Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiesty Francis
Apr 7, 2005

At least if I'd studied literature I might be able to spell `feisty'

Thermopyle posted:

This would be really easy with AutoIT. In fact, depending on the company systems, you can possibly use AutoIT to automate the whole process.

Hmm, I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sometimes when I put windows to sleep, it goes to sleep then immediately wakes back up.

Then I try putting it to sleep...and it immediately wakes back up again.

I tried disconnecting my external hdd thinking that was the cause, but that didn't change anything. What could be the issue?
Go through all your BIOS options and disable all sorts of Wake On XXX options. Second, go through your devices such as NIC, mouse and keyboard in Windows, and disable their ability to wake the computer.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
After reformatting my primary drive, I've been revisiting all my old staple programs and considering alternatives for many of them.

After skimming the thread I was surprised to see very little mentioned about preferred interent browsers. I've been using Firefox just out of habit. Never really dabbled with Chrone, Opera, Safari, etc. Been trying out IE 9 and while I like some features quite a bit the lack of a plugin similar to Adblock Pro is a pretty big concern.

Is there a site that has side-by-side feature comparisons?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Antignition posted:

After reformatting my primary drive, I've been revisiting all my old staple programs and considering alternatives for many of them.

After skimming the thread I was surprised to see very little mentioned about preferred interent browsers. I've been using Firefox just out of habit. Never really dabbled with Chrone, Opera, Safari, etc. Been trying out IE 9 and while I like some features quite a bit the lack of a plugin similar to Adblock Pro is a pretty big concern.

Is there a site that has side-by-side feature comparisons?

Adblock is the only feature that is non-negotiable for me. Firefox is the only one worth having because of this.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Browsers are a bit of a religion. You mentioned the big ones, and there are many more less known ones. Try this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

Take note of the rendering engines - browsers with the same engine will in some aspects feel like the same in terms of loading speed, page rendering and such.

IE is by far the worst of the big ones, due to lack of customization and plugins. I've used FF for many years (overall happily), have given Chrome many fair shots (currently use it exclusively for YouTube since Flash in FF is poo poo at the moment), and but I stick to FF for everything else.

madmaan posted:

Adblock is the only feature that is non-negotiable for me. Firefox is the only one worth having because of this.
There's a perfectly fine working version of Adblock Plus for Chrome. :confused:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There's also a regular Adblock (not Plus) for Chrome that seems to work better for me.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Does AdBlock for Chrome (any version) prevent blocked content from loading now, or does it still just prevent it from being displayed?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So if I needed a bootable CD image to help correct an issue on a Windows XP install, where would be the safest place to find such a thing?

(Note that upgrading the machine to Win7+ is an option I'd prefer to avoid; among other things it's serving as a software testbed for XP compatibility until Microsoft officially discontinues XP support in 2014.)

Alyssa Milano
Dec 20, 2004

I've dated the sweet mama's boy, the musician rocker, the struggling artist - basically a lot of people without jobs.

Toast Museum posted:

Does AdBlock for Chrome (any version) prevent blocked content from loading now, or does it still just prevent it from being displayed?
That would be a yes as of Version 2.0.

NEW IN VERSION 2.5: Blocks ads in ALL videos and in ALL Flash games across the web!
- New in version 2.4: More than twice as fast, while using less memory per tab!
- New in version 2.3: Adds an optional toolbar button to control AdBlock!
- New in version 2.1: Translated into dozens of languages!
- New in version 2.0: Ads are blocked from downloading, instead of just being removed after the fact!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

Alyssa Milano fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 8, 2012

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Chrome's noscript is a piece of poo poo and that's pretty much the only reason I'm still using firefox.

e: I try Chrome about once a month because I would rather use it over slow and crashy firefox but adblock doesn't work as smoothly and noscript barely functions and I can't browse without those extensions.

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 8, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
One thing that stops me going to Chrome from Firefox is there is no about:config so you can't disable the disk cache and have it cache everything in RAM instead.

Is Opera a poo poo browser? Nobody ever mentions that fucker for Windows. Always Chrome or Firefox

Hot Yellow KoolAid
Aug 17, 2012
I just saw a really lovely infomercial on something called "PC MATIC", and I went and investigated. Turns out, it's rated 4.75 out of 5 stars on CNET.

http://download.cnet.com/PC-Matic/3000-2094_4-11660875.html

Has anybody used this before?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

madmaan posted:

Why does (Chrome's) Adblock Plus fall short for you? I am honestly curious.

Galler posted:

e: I try Chrome about once a month because [stuff] and noscript barely functions and I can't browse without those extensions.
"Can't" is a strong, line-drawing word. What sites-do-you-visit/what-the-hell-requires such an asbestos condom that Adblock"X" et all don't provide?

Again, not to be a dick.. I am genuinely curious to learn more about safety/the-worst-of-the-world.

Are you a frontline malware researcher, or something of the like? I am somewhat familiar with madmaan's profession but yours I am not.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
Funny we should bring no-script up. It's another one of those addons my brother got me into years ago that I never really thought about. Having reformatted I really find myself enjoying surfing the internet WITHOUT having to gently caress around with it. It's a really nice change of pace having websites actually work the first time I visit them.

Does no-script actually complement adblock plus or are a lot of the features redundant? I guess I just realized while it is easy to figure out what no-script accomplishes, I have no idea how ad-block actually prevents the adds from showing up, whether its via blocking javascript or some other magic voodoo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What program do I use if I want to wipe a hard drive a few times to prevent basic file recovery?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What program do I use if I want to wipe a hard drive a few times to prevent basic file recovery?

Windows command line? The format command has defaulted to zeroing out the drive since Vista. Multiple passes are entirely unnecessary.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
A full format under Vista or later does an overwrite of your drive (but not the quick format, and neither option under XP or earlier), or you can boot with something like DBAN. Like Toast Museum says, anything more than a single pass is overkill no matter what, whoever you think may take a look at it.

If you have the option, go for something that supports the ATA Secure Erase command, as it will be faster and could wipe more parts of the disk. This is probably not that big a deal though, so don't spend too long hunting for it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Antignition posted:

Funny we should bring no-script up. It's another one of those addons my brother got me into years ago that I never really thought about. Having reformatted I really find myself enjoying surfing the internet WITHOUT having to gently caress around with it. It's a really nice change of pace having websites actually work the first time I visit them.

Does no-script actually complement adblock plus or are a lot of the features redundant? I guess I just realized while it is easy to figure out what no-script accomplishes, I have no idea how ad-block actually prevents the adds from showing up, whether its via blocking javascript or some other magic voodoo.
They are technically different. As far as I know, Adblock is a giant blacklist of domains, parts of paths (like https://www.domaind.com/adframe.php), HTML element names, etc. If a site has been hacked to fire off a malicious JavaScript that isn't on the blacklist or contains something related to ads, I don't see a reason why Adblock would prevent it from executing. That's where NoScript comes in; for example, if you get redirected to a malicious site, or a banner ad tries to run a malicious script hosted on a spooky domain, NoScript will prevent that from hurting you. It won't help if the legitimate domain has been hacked to serve you the script from their domain though, but I don't know if that typically happens when a "bad ad" is introduced, for example on SA where you would have scripts enabled.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Make a bootable CD with DBAN is what I normally do. Just do one pass.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Format the drive once - a full format, not a quick format. That whole "you must overwrite the drive X times or someone can get your data back" thing is bullshit.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SpaceDrake posted:

So if I needed a bootable CD image to help correct an issue on a Windows XP install, where would be the safest place to find such a thing?

(Note that upgrading the machine to Win7+ is an option I'd prefer to avoid; among other things it's serving as a software testbed for XP compatibility until Microsoft officially discontinues XP support in 2014.)
It has to boot into what exactly? Linux live cd's aren't exactly hard to come by and some come with a bunch of useful tools. An easy way to get one of them and get it to boot from an usb stick is Unetbootin.

If you need a Windows tool to do your fix, you're going to be better off putting the drive into another Windows computer as a secondary drive.

It's really hard to answer your question more accurately than that without knowing what kind of issue you're facing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Antignition posted:

AdBlock Plus is enough for a lot of people, but NoScript is definitely a useful addon for added paranoia, and definitely will stop most things in their tracks that AdBlock Plus has no business dealing with. I use it on my home machine because it helps quieten the internet even further.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Pilsner posted:

Make a bootable CD with DBAN is what I normally do. Just do one pass.

DBAN is the equivalent of a steel wool and ajax shower after you've watched 'Human Centipede'. Run as many passes as will make you feel better, but the images will always be there no matter how hard you scrub...

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Tapedump posted:

"Can't" is a strong, line-drawing word. What sites-do-you-visit/what-the-hell-requires such an asbestos condom that Adblock"X" et all don't provide?

Again, not to be a dick.. I am genuinely curious to learn more about safety/the-worst-of-the-world.

Are you a frontline malware researcher, or something of the like? I am somewhat familiar with madmaan's profession but yours I am not.

I'm not a researcher just an IT nerd that has spent more than enough time cleaning up computers that got infected by going to normal work safe sites (I've checked the browsing history via the content filter and the local machine) that I will take reasonable measures to prevent that from happening to my own computer.

I don't mean can't as in I'm literally unable to browse without it, but rather that I'm not going to switch to a browser without the add on. It is a pain in the rear end a lot of the time and I don't recommend it to anyone unless I know they are computer savvy enough to use it and don't mind dealing with it. I've found that, for whatever reason, Chrome's version is even more annoying to use than noscript on Firefox.

There are just so many flash and java vulnerabilities which take months to get patched and there are a ton of sites out there that do not use java/JavaScript/flash for their actual content but for a bunch of third party bullshit that I would rather just block it all be default and whitelist the handful of sites that I care about. News sites are some of the worst. 5-10+ domains trying to load and maybe one or two of them are actually required to display all of the useful content on the page. The rest just make the page load slower and contain potential vulnerabilities with no actual benifit.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Disconnect.me + click to activate plugin + Adblock covers that. There's just not really a need to turn off ALL Javascript in normal browsing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tapedump posted:

Why does (Chrome's) Adblock Plus fall short for you? I am honestly curious.

Chrome simply didn't block all the same annoying ads that firefox has in the past. I have tried to come back to chrome 3 times and all 3 were short lived.

Mostly it was stream ads.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

Disconnect.me + click to activate plugin + Adblock covers that. There's just not really a need to turn off ALL Javascript in normal browsing.

Disconnect.me seems to just blacklist a couple advertisers which I approve of but doesn't in any way replace noscript.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
I have a hard drive setup like this:
[Mac OS X: Primary Partition][Win7: Primary, Boot]

I want to delete the first Mac OS X partition and resize the Win7 partition to take up the full drive. Is it possible to resize backwards in the Win7 Disk Manager or anything like gParted?

Or should I just format the whole drive and reinstall?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SaucyLoggins posted:

Is it possible to resize backwards in the Win7 Disk Manager or anything like gParted?
I don't think it is. However, AOMEI Partition Manager has become my go-to for things like that.

I used it to do the same thing you described not that long ago. Although it was with an XP partition. Worked nicely, can't say much more than that.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Galler posted:

I will take reasonable measures to prevent that from happening to my own computer ... I would rather just block it all be default and whitelist the handful of sites that I care about.
I see, thank you.

madmaan posted:

Chrome simply didn't block all the same annoying ads that firefox has in the past. I have tried to come back to chrome 3 times and all 3 were short lived.

Mostly it was stream ads.
Thank you. Did Chrome's Adblock (non-Plus) seem any better than its Firefox counterpart (Plus or otherwise)? Did you uncheck the option for "Allow some non-intrusive advertising?"

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

SaucyLoggins posted:

I want to delete the first Mac OS X partition and resize the Win7 partition to take up the full drive. Is it possible to resize backwards in the Win7 Disk Manager or anything like gParted?

Just don't act like my father, please. That took me hours to fix.

Galler posted:

Disconnect.me seems to just blacklist a couple advertisers which I approve of but doesn't in any way replace noscript.

Did you ever consider heavily modifying the HOSTS file (spybot does this for you)?

Grawl fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 9, 2012

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

SaucyLoggins posted:

gParted can do this, but it will do so by copying all of your data from one location on the drive to a different location. It's very slow, and you definitely want a backup if you value your data or your windows install.

Windows disk manager cannot do this.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Illuminado posted:

DBAN is the equivalent of a steel wool and ajax shower after you've watched 'Human Centipede'. Run as many passes as will make you feel better, but the images will always be there no matter how hard you scrub...

Either
a. I've no idea what you are talking about, or
b. Oh, really?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I have no idea what he's talking about but filling the drive with zeros or ones (which is what DBAN does/can do) will permanently erase everything on there.

There's a lot of misinformation out there about how nothing can ever really be erased but that simply isn't the case. Once upon a time when hard drives were first created it was theoretically possible to use an electron microscope to recover some amount of deleted information but it would have been very expensive, slow, and only marginally useful for retrieving the smallest amount of information. Also I don't think there's any evidence that anyone ever actually even tried to do it. As drives got more and more dense that theoretical possibility quickly evaporated. So unless you've got secrets on a 20+ year old hard drive that are juicy enough to get the CIA to come after you a one pass wipe is good enough.

Grawl posted:

Did you ever consider heavily modifying the HOSTS file (spybot does this for you)?
I'm pretty sure I did in the past at some point but I've not done it for a while. I think it would be a good thing to do for any family members that have a habit of clicking on every single link they come across. Especially if the modification is being done by something like Spybot.

kapinga posted:

gParted can do this, but it will do so by copying all of your data from one location on the drive to a different location. It's very slow, and you definitely want a backup if you value your data or your windows install.

Windows disk manager cannot do this.
gParted has saved my rear end so many times.

Galler fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 9, 2012

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Gromit posted:

Either
a. I've no idea what you are talking about, or
b. Oh, really?

DBAN aka Darik's Boot and Nuke
It's a bootable image that you can put on a disc or USB drive and wipe out hard drives. I'm more just making a humour joke and making you guys feel :tinfoil: about your HDD's, one wipe is fine.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Illuminado posted:

DBAN aka Darik's Boot and Nuke
It's a bootable image that you can put on a disc or USB drive and wipe out hard drives. I'm more just making a humour joke and making you guys feel :tinfoil: about your HDD's, one wipe is fine.

DBAN? What a bunch of snakeoil. 35 wipe passes or go home!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Illuminado posted:

Read before posting. You can make DBAN run a single pass. Yes, it does support that insane 36-pass algorithm, but you don't have to use it.

The only anectote I've read about one pass not being enough is this footnote on Wikipedia, but eh.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Looking for a simple solution to do one of either of the following;

- Force a computer into thinking that its two monitors are one big, spanned display
or
- Allow a program (a Flash projector ideally, or a VLC instance) to run on both screens, full screen without decoration.

The machine is an Iconia 6886, and I am very, very limited in what I can do to it, apart from installing software (meaning can't boot it in anything other than Win7, can't install any other OS on it. Purchasing Ultramon isn't an option, either.)

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't think it is. However, AOMEI Partition Manager has become my go-to for things like that.

I used it to do the same thing you described not that long ago. Although it was with an XP partition. Worked nicely, can't say much more than that.

This worked extremely well, thanks! Saved me a lot of time. It reminds me of Partition Magic except way better and free.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there a recommended Twitter client for Windows? I've tried tonnes (MetroTwit, Blu, Destroy Twitter and Osfoora) and they all lack streaming. Tweetdeck is powerful and has streaming but I prefer a small column for Twitter rather than a full screen afair. On my Mac I use Tweetbot and if there's a similar Windows program I'm missing please point me in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Is there a recommended Twitter client for Windows? I've tried tonnes (MetroTwit, Blu, Destroy Twitter and Osfoora) and they all lack streaming. Tweetdeck is powerful and has streaming but I prefer a small column for Twitter rather than a full screen afair. On my Mac I use Tweetbot and if there's a similar Windows program I'm missing please point me in the right direction.

Not sure if you don't like it for some other reason, but MetroTwit definitely does streaming.