Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

PaintVagrant posted:

I nearly had an aneurism, he was that lucky.

Then we got drunk and talked about laser pointers for 2 hours at Dennys, interrupted by the occasional snore from the sleeping homeless person in the booth next to us.

So show us what you won your army painting award for already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Manifest posted:

So show us what you won your army painting award for already.

He got a radtacular trophy.

PV buy me all the trolls so I can paint them red.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Don't hate the player, hate the probably loaded chain-attack baby seal dice borrowed from Macero. Alternatively, the game (of Dennys).

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So my friends got me into Warmachine, and I got a spanking couple of warjacks, Sorsha and man-o-war ready to kick rear end for the MOTHERLAND!

I won my first game, but it was more luck than sense - what are some good troop combinations and strategies to try?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Some models that go well with the ones you have already are War Dog, Widowmakers, Winter Guard Infantry (with all the upgrades--you'll see people call this the WGDS, or Winter Guard Death Star), and Iron Fang Pikemen. Good second starting casters would be Vladimir, the Dark Prince and the Butcher. Both are pretty simple and very good.

War Dog and Widowmakers will take you to 25 points exactly.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
pButcher will give you the best insight into how Khador plays. He gives you access to Iron Flesh and exposure to how Khador's buffs work. Also, he's the most :black101: caster in the game. If you feel like you're losing with Butcher, you can just run at people and terrify them.

Sulecrist has most of the good options, but let us not forget the Kayazy Assassins and the Kayazy Eliminators. The Assassins work well as a stand alone unit and are a solid buy regardless of caster. The Eliminators are basically a pair of solos that run around stabbing people. They're an incredibly flexible unit, which is something Khador doesn't always have access to, and they're fun to manoeuvre into odd angles.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Both of those are good and go into a lot of lists (and both will treat you right). The only reason you may want to hold off on Kayazy Assassins for now is that they are not super fun to play against--this is also why you should avoid Kovnik Joe for the first dozen big-boy games unless everyone you play is more experienced than you. I also happen to think they're ugly, and they die in droves to the right kind of list. Eliminators are great and look great and there are only two of them, so they're not infuriating. Other fun ideas: Man O War Drakhun, Winter Guard Rifle Corps, and Great Bears of Gallowswood are all cool and uniquely Khador.

Apart from Kossites and Assault Kommandos--don't buy them until you really understand how competitive play works, if ever, unless you just want to ornament your shelf--you can be effective and have a good time with pretty much anything.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

So I hear there is a new Fish-caster to go with these 40 Fishmens that I have. I hope he makes them FA:Unlimited, and then the true Fish-pocalypse can happen.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

sansuki posted:

So I hear there is a new Fish-caster to go with these 40 Fishmens that I have. I hope he makes them FA:Unlimited, and then the true Fish-pocalypse can happen.

I'm sure his Theme List will. But yeah, I am so looking forward to Rask. Sweet spell list, sweet gun, sweet feat, overall sweetness.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
I just love that he's only CMD 5 because nobody wants to serve under a toadying race traitor.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Calico Noose posted:

I just love that he's only CMD 5 because nobody wants to serve under a toadying race traitor.

I think he should have the abomination rule, too, to represent how afraid his dudes are to stand close to him. Admit it that'd be awesome.

Bog trog life kind of sucks, huh.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks for all the input. I think War Dog's a given (Sorsha's kinda frail, and the mutt basically owns!), and I like the idea of widowmakers to complement my destroyer's bombard, with the man-o-war squad either getting stuck in or herding off the enemy offense (my friends play Menoth and Cryx at the moment) with shield wall.

Panzerkin3D
Dec 13, 2011

The mountains have always been here, and in them, the bears.
Some friends and I are getting into this game, and I am trying figure out which faction to pick up for myself. The local meta that I am aware of seems to be Cryx (x2), Legion (x2), Circle (x1), and Cygnar (x1). I would like to be competitive in most if not all matches (especially against Cryx since that is what I think I will be seeing the most).

Any suggestions for a faction? I was thinking about something more board control / denial focused, but I am open to all playstyles.

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006
So Matt Wilson has posted a picture which makes me glad I play Skorne

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Panzerkin3D posted:

Some friends and I are getting into this game, and I am trying figure out which faction to pick up for myself. The local meta that I am aware of seems to be Cryx (x2), Legion (x2), Circle (x1), and Cygnar (x1). I would like to be competitive in most if not all matches (especially against Cryx since that is what I think I will be seeing the most).

Any suggestions for a faction? I was thinking about something more board control / denial focused, but I am open to all playstyles.
At the risk of bias, Protectorate. Plenty of spell hate, ranged power, and control/board interference.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Protectorate, their aesthetics and theme are hard not to love. Not to mention, you're playing a game of big gently caress off stompy steam bots, and Protectorate has the most stompiest, holiest steam bots going.

Protectorate has a lot of built in denial and our board control is determined by what we bring to the table, so go for it!

Best faction.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Basically, if you want to be able to do 2-4 jacks in every list you should play Menoth. All the other warmachine factions pack less jack support and rely more on infantry to do their schtick. Not to say there aren't other casters in other factions that can do that playstyle, but Menoth has the most and best caster-agnostic options.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Panzerkin3D posted:

Cygnar might be something to look at as well.

Menoth is basically White from Magic, while Cygnar is basically blue.

Cryx generally dislikes having to fight Cygnar because Cygnar kicks out most of their common crutches.

Now, people bitch about Cygnar more than any other faction. Most of that is because a large portion of the faction is a malfunctioning pile of poo poo that you basically shouldn't buy. As long as you stay away from that stuff, the faction is fine. Oh, you better like merc melee infantry too.

It is the price of playing blue.

Panzerkin3D
Dec 13, 2011

The mountains have always been here, and in them, the bears.
Thanks for the advice guys. One more question. My friends and I are going to our local store to pickups books and the first parts of out armies on Saturday. Do you have any Warcaster advice on who I should be trying to build around for Protectorate (or do most of them work?) and Cygnar?

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
The Battlebox caster for Menoth is a good place to begin, Kreoss has a good spell list and a punishing but easy to use feat.

Here's the really important newbie advice, no matter which caster you choose to start with.

DON'T TRY TO RUN THE THEME LIST! IT ISN'T A STARTING POINT!

That was all-capped because its the mistake just about every player who picks up the army book makes, the theme lists in the front aren't intended as "this is a good army to run with this caster" they're mostly meant as a fluffy exercise for experienced players, the bulk majority of them will have you buying multiples of the same unit or solos and making sub-optimal choices about your list which you generally don't want until you've played a while and are comfortable with buying multiples knowing that you'll use them fairly often.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cyclomatic posted:

Now, people bitch about Cygnar more than any other faction. Most of that is because a large portion of the faction is a malfunctioning pile of poo poo that you basically shouldn't buy. As long as you stay away from that stuff, the faction is fine. Oh, you better like merc melee infantry too.

Yes, but how can you not like Boomhowlers? :swoon:

And on the bright side, you can earn your opponent's hatred with some great dick moves (Kraye + Minuteman, ATGM UA + Cyclone, etc).

Anyway, Stryker is pretty much the most generic caster ever, so he's as good a starting point as any (WARNING: this actually requires willingly playing as Stryker :gonk: ). Do not be tempted to play as Caine immediately though. Sure he sounds fun, but he is A) fragile as hell & B) not very 'jack-friendly. He's definitely a caster you want to pick up later rather than sooner. Also, if you want ALL THE WARJACKS eNemo's a fine choice for a second Caster.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 8, 2012

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Panzerkin3D posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. One more question. My friends and I are going to our local store to pickups books and the first parts of out armies on Saturday. Do you have any Warcaster advice on who I should be trying to build around for Protectorate (or do most of them work?) and Cygnar?

All of the Cygnar casters are good. Some of them are a bit more tricky than others, but they are all good.

If you like control / denial, Epic Haley is a ruthless bitch. People will play the 'negative play experience' card when they play against her.

All the Cygnar casters range from really good to good. I'd suggest picking up two warcasters to start if you can swing it, because the experience of playing one warcaster and then switching it out for another will really make you appreciate how awesome the game is.

edit: Don't be afraid to start with Caine if he looks cool to you. Just cast teleport every single turn and you'll be fine. He dictates his board position like few others, use that ability to park his fragile butt where nobody can reach him.

Cyclomatic fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 8, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cyclomatic posted:

edit: Don't be afraid to start with Caine if he looks cool to you. Just cast teleport every single turn and you'll be fine. He dictates his board position like few others, use that ability to park his fragile butt where nobody can reach him.

Yeah, it's the 'jack unfriendliness that really gets me. Your first caster should really be able to bring some stompy two-handed throw hijinks to the table.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Decided to stop being lazy and made a quick rock wall for Janissa.

Edit: removing dead pic links]

It'll be nice to not have to use a piece of paper or some poo poo.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 11, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yes, but how can you not like Boomhowlers? :swoon:

And on the bright side, you can earn your opponent's hatred with some great dick moves (Kraye + Minuteman, ATGM UA + Cyclone, etc).

Anyway, Stryker is pretty much the most generic caster ever, so he's as good a starting point as any (WARNING: this actually requires willingly playing as Stryker :gonk: ). Do not be tempted to play as Caine immediately though. Sure he sounds fun, but he is A) fragile as hell & B) not very 'jack-friendly. He's definitely a caster you want to pick up later rather than sooner. Also, if you want ALL THE WARJACKS eNemo's a fine choice for a second Caster.

If you want ALL THE WARJACKS, Nemo 2 and Kraye are both really good choices.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Menoth expansion should be Grand Scrutator (or p) Severius and Feora,or (e) Protector of the Flame.

They are both amazing casters and eFeroa is Menoths best jack caster.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So, I've been steadily expanding my Menoth Menace (tm) and have been enjoying the hell out of my new friends the Knights Exemplar. The question I seek an answer to is this: in a faction that can play 'jacks as well as Menoth can, am I a bad person for being more interested in their units and solos?

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Trasson posted:

So, I've been steadily expanding my Menoth Menace (tm) and have been enjoying the hell out of my new friends the Knights Exemplar. The question I seek an answer to is this: in a faction that can play 'jacks as well as Menoth can, am I a bad person for being more interested in their units and solos?

No. No you are not.

Might I recommend Rhupert Carvolo to you, as well as the Covenant of Menoth, assuming you don't already have them of course? They're pretty helpful support pieces for most Menite infantry choices in my experience.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I really like pirates.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cryx
Casters: 2/2
Fiona the Black (*6pts)
* Buccaneer (3pts)
* Freebooter (6pts)
* Mangler (8pts)

Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast (*6pts)
* Kraken (19pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)

Black Ogrun Boarding Party (Leader and 4 Grunts) (6pts)
Blackbane's Ghost Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
Press Gangers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Revenant Cannon Crew (3pts)
Revenant Crew (Leader and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
* 2 Revenant Crew Crew Riflemen (2pts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch (2pts)
Sea Dog Crew (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Mr. Walls Sea Dog Crew Quartermaster (2pts)
* 3 Sea Dog Crew Riflemen (3pts)
Sea Dog Deck Gun (2pts)
Bosun Grogspar (2pts)
Captain Rengrave (2pts)
Doc Killingsworth (2pts)
First Mate Hawk (2pts)
Lord Rockbottom (2pts)
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile (2pts)
Satyxis Raider Captain (2pts)

My only regret is the lack of a Galleon. :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Trasson posted:

Good god no, Menoth has some of the best infantry pieces in the game for their price points and no faction can support them quite as well as we can!

Defenders Warded Errants, sure, they're nice. Tell you what works a treat though. Defenders Warded Temple Flameguard, with Piper and Book backing them up. They are incredibly hard to dislodge and pretty fearsome under Eye of Menoth.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm really happy with the suggestions for infantry and such you guys gave me for Khador, but what 'jacks could I conceivably add to my starting force (battlegroup)? I get a feeling Khador isn't that good for fielding 'jacks, but I just love the look and feel of them :/

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Spriggan is the big one, and the Devastator is good in certain uses.

When in doubt though, it's a Spriggan. It's one of the few good warjacks that Khador has that isn't a character.

As far as character warjacks go, it's Behemoth. e: Beast-09 is phenomenal too.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 8, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Tias posted:

I'm really happy with the suggestions for infantry and such you guys gave me for Khador, but what 'jacks could I conceivably add to my starting force (battlegroup)? I get a feeling Khador isn't that good for fielding 'jacks, but I just love the look and feel of them :/

Khador's jacks are great, it's just that you usually only take one at a time. Beast-09, Spriggan, Behemoth, and Conquest are great choices if you're looking for a single jack. With the right caster or game plan, Demolisher, Devastator, Kodiak, Juggernaut, or Spriggan (again) can be a solid number two, though generally not until 35, probably 50 points. If you want jack casters, we have Harkevich and Karchev. Harkevich prefers melee jacks (ignore Broadside unless Conquest is in there) and I don't know poo poo about Karchev.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The first models I bought after the Battlebox were the Spriggin and Behemoth. Probably a 35 point list of entirely jacks is really lovely, but they look cool? I'm planning to swap Sorscha for Karchev because he also is cool as poo poo. He must be good, because when I bought him the owner of the local game store gave me the finger and told me he hates playing against that guy, and I think Unearthly Rage might make up for his lovely focus if you have enough jacks. It's 3 focus, and it gives every jack in your control area boosted hit and damage rolls on melee attacks (I don't know if this applies to just base attacks or if you can buy extra attacks and get those boosted for free too). So with all the jacks I've got, assuming they're all in combat, that's like 7 extra dice for 3 focus.

I also picked up a couple boxes of Men-O-War: one of Shocktroopers and one of Demolition Corps. I can run one at full size and one at half, to get to 50 points, and having done that I realized that I'm running Karchev's tier list entirely by accident. If I add a squad of 3 Greylord wizards or whatever for 4 points, I'll hit tier 4, which makes warjacks 1 point cheaper, and since I have 4 of them, I basically get the Greylords for free with my existing list.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Cyclomatic posted:

All of the Cygnar casters are good. Some of them are a bit more tricky than others, but they are all good.

Darius would like to contest this "All of the Cygnar casters are good" assertion.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Khisanth Magus posted:

Darius would like to contest this "All of the Cygnar casters are good" assertion.

pStryker always came off kind of a lesser caster to me.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

crime fighting hog posted:

As he should. :colbert:

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

His feat is kinda good, but he's just a bit bland. The perfect battlebox caster I think.

Speaking of Cygnar, I picked up a couple of models to mix with my Mercs, and I've played eCaine a couple of times. God he is so much fun, he just has so much board presence that people are scared as poo poo for him.

I'm trying to find a 2nd caster for SR to go with him, and I've been thinking about Nemo2. Does anybody have an idea how jack heavy he can run? Thunderhead and Lancers seem OK with him. If anybody has a sample list I can look at, that'd rock!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Like I said, pStryker is essentially Warmachine's training wheels. He has a little of everything, making him good for learning the game, but apart from Earthquake douchebaggery he doesn't really have any standout strengths.

Willeh posted:

I'm trying to find a 2nd caster for SR to go with him, and I've been thinking about Nemo2. Does anybody have an idea how jack heavy he can run? Thunderhead and Lancers seem OK with him. If anybody has a sample list I can look at, that'd rock!

Keep in mind this list is pure theory with no actual in-game testing yet, and was only thrown together because I wanted to try a Storm gimmick:

General Adept Nemo (*6pts)
* Charger (4pts)
* Firefly (5pts)
* Hammersmith (8pts)
* Stormclad (10pts)
* Thunderhead (12pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team (4pts)
Stormblade Infantry (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
* Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard (3pts)
Stormsmith Stormcaller (1pts)

Really, with his feat eNemo's 'jack allotment is "however many you want".

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So, I did try out the Archangel on Tuesday. It failed to do much of anything, but I primarily blame that on the person I was playing against, a power gamer who pretty much built his list against what he knew he would be playing(oh, hey, there is pretty much nothing I can damage with blast damage, yay).

• Locked thread