Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Griever posted:

I know I'm literally 4 years late here but Dissidia is amazing! I bought it when it came out and never touched it until now (I kinda forgot I had it).
Sure the story is stupid (~WILD ROSES~) but playing as my favourite characters gives me happy feelings in my underpants. Once you get the hang of it the combat is super smooth. I hate fighting games normally too.

Definitely going to pick up Dissidia 012 after I finish it, assuming there's actually a decent amount of new content in there - is there?

You should probably stop playing D1 now and just pick up 012, since it has all of the original content anyway, and you'd have to play through it to unlock everything. I will say that the 012 storyline is like... marginally less stupid than the OG stuff. I mean, the characters have an actual goal instead of just wandering around aimlessly talking about Why They Fight, so that's something.

Griever posted:

Definitely going to pick up Dissidia 012 after I finish it, assuming there's actually a decent amount of new content in there - is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

TurnipFritter posted:

You should probably stop playing D1 now and just pick up 012, since it has all of the original content anyway, and you'd have to play through it to unlock everything. I will say that the 012 storyline is like... marginally less stupid than the OG stuff. I mean, the characters have an actual goal instead of just wandering around aimlessly talking about Why They Fight, so that's something.

To be fair, Bartz looks pretty drat good.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't have to redo sidequests too do I? That would stink.

Also who the gently caress chose the music in this game? FF13 was really good in the music department but this is really bad.

at least it looks even better and runs at 1080p now

The only sidequests you'd have to redo are the ones with the Live Triggers you want to redo, but every sidequest with a Live Trigger that has a differing prize per attempt is easy.

Also, I think the music is some of the best in the series.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Been doing some playthroughs of FF4DS. Ran up to Lugae the first time and realized I had hosed up my augments. Restarted and I'm up to Astos.

Man, I either had some serious nostalgia goggles on or this version seriously poo poo the bed.

I don't mind the more hard-type feel or the encounter rate. The story still feels good and the characters are still some of the best in the series. But gently caress the battle mechanics.

• This is the worst implementation of ATB I've ever seen. The guages don't seem to pause in any consistent way during ability execution which leads to most things other than basic attacks getting delayed more than they should be, often to the point where someone doing a basic attack will refill their meter entirely while the person with a cast time sits their with a completed cast bar during enemy animations.
  • As an example of the above, pretty much every fight with phases that require certain actions are painful because of this. Starting with the Mist Dragon and including Cagnazzo, Lugae, etc. You are almost certain to wipe a couple of times throughout due to stuff getting meaninglessly delayed to the wrong phase.
  • Most of the bosses have some sort of horrific spammable AoE and boss fight difficulty entirely hinges on how early and often they spam it. Do the same boss fight 5 times and get 5 different difficulties.
  • The worst example of the above is Cagnazzo's Tsunami. It's clearly meant to divide the fight into phases and put the serious hurt on your 3 casters. That's cool. I don't know when it got the Instant Death status added, but that's just absurd. I had to seriously man-mode that fight with Cecil because I couldn't keep anyone else alive long enough.
  • Buffs are too drat short. I think this is a side effect of the meter running when it shouldn't, but :iiam:. Most self-buffs are worthless (Bluff/Darkness/Focus). Party based buffs (Protect/Shell) are really hit or miss. I'm starting to miss the whole buff/debuff mini-game of FFXIII.
  • If Cecil had Augments actively equipped (i.e. Counter) when he turns Paladin, he loses them. If you de-equip them, you keep them. Bug or Feature?
  • MP balance is awful. I find myself almost entirely spamming rods/staffs and then healing with cheap spells post-battle so I have enough MP to unload on bosses. The time before you get appropriate rods/staffs is abysmal. Most of this could be fixed by making Osmose a free spell like it is in some other versions.
  • Whyt. While having my own pokemon is cool and the minigames are fun, his absurd mana cost makes sure you never really try him out, at least until Rydia comes back, if then.
  • There is a Wizard Hat. Tellah cannot wear it. I find this objectionable on a multitude of levels.
  • When you go into the Tower of Bab-il, the first treasure chest contains an Emergency Exit (casts Teleport). You can't use it there. In fact, the number of dungeons you can't teleport out of far exceeds the number you can. I don't understand this at all.
  • Many augments, and some other spells and abilities are just kinda ??? when you try to figure out what they do. I mean, yeah, I just wiki'd that up, but why should you have to? There's a description pane right there.

I'm going to finish it out (whether I bother with the extra bosses is a maybe). But, yeah. I think most of the time I'd rather enjoy it if I could skip all the battles so I didn't have to see this annoying junk.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

The only sidequests you'd have to redo are the ones with the Live Triggers you want to redo, but every sidequest with a Live Trigger that has a differing prize per attempt is easy.

Also, I think the music is some of the best in the series.

I think the music is really bad. Oh bossfight? *some numetal rap rock song comes on* TIME TO GET PUMPED UP FOR THIS AWESOME FI- oh it's over. K.

*some girl sings some indistinct song in the background that even after 20 hours you have no idea what she's saying*

But you're basically saying when you redo a level, you can redo every single thing? I suppose that's nice but as long as it doesn't reset my fragments or something I don't really care. What do you get by getting 160 fragments anyways?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think the music is really bad. Oh bossfight? *some numetal rap rock song comes on* TIME TO GET PUMPED UP FOR THIS AWESOME FI- oh it's over. K.

*some girl sings some indistinct song in the background that even after 20 hours you have no idea what she's saying*

But you're basically saying when you redo a level, you can redo every single thing? I suppose that's nice but as long as it doesn't reset my fragments or something I don't really care. What do you get by getting 160 fragments anyways?

An additional ending scene.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Groups of fragments from certain timelines open up certain abilities such as improving the throwing of Mog or the fast-forward ability. It doesn't reset your fragments, just the plot, but you can skip all cutscenes from the onset anyway.

So you can go back and take on Atlas, for example, mano-e-mano.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's true that that particular example was indeed pretty lovely, a few other stand-out as pretty bad, but the same can be said about any of the so called great OSTs. but poo poo like Eclipse, Missing link, Ruined Hometown, Parallel World, the list goes on are all loving awesome IMO I really feel like it was the first soundtrack since 10 that isn't completely boring, 12 probably would have been better if it didn't sound like it was recorded with my first microphone and played out of a Teddy Ruxpin, 13 was just the same rehash of the main theme over and over again which wasn't very good to begin with, although I'm certain my opinion on this is in the minority. As far as beating a boss in 5 seconds, that can happen since the game is so open ended you and definitely over level yourself without knowing, the first time I fought Caius I completely annihilated him. I guess I have bizarre taste in FF games though after all I'm a pretty big fan of both 8 and 12.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love Limit Break just because it's done by the guys who did Devil May Cry 3's theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roEyLnV8vp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYajS9JXW-8

That being said, I agree with Azure Horizon, I love a lot of the music in FFXIII-2, especially some of the vocal stuff like Ruined Hometown, Worlds Collide, and Plains of Eternity. Also, every one of Caius' themes and Gilgamesh's theme are amazing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've never completed any game but ff13, I could never get into the others that much.

It's really odd that I don't care about the grinding in DQ but in FF I have to trivialize the grinding out because it just distracts me from the story.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I love Limit Break just because it's done by the guys who did Devil May Cry 3's theme song.

That being said, I agree with Azure Horizon, I love a lot of the music in FFXIII-2, especially some of the vocal stuff like Ruined Hometown, Worlds Collide, and Plains of Eternity. Also, every one of Caius' themes and Gilgamesh's theme are amazing.

Plains of Eternity is the best guilty pleasure and my favorite dungeon BGM so far.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I finally started FFIX today properly after someone left the discs in my house over a decade ago. Is there anything I should know early on in the game? (Like how in 7 you should buy the gently caress out of grenades)

From what I hear IX is a lot more laid back.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Steal once per battle, bosses,always carry good loot, play Chocobo hot & cold to get good equipment early. That's.basically it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Teim posted:

I finally started FFIX today properly after someone left the discs in my house over a decade ago. Is there anything I should know early on in the game? (Like how in 7 you should buy the gently caress out of grenades)

From what I hear IX is a lot more laid back.

Just enjoy the ride. It doesn't require any tricks or major grinding. Laid back is a good way to describe it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Steal the gently caress out of everything. Repeatedly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vil posted:

Steal the gently caress out of everything. Repeatedly.
This is the only real advice. Your main character is a thief, so at least steal from every boss.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Teim posted:

The only thing you should buy the gently caress out of is weed or some brews and chillax and enjoy the game.

Okay, yeah, yeah, I know what you mean.

1) You'll outlevel enemies if you grind learning every ability as you get it if you're worried about difficulty.

2) All bosses have armor and weapons if you steal from them, and you can keep stealing from all enemies until you empty their inventories (most bosses have 2-4 items on them and you'll know they're out when Steal prompts you, "nothing to steal"). You can get some pretty great free poo poo from them, but don't go crazy over it until the third disc, where their steals start getting unique. You can buy pretty much everything you can steal on discs 1 and 2 if you're worried about not being able to get that veeeerrrrry laaaaast item.

3) There's a very early dungeon in the game that forces random encounters if you run through the mist as it blows over the walkways. This makes a lot of people perceive the rest of the game as having an obscenely high encounter rate. Don't be one of these people.

4) But seriously get some ganja or some beers. Or both

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

50 hours into Final Fantasy XIII and no I don't have the slightest idea why there is suddenly a hovercar grand prix or why my guys are crashing it but drat if it isn't bloody spectacular.

Think this one might genuinely be one of my favourite FF installments, all things considered.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Griever posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf5DTFUHPg0

What else could you possibly need?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

More Gilgamesh.

Thankfully, 012 has that covered, too.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Not content with being the best character in his game of origin, Laguna goes on to be the best character in this game too. Laguna and Tifa being Team Dad and Team Mom respectively is fun, Vaan has more personality in the few minutes of cutscenes he has in this game than he did in the entirety of FFXII, Kain gets to do his whole brooding but misunderstood thing, and Gilgamesh owns. Duodecim impressed me.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If only Laguna and Zack could hang out together... :allears:

Oh and thanks for the FFIX advice, it looks so much nicer on a modern screen.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Well that video sold me on it, ordered! Lately between work and classes all I have time for is my trusty old PSP, this has saved me from having to resort to playing The 3rd Birthday on the bus :v:

Other than the whole terrible story business I find it a little annoying that both Squall and Cloud take big unnecessary pauses in the middle of every sentence. It's like they can't get 6 words out without... having to stop for a breath like some mouth breather. Maybe it's just their way of replicating the "..." dialog that they both had in the original games. At least the gameplay is fun as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Griever posted:

Well that video sold me on it, ordered! Lately between work and classes all I have time for is my trusty old PSP, this has saved me from having to resort to playing The 3rd Birthday on the bus :v:

Other than the whole terrible story business I find it a little annoying that both Squall and Cloud take big unnecessary pauses in the middle of every sentence. It's like they can't get 6 words out without... having to stop for a breath like some mouth breather. Maybe it's just their way of replicating the "..." dialog that they both had in the original games. At least the gameplay is fun as hell.

You should never play 3rd Birthday anywhere ever.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Griever posted:

Cloud and Squall get much better about their mid-sentence pauses in 012, so that's one thing to look forward to I suppose. I absolutely hated that myself; Squall's I didn't notice so much but Cloud did it so often and in such utterly bizarre places, it made him sound like he forgot the back half of every sentence he spoke.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You should never play 3rd Birthday anywhere ever.

I dunno, it's played more or less constantly in Hell.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
By the way, whoever did the voice for the guardian thing at the coliseum in FFXIII-2 is dreamy. I could listen to his voice all day long. :allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Krad posted:

By the way, whoever did the voice for the guardian thing at the coliseum in FFXIII-2 is dreamy. I could listen to his voice all day long. :allears:

Steve Blum, aka Spike Spiegel, Vincent Valentine, and pretty much every other anime/videogame go-to voice god. :allears:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I always thought Final Fantasy games were lacking in scenes where you run around like an idiot around town and yell like a loon, then I got to Bhujerba in XII.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That city and that rear end in a top hat dinosaur outside the first city are the only parts of that game I actually remember

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

My Lovely Horse posted:

50 hours into Final Fantasy XIII and no I don't have the slightest idea why there is suddenly a hovercar grand prix or why my guys are crashing it but drat if it isn't bloody spectacular.

Think this one might genuinely be one of my favourite FF installments, all things considered.

It's pretty good.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Ha, now that you say that there's no denying the DMCness of that track, every time I hear it now I'm gonna think of Dante wailing on an electric guitar while bats fly out.

I wish I somehow had the power to edit this game, so that the "aggressive" versions of all the tracks would just keep playing while you're in a fight, then change back, would've been so much better than only getting to hear them for the 3 seconds between when enemies appear and battle begins. they're all very good, and completely wasted.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

TL posted:

I always thought Final Fantasy games were lacking in scenes where you run around like an idiot around town and yell like a loon, then I got to Bhujerba in XII.

Don't believe Ondore's lies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyfGm6wXgs

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I absolutely loathed FF13 but against all odds I'm actually enjoying FF13-2 a lot. I actually want to see how it ends.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I wish I somehow had the power to edit this game, so that the "aggressive" versions of all the tracks would just keep playing while you're in a fight, then change back, would've been so much better than only getting to hear them for the 3 seconds between when enemies appear and battle begins. they're all very good, and completely wasted.

Man, that would be great. I love areas in RPGs where the area music keeps playing in battle without interruption, and this would be the next step from that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do I get Yomi to show up? I've tried changing the weather a bunch of times but Tipur only ever says "THANKS now I can sleep soundly"

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dalamud has landed in FF14, servers are down until the launch of 2.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

And a brief but informative summary of the Dalamud storyline courtesy of Stu Foo:

Stufoo posted:

That was Louisoix. He is not considered human, as he is an archon, a benevolent incarnation of the twelve, Louisoix is specifically Thaliak, the Scholar. He was the one who knew what Dalamud was, a twelve-constructed prison for the Primal King Bahamut, when the Allagan civilization (now extinct) summoned them to help fight him in I think the 4th or 5th astral era. He was the one who got the entirety of Eorzea to pray to the twelve, summoning their power to try the second imprisonment after he broke out of the first (events in the trailer).

This was unsuccessful due to Nael Van Darnus feeding Bahamut anima through the transmitter and generator that you destroyed in the "United We Stand" battle. He was draining it from the planet's aetheryte network/lifestream and the leftover ceruleam crystals in the mor dhona region after the Midgardsormr/Imperial Ship crash explosion (ties in from all storylines and the grand company story). It was too late to save the day though, and Bahamut was strong enough to break out and resist the next attempt, then megaflare and go about his way.

Louisoix had a backup plan that he never told to anyone. This was hinted at in the story and talked about, a mystery to what he had up his sleeve, even if he was secretly the villain. He knew when all was lost after the twelve failed and transported the self-insert group of heroes into the future. He smiles as he dies because he knows he'll at least save the future. Five years later, the heroes appear, and 2.0 story begins.

The trailer is the culminations of all storylines and events in 1.0, and perfectly syncs up with the music and lyrics of a three year old song. It's amazing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

zerox147o posted:

Dalamud has landed in FF14, servers are down until the launch of 2.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

And a brief but informative summary of the Dalamud storyline courtesy of Stu Foo:

This looks rather neat and a great way to start over and have a goal for the players (You get sent forward in time after the end of the world/giant monster wrecking everyone to try and rebuild). Is Realm Reborn looking like it'll actually be fun to play though? I'm thinking about giving it a go.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
They were making a lot of positive changes as FF14 moved toward 2.0 that was supposed to lead into it, so maybe. At the very least it might behave like a real sequel to FF11 now rather than what it was. I'll probably end up resubbing with a friend if nothing else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Has there been much info on how 2.0 will play? It'd be nice to see the game get fixed but I'm hoping it's going to actually be something worthwhile (like GW2) and not just a generic game like SW:TOR but Final Fantasy.