Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Gearhead posted:

Abec draws the illustrations for the novels. The art director for the animated series has, so far, been quite faithful to the original art done for the novels.

Leafa looks like she shows more cleavage in the anime than in the novel illustrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Largepotato posted:

Leafa looks like she shows more cleavage in the anime than in the novel illustrations.

It's about the same, the difference is focus. Abec rarely puts Suguha or Leafa/Lyfa in the center of an illustration when she's with other people.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
'Overfly' is really starting to grow on me, as an ending theme.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Oh holy poo poo, I agree completely. I think it's one of my favorites in a while. It makes finishing an episode so much better.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
I was just thinking about this, but episode 8 has to be my favorite episode so far.
Mainly cause of the interactions between Kirito and Asuna during it, and how the in game menu system gets shown off a lot.

Anyways my question is do you guys have a favorite episode so far, and why is it your favorite?

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Either 2 (i'm a sucker for bossfights) or 11 (Heathcliff finally owning up Kirito and forcing him in a serious guild)

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Harettazetta posted:

'Overfly' is really starting to grow on me, as an ending theme.

Likewise. There is something very cool about the end of episode 18, as those guys in red rise and the music is playing.

I hope Kirito gets a new sword soon. His current sword is ugly. Kirito's race is good at illusion magic, but according to Suguha it isn't very good at combat. In most games illusion would be stuff like mirror images or invisibility, I don't see how that can NOT be good at combat, so I am wondering what it entails. Or maybe she just meant it wasn't direct damage. I imagine clones and invis would look aesthetically pleasing with kirito's style, so I hope that is it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Myurton posted:

I was just thinking about this, but episode 8 has to be my favorite episode so far.
Mainly cause of the interactions between Kirito and Asuna during it, and how the in game menu system gets shown off a lot.

Anyways my question is do you guys have a favorite episode so far, and why is it your favorite?

I liked Murder in the Area because it pretty much forced me into reading the light novels because I really wanted to see where it went.

I really like 14 though, sure A1 did some downright bizarre things animating it but the title said "End of the World" and we got that, godamnit.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Legacyspy posted:

Likewise. There is something very cool about the end of episode 18, as those guys in red rise and the music is playing.

I hope Kirito gets a new sword soon. His current sword is ugly. Kirito's race is good at illusion magic, but according to Suguha it isn't very good at combat. In most games illusion would be stuff like mirror images or invisibility, I don't see how that can NOT be good at combat, so I am wondering what it entails. Or maybe she just meant it wasn't direct damage. I imagine clones and invis would look aesthetically pleasing with kirito's style, so I hope that is it.

In games where there is levels you always get the problem of item mudflation outstripping spells. Usually the first ones nullfied by the person sheer mass of HP and damage output are the illusion schools because everyone somehow finds a way to have see invisibility on 24/7. If you waste a spell on an illusion it's not that big of a deal since you regen mana or health so quickly that the fight drags on forever.

In EQ some classes were outright nullified out of usability in PVP like Rogues. People realized they could just out distance people so fights usually ended up as jousting where people would get slow delayed high damage weapons charge, auto attack for shitloads and run past them turn around and repeat the process. A class like Rogues needs to have the players back exposed and even then the damage was not as good as the Warrior/Hybrid classes pure weapon attack. Add on that problem is that you never got to use your Sneak/Hide ability to open with a strong attack as everyone had items that granted see invisbility.

Tug Grundo
Mar 16, 2010
I feel as though this show is quickly taking a nosedive. All of the tension has disappeared with the removal of the death consequence. And the the characters don't seem to be making very intelligent decisions.
Kirito, for example is still wearing a microwave bomb on his head even though he has had the opportunity to remove it. I'm predicting that it is going to be the one that protects him from Mr Bad Guy's trump card of making everyone playing the game crazy.

Mr Bad guy is being very bad at being a bad guy. Why is he not tracking Kirito's IP? Why does he not even entertain the notion of a guy named Kirito is playing the game to foil his plans? I'm sure that photo of Asuna would have been posted all over major gaming websites as "What lies atop the World Tree", so he should assume that someone would notice a resemblance to the girl he is trying to marry? Why does he keep a keypad on the inside of his prison cell?

Kirigaya, why are you trying to bone your brother? Why are you not suspicious that the guy you are partying with is a cheating hacker, with his pile of gold and super stats if he is completely clueless of the game's lore and inability to fly? Why do you not know Kirito was the name of your brother's SAO character.

This show is really trying my ability to suspend disbelief

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

YouTuber posted:

In games where there is levels you always get the problem of item mudflation outstripping spells. Usually the first ones nullfied by the person sheer mass of HP and damage output are the illusion schools because everyone somehow finds a way to have see invisibility on 24/7. If you waste a spell on an illusion it's not that big of a deal since you regen mana or health so quickly that the fight drags on forever.

In EQ some classes were outright nullified out of usability in PVP like Rogues. People realized they could just out distance people so fights usually ended up as jousting where people would get slow delayed high damage weapons charge, auto attack for shitloads and run past them turn around and repeat the process. A class like Rogues needs to have the players back exposed and even then the damage was not as good as the Warrior/Hybrid classes pure weapon attack. Add on that problem is that you never got to use your Sneak/Hide ability to open with a strong attack as everyone had items that granted see invisbility.
Everything you posted is just terrible game design. It's perfectly normal for people to design games that don't arbitrarily gently caress certain players.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tug Grundo posted:

Why does he keep a keypad on the inside of his prison cell?

This is the dumbest thing (apart from all the other dumb things.) The only reason it's a keypad is because making it require a special item would be too hard to write a jail-break for. (Not going to spoiler this because based on everything we've seen so far, I can't imagine that not happening.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Legacyspy posted:

The barkeep earlier said the game really relies on individual skill (reflexes, tactics, etc) so my guess is the weaknesses in illusion magic are from the players playing just being too terrible to use it right.

I play a lot of strategy games where things like Art of War and Achtung Panzer! are actually applicible; and then I see players make quite literally the worst possible decisions I could see players make that they just shouldn't be making, despite playing the game for at least six months.

A lot of people get good at games through theory crafting and number crunching, but that does you no good if your reaction time or person skills are so lacking that you can't apply them. (See EVE nullsec pvp)

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Why did you spoiler this?

I kind of agree about the issue with tension. In fact, this episode reminded me: They have 1 week before she has to marry Mr. Creepy. It makes sense for the show to use limited time as a framing device. The previous one gave them (essentially) unlimited time, but the risk of death. With that risk gone, the only real thing that matters is getting there before the wedding. Of course, I had to be reminded it's a time issue because otherwise I wouldn't have cared. Tension in the first arc was palpable, now it's just..waiting for something to happen.

I also wish they had changed the entire issue surrounding his sister. Instead, it could have been sister and brother going on an adventure, with her coming to terms with liking Recon while Kirito gets to chase after his girl. Two relationships, two people from the same family talking to each other about it and bonding while Kirito plays big brother and tries to guide her while learning about his own relationship with Asuna.

I also thought Recon was a girl. I don't know why.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Tug Grundo posted:

I feel as though this show is quickly taking a nosedive. All of the tension has disappeared with the removal of the death consequence. And the the characters don't seem to be making very intelligent decisions.
Kirito, for example is still wearing a microwave bomb on his head even though he has had the opportunity to remove it. I'm predicting that it is going to be the one that protects him from Mr Bad Guy's trump card of making everyone playing the game crazy.

Mr Bad guy is being very bad at being a bad guy. Why is he not tracking Kirito's IP? Why does he not even entertain the notion of a guy named Kirito is playing the game to foil his plans? I'm sure that photo of Asuna would have been posted all over major gaming websites as "What lies atop the World Tree", so he should assume that someone would notice a resemblance to the girl he is trying to marry? Why does he keep a keypad on the inside of his prison cell?

Kirigaya, why are you trying to bone your brother? Why are you not suspicious that the guy you are partying with is a cheating hacker, with his pile of gold and super stats if he is completely clueless of the game's lore and inability to fly? Why do you not know Kirito was the name of your brother's SAO character.

This show is really trying my ability to suspend disbelief

It sounds like all of this is explained decently in the novels, which seems to be a running issue with this show.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

KoB posted:

It sounds like all of this is explained decently in the novels, which seems to be a running issue with this show.

Cutting internal monologues saves time but hurts the message.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

User0015 posted:

I also wish they had changed the entire issue surrounding his sister. Instead, it could have been sister and brother going on an adventure, with her coming to terms with liking Recon while Kirito gets to chase after his girl. Two relationships, two people from the same family talking to each other about it and bonding while Kirito plays big brother and tries to guide her while learning about his own relationship with Asuna.

Agreed. Why are normal sibling relationships so rare in anime?

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

KoB posted:

Uh no, it has all been pretty much 1:1 at this point. Its exactly as stupid as it seems. Unlike in aincrad where it was cut and rushed so we could get to this.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
At least this is somewhat enjoyable instead of the 10 episode slog that made up Accel Wolds second, very lackluster, half

Silver2195 posted:

Because Japan thinks Oreimo is the yard stick for that?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 9, 2012

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

They're there, but when they're normal there's no reason to call them out.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

They're there, but when they're normal there's no reason to call them out.

Is it just me, or does anime often seem to involve a lot of fads? I recall a while back, there was suddenly a slew of mangas and anime involving very heavily themed alchemy, like Buso Renkin and Fullmetal Alchemist, then suddenly there was Death Note and Bleach with their Death Gods.

These are odd themes that sometimes seem to occur at almost the same time.

What I'm trying to say is that I recall that normal sibling relationships used to be more common before and that it seems almost like a fad phase going on. Or is it more of a shift in story-telling dynamic because it creates way more drama this way and thus a lot of authors like it?

Mmm, sorry, just thinking out loud here, but I'm curious what others think on the matter.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Personally I just assumed that the author wanted to add a character that his Mary Sue knew in real life from before SAO that had a crush on him for drama purposes, then remembered his protagonist had no friends. Thus the already mentioned sister got retconned into a cousin through making him adopted, making her crushing on him only odd rather than outright wrong by what I understand about Japanese social mores.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mordaedil posted:

Is it just me, or does anime often seem to involve a lot of fads? I recall a while back, there was suddenly a slew of mangas and anime involving very heavily themed alchemy, like Buso Renkin and Fullmetal Alchemist, then suddenly there was Death Note and Bleach with their Death Gods.

What I'm trying to say is that I recall that normal sibling relationships used to be more common before and that it seems almost like a fad phase going on. Or is it more of a shift in story-telling dynamic because it creates way more drama this way and thus a lot of authors like it?

Mmm, sorry, just thinking out loud here, but I'm curious what others think on the matter.

I'm pretty sure Bleach started way before Busou Renkin and Fullmetal Alchemist. I believe the creepy fascination for incest just comes from the fact that it is forbidden/risky/edgy and as far as I know, most kids in japan don't have brothers or sisters.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

WitchFetish posted:

I'm pretty sure Bleach started way before Busou Renkin and Fullmetal Alchemist.

Yeah, I just mean that fads with certain things seem to pop up with some weird interval, almost seemingly around the same time, or at least too close to be a coincidence. Like, of all the themes to visit, some shows try their own angles on the same thing, like Death Note and Bleach with Death Gods and Buso Renkin and Fullmetal with Alchemy.

Like they draw from a hat what the major themes of their next work is going to be centered around.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blhue posted:

Personally I just assumed that the author wanted to add a character that his Mary Sue knew in real life from before SAO that had a crush on him for drama purposes, then remembered his protagonist had no friends. Thus the already mentioned sister got retconned into a cousin through making him adopted, making her crushing on him only odd rather than outright wrong by what I understand about Japanese social mores.

I think mainstream Japanese society, like most First World societies, still frowns on wanting to bang someone raised as your sibling since early childhood.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

It is probably comparing apples to oranges, but I don't find it much different than books and movies here in the US. When one subject gets a hold of the audience(superheroes, childrens books to movie, etc) and becomes a fad, others move in as quick as possible to ride the money wave by releasing something similar.

It wouldn't surprise me if manga works the same way.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Tug Grundo posted:

Whatever suspicions she has she explains away. When confronted about when she first meets him about his seeming contradictions, (small novel spoiler)Kirito deflects it by saying he bought ALO when it first came out, but had been playing a different VRMMO for a long time. She accepts this as a plausible explanation for everything (VRMMO skills, still using starter equipment, limited launch-day items (private pixie), etc. From what she's seen of him so far, it would make sense.)

KoB
May 1, 2009

.Clash posted:

Uh no, it has all been pretty much 1:1 at this point. Its exactly as stupid as it seems. Unlike in aincrad where it was cut and rushed so we could get to this.

After pretty much every single episode someone brings up some bit that was absent from the show and served to provide better context.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

KoB posted:

After pretty much every single episode someone brings up some bit that was absent from the show and served to provide better context.

For now, it's mostly the internal monologue that's missing. Explains why Dio risks having a keypad as opposed to just programming it so she can't escape. Not the best explanation but it's there and fits.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Argas posted:

For now, it's mostly the internal monologue that's missing. Explains why Dio risks having a keypad as opposed to just programming it so she can't escape. Not the best explanation but it's there and fits.
What is the explanation?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Elysiume posted:

What is the explanation?
Yeah, I can only remember the explanation being Dio is a moron

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Argas posted:

What is the explanation, by the way? My best guess is that he he doesn't understand Kayaba's code very well, and thus doesn't know how to program it so she can't escape, or even program a functional lock. Which still pretty much makes him a moron for fooling around with a program he doesn't understand in the first place.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 10, 2012

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Silver2195 posted:

What is the explanation, by the way? My best guess is that he he doesn't understand Kayaba's code very well, and thus doesn't know how to program it so she can't escape.

I would think he'd do it so that their were less indications he was blocking a player from logging out or leaving an area. Its easier to explain why there's some code to add a keypad to a door then to explain code that traps someone in a area.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ElBrak posted:

I would think he'd do it so that their were less indications he was blocking a player from logging out or leaving an area. Its easier to explain why there's some code to add a keypad to a door then to explain code that traps someone in a area.

But why use a keypad instead of a lock with a unique key? It's not like there's anyone other than himself he'd want to give access to.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You know, wasn't there about 300 other players stuck in unable-to-log-out state? What about them, are they in ALO as normal players or are they also jailed like Asuna?

I can't imagine them running around as normal players having any kind of positive effect on the game, though. They would probably be talking about the issue to others and generate bad PR.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Since he hijacked their brains to experiment with crazy mind control tech on them, I assume they're being held somewhere else, somewhere less scenic since he's not also playing out creepy captivity fantasies on them.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Elysiume posted:

What is the explanation?

Silver2195 posted:

What is the explanation, by the way? My best guess is that he he doesn't understand Kayaba's code very well, and thus doesn't know how to program it so she can't escape, or even program a functional lock. Which still pretty much makes him a moron for fooling around with a program he doesn't understand in the first place.

It's not quite "this is a fact" but Asuna notes that it's just his taste. He doesn't want to lord GM powers or hardcoded restraints over her. The keypad is clearly something she can access but the situation is that she's powerless to use it to escape.

Dio is basically Dio.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Light Novel Spoiler:

Oberon put the keypad inside the cell because:
Here is the actual text from baka-tsuki (Volume 3, Chapter 3):

Asuna continued to put on a sad face. Through the mirror, she could see that Oberon had reached the door and had turned around to glance at her, to confirm Asuna's situation.

The door had a small metal plate with twelve buttons arranged side by side. Just entering the numbers in the correct order would open the door.

It was a wonder how he could still do this kind of troublesome thing instead of just using his administrator's privileges to directly open the door. Apparently, Oberon has his own sense of aesthetics, he doesn't want to bring system related things here. He just wanted to be a fairy king, with an imprisoned fairy queen to abuse.

It was a stupid performance.

Oberon raised his hand, operating in front of the metal plate. From where he was standing, Asuna could not clearly see the details of his action due to system distance effect, so that when he does press a button, she will not know which. Oberon must have also taken this into account, that a cell with such a lock is safe.

This is true, for a direct view of Oberon.

Oberon used Nerve Gear to connect to the virtual world, but his time in the virtual world is limited. Therefore, there are a lot of things that he does not understand. For example, in the virtual world, mirrors do not comply with optics

This is also one of those items that should be on the list of things an evil overlord should avoid.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Dio's going to probably regret taking this fight off his home turf. VR really doesn't obey the rules he thinks it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
So, episode 19 is out, and it was pretty good. Also, it looks like the first DVD/BD volume is out and it contains something called "Sword Art Offline", which was a pretty amusing 10 minute "news" segment thing. It also has Klein being awesome in it, which is great! They are going to add one of these skits to each DVD/BD release, so I'm looking forward to the next one.

• Locked thread