Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Reinstalling after a long layoff--can someone remind me how to switch skins without loving things up? I like Old World Brujah, so I used to switch the Brujah skin for the Tremere or Ventrue skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DemonNick posted:

So, I've got a bit of a problem. I'm trying to install the fan patch on a steam copy of the game. It installs fine, but the patch isn't actually applied when I load the game. Not even histories show up.

I've had this problem before, and I know there's a fix, but I can't really remember what it is. It's kind of important because I've got a paper on the game due tomorrow and I really want to include screenshots instead of block quotes.

Probably bit late now but did you run the installer as an administrator? IIRC the patch doesn't give any indication it failed and since steam is in program files UAC tends to gently caress with the installer.

OgNar posted:

I could swear that I had read that this worked on netbooks, but I haven't had any luck. It ran once through character creation but now just crashes on startup.
Is it a lost cause or should I keep trying?
Probably lost cause. Source is dicey with integrated graphics and given this games beta-engine state it probably just won't really work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The XP Harvesting Guide advises me to sell books, then buy back multiple copies...does that still work in the fanpatch? I don't have the clan quest or anything like that installed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

The XP Harvesting Guide advises me to sell books, then buy back multiple copies...does that still work in the fanpatch? I don't have the clan quest or anything like that installed.

If I remember correctly, it does work just fine.

Rock Epidemic
Mar 17, 2001

While it might be a bit redundant at this point, I wanted to give a heads up that Vampire is part of the Steam Halloween sale. I've actually been clinging to my retail copy for years now, but I figured it couldn't hurt to have a backup. Might have to gift a copy or two as well, deal with some slackers I know who still haven't played it.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

This game is only $4.99 on Steam for the next 35 hours, it's a really great deal!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
How can I tell if I successfully installed the Wesp5 patch?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

John Romero posted:

How can I tell if I successfully installed the Wesp5 patch?

You should be able to see things like character histories in the character creator those werent in the base game.

homebrand
Oct 1, 2011
Welp, I bought this forever ago and it runs fine but I can't get the Clan Quest Mod to show up. I'm on Windows 7 64bit and I made sure it's in Program Files x86 (that was my first mistake) and steam still plays the vanilla version of the game, as far as I can tell (nothing new on the title screen).

I'm also having that problem with textures stuck at lowest res. I know I read how to fix that in here somewhere.

:siren: EDIT: Followed a guide on PC Gaming Wiki and got it working. Turns out you install it in the first Vampire: the blah blah blah and not in the Vampire folder inside that (which the OP kind of implies)

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade_%E2%80%93_Bloodlines#Using_Unofficial_Patches_with_Steam_Version

homebrand fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 3, 2012

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012
Starting a no-doubt glitchy as hell Lasombra run. :syoon:

Picking through new clan mods while avoiding the overpowered/totally broken ones is probably more frustrating than playing the sewers with a trackpad and broken fingers.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012
Are there any custom skins for the female Nosferatu that aren't just Imalia in a different outfit? I really hate the S&M themed armor, but don't want to get rid of the rest of the skin with it. Google isn't giving me anything and neither are the sites listed in the OP.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Frost Uncle posted:

Picking through new clan mods while avoiding the overpowered/totally broken ones is probably more frustrating than playing the sewers with a trackpad and broken fingers.

:stonk:

...I don't use clan mods, how hard can it be?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I installed the CQ mod from the OP and the widescreen mod, but the game ain't letting me start it. It says something about less than 15MB memory. It was a fresh install before I did that.

The internet told me to put the main .exe in compatibility mode (Win XP SP 3) but now I get a different error saying "failed to find steam" and opening the steam homepage in a browser.

Using Steam, Windows 7 x64, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 460 GTX, Intel i5 760, Corsair 450w PSU, Samsung LN40A550 HDTV, Razer Lycosa Keyboard, Logitech G400 and type A+ blood.

Dec 30, 2008
Try leaving compatibility mode off, and just disabling visual themes and desktop composition.

Guest fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 3, 2012

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Setting steam to "run as administrator" should solve the problem.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Cantaloupe posted:

Setting steam to "run as administrator" should solve the problem.

Apparently not in my case, not sure what's going on.

Guest posted:

Try leaving compatibility mode off, and just disabling visual themes and desktop composition.

I turned off compatibility mode, disabled visual themes (well I couldn't find that so I disabled visual styles instead) and desktop composition. Steam is still in Administrator mode from above. I still get the "memory below 15MB!!!" instacrash.

Ed: Annoying thing is I played the tutorial a couple of hours ago just fine. But for that I installed the unofficial patch and just that. I uninstalled the game to start over after I found this thread and the CQ mod. I've only installed the game (fresh) and the CQ mod (recommended install).

Ed2: Deleted clientregistry.blob but no difference. Gonna have to reinstall unless anyone has a better idea.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 3, 2012

Dec 30, 2008
https://iain.cx/articles/bloodlines/index.html?part4 try this

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012

Viperix posted:

:stonk:

...I don't use clan mods, how hard can it be?

Shroud of Night requires Auspex (wait wha?) to point out enemies, there goes most of your blood pool for a one room fight. Try playing the warehouse with most of the screen covered in black poo poo and a smooth FPS of 9.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Thanks for this. Had to apply it before the widescreen patch (or I'd get a CRC error) but it works now.

EDIT: Ugh, I'm such an idiot, I think I've been mis-installing the Clan Quest mod to program files/steam/steamapps the whole time. My steam folder is in C:/Games. So the unofficial patch never installed (and it fixes the 15MB thing).

Sorry for being a blithering idiot and a waste of flesh guys. :shobon:

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 3, 2012

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

So I am trying to download the wesp patch, but all of the links on the website are telling me there are no download servers available. Is there another place where I can download it?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I've been playing the game a bit and it's pretty awesome. That Ocean hotel properly hosed with me, it was just so atmospheric.

When I was sneaking about I'd occasionally use Auspex because I was certain the game was going to do a jump scare on me. So I was following the quest to the boiler room when my Auspex picked up the aura of something lying in wait for me that looked like Freddy Kruger. Since it was a boiler room I didn't think it was a coincidence, but figured he was the jump scare when I walked around the corner. The thing is, I walked around the corner and there was nothing there.

You're probably thinking "big deal, you thought you'd be jump scared but you weren't", but the fact that the game kept building the tension through that level was impressive. In most games there'd be ghosts flying at your face or something, but I admired the subtlety. By the end of the level I was just running for the door almost in tears 'cause gently caress that place.

Anyway, I'm pretty hooked on the game now. I can't remember the last time an RPG gave me this much choice in doing quests.

A quick example: I freed Lily in the Medical Centre and Vandal wanted a replacement, and I couldn't persuade him to forget about it, so I had to find a replacement. All my characters in RPG's are goody two shoes, and I believed the game was going to railroad me into getting an innocent to go 'cause that's generally what games do when they want you to "choose". Blood sales or innocent death? gently caress it I don't need to buy blood. So I moved on to a different quest. Some creepy prosthetic guy wanted me to model for him.

In the conversation I could persuade him to go to Vandal. The guy seemed really creepy and two guys were missing in connection to him so I went for it. Turns out I killed two birds with one stone, 'cause Vandal was happy and I didn't have to fight the crazy serial murderer.

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

Whoa, I didn't know you could do that. Makes perfect sense though. When I did that quest I convinced some rural girl at the Asylum to go down there, promising her a cool party :devil:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Huh I didnt know you could do that either (I always managed to persuade him). Good call on your part.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Xachariah posted:

A quick example: I freed Lily in the Medical Centre and Vandal wanted a replacement, and I couldn't persuade him to forget about it, so I had to find a replacement. All my characters in RPG's are goody two shoes, and I believed the game was going to railroad me into getting an innocent to go 'cause that's generally what games do when they want you to "choose". Blood sales or innocent death? gently caress it I don't need to buy blood. So I moved on to a different quest. Some creepy prosthetic guy wanted me to model for him.

In the conversation I could persuade him to go to Vandal. The guy seemed really creepy and two guys were missing in connection to him so I went for it. Turns out I killed two birds with one stone, 'cause Vandal was happy and I didn't have to fight the crazy serial murderer.

Holy poo poo; I've played through a dozen times and never happened upon that. Great job.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xachariah posted:

Anyway, I'm pretty hooked on the game now. I can't remember the last time an RPG gave me this much choice in doing quests.

Wow, that's cool. Not even the guides I read had that solution. Personally, I just Dementated the guy, because it's hilarious. He thought so, too.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Xachariah posted:

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was cut content, so you needed Wesp5's patch. But I suppose everyone uses that anyway, don't they?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Project1 posted:

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was cut content, so you needed Wesp5's patch. But I suppose everyone uses that anyway, don't they?

This sounds right, yeah. I seem to recall that you can send the investigative news guy to vandal, too... maybe someone else, as well. I could swear Wesp roped in a bunch of options for that quest.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fuzz posted:

This sounds right, yeah. I seem to recall that you can send the investigative news guy to vandal, too... maybe someone else, as well. I could swear Wesp roped in a bunch of options for that quest.

The best one is Patty. Protect the masquerade AND be able to purchase blood! :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Boogle posted:

The best one is Patty. Protect the masquerade AND be able to purchase blood! :v:

THAT'S the one I'm thinking of. I pretty much always go that route, because seriously, gently caress that chick.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a mirror for the latest version of the Unofficial Patch (8.4.1) that isn't Game Front? Because I guess that site hates me and won't let me download it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does the "True Patch" do widscreen fixes and the like?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there a mirror for the latest version of the Unofficial Patch (8.4.1) that isn't Game Front? Because I guess that site hates me and won't let me download it.

Try here: http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php

There seems to be an even newer patch available.

E: Sorry, didn't read properly.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Alright, so I've installed Bloodlines and applied the latest version of Wesp's patch but now I don't have most of the sound, as in like 90% of the game is just silent. No speech, no ambient music, UI sounds still work though, and I can still hear the swoosh sound when I swing my fists.

Anybody know how I can fix this?

niff
Jul 4, 2010
I'm curious as to whether this is going to run on my laptop. I can run TF2 smooth without any .ini changes on low-medium settings, but from memory this game is a gigantic unoptimised memory/vram hog on beta Source engine despite also being one of the best games ever. I no longer have all the CDs the game came on (ha) but before I drop the $20 on Steam I'm wondering if it will be playable. All specifications match except for the integrated graphics, which has like 2gb of VRAM - I'll check specifics once I get home from work.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

niff posted:

I'm curious as to whether this is going to run on my laptop. I can run TF2 smooth without any .ini changes on low-medium settings, but from memory this game is a gigantic unoptimised memory/vram hog on beta Source engine despite also being one of the best games ever. I no longer have all the CDs the game came on (ha) but before I drop the $20 on Steam I'm wondering if it will be playable. All specifications match except for the integrated graphics, which has like 2gb of VRAM - I'll check specifics once I get home from work.

I'd wait until next weekend or the Steam Xmas sale... the game always drops to $5.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

niff posted:

Ive never ever had any problems with this on my laptop and its not the most powerful of things so id go for it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzz posted:

I'd wait until next weekend or the Steam Xmas sale... the game always drops to $5.

Wasn't there a time where it never went on sale?

*shivers*

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

LordPants posted:

*shivers*

It was one of the more recent ones I think... Was going to go digital so I didn't have to card out my cds any more and it stayed full price.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

LordPants posted:

*shivers*

It seriously goes on sale like every time there's a Steam sale for the last year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I do remember maybe a 1-2 year period where it was just never on sale, but the dark times have passed. For now.

• Locked thread