Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

griffia
Dec 20, 2006
It can't be helped
Decided to share a pic of my last completed model, a tamiya bt42, still not amazing but I'm getting better compared to my earlier models. Did a enamel wash for some rust effects, and some pigment work, next time I will use oils to get some tone into the color because it looks slightly flat and boring, even with a pre and post shade, next model I might also go for some color modulation too. even if its basic, and simple.

(word of caution, vallejo pigments are really good, but check your container because every now and then you will get a bottle with metallic flakes in it, which look weird once on the model. didn't catch it to after the pigment work was done, I could fix it and try to reweather it, but the chance of breaking something is too great.)

griffia fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've seen pigments for sale around here. Do you use them like a wash?

griffia
Dec 20, 2006
It can't be helped

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've seen pigments for sale around here. Do you use them like a wash?

You can, either with water or a thinners, but when it drys it becomes more of a sandy dirty look, and can be removed, while a wash is more to darken panel lines and doesn't really change texture, one thing I did do was use them dry and rubbed in a rust colour in some areas to give the effect of rust and dirt changing the hue of the paint underneath, but next time I will go with the various colored oils dotted and then rubbed with thinners to create a more natural tonal variation. some people mix pigments with gloss or matt varnish to create a pretty awesome wet or dry mud effect around tracks and underneath the body, I don't like the wet mud look so i never bothered, and pigment and water do enough to create a convincing dirty undercarriage.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Life lesson time: If anyone offers you a kit of the Millennium Falcon, DON'T TAKE IT.

Holy poo poo, the painting that goes into it.....:negative:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Yesterday I went to a web site of a local hobby shop, and, well, see for yourself:

Kind of sad. That said, the dude possibly should have said a bit more, and maybe not used giant red font to say it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oh yeah, I heard my local guy talking about it with another customer. Apparently creditors took all his stock.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oh yeah, I heard my local guy talking about it with another customer. Apparently creditors took all his stock.

Wow, nasty. "Unforeseen circumstances" indeed. He was an enormous distance away from my neck of the woods, so I only visited the place a few times. He had a mighty stock of paint; I think he stocked everything except Mr. Color. But a lot of the stuff he carried was overpriced. I remember seeing a old Fiero kit on the shelf for $55. I'm also not sure how he ran the e-business side; the site says everything ships in 4-6 days, and he told me specifically that stuff on the site was not necessarily in stock at the store. I don't know if he was just ordering the stuff in and re-shipping it, or he had a warehouse somewhere else...

#GTAnerdchat

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Where was that? The closest I got to the GTA for hobby shops were Modeller's Choice in Hamilton (which I LOVED) and Dundas Valley Hobbies, which was a 10 min. bike ride from McMaster.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Modeller's Choice is pretty awesome, they have a lot of cool stuff (that I can't afford :()

How many shops are there in Toronto? There's Aura that has hardly anything I'm into and then there's Hobby Home (I think, the one on Yonge and Steeles). Google told me there was one in Chinatown, but I could never find it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Where was that? The closest I got to the GTA for hobby shops were Modeller's Choice in Hamilton (which I LOVED) and Dundas Valley Hobbies, which was a 10 min. bike ride from McMaster.

NorthStar was on Dundas, on the border with Toronto. Is there a awesome modeller shop in the GTA? I think just about everybody has gotten out of kits, though at least paint is easy to find. I mean, Square One has a Games workshop there, and they sell some paint.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
These models and dioramas are absolutely insane. Amazing galleries of works that are awesome.

Dioramas:
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/blog/modelling_news_euro_militaire/

Vehicles:
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/blog/military_vehicles_euro_militaire

Random samples:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Modeller's Choice is pretty awesome, they have a lot of cool stuff (that I can't afford :()

How many shops are there in Toronto? There's Aura that has hardly anything I'm into and then there's Hobby Home (I think, the one on Yonge and Steeles). Google told me there was one in Chinatown, but I could never find it.

I found this place was pretty good. Lots of stock and a good preowned selection.

http://www.hornethobbies.com/

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

There's a lot of good model train primary shops in the GTA. George's Trains is alright, and so is Credit Valley, off the top of my head.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

I worked at Modeller`s choice in college, and still drop in on the guys every now and again to browse and pick up some various tools or supplies.

They have moved to 865 Upper James and ship out wherever you need to get some goods delivered.

It`s really a shame that the whole plastic side of the industry has all but vaporized over the last 10 or so years. Every time I go in there seems to no new releases in either large scale aircraft or 1:24 race cars.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

1:24th race cars have poo poo the bed, thanks to price gouging from NASCAR and the diecast industry.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Boomer The Cannon posted:

1:24th race cars have poo poo the bed, thanks to price gouging from NASCAR and the diecast industry.

I know, it's just a little disturbing when you go to Tamiya's website and you notice that in the last 50 releases (kit 24275 to 24327) there are only 6 new molds.

Toyota GT-86
Lexus LFA
McMerc
Aston DBS
Nissan 370Z
Porsche Carrera GT

The GT was released in 2002. That's 1 per every 20 months, with the rest being re-pops. Now I know the economics of the plastics industry in a massive downturn and that tooling and dies are more expensive than ever to produce, I just find it thoroughly depressing that there are so few interesting kits. I mean Tamiya don't even have any Ferrari made since the Enzo (FXX)in their line-up.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I got a Trumpeter PT-76 to finally pair up with my Zvezda modern tank crew that I've had lying around tankless for ages.

I tried out a fresh snow effect for the first time, and I think it worked pretty well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

GTi_guy posted:

I know, it's just a little disturbing when you go to Tamiya's website and you notice that in the last 50 releases (kit 24275 to 24327) there are only 6 new molds.

Toyota GT-86
Lexus LFA
McMerc
Aston DBS
Nissan 370Z
Porsche Carrera GT

So...in 2000 there were lots of high quality racecar kits?

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Nebakenezzer posted:

So...in 2000 there were lots of high quality racecar kits?

Maybe it's confirmation bias and "Things were better in the ol' days" but it seemed like there were more good releases, every few months or so.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
I ordered this:

I have no idea what I'm doing. I think I'll get a couple of 1/72 kits to practice on basic techniques of every aspect of scale modeling. Any good comprehensive guides on basic techniques?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you're going for the total newbie guide then oddly enough the Games Workshop website isn't the worst place to start. You won't learn anything super-fancy there, but it'll get you started.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Similarly, the flames of war web site is a surprisingly good place for basic techniques.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

If you're going for the total newbie guide then oddly enough the Games Workshop website isn't the worst place to start. You won't learn anything super-fancy there, but it'll get you started.

I can definitely agree with this. My models started getting much, much better after I got into warhammer 40k, likely because I really learned how to paint, in addition to the basics like removing mold lines and filling gaps, etc.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Never would have thought it. Thanks, I'll look into it.

I've ordered some supplies: Tamiya fine light gray primer, acrylic black, white, medium grey, khaki and thin cement, and dust/sand weathering powder set. I might get some more paints for effects but I'm not sure just what yet. I'll need something for the anti-slip surface.

I'm watching a couple of auctions for some 1-72 armor. If it falls through I'll just get the Revell/Academy/Ace/Trumpeter Merkava III (which I dislike because it's inaccurate/obsolete).

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I'd also reccomend getting a tube of Tamiya or Squadron putty or a pot Mr.Surfacer (not sure on the number) sometimes it's a bit of a bitch to work with, but it's drat handy stuff.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

No Pun Intended posted:

I'd also reccomend getting a tube of Tamiya or Squadron putty or a pot Mr.Surfacer (not sure on the number) sometimes it's a bit of a bitch to work with, but it's drat handy stuff.

I've got Green Stuff, Brown Stuff and Milliput Super Fine. Can one of them do the trick?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

I think the milliput would work well enough. You might be able to mix it with a solvent to make a more liquid filler too. Experiment!

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

No Pun Intended posted:

I think the milliput would work well enough. You might be able to mix it with a solvent to make a more liquid filler too. Experiment!

It's water soluble and can be made into a paste and dries really hard so it can be machined so I think it will be ideal for filling gaps (but it's not that sticky).

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Yep that's perfect.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Just as a general FYI - I don't know how many of you guys do car models, but https://www.modelexpress.net is going out of business before the end of the year and he's slowly discounting his inventory to move it out. He's got a pretty good selection, but things are going fast. I suggest checking it out if you're looking to stock up.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I won an auction for a 1/72 M60 Blazer from ESCI/ERTL. 15$ or so with the shipment, opened but unused. I think it's not so bad and I've read some nice reviews (after the fact). I'll "practice" on it before doing the Meng.

Any thoughts on supplies that I haven't thought of?

I think I might want some sort of metallic paint for weathering in spots where the metal is exposed. A different paint color for the tracks? How about a dark/deep blue for mixing with the black for shadows and some yellow for adding to the highlights?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Pro Tip:

If someone asks you to build a model of the Millennium Falcon, don't do it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Hellbeard posted:

I ordered this:

I have no idea what I'm doing. I think I'll get a couple of 1/72 kits to practice on basic techniques of every aspect of scale modeling. Any good comprehensive guides on basic techniques?

Not sure if it's the same kit, but I have a half-assembled Merkava in a box somewhere because the one I got had metal parts for the ball and chain curtain which drove me insane when I tried to get the drat bits to actually stick on the model correctly.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Not sure if it's the same kit, but I have a half-assembled Merkava in a box somewhere because the one I got had metal parts for the ball and chain curtain which drove me insane when I tried to get the drat bits to actually stick on the model correctly.

One of the selling points on the kit is that the ball and chain curtain AKA Shulamit's hair are very convenient to do. It wasn't much the reason I chose this but reading what you're writing I'm glad this is how it is.

Maybe you can get a kit that has an easier solution?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Thread needs more tanks posts.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Wow, so nice. The scene where the tank riders disembark is really good. More tanks now!

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

What scale?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
1:35th. The T-34-85 is a Zvezda that I bought ages ago. It's missing a bunch of small parts, like the handles for the infantry to hang onto. It's also missing 25% of the track pieces, which is why I had to put it in a swamp. The infantry is a mix of Zvezda, Tamiya, and Dragon.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Oh man, I forgot about this thread.

http://imgur.com/a/bq7nK#7

The first is a Skyline R34 I completed about a month ago. Tamiya Mica Blue, with Testors Wet Look Clear over top, polished with Scratch X. The Carrera GT is currently close to completion. Tamiya Chrome Yellow with the same treatment as the Skyline. Both kits are Tamiya and both are great, as usual for the brand.

Sorry for the album view, imgur is being lovely for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Can I play? I just finished something new - been having a hard time taking a good picture of it. 1/72 King Tiger. I made the Zimmerit myself, with Tamiya epoxy putty and a tiny screwdriver.

Only registered members can see post attachments!