Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just started Wild Thing, the sequel to Beat the Reaper. I've heard a lot of people saying it was inferior to the first book but I've been enjoying it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tyger41 posted:

I just started Wool by Hugh Howey so far I am liking it. I am in the second part of the Omnibus and I find myself being unable to put the book down at times because I want to know what is going to happen to the characters and hopefully figure out what is going on. Howey write in a way that build subtle suspense which is making the it hard to put the book down.

Last night I stayed up an hour later than I expected finishing up Wool Part 3 and said "Oh poo poo" out loud when it was over. I am counting the hours till the rest of my day is over so I can start on Part 4.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

nate fisher posted:

In the spirt of Halloween I just ordered Perdurabo, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Life of Aleister Crowley. Also picked up Warlock by Oakley Hall. It has been awhile since I read a western.

I was looking to read Shane but it's not on kindle and neither is that western :(
Last western I read (of only a few unfortunately) was Lonesome Dove, which was great.

Right now I'm reading David McCullough's 1776 and am enjoying it. I like to get some nonfiction reading, usually history, in-between my scifi/fantasy binging. I was trying to read Shelby Foote's 2nd volume in his Civil War series but I could never get past the first part. I read though the first volume at a steady pace, but this second volume just starts with Jefferson Davis and his goings-on and I couldn't get through it, kept putting it down, forgetting, re-reading, putting it down, etc etc. I should've just skipped ahead; maybe when I pick it up again if I still have that mental block.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

PlushCow posted:

I was looking to read Shane but it's not on kindle and neither is that western :(
Last western I read (of only a few unfortunately) was Lonesome Dove, which was great.

Have you read any McCarthy? I think All the Pretty Horses is a great place to start. Also heard great things about Blake's In the Rogue Blood. Haven't read it, but could be my next book.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

nate fisher posted:

Have you read any McCarthy? I think All the Pretty Horses is a great place to start. Also heard great things about Blake's In the Rogue Blood. Haven't read it, but could be my next book.

I'll have to check those out. I've only read McCarthy's Blood Meridian, which was :stare: with a lot of :stonk: and a little :cry: thrown in. Plus scalping.

From the descriptions I've just looked up I'm guessing All the Pretty Horses doesn't go that route, which is just fine by me.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Hedrigall posted:

The Book Barn > What book did you just begin/buy?

:raise:

A book set in Boston includes things that are known to exist in... Boston?? Oh my god. This is unprecedented.

My bad, I screwed up. I already said why I hated the repeated Boston references, so I won't go on with justifications.

I just started Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, and where I hated the constant Boston-checking in the above book, I am loving the nerd-checking in this one. Go figure.

I just bought Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan as well, as I've heard it's sort of in the same vein.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just started Tim Weiner's Legacy of Ashes which I'm thinking is going to be a tragi-comic history of dumb poo poo the CIA has done.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Does it have the story of the spy cat they spent something like the modern equivalent of a million bucks on, just to release it to go spy on some DAMNED COMMIES and have it get hit by a taxi?

That's my favorite :allears:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just starting the third book in the Wool series. Holy poo poo I love these books even if they are a bit depressing.

Iroel
Jun 28, 2012

PlushCow posted:

I'll have to check those out. I've only read McCarthy's Blood Meridian, which was :stare: with a lot of :stonk: and a little :cry: thrown in. Plus scalping.

From the descriptions I've just looked up I'm guessing All the Pretty Horses doesn't go that route, which is just fine by me.

No the trilogy book don't go that way. They are generally milder but incredibly good.
I have to say that while All the Pretty Horses is incredibly good, I found The Crossing the best.

I just started Hunger by Hamsun.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Orson Scott Card's second book in his time-jumping science-fantasy series- Ruins: Pathfinder Book 2, in audiobok format.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
I also started with a book written by Orson Scott Card: Ender's Game.
Since a very long time it is on my "To-Read" list. After the first few pages I really like it.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Just started Lord Byron's Don Juan. I wanted a break from some of the really dry political stuff I've been reading lately and so far it's fit the bill nicely.

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010
Just picked up Vonnegut's Letters, which only came out a few days ago.

I've read everything he's ever written, so this was a must-buy.

See you in the "Just Finished" thread after I swallow this thing whole!

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Ryoji posted:

I also started with a book written by Orson Scott Card: Ender's Game.
Since a very long time it is on my "To-Read" list. After the first few pages I really like it.

I bought that book and then made the mistake of looking up the author on Wikipedia. Now I can't face reading it. :negative:

Happyfacecrazy
Jul 30, 2010

Soft Kitty...
Warm Kitty...
Little Ball of Fur.
Happy Kitty...
Sleepy Kitty...
Purr, Purr, Purrr.
Just started reading Change of Heart by Jodi Picolt. I haven't been disappointed by her yet so we'll see.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Convexed posted:

I bought that book and then made the mistake of looking up the author on Wikipedia. Now I can't face reading it. :negative:

You've already given the mad bastard money, the damage is done! But Enders Game's alright (at least, I enjoyed it when I read it as a teenager). It was written long before he went openly loopy.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I just read Consider the Lobster and A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again and now I'm obsessed.

Infinite Jest has been sitting on my bookshelf for maybe 5 years, so I'm going to sort of actually read it now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Convexed posted:

Don't feel bad. I bought the entire 10 volume Mission Earth by L. Ron Hubbard before I found out who he was (this was before the internet). OSC is Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by comparison.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm starting Infinite Jest again after a couple of cold starts earlier this year. The page count doesn't deter me but Infinite Jest's story is so sprawling and its cast is so huge that it's daunting as hell to read. I have the same issue with Pynchon's novels.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm starting Infinite Jest again after a couple of cold starts earlier this year. The page count doesn't deter me but Infinite Jest's story is so sprawling and its cast is so huge that it's daunting as hell to read. I have the same issue with Pynchon's novels.

Had the same experience with that and Gravity's Rainbow. I've heard that Inherent Vice may be an easier read but I haven't ventured it yet.

What I have recently been reading is In the Ruins of Empire by Prankaj Mishra. It's a discussion, in the main, of the intellectual and political crosscurrents of the Middle East, China and to a lesser degree South Asia in the late 19th and early 20th centuries as older cultures contended with and struggled to react to their encounters with a newly energized West. It takes two intellectuals in particular and follows their respective careers, and for this reason, particularly since these are less well known figures, has something of the feel of a dissertation expanded into a book. Nevertheless, it's a lucid and fascinating read and good context for what continues to be a fraught set of relationships between the nations in these regions.

I'm also continuing to chip away at Capital, which, whether or not you agree with the economic analysis it encompasses, is a remarkable achievement and an essential read.

Fyrex
Jan 29, 2010
I've been on the hunt for some decent sci-fi. I recently began Neuromancer, and am about a quarter of the way through. It's definitely holding my attention.

Addy
Oct 14, 2012

Convexed posted:

Ugh, after the movie comes out he'll probably see a big surge in sales. Unless it bombs, which would make me feel bad because Ben Kingsley's in it. Still trying to decide whether I want to pay money to see Kingsley and let him profit a little MORE than I want to not pay money to not see Kingsley to not let the author profit.

Anyway, having said that, you already own the book, so try and disassociate the story from the author and read it, it's good. Then if you don't re-read books, toss it in a second hand store so charity benefits and he doesn't, and somebody else can buy it without giving him money. Or if you do re-read books and like me tend to go through multiple copies (or end up wanting to read the sequels as well), just get em from a second hand store in the first place.

Tyger41
Oct 8, 2012
After seeing it mentioned in a few thread in TBB I started The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox. I am loving it so far, it is funny and has been a page turner for me since I really want to know what is going to happen to those two next. Too bad I have heard that the 1st book is really great (which I agree) but the second two are not as great (which makes me sad).

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Tyger41 posted:

After seeing it mentioned in a few thread in TBB I started The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox. I am loving it so far, it is funny and has been a page turner for me since I really want to know what is going to happen to those two next. Too bad I have heard that the 1st book is really great (which I agree) but the second two are not as great (which makes me sad).

I think it's just that the first book set the bar so high, it's almost impossible to match. I didn't think the other two were awful by any means, just not as great. They were still decent, which is a lot more than you can say for some trilogies.

Addy
Oct 14, 2012

Nobody I know locally knows who the hell these two are, so I'm going to go ahead and get ridiculously excited all over here instead.

:neckbeard:

I am ridiculously happy right now. Also broke, but the fairy book appeared in a local used bookstore about a month back and I've been lusting after Folio copies since I first knew they existed (and saw pictures and descriptions of them). This is my first.

Also, way back in July, Gaiman posted about a new limited run of originally autographed hardcover copies of Stardust. Now it isn't my favorite story of his (see: Neverwhere and Sandman) but that's kind of like saying "well the hundred dollar bill isn't my *favorite* bill." I still loved it enough that I instantly wanted it. A lot. I assumed they would be long gone already even as I clicked the .com link to take a look, since it was on Gaiman's journal and I didn't see it until a few days after he'd posted. They weren't. I assumed there was no way they'd be available on Amazon.ca. They were. I spent all of half an hour wrestling with the fact that I just bought a house and I can't afford to spend that sort of money unnecessarily - and then I put in my credit card number (still assuming that they would be all gone already - they weren't!) and got myself in line. I've spent several months assuming that I'd get an email any day telling me "oh oops, sorry, that wasn't supposed to be on the Canada website/we offered too many copies, we can't send you it." It showed up today. I squealed, tore off the plastic wrap, and geeeeently pulled it out to admire it.

Before paying for both of these books I had a good long stern talk with myself about how these books were for *looking*, not touching. I haven't ever really believed in having books you can't touch, but I have readable copies of both so there was no reason to touch these. Except that they're so beautiful I can't help myself from reaching out over and over to stroke their covers, opening them and running my fingers the signature and the illustrations and over the paper itself and the oh goddammit I am *never* going to keep that promise to myself.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The Mission of the Sacred Heart by Randy Blazak. It's based on the ELO album A New World Record.

I'll let the author tell you about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQMqpk02bew

Con Queso
Mar 2, 2007

I'm maybe a quarter way through Infinite Jest right now, right after finishing Gravity's Rainbow, because I hate my frontal lobes and I want them to suffer.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Con Queso posted:

I'm maybe a quarter way through Infinite Jest right now, right after finishing Gravity's Rainbow, because I hate my frontal lobes and I want them to suffer.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Swim Good
Nov 9, 2012
Just started The Betrothed, so far it's insanely entertaining.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Just started Michael Chabon's "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay"

Never read anything by him before, so far so good.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
Just started We need to talk about Kevin.

I really don't care for the style of writing. It overly complicates things. Still trying to through it though as it is supposed to be good.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'm about 50 pages into Crime and Punishment.

Thus far it's reminded me of a few things: Lolita (themes mentioned in the intro, the ruminations of the protagonists, though I guess they arrive at in some ways opposite conclusions, from what I can tell so far), Quicksilver (the wandering around and stuff happens aspect of it, also the directionless student part), and adventure games/RPGs largely for the wander-wander-wander-SPEECH aspect..

StellaMcFly
Nov 10, 2012
I'm about finished with the first book of The Illuminatus! Trilogy, "The Eye in the Pyramid", but I count that as having just started the trilogy as a whole. So far, it's amazing. I'm fortunate to have someone with awesome/similar taste who recommends books to me when I'm having trouble picking one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Finally getting into PKD's The Man in the High Castle. I love a good alternate history story.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I just bought How Music Works by David Byrne in gorgeous quality hardcover. I am definitely looking forward to hearing his voice in my head for the next day or so. He writes exactly like he talks.

Aberlien
Feb 12, 2011

I am a doctor. This is science.
Truman Capote's In Cold Blood and I can't put it down, even for my own good (true crime novels and I after midnight have a bad history, just ask Robert Graysmith).

I bought it in hard copy a week ago, which I normally don't do but it was my birthday and my folks sent me a little extra money so I indulged. It might surpass my current favorite of five years running The Amazing Adventures Of Cavalier And Clay.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Started a biography of John Bankhead Magruder, an officer in the Civil War. It was written by my History professor so thats pretty cool. He gave me an autographed signed copy.

For only 36 dollars.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Wanted to give this ol' cyberpunk thing a go, so I purchased Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive. All by William Gibson, obviously.

Started Neuromancer this morning and read through the first part with ease. Really enjoyable so far: lots of ideas that slot in nicely with the fast paced and punchy style of Gibson's writing. Looking forward to seeing how the ideas of virtual reality and robotics play a larger part within the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
I’ve recently been reading The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. It’s a fun read but I’m not sure how relevant it is since the author loves to invoke Freudian thought into almost every page. Is this a respectable book?

• Locked thread