Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I just had a mindblowing thought. You know how Calliope may or may not be using her fantroll as a self-insert? What if LE isn't actually Caliborn himself, but rather Caliborn's self insert character loving around with the plot?

All the fancy gear and buff physique LE has could just be Caliborn playing up his ideal qualities... and unlike Calliope's insert's apparently passive methods, LE is actively loving with the story and characters, matching up with their titles' roles.

I like this idea.

Also, I'm visiting my parents and watching [S] Cascade on their big TV is pretty fuckin' sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I just had a mindblowing thought. You know how Calliope may or may not be using her fantroll as a self-insert? What if LE isn't actually Caliborn himself, but rather Caliborn's self insert character loving around with the plot?

All the fancy gear and buff physique LE has could just be Caliborn playing up his ideal qualities... and unlike Calliope's insert's apparently passive methods, LE is actively loving with the story and characters, matching up with their titles' roles.
Ah, like two different kinds of fanfiction: the kind someone writes where their insert is indirectly responsible for all the canon that already happened (kinda reminds me of Vriska's early motivation), and the kind where new stuff happens and the old characters need to crawl to Mary Sue for help.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

ZZT the Fifth posted:

So... Homestuck is actually fanfic of itself?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Technique posted:

This is such an amazing concept, but it's just so sloppily done. :(

You shut your mouth, Jane Dargrlson is the best in the world :mad:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Now I know what album I'll play whenever I have a Gamegrl-riffic video game slumber party.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

So... Homestuck is actually fanfic of itself?

And I thought things were getting amazingly meta months ago at the height of the Doc Scratch stuff.

Edit: VVV Maybe fifteen months ago still counts as months ago? :downs:

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 6, 2012

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Midnight Raider posted:

And I thought things were getting amazingly meta months ago at the height of the Doc Scratch stuff.

By now it's been over a year since Cascade. What do you mean "months ago"? :crossarms:

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Ok. So having ploughed through the whole of Homestuck over the last couple of months, and finding it awesome, I'm going back through it again, because dang is it dense, and it seems like I've missed a lot that I should have picked up on, but can anyone tell me this - Where did the game Sburb (or Sgrub) come from in the first place, and who sent it or made it? I got that Sollux made the Trolls version from something he found somewhere, but aside from it being the gateway in to all thee madness, has it been explained in any greater significance? They're in the game, but how does it relate to the world of 'not in the game'. Would would have happend if the original kids had never played it?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Skaianet and Sollux both created it from source code lining the walls of the frog temple ruins that came from the Incipisphere years in the past but not many. Like many things in Homestuck, SBURB has a part in creating itself.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

quote:

What would have happend if the original kids had never played it?

Well, that would be a non-alpha timeline, so they would die. As for what would happen in the interim, that's something for you to figure out yourself based on what you know about the characters, or find a fanfiction.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

krakagar posted:

Ok. So having ploughed through the whole of Homestuck over the last couple of months, and finding it awesome, I'm going back through it again, because dang is it dense, and it seems like I've missed a lot that I should have picked up on, but can anyone tell me this - Where did the game Sburb (or Sgrub) come from in the first place, and who sent it or made it? I got that Sollux made the Trolls version from something he found somewhere, but aside from it being the gateway in to all thee madness, has it been explained in any greater significance? They're in the game, but how does it relate to the world of 'not in the game'. Would would have happend if the original kids had never played it?

Like CuddlyZombie said, SBURB's existence is paradoxical, like pretty much everything else in the story. We don't know too much about it aside from the fact that it's apparently how reality perpetuates itself by spawning new universes. And in all likelihood, if the kids hadn't played it, nothing would have happened. Like, nothing at all. No meteors, no Jack, nothing, since them playing the game is what caused all that to happen. Again, paradoxes.

Arthur Crackpot fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 6, 2012

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Arthur Crackpot posted:

And in all likelihood, if the kids hadn't played it, nothing would have happened.

Honestly this is a silly concept in Homestuck, a story where free will, fate, predestination, and cause and effect are tied up in a tremendous ball. What would have happened if the game hadn't been played? It's a nonsense question, it's like asking what a skyscraper would be like if it didn't have a fifth floor. You can't have a sky scraper without a fifth floor, you can't have a reality described in Homestuck where the kids don't play the game. Best case scenerio, instead of a skyscraper you have a pile of rubble.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Like CuddlyZombie said, SBURB's existence is paradoxical, like pretty much everything else in the story. We don't know too much about it aside from the fact that it's apparently how reality perpetuates itself by spawning new universes. And in all likelihood, if the kids hadn't played it, nothing would have happened. Like, nothing at all. No meteors, no Jack, nothing, since them playing the game is what caused all that to happen. Again, paradoxes.

...although since a planet's First Guardian arrives on the Frog Temple meteor, there's probably some significant encouragement towards the designated Sburb players actually playing the game. Say, a few billion or so years worth of worldwide influence designed to facilitate Sburb getting played to satisfy the current auto-causal cycle.

The Frog Temple itself though, with all its Sburb-sourcecode glyphs and lotus timecapsule dealie etc... I'm pretty sure it's pre-built when an Inicipisphere is instantiated, till it deconstructs itself when being launched through its portal. I suppose you could treat the Sburb source code as a quine written in Frog and running on the machine that is Paradox Space. (This isn't such a major observation, as we already knew that Sburb replicates itself/universes, but I thought it was kinda neat.)

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Mystic Mongol posted:

Honestly this is a silly concept in Homestuck, a story where free will, fate, predestination, and cause and effect are tied up in a tremendous ball. What would have happened if the game hadn't been played? It's a nonsense question, it's like asking what a skyscraper would be like if it didn't have a fifth floor. You can't have a sky scraper without a fifth floor, you can't have a reality described in Homestuck where the kids don't play the game. Best case scenerio, instead of a skyscraper you have a pile of rubble.

So a circumstance where the kids don't play is at best a Beta timeline. Since the player's very existence is dependent on them eventually playing the game and slimecloning themselves, it would be impossible for there to be a session that never gets played in at least one timeline.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's unclear exactly how much influence the respective discoverers of the frog temple code have had on turning it into a complete program; there are clearly some differences. There's also the matter of how Calliope and Caliborn got their hands on a copy of the program while chained to a wall in the crashed meteor base. Some of Sollux' notes left behind, perhaps?

I also think it's kind of fishy that there were two frog temples on Alternia but only one First Guardian.

If they played the game in a beta timeline, then traveled back to prevent themselves from playing it... then they'd have to travel back before the arrival of the Frog Temple, millions and millions of years in Earth's history, in order to be outside of the game's causality loop. The kids would not exist in the alpha timeline (except for the time traveler created in the beta timeline, who, according to superstition, is now doomed), nor would there be a game for them to not play. The existence of the game and the existence of the kids are logically equivalent; the only way for the kids not to play the game is if neither exists.

In other words, you don't have to imagine what it'd be like if the kids never played Sburb, because you're living it.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I seem to remember pre-Hivebent there was a lot of speculation here and elsewhere on the nature of the game and its origins, generally suspecting it to be malevolent in some way. "Destroy the game and its creator" seemed like a plausible endgame. But then it turns out that, nope, Sburb/Sgrub simply exists a fundamental part of the propagation of reality, and "Where did Sburb come from?" is just an oblique, absurd version of "Why is there something rather than nothing?"

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I seem to remember pre-Hivebent there was a lot of speculation here and elsewhere on the nature of the game and its origins, generally suspecting it to be malevolent in some way. "Destroy the game and its creator" seemed like a plausible endgame. But then it turns out that, nope, Sburb/Sgrub simply exists a fundamental part of the propagation of reality, and "Where did Sburb come from?" is just an oblique, absurd version of "Why is there something rather than nothing?"

To be fair, there's still time for a yet further explanation to be given. Even when something in this story makes itself, it's still given a logical originating point. The kids made themselves, and despite the paradoxical nature of them never existing before, they were still made by machines and slime. Cal sort of created itself, but it was still produced in a logical(?) manner by coming from Dave's imagination, given physical form in his dreams and becoming real that way.

There's still a chance that we'll see the actual origin point of Sburb itself, and possibly who made it. Who made it potentially being someone who in fact was produced by Sburb itself sometime down the line, to fulfill the loop of it and it's originator making themselves.

Of course, the entire reason I say this is because I love the theory someone posted of who that person who created Sburb might be. Who is someone who would A: Like new universes, B: Like new universes to be destroyed, C: Was both created and empowered by Sburb, and D: Likes subjecting people to violent games against their will in a Saw-like manner?

Lord English.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Midnight Raider posted:

Beta Vriska could have won, but since she was in a beta timeline, I'm willing to bet she isn't still alive, given everyone left behind in a beta timeline seems to die automatically at some point.

Not to mention, Alpha Vriska knew of Beta Vriska's fight, although it was left vague as to whether Alpha Vriska got to actually hear it from her directly or just secondhand from one of the seers.

It'd be neat if she was still alive and kicking, though.
I didn't realize it until just reading this, but I'm pretty sure Beta Vriska WON. If she died, she be another ghost, and as independent as Aradias' alternate selves. I think she won, ceased to exist when her timeline did and had her memories merge with her Alpha-timeline ghost, similar to what happened to Rose.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Bell_ posted:

I didn't realize it until just reading this, but I'm pretty sure Beta Vriska WON. If she died, she be another ghost, and as independent as Aradias' alternate selves. I think she won, ceased to exist when her timeline did and had her memories merge with her Alpha-timeline ghost, similar to what happened to Rose.

Vriska said she almost beat Jack when she was talking with John, though.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Wow, Unite GRLBROcrinization is oddly good.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It's odd, but I kind of wish that Sollux had had an opportunity to do more in the story. I mean, I know he's still alive and still does have a chance, but it feels like he kind of got sidelined without really actively doing that much; he wrote SGRUB, lost a duel with Eridan, and burned himself out propelling the meteor to the green sun, but otherwise he's been straddling this kind of weird line between the one-note characters who wound up dead, like Eridan, Equius, and Nepeta, and those who received actual character development.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's odd, but I kind of wish that Sollux had had an opportunity to do more in the story. I mean, I know he's still alive and still does have a chance, but it feels like he kind of got sidelined without really actively doing that much; he wrote SGRUB, lost a duel with Eridan, and burned himself out propelling the meteor to the green sun, but otherwise he's been straddling this kind of weird line between the one-note characters who wound up dead, like Eridan, Equius, and Nepeta, and those who received actual character development.

Straddling lines between opposing dual natures is kind of Sollux's schtick :v:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

There's nothing there anymore. :(

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

WilliamAnderson posted:

Whoa. Just went for it 50 minutes ago; I wonder if the download finished successfully.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

WilliamAnderson posted:

You're not missing anything. It was a terrible gimmick poorly executed that didn't even have the excuse of ironic badness to hide behind.

Not that I'd be any more impressed if someone actually had put forth more than the absolute minimum effort required to poo poo out a 36 track musical tribute to the non-joke of putting the word "bro" inside other words.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Cavatica posted:

Wow, Unite GRLBROcrinization is oddly good.

I don't suppose you have the mp3 of this? I didn't get a chance to listen to it, and am really really curious now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Gabriel Pope posted:

Straddling lines between opposing dual natures is kind of Sollux's schtick :v:

I suppose I set myself up for that one. Still, I really hope he hasn't just been kind of quasi-written out of the story without any real resolution or progression. But it kind of looks like he's just going to kind of be there.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

This does make sense. Homestuck's pretty good about making it to where even if a character is basically destined to be a flat sideliner NPC, it's really not hard to imagine them being more well-rounded and defined in a story where they had been given more focus.

Sollux was probably one of the bigger cases of this, given we've already seen him develop a little bit, and he did have a fairly expressive personality, especially early on. The problem being that most of his big pesterlogs were just after the first iconic four started, and around the start of Hivebent, where it was easy for him to get lost in the deluge of trolls starting to pour forth and overwhelm the story and then be forgotten when the focus moved on. A lot of people thought he actually WOULD play a larger role, and end up being a rival to Dave, of all people, for more reason than just having the sunglasses gimmick.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that he's still "alive", though, other than to straddle the duality gimmick of being a Schroedinger's Troll. But if he's hanging out with Aradia, and Aradia keeps contributing to the plot, maybe he'll get to tag along. Alternately, maybe him being alive is just to prove that Hussie doesn't actually kill off every character just because they're not useful to the plot anymore.

I guess the point is that for most characters in Homestuck, we already know that Hussie can drag good writing and development out of nearly any archetype, and the only reason why he designated some characters to never get this was because if he did, Homestuck would be a few thousand pages longer.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I still have a crazy desire to see Autoresolluxsprite.

It might somehow lead to two Solluxes (Solluxi?), but would anyone be surprised with this?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Color Printer posted:

two Solluxes (Solluxi?)

Vertex, vertices; Sollux, Sollices.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Solluxanders, clearly.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

It's Solluces (and lusus, drat kids don't know troll latin these days). :spergin:

Feferi also felt like a character that could have been used a lot more, mostly for exposition on the furthest ring, at the time she died. But the introduction of the dreambubbles made it irrelevant for a static character mostly meant to give information to be alive or dead, so I can understand why she was shelved.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

WilliamAnderson posted:

Oooooops. (Also reference his other recent posts.)

There were actually a few pretty good tracks in Brostuck - pity his carelessness called down the wrath of THE MAN*.

*intellectual property holders** and Bandcamp***
**What Pumpkin
***Vriska (Vriska)

Uncle Guido
Oct 2, 2008
I too hope that Sollux becomes relevant again. If for no other reason than that he is the only living (more or less) Doom player, and I'd like to see the Doom aspect explored a bit more. Of course, since the whole purpose of the new session is to bestow happy endings all around, Doom may not be a relevant aspect anymore.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Uncle Guido posted:

I too hope that Sollux becomes relevant again. If for no other reason than that he is the only living (more or less) Doom player, and I'd like to see the Doom aspect explored a bit more. Of course, since the whole purpose of the new session is to bestow happy endings all around, Doom may not be a relevant aspect anymore.

Nah, it's all kinds of relevant.

Mage of Doom: The path, at a price.

Sollux’s “half-death”

Seriously, read these posts. They are ridiculously insightful.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Literally Sharks posted:

Nah, it's all kinds of relevant.

Mage of Doom: The path, at a price.

Sollux’s “half-death”

Seriously, read these posts. They are ridiculously insightful.

I absolutely love these kinds of analyses about the character classes. Despite anything I dislike about how Hussie does something there is always this other interesting layer to it that people read. It reminds me that I am actually reading something intelligent.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Class-chat is always the best chat, because the SBURB class system is the only class system that is actually interesting. I'd love to play an actual game with it, someday.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Please help me out, thread. I need a new phone wallpaper, and I'm looking for an image that got posted a few months back in this unreasonably large thread (but not in the fanart thread as far as I can find). The picture in question is the panel where Eridan shoots Kanaya expanded so that he's shooting the silhouettes of all the A2 trolls. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

e: thanks

Soylent Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 8, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Please help me out, thread. I need a new phone wallpaper, and I'm looking for an image that got posted a few months back in this unreasonably large thread (but not in the fanart thread as far as I can find). The picture in question is the panel where Eridan shoots Kanaya expanded so that he's shooting the silhouettes of all the A2 trolls. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I tried to reupload my copy (since the one I posted earlier was lower quality) but imgur was not cooperating, so here you go, straight from the site I got it off of.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

e: thanks

For others, this thread is pretty good for getting higher-res versions of panels generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
What I really want to know is why there's a sprite of Aradia smoking a huge blunt.