Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nuclearmonkee posted:

First dude is enough. He needs to the cookie contest and all of the other stupid homemaker first lady traditions too. :3:

What would we call that, anyway? First Sir? First Guy? First Lord? "First husband" or "first spouse" sounds so awkward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mirthless posted:

What would we call that, anyway? First Sir? First Guy? First Lord? "First husband" or "first spouse" sounds so awkward!

I believe that had Hillary won, Bill Clinton would have become "First Gentleman".

He would also have been required to grow a mustache and wear a monocle and top hat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

First dude is enough. He needs to the cookie contest and all of the other stupid homemaker first lady traditions too. :3:

Hopefully he saved all his stuff from 2008.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Sounds like Petraeus is out of the picture.

Boijoina
Oct 9, 2012
I want to see the Dems run a gay athiest woman of middle eastern descent.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Gatts posted:

Can we get Bill Clinton as Veep? I want him in office somehow.

Constitutionally ineligible due to term limits.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gatts posted:

Can he be the press secretary? He's charismatic as gently caress and will literally pimp slap reporters for asking loaded right wing talking point questions.

Plus, that job is like 90% dude that explains stuff.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Wow those Rice numbers are surprisingly high. I hope she at least takes a serious look at running.

Alas, no Huntsman :smith: , unless he is a large chunk of that "other" group

Rice will not run as either part of the ticket. She has said repeatedly that she has no intention of running for President and would not accept a VP nod if it were offered to her.

Plus she's pro-choice, so running her on the main stage would mean the Republicans would have to commit heavily to edging away from social conservatism over the next four years.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I think being really fat would be a big positive for any Republican candidate. It's hard to paint someone as an out of touch plutocrat a la Romney when they look like they've just waddled out of peopleofwalmart.com

Nov 7, 2012
I give terrible advice in E/N and post nothing worth anybody's time.

i might be a social cripple irl

Ammat The Ankh posted:

So can he not hold any positions in the chain or just VP?

raito
Sep 13, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

He can serve as the Vice-President if he so chooses to run and win. He could also serve as the President in the event that the President dies.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

raito posted:

He can serve as the Vice-President if he so chooses to run and win. He could also serve as the President in the event that the President dies.

You can be sure that there'd be a Supreme Court case about that pretty quickly though. Something about the "intent" of the 22nd Amendment not permitting a crazy end-run around it by "running for VP and having the President immediately resign".

raito
Sep 13, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You can be sure that there'd be a Supreme Court case about that pretty quickly though. Something about the "intent" of the 22nd Amendment not permitting a crazy end-run around it by "running for VP and having the President immediately resign".

Well, yeah, the Supreme Court would undoubtedly get involved and decide whether the 12th amendment refers to the 35 years of age/residence requirements/natural-born citizen qualifications or a much broader scope that would include the 22nd amendment.

None of this will probably ever happen in actuality, though.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

raito posted:

Clinton/Clinton 2016

No need to specify which ones, just throw in any 2/3 that you want

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

raito posted:

No he can't.

He could serve anywhere else in the chain he'd just be passed over in the event everyone ahead of him died like foreign born cabinet secretaries. To run or be appointed VP you need to be eligible to be president.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gatts posted:

Why? Cause he gives a good speech? Give me Biden over him any day.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
edit: nevermind, I misread.

raito
Sep 13, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

No he can't.

He could serve anywhere else in the chain he'd just be passed over in the event everyone ahead of him died like foreign born cabinet secretaries. To run or be appointed VP you need to be eligible to be president.

The 12th amendment deals with requirements for service (age/residency/natural-born citizen), while the 22nd amendment deals with requirements for election ("No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice".

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Is this really surprising?

Can -any- American politician do anything less than fellatiate Israel as much as possible?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

raito posted:

The 12th amendment deals with requirements for service (age/residency/natural-born citizen), while the 22nd amendment deals with requirements for election ("No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice".

Bill Clinton, George Bush or Barrack Obama aren't going to be on any ticket again ever.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Typo posted:

Is this really surprising?

Can -any- American politician do anything less than fellatiate Israel as much as possible?

Of course not. But it does suggest that she's not going to be any more progressive on the middle east than her peers.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
If only we could give Mario Cuomo Andrew's ambition and youth.

im a ski bum
Feb 17, 2011
I'd like to put forth the idea that Ohio Gov. John Kasich could be a potential nominee. He's got the resume as a former US representative for nearly two decades and now the govenor of an important swing state. He has strong ties to Fox news and national identity among conservatives due to his former talk show. His popularity has rebounded since his anti-union debacle two years ago. He is media savy and has a fairly young and photogenic family. I heard him speak of the death of his parents in an auto accident and his faith in a radio interview and was suprised how compelling and heartfelt the story was.

Importantly of late, he seems very distant from the social issues some pundits are now saying hurt the Republican brand on Tuesday. Any thoughts?

raito
Sep 13, 2012

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Bill Clinton, George Bush or Barrack Obama aren't going to be on any ticket again ever.

I'm well aware - I've even stated as much in this thread. I'm simply saying that it is constitutionally legal, contrary to what others believe.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

im a ski bum posted:

I'd like to put forth the idea that Ohio Gov. John Kasich could be a potential nominee. He's got the resume as a former US representative for nearly two decades and now the govenor of an important swing state. He has strong ties to Fox news and national identity among conservatives due to his former talk show. His popularity has rebounded since his anti-union debacle two years ago. He is media savy and has a fairly young and photogenic family. I heard him speak of the death of his parents in an auto accident and his faith in a radio interview and was suprised how compelling and heartfelt the story was.

Importantly of late, he seems very distant from the social issues some pundits are now saying hurt the Republican brand on Tuesday. Any thoughts?

Kasich is the reason Obama won Ohio--pretty sure he'd play well among conservatives and nowhere else.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

raito posted:

Not sure what you're getting at but the 12th amendment is pretty clear:

"No person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

Eligible is for this purpose synonymous with electable, they come from the same latin root. We could try this in the Supreme Court but Clinton would lose.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

im a ski bum posted:

Kasich is complete poison here. A common thread amongst the loonies is that Kasich's endorsement of Mandel cost Mandel the election. He rode in on the tea party wave along with Husted and DeWine, and he's going to get ride it right back out.

im a ski bum
Feb 17, 2011

astrollinthepork posted:

Kasich is complete poison here. A common thread amongst the loonies is that Kasich's endorsement of Mandel cost Mandel the election. He rode in on the tea party wave along with Husted and DeWine, and he's going to get ride it right back out.

I'm in Ohio, too, and feel the tarnish is largely gone. I'm no fan of Kasich and haven't voted for a republican since 1996, but I really think he'll cruise to reelection in 2014. If Strickland (who rode in on the democratic wave of 2006) challenges him, it may be a competitve race.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

As a resident of Indiana, if Mitch Daniels does run, every single nasty, dirty thing that Indiana media have successfully covered up would come out. Surprisingly, neither Republican opponents of his nor Democrats have really held this against him, and he's pretty much been able to whitewash his drug arrest.

For example, he has been open about his drug arrest. But it wasn't for simple posession. The preliminary charge was posession with intent to distribute. But because Daddy Daniels was a big time pharm exec, he got the charges greatly reduced. This wasn't just some kids smoking pot in a dorm room. This was part of a five month investigation that ended in a sting and Daniels' arrest. Politico's Ben Smith wrote about this about a year ago.

There's also rumors that Daniels was fairly liberal in his college days and participated in anti-Vietnam war protests.

And this whole wife-not-liking-poliitcs thing isn't just something Daniels is saying. She really doesn't like politics and it was notably visable in 2004 by how often she wasn't with Daniels during his first campaign.

I also don't think he'd run for Senate or anything like that. Daniels hates the legislative process and wants to be the guy in charge, not one of a hundred.

Does anyone think SuperPACs are gonna dry up by 2016? Despite the billions of dollars, they had an impact of nothing on this year's election.

Kaisach also seems to be getting his major accomplishments (union busting, early voting lessened) constantly on ballot referendums to reverse them. He seems to have been a very ineffective governor.

What about a Rick Scott run? Could he play the role of a Santorum in 2016?

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 9, 2012

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Ignoring his policies and performance as governor here in Florida, can you imagine how the nation would react just looking at him on TV constantly for MONTHS?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

im a ski bum posted:

I'm in Ohio, too, and feel the tarnish is largely gone. I'm no fan of Kasich and haven't voted for a republican since 1996, but I really think he'll cruise to reelection in 2014. If Strickland (who rode in on the democratic wave of 2006) challenges him, it may be a competitve race.

The tarnish is still there, he just seems to have squirreled himself away after SB5 got shot down. I don't think I've heard anything from him since then, and that was last year.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

It is too soon to worry about 2016, in my mind. More important is planning for the 2014 mid-term elections where GOTV will be even more important. Also planning for the removal of the Sky Captain of St. Cloud.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

All Of The Dicks posted:

It is too soon to worry about 2016, in my mind. More important is planning for the 2014 mid-term elections where GOTV will be even more important. Also planning for the removal of the Sky Captain of St. Cloud.

Spoiler: The Republicans will retain the House, if the Democrats couldn't manage to overcome the Republican gerrymandering advantage with a majority of the popular congressional vote and the President's coattails they've got no hope in 2014. I suppose the Democrats could lose the Senate, but probably not as long as the GOP is still nominating undelectable morons.

Democrats should concentrate on taking back state governments and reverse gerrymandering the states or they'll never win the House again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DynamicSloth posted:

Spoiler: The Republicans will retain the House, if the Democrats couldn't manage to overcome the Republican gerrymandering advantage with a majority of the popular congressional vote and the President's coattails they've got no hope in 2014. I suppose the Democrats could lose the Senate, but probably not as long as the GOP is still nominating undelectable morons.

Democrats should concentrate on taking back state governments and reverse gerrymandering the states or they'll never win the House again.

Is there anything out there about how gerrymandered state house districts are? I presume the answer is somewhere between "somewhat" and "a lot".

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there anything out there about how gerrymandered state house districts are? I presume the answer is somewhere between "somewhat" and "a lot".

I just thought of a random state that got Republican control in 2010, and here is Ohio's state House map for 2002-2012 vs 2013-2222. Maybe an Ohio goon can shed some light on how the maps are different.

im a ski bum
Feb 17, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

I just thought of a random state that got Republican control in 2010, and here is Ohio's state House map for 2002-2012 vs 2013-2222. Maybe an Ohio goon can shed some light on how the maps are different.

Those are for the state house, not US congressional districts

edit:Sorry, I can't read.

im a ski bum fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 10, 2012

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

notthegoatseguy posted:

The new map certainly doesn't look absurd the way a lot of the national congressional districts do--most of them hew reasonably well to county boundaries. I'm guessing this is slightly gerrymandered, but that the number of competitive districts is close to what you'd get if you divided the state "fairly" (however you actually define that).

Not that I know anything about ohio.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

They hosed the whole thing up. My phone won't let me open those maps, but from what I remember, one of the new Districts stretches from Toledo to just West of Cleveland along Lake Erie just to pack a bunch of Democrats into the same District.

They worked around the liberal southwest suburbs of Cleveland and the Oberlin area with some weird dragon shaped District that includes areas between Dayton and Toledo that are mostly farm land and highly conservative.

Most of the state's liberal population is packed into four or five districts. The one along the Erie shore, the Youngstown area, East Cleveland and a really hilarious hatchet job of Franklin County to ensure as many liberal neighborhoods as possible are in the same District.

It's really pathetic. Before, it was balanced enough for there to be some obvious Districts for each party and then quite a few competitive Districts. It's just a whitewash now.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
edit. Oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

notthegoatseguy posted:

I do not exaggerate when I say that there would be no faster way for the Republicans to ensure they lose Florida again than to have Rick Scott on the ticket.

• Locked thread