Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

I'll bid my 2011 Roy Halladay for 2006 Halladay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Switch Danny Haren and Ian Kennedy, making Haren an SP and Kennedy long relief

Also, for the Super Auction, the Air Raid submit 2000 Ellis Burks, 2011 Mark Trumbo and our second round pick for 1985 Wade Boggs

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Spooners

Analysis

Frank white has a good glove, but he's never going to hit. Your rotation is one pitcher shy of being good. These problems are fixable. Jon Lester is a flyballer in a league with many, many many hitters who can mash it out of the park at the slightest provocation. Unlike Pettite, his DICE is about the same as his ERA, and I'm not sure he'll come around. Pettite will though.

But... Lester and Pettite aren't on my team? :confused:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Super-Auction!

It is time to liquidate the Superstars. As a result, I am putting their remaining assets up for auction. Here's how the bidding will work:

-Any owner with a team, Expansion or Super-League, can bid, and can bid as many times as they like.

-Owners can bid anything they want, players, draft picks, whatever. But, they can't include the same players/draft picks in multiple bids at the same time.

-I will decide how much a bid is worth, and whether it is more than the current bid for a player.

-The Super-Auction will run for a few days, probably until the end of the week.

-Enjoy.

Players on the auction block

Catchers
'98 Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez (Ineligible for 16 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '99 Jose Canseco and '99 Fred McGriff (OXB)
'06 Bengie "Not as good as Yadier, better than Jose" Molina
Current Bid: '40 Birdie Tebbetts (CHO)
'11 Jack "Action" Lapp
Current Bid:

First Basemen
'64 Harmon "Killer" Killebrew
Current Bid: '74 Steve Garvey (SJE)
'09 Travis "Pronk" Hafner
Current Bid:

Second Basemen
'11 Larry "El Zilcho" Gardner
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge
'34 Odell "Bad News" Hale
Current Bid:
'10 "Thunder" Jim Delahanty
Current Bid:
'68 Dick "The Downward Spiral" McAuliffe
Current Bid:

Third Basemen
'85 Wade "Wade" Boggs
Current Bid: '00 Ellis Burks, '11 Mark Trumbo and 2nd Round Dispersal Pick (SPO)
'96 "Doomsday" Matt Williams
Current Bid: '70 Lou Brock, '10 David Aardsma and '98 Bill Spiers (NOM)
'11 David "Deep" Freese
Current Bid: '98 Shane Reynolds and 1 Ratings Challenge (NOM)
'09 "The Fall of" Troy Glaus
Current Bid:

Shortstops
'97 Derek "Gift Basket" Jeter (Ineligible for 33 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '82 Robin Yount and '65 Bob Allison (CUN)
'09 Jhonny "Spell Check" Peralta
Current Bid:

Left Fielders
'66 Frank "The Thunder God" Robinson
Current Bid: '89 George Brett (CUN)

Center Fielders
'01 Andruw "Name Not Found" Jones (Ineligible for remainder of Super-League VII)
Current Bid: '19 Max Flack (PHF)
'06 Vernon "Not the dude from Mad Max" Wells
Current Bid:
'19 Happy "The Gambling Man" Felsch
Current Bid:
'54 Larry "The Team Killer" Doby
Current Bid: 3rd Round Dispersal Draft Pick (NOM)

Right Fielders
'03 Vladimir "How does a walk work?" Guerrero
Current Bid: '74 Jimmy Wynn (SJE)
'75 Dwight "Mr. Naptime" Evans
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (PHF)

Starting Pitching
'41 Bucky "Buckford" Walters
Current Bid: '74 Al Downing (SJE)
'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay
Current Bid: '11 Roy Halladay (WAU)
'06 A.J. "Depression that Walks like a man" Burnett
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (RCH)
'66 Steve "Sting" Carlton
Current Bid: '00 Curt Schilling (RYL)
'98 David "Flash-man" Cone
Current Bid: '08 Ted Lilly (RYL)
'09 Chris "gently caress the Cardinals" Carpenter
Current Bid: '91 George Bell (CHO)
'78 John "The Candy Man" Candelaria
Current Bid: '04 Russ Ortiz

Relievers
'61 Stan "A Man" Williams
Current Bid: '89 Jeff Montgomery (RYL)
'01 John "I love New York" Rocker
Current Bid: 1 Rating Challenge (RYL)
'86 "The Eternal" Jesse Orosco
Current Bid: '81 Jeff Reardon (RYL)
'06 B.J. "The Beej" Ryan
'78 Tug "Tugglesworth" McGraw
Current Bid: '11 Jeremy Affeldt (OXB)
'09 Jason "Applesauce" Motte
Current Bid: '64 Joe Adcock and 1 Ratings Challenge (NOM)
'90 Dan "Don Pleasance" Plesac
'11 "Dead Man" Joaquin Benoit
Current Bid:

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 7, 2012

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN

Well I was out bid fast.
Let's try this:
'78 John "The Candy Man" Candelaria for Russ Ortiz (2004)

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
I'm really sorry I had to abandon my simming of the EC, guys. Please don't hate me or Cthulhu or Goog for all the errors.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

cbx posted:

I'm really sorry I had to abandon my simming of the EC, guys. Please don't hate me or Cthulhu or Goog for all the errors.

S'all good, man.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Dynamo League Week 23 Injury Report

No New Champions

Burma Imperialists
Zack Greinke (SP) (Zack Greinke's social anxiety is nothing to make fun of. Well, maybe a little) - 16 days

Old Hoss Radbourns
Hoyt Wilhelm (RP) (Immolated Self to place Coburn) - Out for Season

Rockford Losers
Joe Cronin (SS) (A sizable donation from the estates of the Viscount Slim) - Out for Season

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Maths bid one of my two remaining ratings challenges on '11 Larry Gardner.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

mentholmoose posted:

A couple things:

1. I should definitely have the DH. Will Ortiz be put back in at DH for the next simulation? Or am I just screwed?

Sorry, he was always in the lineup, I just posted the wrong screenshots for your team!

Here are the right ones:

http://lpix.org/926822/Team13-EDefenceDESIGNATEDHITTER.PNG

http://lpix.org/926820/Team13-DLineupDESIGNATEDHITTER.PNG

quote:

But... Lester and Pettite aren't on my team?

Okay the problem here is I am an idiot! If the worst thing wrong is I put the wrong analysis under your team

Spl;intoff's DICE is even worse than his ERA.

Helton would be better at #4 than Rolen - he's got Rolen's power and a better batting eye.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Might as well bid on a few of my old charges.

1985 Paul Molitor for '66 Frank Robinson

1 ratings challenge for '10 Jim Delahanty

2 ratings challenges for '06 B.J. Ryan

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lineups!

vs. Righties
LF Kelley
CF Speaker
2B Stephenson
RF Snider
1B Hodges
C Campanella
3B Cronin
SS Sewell

vs. Lefties

3B Cronin
CF Speaker
RF Kelley
1B Hodges
2B Robinson
C Campanella
LF Selbach
SS Sewell

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I was unclear in my question about EC teams and ratings challenges: if I bid a ratings challenge and win, does that simply use it for the duration of the EC?

Also, Cthulhu, could you clarify the plans for EC simming? Are we sticking with monthly sims? If so, I assume the next one is just going to finish out June? Is there a planned schedule for sims (aka, should I stress about my lineups or the auction first)?

Anyway, you know what, let's have a :siren: Ratings Challenge :siren:

FACT: Boog Powell hit .290/.399/.606 in 1964, a wRC+ of 177 (just one "6" removed from the year of the Declaration of Independence :patriot: ).

FACT: Boog Powell's BABIP that year was just .284, not significantly above his career norms.

FACT: Boog Powell's career wRC+ was 134, including above-average numbers from 1963 to 1975 (just one year before the Bicentennial :patriot: ).

FACT: Boog Powell, though just 22 in 1964, had already had a well above-average hitting season, and nearly replicated his numbers soon after. Though he had not peaked, he wasn't a rookie.

FACT: Boog Powell appears to have been an average defender at 1B/LF, by the stats (a defender of the middle class :patriot: ).

FACT: Boog Powell's amazing skill is recognized by Mogul with a 97 potential rating, but his 80 actual rating does not match up. Even through 2+ months of sim, he has yet to have his rating grow.

FACT: Boog Powell has a cool as hell name, and by god that still counts for something in this country. :patriot:

FACT: Boog Powell is hitting just .156/.206/1 with poor defense, being outhit by the likes of Luis Aparicio and Freddie Sanchez. :911:

CONCLUSION: Right now, we face dark times. But in those times, just one ray of light can sometimes be enough to show us the way. That ray of light is at hand. The way forward is clear. Choose freedom. Choose America. Choose the team beating Bruiser. Above all, choose dingers. Choose Boog Powell.

:patriot::shobon::patriot::slick::toot:

e: Just to be clear despite the hype I'm not expecting Boog to transform into an elite bat, but I do think a .200 OBP with (as far as I can tell) not much power is pretty rough.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 8, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VII, Smasher League Week 22: The Important Thing is NOT That You Tried

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

LANDERS OUTLAST MUDHOLES 7-6 IN 12

Moonbase 0-2- The Mudholes gave their best effort, but the Landers were ultimately too much for the ailing Madison club.

The middle innings were the most interesting part of this game as, for four straight innings, the Mudholes scored a run at the top of the inning to take a narrow lead and, for four straight innings, the Landers responded by tying the game, but could not take a lead of their own.

This state of affairs continued to the 12th inning when, in an attempt to rally his team, theacox, owner of the Mudholes, launched into an impromptu singalong of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing". This did not do much for the Mudholes, who failed to score in the top of the inning, but it did fire up mrnoun, the Landers' owner, who ordered his team to "KILL THEM ALL! NO SURVIVORS! THE BLOOD OF THESE MEN WILL MAKE THE MOON SOIL BLOOM WITH FLOWERS!"

This appeal to unremitting savagery proved to be the difference, as the motivated Landers were able to take advantage of a Pedro Alvarez wild pitch and a Howie Pollet to score the winning run. Eddie Collins, who hit the game-winning RBI single, told reporters that it was his duty as member of the Landers to win the game after the Journey incident. "It is the central directive of the Luna Landers that our victories are for the greater glory of Progressive Rock, the most exalted and misunderstood form of music. To allow the singing of a Journey song, that most offensive of all late-70s pop rock bands in our home field was bad enough, a dagger in our hearts, but to allow them to then escape with a win? That just couldn't happen."

theacox was a bit confused, "Prog Rock? Really? I thought that was all dead. Also, what the gently caress's wrong with singing some Journey after you've had 20 beers? It's loving awesome to sing "Don't Stop Believing" after drinking a ton of beers. Hell, that's basically what I did every Saturday night during college. Almost failed out twice. I guess I'm also a bit disappointed by our third baseman situation, I mean, maybe it's the brain damage from drinking so much, but you would have thought I was smart enough to put Kurowski at third and move Braun to DH by now. Guess not, though."

The Mudholes were then forcibly removed from the moon, and told they could never return, to which theacox then drunkenly asserted that he'd "make his own moon! And it'll be way bigger and better than your loser moon, even if the tidal forces unleashed by my new moon kills millions living along the coasts!"

Box Score

Don May posted:

MATHEMATICIANS BLANK SUPERSTARS 5-0, WISH THEM WELL ON FUTURE ENDEAVORS

Milton Keynes- Much like the 2012 Presidential Race, corporations in the Super-League did not quite live up to their hype.

For that reason, in the aftermath of an attempted scheme by the Superstars' owners to loot the Superstars' remaining talent amongst themselves, the Superstars were seized by the Commissar's office, a move that Commissar Smasher Dynamo claimed was in no way related to his long-standing desire to see CthulhuDreams and his Cultists banished from the league, simply saying that, "I'd love to see Cthulhu and his loving spreadsheets beat the Macho Men now."

As a sign of the disarray in the Superstars' front office, Pete Alexander had been scheduled to make today's start but, after a last-minute trade with the Bulldogs, the Superstars found themselves without any healthy pitchers on their active roster, and were forced to turn to Joaquin Benoit for help. Benoit actually did pitch well, allowing only one run over three innings, but the Superstars still fell to the Mathematicians, who held the theoretically powerful Superstars' offense scoreless in the game.

Asked what he thought of the game, Revenant Threshold, whose is easily the third most charming British owner in the Super-League, was unusually candid, "Frankly, though I was happy to see Gerald do well in this game, but I am concerned about his overall production this season. I know that he has come to my team highly recommended, but I have to consider making a change at this point." A confused reporter then asked who exactly this 'Gerald' was, as, according to the official roster, no player by that named was on the Mathematicians' roster. Revenant was similarly confused, "You all know who I'm talking about, don't you? Gerald! He plays...what the devil is the name of that position again...it's the baseball-equivalent of wicket-keeper...plate-keeper? Plateman? Home baseman? I know that some of you have been disparagingly calling young Gerald "Buster", but I certainly believe that he deserves to be a addressed a bit more respectfully. In fact, I think that a great deal of his struggles are due to the damage to his self-confidence that being called "Buster" has done. Tragic, really. Gerald has all the potential in the world, but he will never reach it with you jackals hounding him like that. This press conference is over!"

Box Score

Don May posted:

JACK MCDOWELL WINS, ROCKS OUT

Deal with it.

Box Score

Team Standings

Analysis

You really should use this next week to build a bigger lead over the Landers.

Analysis

This is the second time in three seasons that you've gotten in trouble because you trusted old Ty Cobb and old Eddie Collins to stay healthy all season. If you do survive the Gauntlet this season, you'll have to consider what to do with them so that this doesn't happen again.

Analysis

If you survive, Bert Blyleven deserves all of the credit.

Analysis

Luckier than you deserve.

Analysis

The Mooglies have actually been playing better over the last month, and could conceivably end up with a decently high spot in the Gauntlet. Getting the Cultists to go easy on you in your final series against them in a couple of weeks would help, though.

Analysis

D is for Dead, which the Potatoes surely are
E is for Extirpated, the Potatoes' fate
A is for Aggravation, which what I still feel about the Packers-Seahawks game
D is still for dead

Analysis

Soon.

Analysis

It looks like your biggest problem is those dastardly Eazy W's. They are by far the best team that you and the Bobbleheads will have to face before your season-ending series and while the Bobbleheads only play them three times, you have seven games left against them.

Analysis

Actually, it might be time to stop believin'.

Analysis

Still fighting, at least.

Analysis

Of your final eight series, only two of them are against a team with a winning record. Also, you don't have to play the Cultists again. I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't end up getting a bye out of the Gauntlet, that's on your team.

Analysis

Dead.

Analysis

No news to report.

Analysis

Not really much to say about the Eazy W's either.

Analysis

Well, at least Obama won.

Analysis

[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqqVgXPclsE]Must have been something you said[/url]

Standings and Leaders

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-Auction!

It is time to liquidate the Superstars. As a result, I am putting their remaining assets up for auction. Here's how the bidding will work:

-Any owner with a team, Expansion or Super-League, can bid, and can bid as many times as they like.

-Owners can bid anything they want, players, draft picks, whatever. But, they can't include the same players/draft picks in multiple bids at the same time.

-I will decide how much a bid is worth, and whether it is more than the current bid for a player.

-Enjoy.

Catchers
'11 Jack "Action" Lapp
Current Bid:

First Basemen
Current Bid: '74 Steve Garvey and a 2nd Round Super-Draft Pick(SJE)
Current Bid:

Second Basemen
Current Bid:
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (POR)
Current Bid: '67 Denis Menke (SJE)

Third Basemen
'85 Wade "Wade" Boggs
Current Bid: '84 Rick Sutcliffe, 3rd round dispersal draft pick, '28 George Sisler, '74 Charlie Hough, '77 Rico Carty (SJE)
'11 David "Deep" Freese
Current Bid:

Shortstops
Current Bid:

Left Fielders
Current Bid: '85 Paul Molitor (POR)

Center Fielders
'01 Andruw "Name Not Found" Jones (Ineligible for remainder of Super-League VII)
Current Bid:
Current Bid:

Right Fielders
Current Bid: '84 Joe Carter, '77 Andre Thornton (SJE)

Starting Pitching
'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay
Current Bid: '95 Andy Pettitte (HAR)

Relievers
Current Bid: 2nd Round Super Draft Pick and '81 Jeff Reardon (RYL)
'06 B.J. "The Beej" Ryan
Current Bid: 2 Rating Challenges (POR)
Current Bid: '74 Bill Buckner (SJE)
Current Bid:

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 8, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mornacale posted:

I was unclear in my question about EC teams and ratings challenges: if I bid a ratings challenge and win, does that simply use it for the duration of the EC?

Also, Cthulhu, could you clarify the plans for EC simming? Are we sticking with monthly sims? If so, I assume the next one is just going to finish out June? Is there a planned schedule for sims (aka, should I stress about my lineups or the auction first)?

My plan is to:

A) Jam through some weekly sims until the end of the month to make sure problems are 'bedded down' and I've caught the lineup changes. I'll run the next one tonight.

B) Switch back to monthly sims.

C) Maybe give you two weeks of weekly sims at the end so playoff guys have a chance to rest their starting pitchers for the playoffs.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

The Splinter Cells are going to bid Hasegawa and Oil Can Boyd on Jesse Orosco.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Cancun Tornados bid '56 Gil Hodges for '66 Frank Robinson.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

First Basemen
Current Bid: '74 Steve Garvey (SJE)

Cultists Bid Second Round Super Draft Pick and Bob Johnson

Left Fielders

Cultists Bid First round Super Draft Pick and St Mark Bellhorn

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Add my second round Super Draft pick to the Garvey bid to keep the lead.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Okay, just to keep everything in one place, here are all of my outstanding bids, apologies to Smasher because this is probably driving you loving bonkers

Current Bid: '74 Steve Garvey, 2nd round Superdraft pick

Current Bid: '67 Denis Menke

'85 Wade "Wade" Boggs
Current Bid: '84 Rick Sutcliffe, 3rd round dispersal draft pick, '28 George Sisler, '74 Charlie Hough, '77 Rico Carty

Current Bid: '74 Jimmy Wynn
Current Bid: '84 Joe Carter, '77 Andre Thornton

Current Bid: '74 Al Downing

Current Bid: '74 Bill Buckner

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

2nd Round Super Draft Pick and Reardon on Jesse Orosco

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Brooks Robinson, Nolan Ryan, and a 2nd rd draft pick for Wade Boggs

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
So, hey. The Mudholes are gonna bid 2 ratings challenges on '06 Roy "Doc" Halladay. Does this come anywhere near the value that has already been bid? I have no Goddamned idea, but I thought I would throw it out there. Guessing I can't bid draft picks, as there's really no way we won't be relegated at this point.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Brooks Robinson, Nolan Ryan, and a 2nd rd draft pick for Wade Boggs

Your Nolan Ryan doesn't work.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

'95 Andy Pettite for '98 David Cone

'95 Paul O'Neill and a ratings challenge for '06 Vlad Guerrero

Also please sub Bernie Williams with Paul O'Neill, and Bobby Mercer with Roy White. Keep lineups the same.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

My plan is to:

A) Jam through some weekly sims until the end of the month to make sure problems are 'bedded down' and I've caught the lineup changes. I'll run the next one tonight.

B) Switch back to monthly sims.

C) Maybe give you two weeks of weekly sims at the end so playoff guys have a chance to rest their starting pitchers for the playoffs.

Lineup changes for next sim, in case I don't get to do a full lineup: Powell in for Bonds, Dykstra in for Herman, Grantham at 1B, and Dick McAuliffe at 2B, all against RHP.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mornacale posted:

Lineup changes for next sim, in case I don't get to do a full lineup: Powell in for Bonds, Dykstra in for Herman, Grantham at 1B, and Dick McAuliffe at 2B, all against RHP.

Okay the reason your Boog Powell is sucking is that his BABIP is .133. I've fiddled a bit, but that will normalize.

Edit: I will run the update in about 6 hours for 1 week. I've processed all lineup changes to this point.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

vs RHP
C Bill Freehan
RF Babe Herman
LF Boog Powell
CF Kirby Puckett
1B Kent Hrbek
2B George Grantham
SS Luis Aparicio
3B Brooks Robinson
P

vs LHP
C Bill Freehan
LF Barry Bonds
1B Kent Hrbek
CF Kirby Puckett
RF Babe Herman
3B Brooks Robinson
SS Luis Aparicio
2B Freddy Sanchez
P

Instructions
- If you're willing, after Monday's game I'd like to put Bonds back at LF against RHP and move Hrbek up to the #3 spot.
- Only if you will do the above, then also for Monday's game only sit Hrbek, play Grantham at 1B, and hit 2B Dick McAuliffe between Grantham and Aparicio.

For the record, I'm living in terror of the week/month that my pitchers' BABIP normalizes and everything explodes.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Vice City Goose Eggs

Let's at least finish strong somehow. We ain't gonna make it. There's gonna be 25 dead.. and 400 pall bearers. Nya ha ha ha. Nya ha ha, ha ha ha.

Both line ups have Al Kaline back in RF. move him to third and set everyone else back a spot. Ken Williams replaces Jim Rice in LF, and Robinson Cano gets a chance to prove he does not suck by replacing Nellie Fox at 2B.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

EC Cup: Replacement Refs Edition

Episode 2: Which of your pitchers are most likely to explode!
The two men that have won more Super League titles than every other participant combined both agree that the secret to super league success is a good starting rotation, and as many reserve starting pitchers as you can find. In the spirit of this, today's update is 'In my opinion, which one of your starting pitchers is most likely to explode messily in your post season run' or really just a look at the rotations of the EC.
Assuming I haven't hosed up to badly, I'll sim the rest of the month and kick it over to The Goog for a return to regular games of the week.

Pessimists

Analysis

Okay, while Mike Krukow is worth a gurnesy at this award, the Cthulhu Dreams Award for most likely pitcher to explode goes to Hal Schumacher. He has no power, control or movement, and his BABIP is about that of Walter Johnson. How is this even possible?

Tornados

Analysis

Harry Howell is even worse than his ERA indicates. I suggest using Drysdale. Or firing Howell out of a cannon. As to your actual pitchers, they are pretty legit. One of, if not the best, rotations in the league. My one concern would be a lack of real strikeout power - you need to make sure you don't suffer from the Juggernauts Deiase, where you get into your lineup a bunch of massive bats who cannot defend, then put the ball into play all the time.

2 Bats 1 Ball

Analysis

You know King Cole is terrible, so replace him. Of your actual pitchers John Candelaria's 89 mph fastball doesn't fill me with confidence, but his DICE is only 3.96 so I guess he's okay?

Cleveland Commies

Analysis

I don't understand why Peavy, Gonzalez and Strasburg are doing so badly. They all have ridiculous DICEs, but they are quite good pitchers. Your staff is flyballier than most (25% GO/AO ratio) so pushing your fences back a bit might help.

Cuba Smokers

Analysis

Jose Rijo's OOBA is .213. Mel Harder's is .283. Mel Harder doesn't strike anyone out, Jose Rijo is a great strikeout pitcher. Mel Harder has a 52% GO/AO ratio, Jose is 25%. I think your infielders suck but that rotation still has problems.
Florida dickshots

Analysis

The GO/AO ratio of your staff is 50%. Amazingly all your pitchers are performing at about their DICE. Good infield defence will help your team a lot - which you have. Shop around for cheap deadballers, they are a great fit for your team.

Flushing Flying Dutchmen

Analysis

You have the best rotation in the league - Bob Welch is just getting unlucky. Gaylord perry is a fine backup. You do however need a new 3rd base guy - Jim Davenport isn't even particularly great defensively. Defence and to a lesser extent your park is the only reason you're not leading the league pitching wise.

Whalers

Analysis

Pettitte will come around. Jim Kaat's rating is low because he is ancient and has low endurance. Fortunately you have a great bullpen to help him out.

New England ARguments

Analysis

While I liked Jim Boulton in Knuckleball! and he's clearly an intelligent guy, as a Super League Pitcher is nothing good to be said about Frank Sullivan or Jim Bouton.

New Orleans Mashers

Analysis

King Felix's BABIP is .320. Bob Gibon's is .201. Dean Chance probably deserves a chance to start.

Norfolk Splinter Cells

Analysis

Jimmy loving Key!

Oneida Spooners

Analysis

So I've been talking about BABIP. League average is about .280, I'll work it out for reals later. Splittorff has a BABIP of .520. This is because he is loving awful, and shouldn't be on your team, or near your team, or in any way associated with your team. Also, the Cultists have a frank smith on the team and he is not as good as yours, so I'm not sure how sustainable this is.

On the upside, your team is a full Run Created per game better than the league average. That's some loving mashing. You hit better than all but 2 of teams in the DH league! (ignoring the splinter cells, or that's 3)

Failures

Analysis

Old Clemens will do well until he breaks then he won't. Make sure you have a backup on hand if you want to have 5 good starters for a season. Pete Alexander is probably the best pitcher in super league history.

Providence Barons

Analysis

I hate your pitching, draft some more. I think you are probably most okay for hitters, so that's good.

San Juan Elephants

Analysis

Tiant is to old. Charlie Hough is tough, but knuckleballs are bad. Not sure what the solution is.

Seattle Suicides

Bullet Joe Bush has a terrible BABIP but your rotation is pretty average. Kevin Appier is the most likely to blow up in a title run.

Analysis

Spokane Air Raids

Analysis

CJ Wilson has a terrible BABIP compared to your other pitchers - a full .060 points higher than the next highest. Your park is also one of the most hitter friendly in the league, mostly due to being Dinger Central: Stopping all hitters. Install a humidor or push the fences out, but until you do your flyball pitchers (all of them, by SL standards) are all going to have dire ERAs. Or hell, embrace it and install the most obnoxious dinger machine ever. Your call.

Venice Beach Surf

Analysis

Okay I don't get it. Mark Mulder is awful, but the rest of your pitchers arn't that bad. Your park pretty neutral. Your defence is okay. Your pitchers are mostly groundballers except Randy Johnson. Why they are sucking is not clear to me.

Wausau Woodchooks (sic)

Analysis

Antique Cy Young has a BABIP of .210. Your rotation is pretty solid, fire cliff lee.

Web 2.0 Bloggers

Analysis

One of the claimants for best rotation, but the real reason your pitchers look so good is your defence. You . Your team reminds me of the Dervishes. Red Lucas has a league average BABIP.. so embrace success I guess? I'd still replace him. Your staff is all ground ballers so remember to keep the defence on their toes. Replacing Aparicio with, say, Jeter could have a catastrophic effect on your pitching staff.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 8, 2012

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Your Nolan Ryan doesn't work.

how about Jonny Sain instead?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

DL Mays, start Peavy, I want to see if he can hang. And...

: Summon the mascot! Saint Bellhorn to the hot corner!

Bench Rolfe, St. Mark of Bellhorn is my starting third baseman. Luckier than I deserve, sirrah?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Haha, I have no backup first baseman on my roster.

I'll bid a ratings challenge for Travis Hafner.

Also, recall Max Flack and send down Todd Hazelwood, since I don't think it was done the last time.

Now, I get to shuffle dudes around because Gonzalez needs time off.

Make the lineup as follows:

1. 2B Dustin Pedroia
2. CF Ray Lankford
3. RF Lance Berkman
4. 3B Kevin Youkilis
5. 1B Bernard Gilkey
6. DH David Ortiz
7. LF Jacoby Ellsbury
8. C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
9. SS Ozzie Smith

e: And a question about the Super-Auction: If a player isn't available in the Super League due to injury, can I still use him in the Expansion Cup?

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 8, 2012

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

(if I'm doing this wrong, tell me)

I guess I'll switch Bill Terry with Will Clark, Minnie Minoso with George Watkins, and Mel Ott with Candy Maldonado.

Everyone else will have to tough it out, I guess.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-Auction!

-Enjoy.

Catchers
'11 Jack "Action" Lapp
Current Bid:

First Basemen
Current Bid: '74 Steve Garvey and a 2nd Round Super-Draft Pick(SJE)
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (PHF)

Second Basemen
Current Bid:
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (POR)
Current Bid: '67 Denis Menke (SJE)

Third Basemen
'85 Wade "Wade" Boggs
Current Bid: '84 Rick Sutcliffe, 3rd round dispersal draft pick, '28 George Sisler, '74 Charlie Hough, '77 Rico Carty (SJE)
'11 David "Deep" Freese
Current Bid:

Shortstops
Current Bid:

Left Fielders

Center Fielders
Current Bid:
Current Bid:

Right Fielders
Current Bid: '84 Joe Carter, '77 Andre Thornton (SJE)

Starting Pitching
'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay
Current Bid: '95 Andy Pettitte (HAR)

Relievers
Current Bid: 2nd Round Super Draft Pick and '81 Jeff Reardon (RYL)
'06 B.J. "The Beej" Ryan
Current Bid: 2 Rating Challenges (POR)
Current Bid: '74 Bill Buckner (SJE)
Current Bid:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Smasher League Week 23 Injury Report

We have a new Television Champion

Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Lou Gehrig (1B) (Surprisingly Fragile) - 22 days

Luna Landers
Joe Nathan (RP) (The cost of greatness) - 17 days

Rated R Superstars
Vladimir Guerrero (OF) (Spite) - Out for Season

South Bolton Eazy W's
Ed Delahanty (UT) (Time for the Saint) - Out for Season

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Splinter Cells bid Hasegawa and Boyd and Jimmy Fuckin' Key and tell Cthulhu to quit loving with my anxiety levels and quit outbidding everyone simply because you can. You're on the verge of a monopoly and if you keep it up, Smasher is going to just wipe your team. :)

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

cbx posted:

Splinter Cells bid Hasegawa and Boyd and Jimmy Fuckin' Key and tell Cthulhu to quit loving with my anxiety levels and quit outbidding everyone simply because you can. You're on the verge of a monopoly and if you keep it up, Smasher is going to just wipe your team. :)

This is for Orosco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

This is for Orosco?

Yes, sorry. I'm losing my mind lately.