Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Synonymous posted:

Is this something that can be done, or am I making myself responsible for the whole house doing this (in which case the agent can shove it)

Obviously by signing it you're making yourself responsible for the whole house until your friends have signed as well, so it's more about whether you trust your friends than trusting the landlord.

You friends seriously don't have 30 minutes out of the next three days to go sign a paper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Synonymous posted:

Found myself a pretty nice place, moving in with three friends.

Only trouble is, since they're all in the middle of exams and mine aren't for a couple of weeks, I'm the only one able to go in and handle the deposit/lease signing for everybody. We've been reassured by the agent that all of us will be on the lease, and they'll collect the other signatures later- the landlord is just wanting this done so he can take it off the market or something?

Kind of a massive pain in the rear end, and I'm suspicious. Is this something that can be done, or am I making myself responsible for the whole house doing this (in which case the agent can shove it)

Just a heads up, but if all four of you are signing onto the same lease, then effectively you will be responsible for the whole house even when they sign it. If you have a copy of the lease, the language to look for is 'jointly and severally liable' - this means that if three of the people on the lease run off to Kiribati, the last dude (you) is responsible for everything. Not just whatever you guys have decided is your 'share'. The only way to totally protect yourself is to have a separate lease between each tenant and the landlord for their portion of the rent, or maybe a single lease agreement that breaks down how much each person will be paying and makes it clear that the others will not be responsible if one person falls through (good luck with this).

Basically, don't rent with people that you don't trust not to gently caress your life up.

As a sidenote, I have rented with multiple people a ton of times, and its not unusual that not everyone can make it to a single meeting. I have never had an agent/landlord argue with me just taking the lease, getting everyone to sign it in the next few days, and then getting it back to them scanned or mailed.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I reported a safety issue to apt. management (totally loose 2nd floor rail) this Monday and found out today that the rear end in a top hat manager had apparently been pretending to type it down but hadn't made any sort of record at all, so I reported it again and sent a written complaint by certified mail. I read that according to Texas law, if they don't respond after seven days of receipt, I can send them a scary letter, and if they don't respond to that, apparently I can take them to court. Is that right? Would that be too antagonistic one month into the lease?

The other apartment manager isn't an rear end in a top hat, but he totally forgot I moved in and tried to show potential tenants my apartment while I was inside it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Xibanya posted:

I reported a safety issue to apt. management (totally loose 2nd floor rail) this Monday and found out today that the rear end in a top hat manager had apparently been pretending to type it down but hadn't made any sort of record at all, so I reported it again and sent a written complaint by certified mail. I read that according to Texas law, if they don't respond after seven days of receipt, I can send them a scary letter, and if they don't respond to that, apparently I can take them to court. Is that right? Would that be too antagonistic one month into the lease?

The other apartment manager isn't an rear end in a top hat, but he totally forgot I moved in and tried to show potential tenants my apartment while I was inside it.

Is your apartment manager your employer/friend/family member? If not, why care if you hurt their feelings?

Laws like that exist to keep landlords honest. I had to send a nasty letter when I had a serious maintenance issue they were not quick to respond on (while still in negotiations to renew my lease :v:) You're not being needy or nagging, you're just asking them to follow your state's laws.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
What are your thoughts on emailing your landlord, as opposed to speaking to them in person?

When my boyfriend and I signed our lease, we decided with the landlord that we were to have certain days to do laundry, and they would have the others. (The landlords live above us; we are in the basement.) We planned on doing laundry this morning before work, as it was our day, but saw that the landlords mother was halfway through a load. I emailed the landlord as she is at work, and couldn't speak to her face to face. My friend told me this is a bad idea; do you agree?

Also, when we looked at the place they told us that it was quiet and they were hardly ever home, but after living here for over a month we realize this is not the case. Their parents live with them, and stomp and crash and yell constantly, at all hours. We asked them to keep it down once, and they apologized and did for about a week, but it is back to the usual. This is my first apartment, and I am frustrated as hell.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Email is good because it gives a written record of the conversation.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There is nothing wrong with email, and it is nice to have a record of all your exchanges. Just keep in mind that you are creating a record yourself and keep things polite and professional. And don't include them on your Fwd:Fwd:Fwd: emails.

If I can get away with it email is the ideal way to handle landlord communications because it is at both of your convenience. Next best is phone calls, followed by letters and then in person. I say that because whatever method you use is going to be reciprocal - how do you feel about the landlord emailing you? Ok? Because I have had landlords that felt the best way to contact me was to knock on the door, and that poo poo gets irritating quickly.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Yeah, email is a nice way to have a paper trail if there's a recurring issue.

I posted a couple months back about my shady landlord (putting our unit for sale online before informing us, letting people in to view it with less than 24 hours notice, etc) and I thought I'd post a follow-up on that. I looked up renters rights in California and sent him an email that basically said I knew my rights and would like a preliminary inspection. He called me and said we'd all been good sports, and that he'd like to just do the preliminary inspection. As long as there were no big holes in the wall, he would give us our deposit in full.

We didn't believe that for a second, and prepared ourselves for a lengthy struggle to get our deposit back. After the preliminary inspection, when the rooms were still full of items and things were still dirty, he called me and said he'd give it all back, minus half the pet deposit (my dog absolutely ruined one section of carpet, so that was fair). We still didn't believe him, especially since he was calling me instead of emailing/texting like he had in the past so there wouldn't be a paper trail.

Somehow, despite this dude being an rear end while we lived there, we got the check a week after we moved out, and it cleared. That certainly never happened with the companies I rented from, so I guess even if you have a bad relationship in a private rental, it can all turn out okay! :unsmith:

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
Thanks for the responses, I had a feeling it was an appropriate way to handle the situation. She hasn't emailed me back yet, I doubt she will. Having a paper trail was definitely my biggest reason, as well.

How much noise would you consider to be too much, and interfering with my reasonable enjoyment of the apartment? The landlord and her family upstairs stomp constantly, and when the landlord herself is gone, her parents are home throwing things around and yelling at each other. It is loud enough that their conversations are clearly audible in my living room. There is a 24 hour bylaw in my municipality (Toronto, Ontario) but as of yet I haven't considered any further action, (but we have asked them to keep it down twice, and we moved in Oct 1st.)

I'm mostly frustrated that they told us they were very quiet people and hardly ever home, when so far we've seen exactly the opposite of that. I've tried looking at Ontario tenant rights, but can't find too much information about my particular situation.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Robin Sparkles posted:

Thanks for the responses, I had a feeling it was an appropriate way to handle the situation. She hasn't emailed me back yet, I doubt she will. Having a paper trail was definitely my biggest reason, as well.

How much noise would you consider to be too much, and interfering with my reasonable enjoyment of the apartment? The landlord and her family upstairs stomp constantly, and when the landlord herself is gone, her parents are home throwing things around and yelling at each other. It is loud enough that their conversations are clearly audible in my living room. There is a 24 hour bylaw in my municipality (Toronto, Ontario) but as of yet I haven't considered any further action, (but we have asked them to keep it down twice, and we moved in Oct 1st.)

I'm mostly frustrated that they told us they were very quiet people and hardly ever home, when so far we've seen exactly the opposite of that. I've tried looking at Ontario tenant rights, but can't find too much information about my particular situation.

I am not a lawyer or a Canadian.

I'd think that if the noise is coming from the landlord's unit, it would be reasonable to say it is interfering with reasonable enjoyment of your residence.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I am not a lawyer or a Canadian.

I'd think that if the noise is coming from the landlord's unit, it would be reasonable to say it is interfering with reasonable enjoyment of your residence.

I don't know how to proceed with this. I've lived here a month, this is loving ridiculous, I don't want to be dealing with this poo poo.

I also just went to use the dryer, and the bottom was covered in sand, the lint trap still had lint in it and it too had sand all in the bottom. I went upstairs to knock on their door, they walked in front of it and chose not to answer, so I knocked harder and still didn't get an answer. I took my own vaccuum and cleaned it myself, I needed to use it.

Sorry if this is getting e/n, but I'm frustrated as gently caress and don't know what else to do.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Your city probably has noise ordinances. If they're hollering/squawking at all hours of the night you might have the support of :cop:s. It will give you a leg to stand on as you're asking them to keep it down.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Robin Sparkles posted:

I don't know how to proceed with this. I've lived here a month, this is loving ridiculous, I don't want to be dealing with this poo poo.

I also just went to use the dryer, and the bottom was covered in sand, the lint trap still had lint in it and it too had sand all in the bottom. I went upstairs to knock on their door, they walked in front of it and chose not to answer, so I knocked harder and still didn't get an answer. I took my own vaccuum and cleaned it myself, I needed to use it.

Sorry if this is getting e/n, but I'm frustrated as gently caress and don't know what else to do.

Try the Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations - they have a hotline for advice in Toronto that's funded by the city.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Carbon Thief posted:

Try the Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations - they have a hotline for advice in Toronto that's funded by the city.

Thank you! I will try that tonight!

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

Robin Sparkles posted:

What are your thoughts on emailing your landlord, as opposed to speaking to them in person?
I emailed the landlord as she is at work, and couldn't speak to her face to face. My friend told me this is a bad idea; do you agree?

I'd say 95% of my communication with my landlord has been over email. From initially contacting them to signing the lease I've only met them for a 30 second interview and handing over the first rent check.

It being asynchronous is great because I can include the maintenance guy in our conversations and not need to worry about coordinating when we can communicate about issues.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Fan-loving-tastic.

Got a lovely letter from the gas company regarding the account at my previous address and an unpaid balance that they are threatening to send to collections. This is right after getting a 290 dollar electric bill, in which over 200 of that was for unpaid bills at my previous address.

My housemates and I moved out a couple months ago to a nicer (and cheaper) place down the street. We overlapped with one of the new tenants, a foreign student (sweet but very naive girl). Due to being a foreigner and her visa-issued social security number not yet working, she was unable to establish utility accounts in her own name. So, I told her I'd leave the accounts at their house until her roommates moved in and could establish new accounts.

I got an address forward not long after I moved, and since we are just two blocks up, I figured I'd drop off any utility stuff off at their house on my way to work. Didn't realize that forwarded stuff would be stuck in the postal system for a month+. So, them missing bills is partially my fault. Or I might have told her to change the mailing address to her own name so it wouldn't get forwarded, but I don't remember.

However, we did drop off a bill or two a while back that apparently never got paid because it's been tacked on to the bill at my new address and I got a collections threat. Luckily the electric company was very understanding, only had me pay what I actually owed for the new house, put a note on my account, and reissued the outstanding bills so I could give them to the kids at my old place.

These kids are naive as gently caress, so I'm guessing they just don't understand how to run a household/do utilities and aren't actively trying to stiff me (they're on their parents' dole anyway). Also I know where they live.

Lesson learned: Move your utility accounts asap. Naive tenants return my kindness with naivety and unpaid bills. Should have left her to work out something with landlord or something if she couldn't make her own accounts.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
So my landlords (a really nice old couple) have been "remodeling" the bathroom for right about 1.5 years now. It's functional, but looks like rear end because there's no trim or anything around the window, just a piece of glass and a bunch of ripped up tile. Anyway, the landlord FINALLY decided to send in a professional to finish the bathroom window, and I asked the guy to take a look at one of the windows in my bedroom because it was really drafty.

Anyway, turns out that the big beam under my window was completely rotted out all the way down the wall. So now the entire front of my house has been ripped off and is being replaced with brick. Not just the part under my window, I mean THE WHOLE FRONT of the house from corner to corner. Anyway, just posting that little story for those of you who think renting sucks and you're throwing money away, because almost everyone who comes in my house thinks it looks really nice and tells me I should buy it, including my own parents. Renting is where its at.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

razz posted:

Anyway, turns out that the big beam under my window was completely rotted out all the way down the wall. So now the entire front of my house has been ripped off and is being replaced with brick. Not just the part under my window, I mean THE WHOLE FRONT of the house from corner to corner. Anyway, just posting that little story for those of you who think renting sucks and you're throwing money away, because almost everyone who comes in my house thinks it looks really nice and tells me I should buy it, including my own parents. Renting is where its at.

Yep. Soon after I moved in to my place, a waterfall opened up in the bedroom ceiling. We got a new roof because the whole roof was so far gone it wasn't possible to patch it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
A proper home inspection (something you'd do before buying a house) would have found those issues and presumably you'd not have bought it (or adjusted the sale price accordingly). Plus you can expect a rental property to be far more likely to have had lovely maintenance (and therefore issues like you both experienced).

I could also point out that (unless the landlord is inept or your area has an overabundance of cheap rentals) you're the one paying for this repair work; you just do it in small amounts over the long term as part of your rent. And in the end, you walk away from the place with nothing; a homeowner walks away with the difference between the value of his home and his mortgage (which, granted, has the risk of being negative!).

My point is there are pros and cons to both owning and renting. And it isn't exactly fair to point to some maintenance issue in your rental and claim buying a house is for chumps.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Well, my landlord is a little inept. My rent is about $200/month less than he could be charging, and he also pays water, trash, and does lawn care for some odd reason which sucks up another ~$100/month off his profit. I'd be shocked if he is making ANY money on this house by renting it out. The window stuff alone is going to cost him about what my roommate and I pay him in a year. The only reason he hasn't sold the house is because I'm living there and I'm friends with his daughter, they've told me they are going to sell it when I leave. Right now the house is just a weekend project for an old retired man with too much money and too much spare time.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Hopefully this is the right place. Just bought our second house; and since we're in our 40's we've decided we'd like to furnish in a modernist/minimalist style instead of the hoarder/dumpster electic style that we've been using up till now.

We like the style of Ikea but not the cheapness of it when we look at it up close. We've checked a couple local swedish/modernist furniture stores and the prices are several thousand per piece which is a bit more expensive than we want to go.

What middle ground stores are there? Someone else suggested Room & Board which looks perfect (higher quality, a bit more expensive but not top dollar). But we've literally never shopped for furniture/decor so we have no idea what's even available. Any other suggestions to check out? We're in Wisconsin, within driving distance of Chicago, if that makes a difference.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
How closely have you looked at ikea? They have different grades of stuff within the store, eg billy shelves vs. hemnes, etc. We've gotten rid of the total low grade junk we had from there, but still have several expedit shelves and we picked up a pretty nice kitchen cart there recently.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

alucinor posted:

Hopefully this is the right place. Just bought our second house; and since we're in our 40's we've decided we'd like to furnish in a modernist/minimalist style instead of the hoarder/dumpster electic style that we've been using up till now.

We like the style of Ikea but not the cheapness of it when we look at it up close. We've checked a couple local swedish/modernist furniture stores and the prices are several thousand per piece which is a bit more expensive than we want to go.

What middle ground stores are there? Someone else suggested Room & Board which looks perfect (higher quality, a bit more expensive but not top dollar). But we've literally never shopped for furniture/decor so we have no idea what's even available. Any other suggestions to check out? We're in Wisconsin, within driving distance of Chicago, if that makes a difference.

Unfortunately modernist furniture is having a bit of a revival at the moment, leading to inflated prices. If you like to do a little sleuthing, get a book about modernist furniture, research some designers, and scour eBay, craigslist, and local antique stores and you can often find some high-quality modernist pieces (both authentic to the time period, and more recent copies) for between $200-$500. This is probably going to be the best way to get quality pieces. The demand right now is HUGE and prices are being inflated to match. Learning specific designer and company names, as well as specific trend groups (eg, Danish Modern) are key to crafting some good eBay and craigslist RSS feeds.

Otherwise, Crate and Barrel is another nationwide company that has modernist leanings.

A few more:

West Elm
Inhabit Living
Jonathan Adler

There are also tons of specialty stores (brick-and-mortar as well as online).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Dogen posted:

How closely have you looked at ikea? They have different grades of stuff within the store, eg billy shelves vs. hemnes, etc. We've gotten rid of the total low grade junk we had from there, but still have several expedit shelves and we picked up a pretty nice kitchen cart there recently.

Seconding this. Look at the unfinished furniture section. There are some very pretty pieces there that aren't made out of the standard Ikea pressed board + veneer.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I will third the existence of nice Ikea stuff. Just stop gravitating towards the $30 coffee tables (:swoon:) and grab something nicer.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
vonnegutt, those other stores are just what I needed to know about, and thanks for the craigslist suggestion. I'm already reading everything I can about these styles just so I can figure out what goes with what.

Thanks to everyone for the other suggestions as well. Yes, I love some of the Ikea stuff, we will almost certainly redo the kitchen cabinets in Ikea. But some of the things we want in a very particular style/color and Ikea just doesn't seem to have it except in particleboard. For example, we want our desks to be very minimalist, in a stainless steel or white finish. BESTÅ desks are the look we want but the tops are particleboard. Room & Board does have a couple that I like with steel bases, and a steel top on one and a white, non-wood solid surface top on the other. So we'll have to schlep down there and see if my husband likes them as well.

Dogen posted:

Ha, expedit and hemnes are two styles that we mostly DID like, so at least we know we're on the right track.

Any other guides? "Danish Modern for Dummies" or whatever? I feel like a total idiot where it comes to this stuff. I would totally put pearls with plaid so I never really trust my design judgement unless I'm just replicating something I've seen elsewhere.

I've been thinking about posting a thread about this process. We literally are living with the same furniture we had since college/high school. It's certainly interesting to try to grow into an adult style all of the sudden.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Design Within Reach has a lot of nice modern furniture.

When I buy a house I'm planning on doing a lot of furnishing from there.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

alucinor posted:

vonnegutt, those other stores are just what I needed to know about, and thanks for the craigslist suggestion. I'm already reading everything I can about these styles just so I can figure out what goes with what.

Thanks to everyone for the other suggestions as well. Yes, I love some of the Ikea stuff, we will almost certainly redo the kitchen cabinets in Ikea. But some of the things we want in a very particular style/color and Ikea just doesn't seem to have it except in particleboard. For example, we want our desks to be very minimalist, in a stainless steel or white finish. BESTÅ desks are the look we want but the tops are particleboard. Room & Board does have a couple that I like with steel bases, and a steel top on one and a white, non-wood solid surface top on the other. So we'll have to schlep down there and see if my husband likes them as well.

Ha, expedit and hemnes are two styles that we mostly DID like, so at least we know we're on the right track.

Any other guides? "Danish Modern for Dummies" or whatever? I feel like a total idiot where it comes to this stuff. I would totally put pearls with plaid so I never really trust my design judgement unless I'm just replicating something I've seen elsewhere.

I've been thinking about posting a thread about this process. We literally are living with the same furniture we had since college/high school. It's certainly interesting to try to grow into an adult style all of the sudden.

Luckily, modern furniture has been around for 50+ years now, so your local public library should have some books that detail all the different styles of the Midcentury aesthetic.

Design-wise, they should also have some more general interior design books that really would work with any style of furniture. Interior design is less about matching cool stuff with other cool stuff, and more about making sure the proportions, colors, and arrangement of pieces fits harmoniously. There are a few rules of thumb* they all use, so pick up a couple and see what the common threads are. I put together my whole place this way, as well as my boyfriend's house (with his input of course).

I think the best thing to do would be to start an idea collection: Google around for images that incorporate things you like (ie, "modern stainless steel desk") and save any images you like in a folder.

Buy your desk if you like it. Then, once you have enough dough for say, a rug, or some bookshelves - refer to your folder to see what kinds of bookshelves or rugs people are pairing with your desk, and pick a few favorite styles/colors to keep an eye out for when you're shopping.

Also, if you do find an antiques dealer who has a pretty good collection of modern stuff - talk to them. Antiques and furniture resellers usually have pretty tight margins and need to keep things moving to stay in business. If they know that you're looking to buy a stainless-steel topped desk, it's in their best interest to call you up ASAP and get it out the door rather than hope someone just chances upon it. I got some pretty good deals (heavily discounted end tables!) due to a good relationship with one of my local guys, who knew what I was looking for and was willing to give me some deals in exchange for buying several things in the span of a couple months.

*one rule of thumb I use: the 70%/20%/10% color scheme. Basically, pick three colors that you think go well together and you would like in a room. The lightest or most neutral gets roughly 70% of the room: wall paint, ceiling paint. The second lightest/neutralist gets 20%: uphoulstery, furniture color, rug. The brightest or craziest color is the 10%: throw pillows, lamps, art. No matter what the colors are, if you use this as a guide, your room will not look hideous.

vonnegutt fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 10, 2012

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
I live in an apartment and have an issue with the lighting in the kitchen. For an apartment the kitchen is large and well laid out but the only light is above the island. The sink is across from the island so while doing the dishes your body casts a shadow into the sink making it hard to see. It is just about time to renew the lease and I will see if the management company will add a light fixture.

As a plan B I could add some track lighting and run the cord across the ceiling and down the wall long the edge of the cabinets. Does anyone have any tricks for hiding a cord?

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

alucinor posted:

You will also have some luck looking for "reproductions" online. I say that because they are more like knock-offs. There are entire sites dedicated to selling midcentury modern knock offs, and Overstock has a ton, too. I bought a couple wannabe Eames molded rockers from them, as well as a fake George Nelson bench and a tulip table.

The key is to mix up quality, then add color and life. My tulip table is a fake but it looks amazing because I purchased some of Crate and Barrel's Arne Jacobson Series 7-inspired chairs (basically molded plywood forms with walnut veneer), and then I hung an Ikea Knappa pendant lamp overhead. Add some nicely framed art (a Keith Haring pop shop print from art.com professionally mounted, in my case), some color (a runner, placemats, some interesting period ceramic ware, whatever), and some fresh cut flowers or potted plants for life and you've got an amazing room for cheap. This pattern works in any room.

There is a whole cottage industry for bringing Chinese MCM knockoffs to us middle class folk. If you can't afford the real ones, I honestly don't have any problems with these as long as you don't try to pass them off as genuine. I think the idea is to mix in the more affordable authentic pieces. For example I have an Emeco navy chair and a real Nelson starburst clock, and I just ordered a bullet planter, because they are affordable. If you live reasonably close to a major city then there is bound to be an antique shop or a guy on Craigslist who deals mainly in MCM.

Also don't be afraid to build your own furniture! MCM is all about simple, clean lines with interesting shape and texture. I just built a small round table for some plants with a table top and legs from Lowes. I tapered the legs to make them appear period. My next project is to build a small side table with some hairpin legs from eBay. We also might build an Eames concept house bed. It's all pretty simple if you're not rich.

Finally, don't be afraid of Ikea. You can easily go overboard and look like a bad Ikea catalog. When buying stuff, say to yourself, "would this look like it came out of a dorm room?" If yes, put it back. There are tons of great little kitchen, lighting, and organization solutions that work great. You just need to avoid the particleboard. There are things like the Expedit bookcases that are design staples.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Sound_man posted:

I live in an apartment and have an issue with the lighting in the kitchen. For an apartment the kitchen is large and well laid out but the only light is above the island. The sink is across from the island so while doing the dishes your body casts a shadow into the sink making it hard to see. It is just about time to renew the lease and I will see if the management company will add a light fixture.

As a plan B I could add some track lighting and run the cord across the ceiling and down the wall long the edge of the cabinets. Does anyone have any tricks for hiding a cord?

I'd call up management and ask for a light fixture, maybe sweeten the deal by offering to buy the fixture yourself if they'll install it for you. If they're a decent management company they'll probably work with you on it, since it doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

If they won't budge make sure your lease allows you to drill holes in the ceiling to install your track lighting first. As for hiding the cord, there aren't too many good ways to hide it besides running it down the edge of cabinets/door frames so it's less obvious.

Edit to add my own question:

What's the best way to deep clean a couch? I've got a microfiber couch that's been drooled on by several dogs and it's getting kinda gross. Any good microfiber cleaning products out there?

Problem! fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 10, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
We got some fantastic stuff at an outlet from a big modern shop in San Antonio that sadly just went bust, I don't know if it is common for modern stores to have an outlet or not, but that might be another option.

Design Within Reach is pretty good and we have a couple dining chairs from there, but it gets expensive damned fast. We have an Eames rocker from there that was a Christmas present for both of us, it is probably our nicest piece of furniture, haha.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Sound_man posted:

Not trying to be a jerk but this does not sound good. If you have cabinets near the sink, install a strip of LEDs underneath for task lighting. Or if your current wiring/fixture can handle it, can you just get brighter bulbs for the main fixture? I went from 120W to 180W to fix the same issue, and the difference was amazing. If you're already at the max rating, switch to CFLs, which use less energy but put out more light. If you don't want it that bright the whole time, it's easy to install a dimmer switch, too.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
The neighbors who live above me are incredibly loud. Not just....living loud. Grand kids constantly having tantrums (screaming, crying, kicking the poo poo out of their floor/my ceiling), constantly dragging furniture around (like dragging a kitchen table over tile sort of sound), blasting Christmas music (even before Halloween this poo poo was happening), screaming at eachother constantly (I've actually heard the mother/grandmother yell "If you punch him, I'll punch you!", letting their monstrous grandchildren actually run around the apartment with shoes on.

I didn't complain for two months. I know Dianna (the neighbor) is caring for her grandson while his moms house is being renovated for some dangerous stuff, and having a 12 year old daughter and 5 year old son isn't the easiest for her either (how is that even possible?!). I figured things would calm down and only banged on the ceiling with a broom from time to time.

On Friday my landlord texted me like he does every month to ask if everything at the house was okay and I finally complained. He seemed unsurprised and said this isn't the first time he had to speak to them about noise (he used to live in my apartment before I lived there).

He spoke to them and they seem to have quieted down some (except the terrible Christmas music). I feel bad for complaining but I was never told that:

Dianna had kids/grandchildren
Dianna and her brood are loud as gently caress
Dianna and her brood are loving insane.

My landlord doesn't seem mad at me (he refers to me as a dream tenant so there's that...) but was I in my right to complain or does all of that crap fall under the sounds of "living reasonably"?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

cuntvalet posted:

My landlord doesn't seem mad at me (he refers to me as a dream tenant so there's that...) but was I in my right to complain or does all of that crap fall under the sounds of "living reasonably"?

You absolutely had a right to complain. It's one thing to hear footsteps and occasional voices, but when you can make out what they're saying and they're stomping around and yelling all day that's interfering with your reasonable enjoyment of the property. I lived in a place similar to your situation, they'd lock the kids in the bathroom as punishment for crying and they'd scream for hours in there with the tile amplifying the noise. I would've called the cops but it was in a foreign country and I didn't speak the language well enough to explain what was going on.

I wouldn't have waited for two months to make a complaint. Do they at least quiet down at night? In college I had my loud neighbor's phone number and I'd shoot him a text to shut the hell up when they were being unreasonably loud late at night, which worked decently well. I have a feeling this Dianna person will get all passive aggressive if you did that though.

I'd tell your landlord that come lease renewal time, either you go or they go. Odds are he'll want to keep you and boot the tenants he's gotten complaints about.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

You absolutely had a right to complain. It's one thing to hear footsteps and occasional voices, but when you can make out what they're saying and they're stomping around and yelling all day that's interfering with your reasonable enjoyment of the property. I lived in a place similar to your situation, they'd lock the kids in the bathroom as punishment for crying and they'd scream for hours in there with the tile amplifying the noise. I would've called the cops but it was in a foreign country and I didn't speak the language well enough to explain what was going on.

I wouldn't have waited for two months to make a complaint. Do they at least quiet down at night? In college I had my loud neighbor's phone number and I'd shoot him a text to shut the hell up when they were being unreasonably loud late at night, which worked decently well. I have a feeling this Dianna person will get all passive aggressive if you did that though.

I'd tell your landlord that come lease renewal time, either you go or they go. Odds are he'll want to keep you and boot the tenants he's gotten complaints about.

I wish that was true but they've lived there for 10 years already.

That said, I agree with the passive aggressiveness. Shes done weird stuff like move/reposition my garbage can and recycling box for no reason whatsoever except she didn't like that I had it next to my door step (I'm not hogging it, I have one and she has one!), trying to make me turn off all the power in the house when I was leaving after showing my boyfriend the place before I moved in and just saying and doing weird passive aggressive poo poo.

I hate to say it but she's socially inept, doesn't know how to word things and has been on disability for 15 years. Her husband (also on disability) is apparently dying of cancer so im hoping Joe won't lower their rent and instead, she'll have to move elsewhere once her husband dies.

This kinda adds to my bitterness because she'll let her demon grandson run around at 7 am while im trying to sleep because I have a full time job. I don't think she grasps that concept at all, work, I mean.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

vonnegutt posted:

Unfortunately modernist furniture is having a bit of a revival at the moment, leading to inflated prices. If you like to do a little sleuthing, get a book about modernist furniture, research some designers, and scour eBay, craigslist, and local antique stores and you can often find some high-quality modernist pieces (both authentic to the time period, and more recent copies) for between $200-$500. This is probably going to be the best way to get quality pieces. The demand right now is HUGE and prices are being inflated to match. Learning specific designer and company names, as well as specific trend groups (eg, Danish Modern) are key to crafting some good eBay and craigslist RSS feeds.

Otherwise, Crate and Barrel is another nationwide company that has modernist leanings.

A few more:

West Elm
Inhabit Living
Jonathan Adler

There are also tons of specialty stores (brick-and-mortar as well as online).

CB2 and Herman Miller are pretty great too.

PID.9
Nov 11, 2012

What is this feeling I'm feeling right now? It's like I'm sad for another person. Is that a thing? Am I going crazy?
I've been in my house for about a year and a half now. It's a new construction (I'm the first owner), and it still looks very builder grade. I don't like clutter, but my living room is a little too sparse even for me.

I like the sleek look of the wall mounted t.v. and floating shelf, but now the rest of the wall looks sad. I've contemplated some large floor vases or something, but I don't now how well they would work on carpet.

Any ideas for how to liven up this space (the wall with the t.v.)? I've included photos of the rest of the room to give you a better idea of the "style" going on in there.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I'd put a console table or bookshelves under it so that the TV is kind of connected to the ground in a way. It'd cover up the outlets and you could transfer some of the things on the shelf below the TV to said new surface. Right now they look crowded together. I would want the item to be as wide or a little wider than the TV or else it'd look weird IMO. Another thing you could try would be to get another set of those wibbly metal frames you have on the other walls and put one on each side to fill out the space.

I'd probably also want to move that reddish thing that's to the left of it because it makes the hallway look cramped. That'd even work as an under TV object although I'm not sure about the color (IMO that piece and your cofee table look a bit out of place anyway, but that could be my Everything Should Be Espresso prejudice).

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah I'd put a set of shelves or a long narrow table under the TV. I think you'd need a much bigger TV for it to look right by itself on that wall, the one you have now is swimming in all that space. Something like this would work.

Then if you got something like tall speaker towers to put on either side that wall won't look so huge and expansive.