Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Octopus Magic posted:

I always wonder what the shelf life of those ghetto-fab crawlers with the roofs cut off is. A year? More?

Maybe it's because I live in Boston.

Yea you gotta get out where people put swampers on Astros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The description started out innocently enough... '89 Caprice with an LS7. Interesting! But then... 30" wheels. Fiberglassed interior. Lambo doors. Reverse-hinged hood and trunk. The Incredible Hulk theme. Oh poo poo, we landed squarely into this thread's territory.

Full album here:

http://imgur.com/a/sl4pj

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

The description started out innocently enough... '89 Caprice with an LS7. Interesting! But then... 30" wheels. Fiberglassed interior. Lambo doors. Reverse-hinged hood and trunk. The Incredible Hulk theme. Oh poo poo, we landed squarely into this thread's territory.

Full album here:

Putting an LS7 in that thing makes it terrifying. Dear god, that is a horrific accident waiting to happen.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

meatpimp posted:

Full album here:

This is one of those cars that belongs here because look at it, but the quality of the work makes me want to defend it. That airbrush work is amazing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

VikingSkull posted:

This is one of those cars that belongs here because look at it, but the quality of the work makes me want to defend it. That airbrush work is amazing.

Without a doubt there's a legitimate AI component to it. The worksmanship is high, the hood and trunk are hydraulically actuated and from what you can see in the pictures, the hood hinges were done to a reasonably high level.

If it was all black, would the reaction be different? Probably so, there's no way to get around 30" wheels and Lambo x 4, but it's not hopeless.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Without a doubt there's a legitimate AI component to it. The worksmanship is high, the hood and trunk are hydraulically actuated and from what you can see in the pictures, the hood hinges were done to a reasonably high level.

If it was all black, would the reaction be different? Probably so, there's no way to get around 30" wheels and Lambo x 4, but it's not hopeless.

Yeah. With reasonably-sized wheels at the very least it would be significantly less awful, if still a bit ridiculous. The wheels are just so bad that it makes the rest of an interesting car with a silly paintjob just awful.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Let's just say that the license plate wasn't the only thing that caught my attention.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What else got your attention, your thumb or your index finger? I can't quite tell.

edit: I am an unobservant idiot

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 9, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Slim Pickens posted:

At first I was shocked to see a Holden in the US, then I saw it was LHD. Rebadged GTO?

That's an unusual reversal from the usual Holden rebadged as a Chev we see here.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

What else got your attention, your thumb or your index finger? I can't quite tell.

:ssh: Look next to the passenger taillight.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

:ssh: Look next to the passenger taillight.

:downs: you would think I of all people would have noticed that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

a little something from the parking lot at work:

(That's my ratty FC on the right)

Looks like a little fresh oil, there.

bonus dangling ABS sensor wire:

The rear bumper was cut as well. I *almost* crawled under the thing to see for myself how much they had screwed the suspension up jacking it that high.

The first time I noticed this car, the driver was attempting to start it to no effect. guess they fixed that. Pity.

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off

Tread? Pfft, who needs that :clint:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
He's too busy paying the mortgage on that truck to put good tires on it :laugh:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

EightBit posted:

I love seeing some of the dumbest people I've met own a King Ranch truck that probably cost them $70k. They're always clean too - they may tow a boat every now and again but god drat they've never even seen a dusty road.

It's pretty bad here in TX. Kids either have King Ranch's, farkled out F250's or they have Raptors. I feel like their parents would never buy them a $50-70k car but they don't mind shelling out that cash for a crazy expensive truck.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

EightBit posted:

If this is in Vancouver, he's also probably living in it.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

dissss posted:

There are a whole bunch on that dudes Livejournal posted above

In addition to the Airtrek and Yeti they've done fairly major repairs on
90s Vauxhall Vectra
Hyundai Getz x3
00s Nissan Primera
90s Corolla
90s Nissan Primeras x3

None of which would be worth repairing if you did any more than scratch the bumper in my part of the world

what's the reasoning behind doing these fixes? The labor is low cost, its still a TON of hours and parts. Is it because buying new/newish used is really expensive due to a 100% import tax or something? I just don't see how they make money.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Deceptor101 posted:

what's the reasoning behind doing these fixes? The labor is low cost, its still a TON of hours and parts. Is it because buying new/newish used is really expensive due to a 100% import tax or something? I just don't see how they make money.

I imagine that for people in some ex-soviet economic disaster zone, the idea of spending $500 on on the margin for a 'new' used vehicle when there's one that's been repaired for cheap on offer would be unthinkable.

As an Australian, I wouldn't buy or drive one of those rebuilds but on the flip side I see a lot of American 'beaters' and 'junkers' and wonder why it's uneconomic to fix them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Polarize posted:

Tread? Pfft, who needs that :clint:

Don't all the signs around say driveBC Shift Into Winter, get snow tires? :cripes:

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Rusty anvil welded to an equally rusty tow hitch. The thing was wobbling back and forth the whole way. How long does he have until it twists off and hits a Festiva on the highway?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
On an otherwise clean looking, blacked out RSX parked in front of one of the local gun stores/indoor shooting ranges:

Not sure if this qualifies:

But I'm sure this does:

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

those....WHEELS

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Sometimes having 19" 235/35 series tires scare me. I can't even imagine driving on a tire with literally less than an inch of sidewall.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

veedubfreak posted:

Sometimes having 19" 235/35 series tires scare me. I can't even imagine driving on a tire with literally less than an inch of sidewall.

That's like 1.3 inches of sidewall, though, isn't it?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Safety Dance posted:

That's like 1.3 inches of sidewall, though, isn't it?

It's close to 2 inches. I run at 40 psi because the DWS has a really soft sidewall and rolls too much in turns.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

YF19pilot posted:

But I'm sure this does:

That's an FJ Cruiser? I'm stunned.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

RuPaul Levesque posted:

those....WHEELS
It's like staring into Ry'leh or something, jesus christ those lines hurt my brain

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RuPaul Levesque posted:

those....WHEELS

It looks like a cumshot

Realjones
May 16, 2004

meatpimp posted:

It's a seized car from a drug dealer...it can be yours for 50K!

http://www.skipcoautoauction.com/Marshall-Auction/US-Marshal-Units.aspx

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A deer hit me on the way to work today.

No, really....she hit me. About a 120 lb. doe. I only saw her out of my peripheral vision, and was doing something under 30 MPH, just coming out of a school zone (15 MPH) in a small town. I found a scuff on the back of my passenger side fender and one on the door. Then I looked back and saw this on the passenger side rear wheel:

I watched her get up and run the rest of the way across the road in my rear view.

I'm kinda disappointed, because that's a free doe tag if you take them down with your car. I had a couple of coolers and my slop clothes with me and everything (it's hunting season, and that's my poo poo truck for that kind of thing).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Be glad it wasn't worse. A family friend got t-boned on the highway by a deer once and the bastard jammed one of the passenger doors up against the frame, broke the glass and took off the side mirror. Blood everywhere, too, even on the interior carpet and passenger seat.

The truck wasn't moving fast either; the deer started to walk off the road after the truck stopped, then did a 180 and broke into a full speed sprint while looking where the headlights were pointing and not at the truck itself.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 10, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Be glad it wasn't worse.

I live in deer country and we're in the rut, so I'm with you on this. But as a partial comedy option/somewhat serious......this is a $500 truck. If I could take down a few deer with it and get "free" doe tags for doing so it could pay for itself pretty quickly. If you hit it with a kill shot you can harvest it. Just need to call the game warden within 24 hours to report and get your tag.

I'm not that picky about filling my freezer. I'll still sit in a tree stand....I just get to take more naps.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Motronic posted:

Goodyear Tracker 2, the bane of my existence. I hate that loving tire, so many cheaper tires with a better reputation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Toucan Sam posted:

Goodyear Tracker 2, the bane of my existence. I hate that loving tire, so many cheaper tires with a better reputation.

LOL....good pick. That's what was on this $500 shitbox when I bought it. I looked them up....WalMart only poo poo. I wish they were worn out enough to justify replacing, but since they came on a Land Rover they had understandably low miles.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

I live in deer country and we're in the rut, so I'm with you on this. But as a partial comedy option/somewhat serious......this is a $500 truck. If I could take down a few deer with it and get "free" doe tags for doing so it could pay for itself pretty quickly. If you hit it with a kill shot you can harvest it. Just need to call the game warden within 24 hours to report and get your tag.

:clint:: So what did you do on the weekend?
:haw::Not much, took the Land Rover out, did some deer hunting.
:clint:: Nice, what do you shoot?
:haw::Shoot?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Motronic posted:

No, really....she hit me.

Several years ago I saw a deer running along the side of the road. I stopped, fully expecting it to run out in front of me.

Once I was stopped.. *BAM* :wtc: The drat thing ran head first into my left fender while I was stopped. Fell down, got back up.. *BAM BAM*... fell down again, got back up again, hit it again, rinse repeat a couple of times before it finally ran off.

I laughed my rear end off until I got home and couldn't open my door. Caved the fender in around the door hinges :saddowns:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Kangaroos are the absolute worst for jumping in front of your car in the middle of the night. I've only ever hit one, and I was in an old troop carrier 'Cruiser - big bullbar, very high bonnet (hood) so they tend to go under instead of over. I swear I was just driving along at around 30kph on this dirt track and it bounded along beside me for a while before just jumping to its doom in front of me.

Apparently, before all the Australian megafauna was killed in the name of good eating, the main predator of kangaroos would run parallel with them and then take them from the side, so kangaroos that were capable of jumping in front of their predators were the ones that survived. That doesn't work so well with a couple of tons of steel bearing down on them.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
jagityerdeer?

I'm honestly surprised we don't see more reinforced and spiked front bumpers in deer country.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

some texas redneck posted:

Several years ago I saw a deer running along the side of the road. I stopped, fully expecting it to run out in front of me.

Once I was stopped.. *BAM* :wtc: The drat thing ran head first into my left fender while I was stopped. Fell down, got back up.. *BAM BAM*... fell down again, got back up again, hit it again, rinse repeat a couple of times before it finally ran off.

I laughed my rear end off until I got home and couldn't open my door. Caved the fender in around the door hinges :saddowns:

This makes me think of those videos floating around of down-on-their-luck pedestrians trying to commit insurance fraud by jumping in front of slowly moving cars, and just rolling off of the hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

grover posted:

jagityerdeer?

I'm honestly surprised we don't see more reinforced and spiked front bumpers in deer country.

I'm not surprised this happened in Texas. What surprises me is I haven't seen this in Oklahoma.