Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Dagnammit...I ordered Jim Bouton liquidated and replaced with Derek Lowe!

Please, exchange Jim Bouton for Derek Lowe (from AAA).

Other news:

I bid 64 Jim Bouton and 1 Ratings Challenge for the 98 David Cone

I also bid 57 Frank Sullivan and 1 Ratings Challenge on the 06 Roy Halladay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Super-Auction!

It is time to liquidate the Superstars. As a result, I am putting their remaining assets up for auction. Here's how the bidding will work:

-Any owner with a team, Expansion or Super-League, can bid, and can bid as many times as they like.

-Owners can bid anything they want, players, draft picks, whatever. But, they can't include the same players/draft picks in multiple bids at the same time.

-I will decide how much a bid is worth, and whether it is more than the current bid for a player.

-The Super-Auction will run for a few days, probably until the end of the week.

-Enjoy.

Players on the auction block

Catchers
'98 Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez (Ineligible for 16 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '99 Jose Canseco and '99 Fred McGriff (OXB)
'06 Bengie "Not as good as Yadier, better than Jose" Molina
Current Bid: '40 Birdie Tebbetts (CHO)
'11 Jack "Action" Lapp
Current Bid:

First Basemen
'64 Harmon "Killer" Killebrew
Current Bid: '74 Steve Garvey and a 2nd Round Super-Draft Pick(SJE)
'09 Travis "Pronk" Hafner
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (PHF)

Second Basemen
'11 Larry "El Zilcho" Gardner
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge
'34 Odell "Bad News" Hale
Current Bid:
'10 "Thunder" Jim Delahanty
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (POR)
'68 Dick "The Downward Spiral" McAuliffe
Current Bid: '67 Denis Menke (SJE)

Third Basemen
'85 Wade "Wade" Boggs
Current Bid: '84 Rick Sutcliffe, 3rd round dispersal draft pick, '28 George Sisler, '74 Charlie Hough, '77 Rico Carty (SJE)
'96 "Doomsday" Matt Williams
Current Bid: '70 Lou Brock, '10 David Aardsma and '98 Bill Spiers (NOM)
'11 David "Deep" Freese
Current Bid: '98 Shane Reynolds and 1 Ratings Challenge (NOM)
'09 "The Fall of" Troy Glaus
Current Bid:

Shortstops
'97 Derek "Gift Basket" Jeter (Ineligible for 33 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '82 Robin Yount and '65 Bob Allison (CUN)
'09 Jhonny "Spell Check" Peralta
Current Bid:

Left Fielders
'66 Frank "The Thunder God" Robinson
Current Bid: '85 Paul Molitor (POR)

Center Fielders
'01 Andruw "Name Not Found" Jones (Ineligible for remainder of Super-League VII)
Current Bid: '19 Max Flack (PHF)
'06 Vernon "Not the dude from Mad Max" Wells
Current Bid:
'19 Happy "The Gambling Man" Felsch
Current Bid:
'54 Larry "The Team Killer" Doby
Current Bid: 3rd Round Dispersal Draft Pick (NOM)

Right Fielders
'03 Vladimir "How does a walk work?" Guerrero
Current Bid: '74 Jimmy Wynn (SJE)
'75 Dwight "Mr. Naptime" Evans
Current Bid: '84 Joe Carter, '77 Andre Thornton (SJE)

Starting Pitching
'41 Bucky "Buckford" Walters
Current Bid: '55 Eddie Yost and 1 Ratings Challenge (DUB)
'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay
Current Bid: '64 Jim Bouton, '57 Frank Sullivan, 1 Ratings Challenge (NEA)
'06 A.J. "Depression that Walks like a man" Burnett
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (RCH)
'66 Steve "Sting" Carlton
Current Bid: '75 Carlton Fisk and '73 George Foster (DUB)
'98 David "Flash-man" Cone
Current Bid: '97 Derek Lowe, 2nd Round Dispersal Draft Pick, 1 Ratings Challenge (NEA)
'09 Chris "gently caress the Cardinals" Carpenter
Current Bid: '91 George Bell (CHO)
'78 John "The Candy Man" Candelaria
Current Bid: '04 Russ Ortiz

Relievers
'61 Stan "A Man" Williams
Current Bid: '89 Jeff Montgomery (RYL)
'01 John "I love New York" Rocker
Current Bid: 1 Rating Challenge (RYL)
'86 "The Eternal" Jesse Orosco
Current Bid: '98 Shigetoshi Hasegawa, '86 Oil Can Boyd, '87 Jimmy loving Key (NFK)
'06 B.J. "The Beej" Ryan
Current Bid: 2 Rating Challenges (POR)
'78 Tug "Tugglesworth" McGraw
Current Bid: '74 Bill Buckner (SJE)
'09 Jason "Applesauce" Motte
Current Bid: '64 Joe Adcock and 1 Ratings Challenge (NOM)
'90 Dan "Don Pleasance" Plesac
'11 "Dead Man" Joaquin Benoit
Current Bid:

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 8, 2012

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The Non-Existants division is loving stupid. More of you assholes need to go tank like the Elephants. :argh:

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

I think it's time for the Dervishes to step into the fray and try and grab some pitching.

For '41 Bucky "Buckford" Walters we will bid 1955 Eddie Yost and a ratings challenge.

For '66 Steve "Sting" Carlton we will bid 1975 Carlton Fisk and 1973 George Foster.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Smasher: Just to confirm, Cronin is out for the playoffs too, right? Were I to acquire the Superstars' Jeter, when would he be available to my team? I know it says 33 days, but does that mean 2nd or final round of the playoffs?

ToiletofSadness fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 8, 2012

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

I'm changing my bids, since they are apparently worthless (JIM BOUTON!).

For the 06 Roy Halladay, I bid the 64 Jim Bouton, the 57 Frank Sullivan, and One (1) Ratings Challenge.

For the 98 David Cone, I bid a 97 Derek Lowe, a 2nd Round Draft Pick, and One (1) Ratings Challenge.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
The ratings challenges aren't really worth, anything, new owners. They're basically the bid you make to claim a guy nobody wants, but they won't swing anything major in your favor.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
what are ratings challenges?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Toilet of Sadness

Jeter would be available either for end of the first round series or the beginning of the second round series depending on how long the first round lasted.

Cronin is out for the year, though.

ManifunkDestiny

A ratings challenge allows an owner to challenge the rating that the Mogul engine gives to a player.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Tornados
Analysis

Harry Howell is even worse than his ERA indicates. I suggest using Drysdale. Or firing Howell out of a cannon. As to your actual pitchers, they are pretty legit. One of, if not the best, rotations in the league. My one concern would be a lack of real strikeout power - you need to make sure you don't suffer from the Juggernauts Deiase, where you get into your lineup a bunch of massive bats who cannot defend, then put the ball into play all the time.
He's thrown 5 innings.
Quit hating on Howell!

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Last time I get to use this banner, sigh...

Line-up
  1. Duke Snider (CF)
  2. Al Simmons (LF)
  3. Lou Whitaker (2B)
  4. Babe Ruth (RF)
  5. John Olerud (1B)
  6. Scot Rolen (3B)
  7. Lloyd Moseby (DH)
  8. Asdrubal Cabrera (SS)
  9. Ted Smimmons (C) (Daulton is Cy Young's personal catcher)

Bids!
Smith and a 2nd round pick for Orosco
Grimes and a ratings challenge for Carlton
Ratings challenge and Stoddard for Gardener

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
EC Owners

As the replacement refs seem to have figured it out to some degree, we'll be switching back to a regular schedule where I email updates to the_goog for authoring, so you'll miss out on me hating Howell and everyone's defence.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

He's thrown 5 innings.
Quit hating on Howell!

No :colbert:

Robert_Deadford posted:

I'm changing my bids, since they are apparently worthless (JIM BOUTON!).

For the 06 Roy Halladay, I bid the 64 Jim Bouton, the 57 Frank Sullivan, and One (1) Ratings Challenge.

For the 98 David Cone, I bid a 97 Derek Lowe, a 2nd Round Draft Pick, and One (1) Ratings Challenge.

The superstars got that David Cone for a 3rd round draft pick. DO NOT SPEND A 2ND ROUND DISPERSAL DRAFT PICK ON DAVID CONE. A 2nd round super draft pick maybe.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 8, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Before I forget again, Posey out, Sweeney in. This is the mantra.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
The Daydreamers bid a ratings challenge each on Jhonny Peralta and Vernon Wells.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Goddamnit, stop sucking, Felix.

Replace Felix with Dean Chance.

And what's up with Ausmus? I'm pretty sure he never hit above .390 with 2 homers at any point past high school.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

CraigK posted:

Goddamnit, stop sucking, Felix.

Replace Felix with Dean Chance.

And what's up with Ausmus? I'm pretty sure he never hit above .390 with 2 homers at any point past high school.

I'm going to give you a free ratings challenge on King Felix - if you put some info together about how he compares to other SL pitchers, I'll review his rating.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Also, 86/95 Rated Mitch Melusky is available for trade offers since I don't have a spot for him! Look at that 86 current rating and 95 potential! He could be the next Mike Piazza!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm going to give you a free ratings challenge on King Felix - if you put some info together about how he compares to other SL pitchers, I'll review his rating.

It just seems like he's having a bad month, but OTOH I don't get why a guy who struck out 8.5/9 in 2010 suddenly saw his K-rate almost half here. I mean, I expect some falloff, but yikes. Can't really say much more without seeing his actual ratings.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 8, 2012

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Robert_Deadford posted:

I might be just bitter because you are foiling my grand scheme to have Double David Cone (DD Cone if you will), but come on dude, it's just David Cone.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Also, new owners, is there anything that you guys want to see reported statistics or analysis wise? I can only work with the limitations of the game obviously but if you mention what you want to see I can cough it up.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Also, new owners, is there anything that you guys want to see reported statistics or analysis wise? I can only work with the limitations of the game obviously but if you mention what you want to see I can cough it up.

PA, SLG, BABIP, and L/R splits for hitters, especially Hrbek, Robinson, and my C's. BBs for pitchers. Fielding ratings for Dykstra and Puckett.

e: Also I see Boog still rated 80/97, I assume I lost my challenge? I understand that his BABIP will normalize (indeed it seems to be doing so already), but I also think 80 is a low rating for a dude who can mash.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 8, 2012

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

mks5000 posted:

I might be just bitter because you are foiling my grand scheme to have Double David Cone (DD Cone if you will), but come on dude, it's just David Cone.

But...but....but....OK.

I hereby untable my ridiculous bid for 98 David Cone.

I think I saw him in an almost-perfect-game duel with Mike Mussina in 2001....

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mornacale posted:

PA, SLG, BABIP, and L/R splits for hitters, especially Hrbek, Robinson, and my C's. BBs for pitchers. Fielding ratings for Dykstra and Puckett.

e: Also I see Boog still rated 80/97, I assume I lost my challenge? I understand that his BABIP will normalize (indeed it seems to be doing so already), but I also think 80 is a low rating for a dude who can mash.

I'm thinking about Boog still sorry - the real question as his predicted stats outside of the expected. There is also a larger issue about how good Boog really is, and what Smasher's view is on guys who have unusual career trajectories.

The way BBM works is that it assesses a players full career and then maps it to a standard career profile, with the height of the start, end and peak being set by the quality of the player and his career length. This approach is normally reliable, but some guys don't look like that - typically because BBM doesn't know about 'external events'

For example, look at Hornsby and Barry Bonds.

During the 1930 season, Hornsby broke his ankle and never really recovered as a player, but limped on as a pinch hitting rear end in a top hat for some time after that. However, because BBM2013 has no idea about the injury he suffered, 1931 Hornsby is still a good SL player.

Similarly, Barry Bonds discovered the secret of inner peace circa 2000, and became the best hitter to ever play baseball. However, BBM doesn't know about Ser Barrold's discovery of transcendence and so 1999 Bonds is a better hitter than 2001 Bonds.

This effect is what is making Boog an 80/97 guy - BBM sees him as starting a great career, rather than what he actually was. I want to consult with Smasher before making any significant decisions because I don't want to give you unrealistic expectations for SL performance. The reality is, is he's not a SL firstbaseman - if you have less than 60 WAR you need not apply imho. Todd Helton is about the minimum acceptable standard.

As for your actual request for stats, for the next update I'll see about throwing up the Sabremetric stats, which will get you BBs, SLG, and PAs. It's a bit more challenging to give you L/R splits so I might have to deny that.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 9, 2012

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'd like to see SLG, PA, and K for hitters, BB, HR and H for pitchers, and BABIP for both in addition to what's already available.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Cool, not trying to be pushy. You posted about him before the last sim, so I wasn't sure if that meant you decided or not, and I am clawing for every advantage with 10 consecutive division matches coming up. (So actually I should probably be a little pushy.)

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Drop Jimmy Rollins to 8th in the lineup. Shift everyone else accordingly.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Lineup Changes For The Week
-Send down Hidalgo, bring up Brock and replace Carl Everett with him
-DH Alou for the week, send Allen to 3B and Bagwell to first base
-Send down Gutierrez and bring up Melusky, I'm riding that hot horse
-New Rotation is now Johnson-Gibson-Carlton-Lee-Chance

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VII, Dynamo League Week 23: God is my co-pilot, but his blood-alcohol levels are off the charts

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

UNSPECIFIEDS STAY ALIVE WITH 7-6 WIN OVER BANGERS

The Dome- In their first two incarnations, the Unspecifieds mainly sucked and died. This time, though, they're looking to do more. A lot more.

With today's win, the Unspecifieds pull within 4.5 games of the division-leading Finger-Bangers and, with three more games between the two coming in the final week of the season, the Unspecifieds still have an outside shot of knocking off the Bangers and taking their first Sic Transit Vir Division championship.

Marauder was quick to dismiss this possibility, "Yes, yes, in a season where most of the division races have fizzled so dramatically, the powers-that-be have a proprietary interest in making it appears as though the underdog stands even the barest chance of success against the wicked tyrant of the Sic Transit Vir Division. Oh, what a glorious story that would, the virtuous Unspecifieds pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and casting the Bangers into the dustbin of history, but in the real world, such flights of fantasy are just that, the lies we speak to ourselves in moments of desperation, that dying dream that comes before the final end. Did I enjoy seeing John Hiller blow this game, allowing four straight baserunners in the bottom of the twelfth inning to reach base, costing us the game? I did not, and it was unfortunate, but that does not change reality. The Unspecifieds simply do not have enough time to overtake us. That is the world we all live in. The underdog will not have its day, the meek shall not inherit the Super-League and, for the fifth straight season, I will have at least one team in the Super-League Finals."

blackmongoose, who has apparently lost whatever he had left of his mind, began his own press conference by painting over a poster with the Bangers' logo on it, leaving the surface completely white, which is the closest thing to a logo his own Unspecified possess. He then began screaming at the top of his lungs, "MARAUDER! YOU AND YOUR TEAM HAVE TWISTED THE SUPER-LEAGUE FOR TOO LONG! THE TIME OF RECKONING IS AT HAND!" blackmongoose then destroyed the poster, getting wet pain all over his ceremonial robes in the process.

Box Score

Don May posted:

DERVISHES ROLL DAYDREAMERS 5-0, DUNN PITCHES DUNN FORCE REBOOT

Barrow-in-Furness- No one expected this to be a competitive game...and it wasn't.

Bob Gibson threw a two-hitter and the Dervishes easily dispatched the Daydreamers today, and enjoyed their final trip to Barrow of this season and, looking at the standings, probably their final trip to Barrow ever.

Johnny Bench, the Dervishes' starting catcher, reflecting on the time he spent in this town, "Obviously, I don't know a lot about Britain, but I guess what little I do know, I learned from Barrow. Because of this town, I now assume that the entirety of Britain is cold, rainy, and a bit past its prime. Also, the people are oddly fond of hard cider, which is fine, but it's a bit sweeter than I really want out of my alcoholic beverage. I guess it's not the worst place to spend a few days, but, then again, in a league with franchises in Polyarny and Antarctica, that isn't saying much."

In the other locker room, a heavily inebriated Adam Dunn had his own concerns, "Okay, the ship is sinking and there's nothing we can do about that. This totally isn't my fault, though, it's probably gingerman's fault. But it doesn't matter, ol' Dunn's going to land on his feet. Okay, here's my new idea. Adam Dunn come homes from the war to find that his old neighborhood has fallen under the control of drug dealers and a corrupt police department. So he kills all of them...not at once, like, you'd space it out over the course of the movie. It would be pretty great. I'm thinking of starting a kickstarter for it. I mean, if those Penny Arcade guys can get people to pay for their not to be advertising on their website, which makes no loving sense at all, then I can get money for MaxiDunn Justice."

Box Score

Don May posted:

BULLDOGS BEATEN BY UNKNOWN PITCHER

Chicago- Who is James Minet?

That is what the Bulldogs want to know after the mysterious Minet held them to just two runs over nine innings, leading to a 10-inning Saints wins that seemingly put the nail in the Bulldogs' hopes of winning the Memento Mori Division, where they now trail the Imperialists by seven games.

TKBomber was livid, "I see how it is, you are all try to screw me out of another championship. I deserve to win, and you know it, and this is why you keep trying to stop me. Who was it this time? Did you do this, Smasher? Still upset that I 'cheated' the system by making that alt account? Or maybe you, Cthulhu, I know that you were pretty pissed off that I wouldn't let you loot the Superstars, weren't you? Well, I don't care who James Minet is, because he's not going to stop me. Look at the standings, I'm not going to the Gauntlet, I'm going to be safe and next year, now that Pete Alexander is back in the fold...well, the Imperialists got lucky last year, they got lucky this year, but I promise you that they aren't going to get lucky three times in a row. We'll be back, and then you will all be sorry for what you've done."

As for James Minet, he could not be found after the game. In fact, there appears to be no evidence at all that he ever existed, deepening the mystery.

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

Traynor is healthy.

Analysis

Chipper Jones should probably be your starter at 3B in the Gauntlet.

Analysis

Okay, Williams isn't working out, it's time to either give McDowell another shot or roll the dice with Appier.

Analysis

They need to rally, if only because there's a limit to how many rounds a teams can be reasonably expected to survive the Gauntlet.

Analysis

Still rolling. Might be time to spell some of your tired players to get them ready for the playoffs.

Analysis

Hey, at least Griffey finally showed that power you were complaining about last time.

Analysis

Schilling and Ryan are ready to come back.

Analysis

If this doesn't work out, how about you name your next team "A Team Named Sue"?

Analysis

NO!

Analysis

Interesting in theory, disastrous in practice. Also, I'll never understand why you put Valenzuela in relief. That is NOT how Fernandomania works!

Analysis

Now that you have Alexander back, you can team him with Wood and recreate the Ryan/Alexander tandem that led the Skyhawks to three titles.

Analysis

If I could make it so that every team could be a winner, I would. If I could make it so that no team came in last place, I would. But I can't do either of those things, and this is what has to happen as a result.

Analysis

How the gently caress does your team keep surviving?

Analysis

Your team is probably going to be the first ever to have two 20-game winners, or at least the first one I remember doing so.

Analysis

I need to figure out and isolate what settings you have on your team that are leading your A.I. Manager to get your starters to pitching complete game after complete game.

Analysis

At least you guys did better than the Superstars.

Standings and Leaders

Playoffs/Gauntlet Picture

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

L/R splits for sure, SABR stats would be nice.

Less hating on Howell.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-Auction!

It is time to liquidate the Superstars. As a result, I am putting their remaining assets up for auction. Here's how the bidding will work:

-Any owner with a team, Expansion or Super-League, can bid, and can bid as many times as they like.

-Owners can bid anything they want, players, draft picks, whatever. But, they can't include the same players/draft picks in multiple bids at the same time.

-I will decide how much a bid is worth, and whether it is more than the current bid for a player.

-Enjoy.

Catchers
'11 Jack "Action" Lapp
Current Bid: '18 Slim Love (LUN)

First Basemen
Current Bid: '74 Steve Garvey and a 2nd Round Super-Draft Pick(SJE)

Second Basemen
Current Bid: 1 Ratings challenge and '80 Tim Stoddard (SLA)
Current Bid:
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (POR)
Current Bid: '67 Denis Menke (SJE)

Third Basemen
'85 Wade "Wade" Boggs
Current Bid: '84 Rick Sutcliffe, 3rd round dispersal draft pick, '28 George Sisler, '74 Charlie Hough, '77 Rico Carty (SJE)
'11 David "Deep" Freese
Current Bid:

Shortstops
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (BAR)

Left Fielders
Current Bid: '85 Paul Molitor and '78 Dave Parker (POR)

Center Fielders
'01 Andruw "Name Not Found" Jones (Ineligible for remainder of Super-League VII)
Current Bid: '19 Max Flack (PHF)
Current Bid:

Right Fielders
Current Bid: '74 Jimmy Wynn (SJE)

Starting Pitching
'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (RCH)
Current Bid: '97 Larry Walker, '70 Thurman Munson, and '78 Dennis Leonard (LUN)
Current Bid: '97 Derek Lowe, 2nd Round Dispersal Draft Pick, 1 Ratings Challenge (NEA)

Relievers
Current Bid: '98 Shigetoshi Hasegawa, '86 Oil Can Boyd, '87 Jimmy loving Key (NFK)
'06 B.J. "The Beej" Ryan
Current Bid: '65 Bill Pleis (CUN)
Current Bid: 2 Rating Challenges (LUN)
Current Bid:

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 9, 2012

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Luna Landers

The Landers make the following bids:

'90 Dan Plesac -- Our two remaining ratings challenges.

'66 Frank Robinson -- '80 Rickey Henderson.

'11 Jack Lapp -- '11 Slim "Slim Love" Love.

'66 Steve Carlton -- '96 Larry Walker, '70 Thurman Munson, and '78 Dennis Leonard.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The power of love keeps the Generics going.

Swap Kent and Berra in the lineup. We'll bid Wall Donne for John "I Love NY" Rocker.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

vs RHP
CF Kirby Puckett
LF Sir Barroldius Lamar Bonds, Esq.
1B Kent Hrbek
RF Babe Herman
C Bill Freehan
2B Dick McAuliffe
SS Luis Aparicio
3B Brooks Robinson
P

vs LHP
C Bill Freehan
CF Kirby Puckett
1B Kent Hrbek
LF Barry Bonds
RF Babe Herman
3B Brooks Robinson
SS Luis Aparicio
2B George Grantham
P

Sliders
Hit and Run: -2
Sac Bunt: -4
Squeeze Play: -2
Steal Bases: 2
(all the rest as before)

Instructions
- :siren: Skip Red Lucas's spot in the rotation. The next starter should be Mickey Lolich.
- Ernie Lombardi becomes personal catcher for Pat Dobson (please make sure he's not the personal catcher for anyone else).
- If possible, return to H&R -3, Bunt -5, Squeeze -3, Steal -1 after a week. Also return Grantham to 2B against RHP.
- Make all those tired and sore guys on my opponents' teams get hurt. :baby:

:siren: Auction Bids
'01 John Rocker: 1 ratings challenge
I claim that Cthulhu, having 6 challenges, receives lower utility from each than I do, having only two remaining. Hence, my challenge is more valuable and consequently my bid beats his.

Now I will bid funnily-named players for anyone who no one is bidding on:
'34 Odell "Bad News" Hale: 1932 Estel "Crabby" Crabtree
'09 "The Fall of" Troy Glaus: 1932 JoJo Morrissey
'19 Happy "The Gambling Man" Felsch: 1932 "Handy" Andy "Knee" High
'11 "Dead Man" Joaquin Benoit: 1932 Ownie Carroll

e: By the way, it sucks for EC teams that we can't add depth from this.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

^ Not sure it matters hugely, given that someone just bid a real player.

Cultists Bid Ted Lilly on AJ Burnett

Cultists Bid Jeff Reardon and 1935 Bob Johnson on Killibrew.

quote:

Instructions
- :siren: Skip Red Lucas's spot in the rotation. The next starter should be Mickey Lolich.

The AI will automatically do this if it thinks Lolich is well rested enough to start when Red Lucas comes up - it basically always says 'is the staff ace fit enough to start over the scheduled starter?' which is why at the start of the season you see the high endurance rotations don't let the 5th starter pitcher, like at all.

I can force the AI to start him, but you run the risk that Lolich is still tired, and while it's your call I don't recommend it. Consider also bumping up the 'start on short rest' slider.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 9, 2012

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Put Traynor back at 3B.

I'll bid Bill Pleis on B.J. Ryan

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Well let's see here. Since he'd be losing his job to "The Thunder God" anyways, I guess I will up my bid on '66 Frank Robinson to '85 Paul Molitor and '78 Dave Parker

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Could I get it confirmed whether or not you're accepting my earlier bids? If not, 1) this is an outrage!, and 2) please post the minimum bid. :shobon:

Catchers
'11 Jack "Action" Lapp: 1932 Ray Kolp

Second Basemen
'11 Larry "El Zilcho" Gardner: 1968 Jim Rooker + 2004 Freddy Sanchez
'10 "Thunder" Jim Delahanty: 1990 Gary Gaetti
'68 Dick "The Downward Spiral" McAuliffe: '68 Dick McAuliffe

Shortstops
'09 Jhonny "Spell Check" Peralta: 2004 Ty Wigginton

Center Fielders
'01 Andruw "Name Not Found" Jones: 1964 Jackie Brandt + 1968 Jim Northrup
'54 Larry "The Team Killer" Doby: 1990 Shane Mack

Right Fielders
'03 Vladimir "How does a walk work?" Guerrero: 2004 Craig Wilson + 1968 Willie Horton

Starting Pitching
'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay: 1964 Robin Roberts + 1968 Earl Wilson + 1968 Eddie Matthews + 2004 Sean Burnett
'06 A.J. "Depression that Walks like a man" Burnett: 1968 Les Cain + 2004 Ryan Vogelsong
'66 Steve "Sting" Carlton: 1968 Denny McLain + 2004 Jason Bay + 1990 Kevin Tapani + 1932 Si Johnson + 1932 Eppa Rixey
'98 David "Flash-man" Cone: 1968 Juan Berenguer + 1932 Harry Heilman + 1968 Elroy Face

Relievers
'61 Stan "A Man" Williams: 1964 Harvey Haddix + 2004 John Grabow + 1990 Rick Garces
'01 John "I love New York" Rocker: 2004 Salomon Torres + 2004 Oliver Perez
'86 "The Eternal" Jesse Orosco: 1990 Brian Harper + 1968 Don McMahon + 1964 Steve Barber + 1990 Scott Erickson + 2004 Jose Bautista
'06 B.J. "The Beej" Ryan: 1964 Wes Stock + 1964 Mike McCormick
'78 Tug "Tugglesworth" McGraw: 1932 Harvey Hendrick + 1964 Norm Siebern
'90 Dan "Don Pleasance" Plesac: 2004 Jose Mesa

:love: Have fun Smasher! :love:

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 9, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-Auction!

-Enjoy.

Catchers
'11 Jack "Action" Lapp
Current Bid: '18 Slim Love (LUN)

First Basemen
Current Bid: '81 Jeff Reardon and '35 Bob Johnson (RYL)

Second Basemen
Current Bid: '68 Jim Rooker, '04 Freddie Sanchez (WEB)
Current Bid: '32 Estel Crabtree (WEB)
Current Bid: '90 Gary Gaetti (WEB)
Current Bid: '68 Dick McAuliffe (WEB)

Third Basemen
'85 Wade "Wade" Boggs
'11 David "Deep" Freese
Current Bid: '32 Jojo Morrisey (WEB)

Shortstops
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (BAR) (Note to Mornacale: Yes, I'd rather have the ratings challenge, because then at least there's the theoretical possibility that something good might happen, unlike with Wigginton)

Left Fielders
Current Bid: '85 Paul Molitor and '78 Dave Parker (POR)

Center Fielders
Current Bid: '64 Jackie Brandt, '68 Jim Northup (WEB)
Current Bid: '32 Andy High (WEB)

Right Fielders
Current Bid: '04 Craig Wilson, '68 Willie Horton (WEB)

Starting Pitching
'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay
Current Bid: '68 Les Cain, '04 Ryan Vogelsong (WEB)
Current Bid: '97 Larry Walker, '70 Thurman Munson, and '78 Dennis Leonard (LUN)

Relievers
Current Bid: '04 Salomon Torres, '04 Oliver Perez (WEB)
Current Bid: '04 Jose Bautista, '90 Brian Harper, a bunch of poo poo that I'm not going to waste my time giving to the Superstars anyway (WEB)
'06 B.J. "The Beej" Ryan
Current Bid: '64 Wes Stock, '64 Mike Mccormick (WEB)
Current Bid: '04 Jose Mesa (WEB)
Current Bid: '32 Ownie Carroll (WEB)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Current Bid: '04 Jose Bautista, '90 Brian Harper, a bunch of poo poo that I'm not going to waste my time giving to the Superstars anyway (WEB)

Just to confirm: when you say "giving to the Superstars" what exactly does that mean? Just adding them to the team to play out the season? Do they go in the dispersal draft afterward? Most importantly, the confederated Superstars owners can't get their hands on them, right?

And Don McMahon was a quality pitcher. :colbert:

Anyway:
'11 Jack Lapp: 1932 Eppa Rixey
'09 Jhonny Peralta: 1932 Harvey Hendrick
'06 Roy Halladay: 1964 Norm Siebern, 1932 Si Johnson, 1968 Denny McLain, 1990 Kevin Tapani
'66 Steve Carlton: 1964 Robin Roberts, 1964 Wally Bunker, 1968 Norm Cash, 1968 Earl Wilson, 2004 Jason Bay
'98 David Cone: 1990 Shane Mack, 1932 Harry Heilman, 1964 Harvey Haddix, 1968 Elroy Face
'61 Stan Williams: 1968 Jon Wyatt, 1990 Juan Berenguer, 1990 Rick Garces, 2004 Sean Burnett
'78 Tug McGraw: 1964 Eddie Matthews, 1990 Terry Leach, 2004 Raul Mondesi, 2004 John Grabow

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

In addition to my (86 OVR/95 POT) catcher Mitch Meluskey offer, I'm going to put someone likely to draw a little more trade interest.

Given that my team is likely to be out-UZRed by nine Fatheads glued to a cardboard backing, Felix Hernandez is getting destroyed pretty hard, and he deserves better than that, because he loving rules.. So I'm willing to listen to offers to pack in Mitch Meluskey with him to get back a drat good strikeout-throwing ace pitcher.

:siren: Don't be alarmed by the ERA at first! Given even an average defense behind him he's going to light poo poo up :siren:

It's going to need to be a kickass strikeout dude (at least 8 K/9) and either a 95 overall rating or a 98+ potential rating to get the both of them. To even get me talking about trading Felix, it's going to have to be a dude with a 90 OVR rating with a high K/9. I'm talking ace-for-ace poo poo here.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

And we continue our crusade despite the Generics continuing to overperform their pythagorean record by nearly ten games. Ah well, even ten games better than they should be is still eight games back of a legitimate team. In any event, given that 2/3rds of my outfield is sore, I guess it is time to let some players sit for a bit. Since I understand Curtis Granderson is constitutionally incapable of hitting lefties, and George Foster is right handed, I think we can make a little something work.

Lineups for the coming week:

pre:
vs LHP
1. RF Stan Musial
2. CF Earl Averill
3. 3B Tony Perez
4. 1B Buck Leonard
5. C Johnny Bench
6. LF George Foster
7. 2B Dave Concepcion
8. SS Ozzie Smith

vs RHP
1. LF Joe Jackson
2. RF Stan Musial
3. 2B Joe Morgan
4. 1B Buck Leonard
5. C Johnny Bench
6. 3B Tony Perez
7. CF Curtis Granderson
8. SS Ozzie Smith

Looking at the current pitching alignments of my upcoming opponents, I should be facing 4 LHP and 3 RHP as starters over the course of this week. I assume this configuration will allow a few days rest to anyone currently flagging without severely impacting my offensive production thanks to favorable platoon splits.

Beet fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 9, 2012