Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Hollis posted:

I keep getting a to much potatoey flavor when I cook my stew is it because I am not blanching my potatoes before adding them I usually just add them raw.

Here is my "recipe"

1 1/2 pound stew meat
Onion and Celery
Roasted Garlic
Cut/peeled baby carrots
Like 6 to 7 cut up peeled Red Potatoes
Salt Pepper
2 Large Roasted Red Bell Pepper, Roast then I puree in a blender with a very small amount of Tomatoe sauce
Salt/Pepper
Oh and just by eye uh Beef Broth
I cook my onions in bacon and leave the bacon in the stew

I keep getting this really strong potatoey flavor and I think it's because I am not blanching off the starch from the potatoes before hand. I really want to get a roasted red pepper flavor but man the potatoes really cut it.

Red potatoes have a very strong potato-ey flavour. You're going to end up tasting them. If you want a milder potato taste, go for something bland like a Russet. I've also found that peeling potatoes tends to end up with less potato-ey taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Polyakov posted:

I'm trying to make hummus to this recipe.

This One

I have been unable to find any Tahini, but as far as i understand its just sesame seed paste. Would i be able to substitute it with sesame seed oil? If i could would i need to make any changes to the recipe because of that and what would be a reasonable substitution ratio for the 100ml suggested in the recipe?

I don't think so. Most sesame oil is toasted and has a very distinctive, strong flavour that is stronger than and very different to tahini. Sesame oil is often used in Asian cooking whereas tahini is a more Middle-Eastern flavour.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I've heard you can get away with subbing in peanut butter if you're desperate.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

RazorBunny posted:

You could make really hot pepper jelly, and then spread it on brie and put it in the oven until it's melty, and then spread that on crackers.

That sounds really good.. time to start searching for recipes. Thanks for that!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

demonR6 posted:

The Datil pepper harvest was good this year! Any suggestions/recipes? I use them in salsa but this is a freaking ton of peppers and not the kind you just throw in there by the handful else you will pay for it, dearly. The yellow peppers are the killers, they eventually turn purple and will eat through plastic.

Those are the big Ziploc bags too..

You can dry them in the oven and then either grind them up as chilli powder, or put them into oil to make chilli oil. Leave the oven door slightly ajar, set it to the lowest temperature and leave the chillies in there for a long time.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

demonR6 posted:

That sounds really good.. time to start searching for recipes. Thanks for that!

Steve Dowdney's basic recipe is really good. I've never tried the balsamic pepper jelly recipe, but it sounds yummy.

I tried to use powdered pectin instead of liquid last time and it didn't set up, even following directions I found for converting. :( It's still pretty tasty, but it's more like a sweet hot relish than a jelly.

But yeah, it's awesome with brie. Cut the wheel in half horizontally so you have two flat discs of cheese. Put one rind side down and smother it in jelly, then stack the other on top of it, also rind side down, and add more jelly. About ten minutes at 450 gets it all nice and bubbly.

You can also add finely chopped nuts, it's really good that way.

I serve it at Thanksgiving for the out of town people who show up a couple hours before dinner is ready, and every year they tear through one of the big Costco-sized wheels of brie in a matter of minutes.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Scientastic posted:

You can dry them in the oven and then either grind them up as chilli powder, or put them into oil to make chilli oil. Leave the oven door slightly ajar, set it to the lowest temperature and leave the chillies in there for a long time.

That is another good one, I like to use chili oil for Szechuan dishes. The store bought oil I get does not seem to pack enough punch. I have had some before at a Mongolian BBQ and it felt like my face was going to melt off. Thanks!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My girlfriend is craving some macaroni and cheese, but is trying to eat low carb. Anyone have any suggestions for something close? About the only thing I have been able to come up with is spaghetti squash in a cheese sauce. I have 0 experince cooking squash, so just checking my other options before going that route.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Orvin posted:

My girlfriend is craving some macaroni and cheese, but is trying to eat low carb. Anyone have any suggestions for something close? About the only thing I have been able to come up with is spaghetti squash in a cheese sauce. I have 0 experince cooking squash, so just checking my other options before going that route.

Spaghetti squash is really easy to cook. Cut in half and peel, remove the seeds and cut into largeish chunks. Roast at 190 for 1h. When it's cooked, it falls apart into spaghetti strands. It's quite nice, but a little bit bland.

Would aubergine parmigiana be a good alternative? Rather than trying to replace the macaroni with something else, you are making a different dish that is much more delicious, but it might not satisfy the craving...

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

demonR6 posted:

The Datil pepper harvest was good this year! Any suggestions/recipes? I use them in salsa but this is a freaking ton of peppers and not the kind you just throw in there by the handful else you will pay for it, dearly. The yellow peppers are the killers, they eventually turn purple and will eat through plastic.

Those are the big Ziploc bags too..

If you dry them, I'd buy some.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Peppers keep really well in the freezer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I've heard you can get away with subbing in peanut butter if you're desperate.
That is a great suggestion. It'll taste different but I suspect still really good.

The aubergine parmigiana suggestion is good too!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Saint Darwin posted:

If you dry them, I'd buy some.

Sure thing, I don't think a USPS padded envelope and shipping is enough to break my bank, I would be happy to just send them out to you. I am going to do some reading up on how to best dry them out and not ruin anything tonight when I get home. Shoot me an email to owwitburns at gmail dot you know the rest and we can go from there.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Sure thing, I don't think a USPS padded envelope and shipping is enough to break my bank, I would be happy to just send them out to you. I am going to do some reading up on how to best dry them out and not ruin anything tonight when I get home. Shoot me an email to owwitburns at gmail dot you know the rest and we can go from there.

If you happen to have a food dehydrator (or are in the mood to run down to your local goodwill and pick one of the dozen they'll have there up for a buck or two) you can chop the peppers in half, toss them in the dehydrator for a few hours and they'll turn out great.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Polyakov posted:

I'm trying to make hummus to this recipe.

This One

I have been unable to find any Tahini, but as far as i understand its just sesame seed paste. Would i be able to substitute it with sesame seed oil? If i could would i need to make any changes to the recipe because of that and what would be a reasonable substitution ratio for the 100ml suggested in the recipe?

definitely do not substitute sesame oil for tahini, but definitely do make your own tahini! toast and grind sesame seeds into a paste, use a couple drops of a neutral oil like canola if necessary to keep it flowin.

edit: you can flavor a hummus with sesame if you want to and it will be tasty, but it will be on the order of a few drops into your finished few cups of hummus. sesame oil is strong stuff.

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?

Orvin posted:

Try this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-stella/cauliflower-mac-and-cheese-casserole-recipe/index.html

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
What's the correct amount of ice to use to make a blended cocktail? And how do you get it to turn into slush instead of ice bits floating on top of liquor? I bought some xantham gum but I'm curious how it's actually supposed to be done.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

This looks like it would be perfect. Thanks.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
I am going to be making dinner for someone on Friday and wanted to know some suggestions. Currently I am thinking Chicken fettucine alfredo with garlic bread and an undetermined vegetable dish but that seems uninspired.

Anyway, here is a description of their "tastes":

quote:

Spicy no.  I get 1 or 2 stars max at Thai restaurants. 

I love seafood, but not crawling creatures except for crab ... although I have never had to crack it out myself.

I normally don't even salt my eggs.  When cooking for others I have to remember to add salt because most people expect that taste, I just can never really tell unless it is SO overly salty.

I like starchy foods.  I have to avoid pasta, potatoes, etc for the most part as I like them waaaay too much

I'm not fond of eating meat off the bone.  I can do it, but I prefer not to.

I love chicken and turkey and any other small game birds.

I hate pork ... but not really.  I just think in my head I do, so I never want to eat it and will never order it on a menu, but I always end up liking it when someone else cooks it.  But I still would probably prefer poultry.

I like ground beef ... that's about it on beef products.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What a picky eater.

Make unsalted boneless chicken breasts topped with ground beef (also unsalted) and stuffed inside a cornish game hen (of course, unsalted).

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
All that, but they go to Thai restaurants? :confused:

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Sooooo... Kraft Easy Mac it is?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Your idea sounds fine to me. When someone's that picky you don't have a lot of options to be creative or interesting. Nothing wrong with good chicken in pasta.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cuddlebottom posted:

What's the correct amount of ice to use to make a blended cocktail? And how do you get it to turn into slush instead of ice bits floating on top of liquor? I bought some xantham gum but I'm curious how it's actually supposed to be done.

It really depends on the cocktail in question. Classic Tiki drinksmanship, which is where the whole idea of blenders and cocktails originated, would specify the amount of ice and the length of the blend per cocktail. The most you usually see is for something like a classic Pińa Colada, which is 2 oz. white rum, 4 oz. pineapple juice, 1 oz. coconut creme, and 8 oz. ice, blended for 20-30 seconds. In general if you want to avoid making something watery and bad it's a decent rule to not exceed the total volume of non-ice ingredients with ice, and to blend for 10-20 seconds max. Other than that, experiment.

Hat Butt
Jun 18, 2012
Hi there all you more cook-savy then i could ever be goons!

made a batch of bacon this morning and would love an easy recipe for something to do with the bacon grease (cuz I hear its useful and you should never throw it out):eng101:

thanks!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hat Butt posted:

Hi there all you more cook-savy then i could ever be goons!

made a batch of bacon this morning and would love an easy recipe for something to do with the bacon grease (cuz I hear its useful and you should never throw it out):eng101:

thanks!

Just save it and cook your eggs in it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Just save it and cook your eggs in it.

and your pancakes, cornbread, potatoes, pretty much anything sauteed or oven roasted.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I have a "problem."

I have 50lbs of frozen pork belly. I can't make that much bacon/pancetta. What are some preparations I can do to the rest?

Is it ok to refreeze it?

I plan on curing at least 20-30 lbs of it and giving away some of the bacon.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

LTBS posted:

I have a "problem."

I have 50lbs of frozen pork belly. I can't make that much bacon/pancetta. What are some preparations I can do to the rest?

Is it ok to refreeze it?

I plan on curing at least 20-30 lbs of it and giving away some of the bacon.

porchetta, lechon kawali, siu yuk, japanese cha su for ramen/ricebowl, samgyeopsal, hong shao rou

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

porchetta, lechon kawali, siu yuk, japanese cha su for ramen/ricebowl, samgyeopsal, hong shao rou

Porchetta, a million times porchetta. I'm a huge fan of crown roast but after that I think a porchetta is just the best goddamn roast ever.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/09/porchetta

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I decided to attempt gravy last night. This is going to sound weird, but I've never made anything with a gravy that was more complicated than "flour in the drippings."

I failed. I failed so loving hard. I made a roux and put in salt and paper, and I tried to mix in as much half and half as I could spare as recipes call for both milk and cream, so I thought it would be a shortcut. I didn't have nearly enough considering what the recipes said (4 cups total for a roux of 1/2 cup butter and 3/4ths cup flour) and it was like eating grit mixed in salty oatmeal. It hardened as soon as the heat was off it and that pan is going to be a mother fucker to scrape.

I don't even know.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Saint Darwin posted:

I decided to attempt gravy last night. This is going to sound weird, but I've never made anything with a gravy that was more complicated than "flour in the drippings."

I failed. I failed so loving hard. I made a roux and put in salt and paper, and I tried to mix in as much half and half as I could spare as recipes call for both milk and cream, so I thought it would be a shortcut. I didn't have nearly enough considering what the recipes said (4 cups total for a roux of 1/2 cup butter and 3/4ths cup flour) and it was like eating grit mixed in salty oatmeal. It hardened as soon as the heat was off it and that pan is going to be a mother fucker to scrape.

I don't even know.

Sounds like, in addition to having too much roux, you didn't cook it through enough.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Saint Darwin posted:

I decided to attempt gravy last night.

Is the American definition of gravy different to the UK definition? I don't understand why you would either make a roux or use cream/milk. Were you trying to make a béchamel?

Edit: Over here, gravy is meat juices, a bit of wine and stock. Whether or not you add flour is the source of a great North/South divide in England.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 7, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Saint Darwin posted:

I made a roux and put in salt and paper

Paper? Mistake number one. :P

Seriously, though, no animal fats or anything? I can't imagine a gravy that's just flour and milk.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Crap, the recipe I was sort of going from also said to add sausage, which would probably have added fat, which might have made this a non disaster.

edit: VVV That makes total sense. I actually have the sausage, I just absolutely forgot to add it until it was a solid mess of failure. I think I can give it another shot tonight.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 7, 2012

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Sounds like a white gravy without the meat fat. It sounds like you had a lot more flour than you needed. If you had added that sausage it would definitely have had a lot more fat in there to balance out your flour.

As it was you basically thickened your white sauce to hell.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Will marinating chicken as it dethaws affect the taste, texture or dethaw time?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Saint Darwin posted:

Crap, the recipe I was sort of going from also said to add sausage, which would probably have added fat, which might have made this a non disaster.

edit: VVV That makes total sense. I actually have the sausage, I just absolutely forgot to add it until it was a solid mess of failure. I think I can give it another shot tonight.

Fry up your sausage in a pan. When it's done, add some flour directly to the pan and stir until browned a bit, then add milk. Stir until everything thickens, and add lots of black pepper. Don't worry about measuring.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Bluedeanie posted:

Will marinating chicken as it dethaws affect the taste, texture or dethaw time?

Are you asking about marinating chicken while it defrosts or while you freeze it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Very Strange Things posted:

Porchetta, a million times porchetta. I'm a huge fan of crown roast but after that I think a porchetta is just the best goddamn roast ever.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/09/porchetta

Awesome! I've heard about porchetta before and pork loins and cheap as hell around here right now. Thanks!

I'll try the other ones that Grav posted and take fancy pictures so I can be like him.