :ohdear:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

Tried it and got really annoyed at not being able to hit poo poo from 50ft+.

Plus I'm a massive chickenshit when it comes to horror games :ohdear:

Once you get a weapon with a scope the guns actually become too accurate. You probably tried the first one, consider giving the latest one a shot (Call of Pripyat).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Osmosisch posted:

Once you get a weapon with a scope the guns actually become too accurate. You probably tried the first one, consider giving the latest one a shot (Call of Pripyat).

Not sure on the order of them, but it's Shadow of Chernobyl I have. I really love the concept of it, but as I say, massive child when it comes to horror games. Although I'll get through it if it's good enough.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

WickKLN posted:

Franchise Hockey Manager is supposed to be released this December/January
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/fhm-general-discussions/

I know literally nothing about it except it is from the same umbrella that makes a pretty bad rear end baseball simulator. I know in the baseball sim that one of the options is to play with real teams and fictional players.

I actually found that one while I was looking around to see if there were any available. I'll keep an eye on it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

VogeGandire posted:

Not sure on the order of them, but it's Shadow of Chernobyl I have. I really love the concept of it, but as I say, massive child when it comes to horror games. Although I'll get through it if it's good enough.

Shadow of Chernobyl is completely unplayable to me for the exact reason you stated. Call of Pripyat (the third game) is probably one of my favorite games. It should go on sale for real cheap during the november Steam sale, and definitely during the Christmas one. I strongly recommend it if the aiming was the main issue you have.

Though it's kind of the same setting as Fallout New Vegas?

And maybe Eye: Divine Cybermancy has weapon customization? I think it does, but I could never really tell what was going on in that game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
EYE Divine Cybermancy is a really good game, especially in co-op but the SP is very fun regardless. Just keep in mind that it's a "make your own difficulty" kind of game where you can do things that make it very easy or very hard, both because the balance isn't that great and there's no restrictions on changing the two difficulty settings in the options menu(no shame in it). It's a paranoid schizophrenic's love letter to Deus Ex.

The Stalker Complete mod for Shadow of Chernobyl makes it play much more like Call of Pripyat, FYI.

The Stalker games are some of the finest of this generation. In my mind, they(or at least SoC and CoP, I didn't play the second one) stand up against the likes of Deus Ex, System Shock 1/2, and Ultima Underworld.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Alright goons, time for Drakenel and his reluctant 4x fetish again

Little more specific this time. I played through alpha centauri again, and just won by playing Deidre and overrunning all the other factions with mind worms and not really understanding how bases work beyond 'put them near resources, they sort themselves out mostly'

Anyway. I was looking at endless space. And it looks kind of cool. But my question is, how... approachable is it? Am I going to regret my purchase by way of being hit with a staggering mountain of detail that I've no idea what any of it does or is it newbie friendly? And if you know 4x games that let me roleplay as a sort of douchey militant nation (I love diplomacy regardless) that won't make me turn off the game in disgust, throw em at me.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Drakenel posted:

Alright goons, time for Drakenel and his reluctant 4x fetish again

Little more specific this time. I played through alpha centauri again, and just won by playing Deidre and overrunning all the other factions with mind worms and not really understanding how bases work beyond 'put them near resources, they sort themselves out mostly'

Anyway. I was looking at endless space. And it looks kind of cool. But my question is, how... approachable is it? Am I going to regret my purchase by way of being hit with a staggering mountain of detail that I've no idea what any of it does or is it newbie friendly? And if you know 4x games that let me roleplay as a sort of douchey militant nation (I love diplomacy regardless) that won't make me turn off the game in disgust, throw em at me.

I'd say Endless Space is kind of the opposite. It is absolutely enthralling from the get-go as a new player. The mechanics are relatively straightforward to learn and you will love it for your first few games. Its flaw lies on the other end of the scale, it is so accessible that it becomes tedious after about 20 hours of gameplay. Now thats a decent amount of hours for your money, on par with much stuff on offer these days, but it doesn't have the depth and complexity to keep you interested as long as other 4X games. Its a really good game and worth a purchase, but its so non-complex that while you won't be regretting your purchase for the initial mountain of detail you may later regret your purchase for the mountain of repetitivity.

It kind of goes without saying that GalCiv 2 is the staple for what you describe. Its diplomacy system at least blows Endless Space out of the water.

U4RiiA
Dec 26, 2011

Corridor posted:

EDITED UPDATE - I am pretty much done with my OP request now, having received many great suggestions to go on, so don't be afraid to hijack this thread for all your own personal game request needs! All the cool kids are doin' it.

Thanks for the invitation. I'll bite.

I've played through all of my favorite series, and I've hit a dry spell. I'm currently playing on a PS3, but have a special affinity for Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Daggerfall. Is there anything recent enough to be played on a PS3 that comes close? The series I currently follow are Final Fantasy, Fallout, Dragon Age, and Elder Scrolls.

The next release dates are tentatively 'late 2013'. Please help me find a time sink before then! Thank you for any suggestions.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

U4RiiA posted:

Thanks for the invitation. I'll bite.

I've played through all of my favorite series, and I've hit a dry spell. I'm currently playing on a PS3, but have a special affinity for Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Daggerfall. Is there anything recent enough to be played on a PS3 that comes close? The series I currently follow are Final Fantasy, Fallout, Dragon Age, and Elder Scrolls.

The next release dates are tentatively 'late 2013'. Please help me find a time sink before then! Thank you for any suggestions.
Definitely check out Dragon's Dogma. It's a Japanese take on the open-world style of RPG with a unique take on party creation. You might also like Kingdoms of Amalur, a competent Elder Scrolls clone that's weighed down a bit by a lot of optional fetch quests, but if you don't feel the need to 100% it the main story and faction quests are alright.

Apart from those, Dishonored just came out. It's a first-person immersive sim that's more steamlined than something like Fallout 3 or Skyrim but really great if you like the exploration in those games.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

J-Spot posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur, a competent Elder Scrolls clone
Seriously, where the hell do people get this notion? :psyduck:
KoA has really little in common with TES, apart from being fantasy and being something of an RPG. It's more like Diablo meets single player MMORPG. A fun game and worth trying, yes, but sure as hell not a TES "clone" in any sense of the word.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Looking for a driving/racing game for the PC. I don't have a wheel, just an xbox controller but I've been having a lot of fun with the Need for Speed games over the last couple of years, namely: Hot Pursuit, Shift 2 and Most Wanted. I've also played Blur but found it wanting. Oh and I've played Driver: San Francisco which was excellent. Basically I want a driving game that has good single player and the option for decent customization as a bonus. Don't want anything too complicated unless it has a fair learning curve.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

Nordick posted:

Seriously, where the hell do people get this notion? :psyduck:
KoA has really little in common with TES, apart from being fantasy and being something of an RPG. It's more like Diablo meets single player MMORPG. A fun game and worth trying, yes, but sure as hell not a TES "clone" in any sense of the word.

What is generally considered the Elder Scrolls series' closest cousin in terms of structure and overall feel? Two Worlds maybe?

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Can anyone recommend a good character driven game. It can be action/RPG/shooter as long as there's some decent characterisation and storytelling. On PC.

I've played most of the big release RPG's in recent years. Favourite being the original Witcher. Is GTA 4 any good in this regard?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Can anyone recommend a good character driven game. It can be action/RPG/shooter as long as there's some decent characterisation and storytelling. On PC.

I've played most of the big release RPG's in recent years. Favourite being the original Witcher. Is GTA 4 any good in this regard?

L.A. Noire!

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar
GTA4 is decent in the story/character department. Really the main complaint is that sometimes there is a big disconnect between cutscenes and what happens in gameplay, making Nico (your avatar) come off as schizophrenic at times. Moreso than usual in these games.

Instead of GTA4, I'd recommend Sleeping Dogs, which is a Grand Theft Auto game with kung-fu hijinks. The story is simplistic, it follows a cop infiltrating the Hong Kong triads, but the writing and characterization are solid.

^^^^
Also, LA Noire, which feels like a low-key GTA clone written by Joseph Wambaugh James Ellroy.

Forgedbow fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 6, 2012

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Forgedbow posted:

GTA4 is decent in the story/character department. Really the main complaint is that sometimes there is a big disconnect between cutscenes and what happens in gameplay, making Nico (your avatar) come off as schizophrenic at times. Moreso than usual in these games.

It sorta depends on your playstyle. If you enjoy going on massacres and engaging cop cars with rocket launchers, the story loses a lot of it's impact. I preferred doing powerslides and driving against traffic on the highway, in which context Nico's character made sense, somewhat.

The Mass Effect series is actually pretty good at this.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Forgedbow posted:

Also, LA Noire, which feels like a low-key GTA clone written by Joseph Wambaugh James Ellroy.

I'm not so sure it holds much in common with GTA. It is a much more directed experience, with simple driving sections and brief action scenes.

It's more of an 'open' world adventure game, with light point and click style mechanics and an interesting interview system. Nonetheless, it contains some fantastic narrative arcs (which are way better than most GTA), and a nice level of characterization, which is further emphasised by the superb production values.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

thexerox123 posted:

L.A. Noire!

I really enjoyed the game. It's also pretty much Mad Men: The Game, as a number of Mad Men and other actors are appearing in it, and you're literally playing as Ken Cosgrove.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I've really like The Walking Dead adventure games. Are there any good adventure games out on the Wii or Xbox360? I'm not much into PC gaming. How was the Jurassic Park game Telltale released?

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

CowboyAndy posted:

I've really like The Walking Dead adventure games. Are there any good adventure games out on the Wii or Xbox360? I'm not much into PC gaming. How was the Jurassic Park game Telltale released?

Very very bad. Walking Dead was a massive saving grace for them.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I'm looking for something like God of War 3 for my friend. He isn't much of a gamer but he really loves that game, I think it's the various ways that things die or something. Beyond the other two games in that series, is there anything that has the same sort of style of game play?

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Lugaloco posted:

Very very bad. Walking Dead was a massive saving grace for them.

Ah, okay.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think XBL has the monkey island remakes.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Esmerelda posted:

I'm looking for something like God of War 3 for my friend. He isn't much of a gamer but he really loves that game, I think it's the various ways that things die or something. Beyond the other two games in that series, is there anything that has the same sort of style of game play?
The Darksiders games are pretty much more of that same gameplay.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Esmerelda posted:

He could also try the Force Unleashed games. Lot's of light saber swinging, and bonus force powers.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Starblind posted:

What is generally considered the Elder Scrolls series' closest cousin in terms of structure and overall feel? Two Worlds maybe?

First thing to come to mind for me are the Gothic games or maybe Risen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alpha Protocol.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

CowboyAndy posted:

It looks like the Sam & Max games are also available on XBLA. While not as good as TWD, they're generally well regarded. I would recommend giving S3 a shot first, since it's probably the best, and most of the callbacks to the earlier seasons are pretty well explained in the game itself.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I'm looking for anything set in Imperial China for PC or PS3. I've played Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and the Dynasty Warriors games, and also Emperor: ROTMK on PC. Ideally something set in historical China, so not a game like Jade Empire. Any genre is good.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Thanks for the recommendations, Sleeping Dogs sounds like a good shout. I've payed LA Noire and enjoyed it a lot but for a game that relies on a few mechanics it does drag on for about 10 hours more than it should. Also loved Alpha Protocol and gutted that we won't see a sequel.

U4RiiA
Dec 26, 2011
Thank you for the recommendations. The debate over TES clones makes Kingdom of Amalur sound even more interesting. Next time, I'll know enough to join in. Thank you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VogeGandire posted:

Crysis, Crysis: Warhead or Crysis 2. All have customization options for your weapons, and your Nanosuit has several mod slots you can switch between (four catagories, one active from each at any time. You have to purchase each through an in-game currency gathered from killing a specific type of enemy though. It's plentiful enough to purchase every possible one by the end of the game though) in Crysis 2.

CowboyAndy posted:

I've heard good things about Zack and Wiki on the Wii. Also, the Phoenix Wright games have WiiWare versions if you haven't played them.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 7, 2012

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Arrinien posted:

I'm looking for anything set in Imperial China for PC or PS3. I've played Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and the Dynasty Warriors games, and also Emperor: ROTMK on PC. Ideally something set in historical China, so not a game like Jade Empire. Any genre is good.

Prince of Qin, it's a shittier Baldur's Gate, and it's sorta historical, but there is magic and things.
Fate of the Dragon, it's like a Age of Empires set in 3 Kingdoms.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I've got a bit of a hankering for an open world-ish fantasy RPG for PC. Substantial character customisation/progression is a must because yes, I totally do like playing virtual dress-up. :shobon: Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur (and Darksiders 2, if anything was going to bring it up) are out, but I think those are the only recent entries in the genre I've played. Something I've been eyeing despite it being a MMO (single player really is all I care about) is Guild Wars 2, but maybe that isn't a good choice? I don't know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

MMAgCh posted:

I've got a bit of a hankering for an open world-ish fantasy RPG for PC. Substantial character customisation/progression is a must because yes, I totally do like playing virtual dress-up. :shobon: Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur (and Darksiders 2, if anything was going to bring it up) are out, but I think those are the only recent entries in the genre I've played. Something I've been eyeing despite it being a MMO (single player really is all I care about) is Guild Wars 2, but maybe that isn't a good choice? I don't know!

There is a fair amount of customization in GW2 regarding dyes, and you can transmute the skin of one thing with the stats of another. Lots of interesting armor skins. I've been having a lot of fun with it.
GW2 works fine as a loner. Ad hoc "groups" form easily around events without having to actually negotiate anything or form a real group, and drops and resource nodes are individual so there's no competition. You also don't have to deal with quests or anything (beyond the one personal story quest). It's pretty neat.