Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Like, 6-12 months if you are good at it and can get someone to say so on your behalf. But I worked at a very very QA friendly studio so I might be full of poo poo.
In 2005, the path to lead at SCEA was 3-5 years and you'd get your own closed-door office, but you might end up comanaging a team with another lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Adraeus posted:

In 2005, the path to lead at SCEA was 3-5 years and you'd get your own closed-door office, but you might end up comanaging a team with another lead.

That seems pretty swanky (where's my office :( )

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 8, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
There are two things I thank the maker for every day.

1) I will never have to do homework ever again.
2) I will never have to work in QA ever again.

Good luck with your boner test!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

1) I will never have to do homework ever again.

I'd take homework, labs and exams back any time if it meant I could have the 3-4 months of vacation time from school. :unsmith:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I do more homework in the form of portfolio right now than I ever did homework but then again I never did my homework.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

At least with homework you have a deadline that forces your lazy rear end to finish it, my files are a graveyard of unfinished ideas.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Welp I probably messed up. Only managed to write three bug reports in the time allotted, when the "perfect number" was four. I remember them stressing that three isn't enough to get a good writing sample and five was too much. I guess I was too slow or nervous or something. Didn't help that I actually got lost for a minute or two, eating away at my time. Then on the way out I realized I probably recommended the wrong solution to one of my bug reports. (although they also stressed they were looking for writing/communication/format abilities above anything else) First opportunity that presented itself since I started searching in March and welp. :suicide:

Oh well, I felt pretty nervous too for some reason, I'm sure I'll do better if another opportunity comes up. Still waiting for the phone call with the results next week though. At least I can hear if I followed their format correctly.

Does anyone here work at Square-Enix in Los Angeles by chance?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Revitalized posted:

I remember them stressing that three isn't enough to get a good writing sample and five was too much.
Sounds like BS to me. The sweet spot is exactly four bug reports? Really?

Revitalized posted:

Didn't help that I actually got lost for a minute or two, eating away at my time.
Did you get lost in the game? If so, then that would have been something to write up.

Revitalized posted:

Oh well, I felt pretty nervous too for some reason, I'm sure I'll do better if another opportunity comes up.
You should always be nervous. If you're not nervous, you're doing something wrong.

Revitalized posted:

Although they also stressed they were looking for writing/communication/format abilities above anything else.
For some reason, the video-game industry attracts so many people who are awful communicators, so if you can write well, you should bring a sample to your next interview to demonstrate your ability.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Adraeus posted:

For some reason, the video-game industry attracts so many people who are awful communicators, so if you can write well, you should bring a sample to your next interview to demonstrate your ability.

And remember that "writing well" in this industry basically boils down to "can you use a comma properly?".

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Adraeus posted:

Sounds like BS to me. The sweet spot is exactly four bug reports? Really?

Well they were saying four bug reports in a time span of like 40 minutes. Three and they can't get a good picture of your writing sample, and five means you probably sped through and missed things.

Adraeus posted:

Did you get lost in the game? If so, then that would have been something to write up.

Yeah but it's kind of embarrassing because it was just a giant room and the entrance was sort of hidden, and then thinking back to it, that's sort of where you entered from, there's just no indicator to go back in that direction. I felt sort of dumb once I figured out how to get out of the room. That being said, I suppose it was noteworthy in hindsight, but not exactly a bug. Maybe a poor design choice, but at the time I was just thinking "find something that's coded/written wrong!"

Adraeus posted:

You should always be nervous. If you're not nervous, you're doing something wrong.

I'll hang on to hope until I hear from them next week, but I feel like those bug reports in particular were not terribly difficult to write for the most part. That and I crossed out a bunch of small words since it had to be written in pen and I was rephrasing my sentences to fit the format as I wrote for time.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Revitalized posted:

Yeah but it's kind of embarrassing because it was just a giant room and the entrance was sort of hidden, and then thinking back to it, that's sort of where you entered from, there's just no indicator to go back in that direction. I felt sort of dumb once I figured out how to get out of the room. That being said, I suppose it was noteworthy in hindsight, but not exactly a bug. Maybe a poor design choice, but at the time I was just thinking "find something that's coded/written wrong!"

As QA, all your experiences are relevant until dismissed by a developer with a snarky note saying "works as designed".

Revitalized posted:

I'll hang on to hope until I hear from them next week, but I feel like those bug reports in particular were not terribly difficult to write for the most part. That and I crossed out a bunch of small words since it had to be written in pen and I was rephrasing my sentences to fit the format as I wrote for time.

Bug reports are not essays, you spend just as much time on it as you need to spell out what you experienced, where you experienced it, and steps to reproduce.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

As QA, all your experiences are relevant until dismissed by a developer with a snarky note saying "works as designed".

I'll keep that in mind. It's just that in this test they said "we want exactly four" and I kept thinking along the lines of "bugs"

I mean looking back and also hearing you guys say that, I realize I totally could have just filled up a fourth report like that, and it would automatically demonstrate my writing skill at the very least. Then I would have four reports on time fulfilling the main purpose of the test.

Lesson learned I suppose. Thanks guys.

e:

Bug reports are not essays, you spend just as much time on it as you need to spell out what you experienced, where you experienced it, and steps to reproduce.

Oh yeah, I was not filling for space, I was just making sure that I was following the provided format correctly and using correct grammar, as that was one of the main points they stressed during the presentation before the test.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 9, 2012

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

And remember that "writing well" in this industry basically boils down to "can you use a comma properly?".
Unfortunately, the bar really is that low.

Revitalized posted:

I felt sort of dumb once I figured out how to get out of the room. That being said, I suppose it was noteworthy in hindsight, but not exactly a bug. Maybe a poor design choice, but at the time I was just thinking "find something that's coded/written wrong!"
Testers don't just find and report bugs; they find and report any variety of issues, including design problems that make the player feel stupid. We didn't even use the word "bug" at Sony to encourage testers to think more critically and broadly about their responsibilities. SCEA was oriented toward "defects" whereas SOE was oriented toward the broader "issues."

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Adraeus posted:

Unfortunately, the bar really is that low.

Testers don't just find and report bugs; they find and report any variety of issues, including design problems that make the player feel stupid.

Elaborating on this, getting lost in a level would probably be filed as a Severity 4/suggestion bug (unless there's something explicitly missing, like an objective waypoint). I don't generally recommend inserting your own ideas into suggestions but if you can describe how the gameplay sucks in some tangible manner then someone will want to know that information.

Unfortunately, that doesn't really help Revitalized I don't think. At any rate, hopefully you hear back or do well on the next one.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 9, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just sent in my resume/cv, cover letter, and demo reel to Gameloft this morning, and now the company doesn't seem to have the job I'm applying for posted anymore. They did yesterday.

I'm too late :negative:

Anyone in Montreal looking for a sound designer?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just sent in my resume/cv, cover letter, and demo reel to Gameloft this morning, and now the company doesn't seem to have the job I'm applying for posted anymore. They did yesterday.

I'm too late :negative:

Anyone in Montreal looking for a sound designer?

The posting itself might have just expired - they might still be interviewing for it. You could probably call them up and ask to be sure.

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

The frozen creature began emitting an eerie light...
So, I was thinking about getting into the games industry as a translator/localizer. Not Japanese, though, cause I know all those people are already hired and are working in Japan. I got my bachelor's in French, and prefer to use French Canadian as opposed to European French. Most of my teachers were from there, anyway.

I had my resume redone (fantastically by this dude) so my language-speaking skills look legit. I'm not a native speaker, but I am confident in my skill. The only problem is that I don't have specific translation experience. I play most of my games in French to keep up my practice, and I keep a mental note of when I would personally translate things differently, but that's hardly 'professional' experience.

I live in Seattle, so I feel like it would be easy to find a bunch of jobs, but so far I've only found two. One for Nintendo, who never called me back, and one for a staffing agency who did call me back but then never returned my messages. :(

If I really want to do this as a career - help translate and localize video games into French - what other steps can I take? There's a translator certificate at Bellevue College here; should I spend more money and go to school to get a piece of paper that says I can work from one language to another?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The posting itself might have just expired - they might still be interviewing for it. You could probably call them up and ask to be sure.

I sincerely hope this is the case, this is actually the second time the job's been posted in the last 2-3 months, I believe. It just sucks that I FINALLY got all of my stuff together, made what I've been told to be a very good demo reel, and... yeah. REALLY hope I'm at least being considered.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Revitalized posted:

So obviously I want to be very clear in my communication when documenting bugs I find, but are there any tips? Like if there's a certain way I should be tracking things down or a certain way to be writing things down?

Make sure you write down the *exact* steps to repro the issue, as well as how many times the issue was observed.

If there's a build ## or version on the build, include that.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Valigarmanda posted:

If I really want to do this as a career - help translate and localize video games into French - what other steps can I take? There's a translator certificate at Bellevue College here; should I spend more money and go to school to get a piece of paper that says I can work from one language to another?

Translation is almost always (> 95%) farmed out to translation agencies that specialize in it, and they're not game specific.

I would find out what the hiring requirements are for a traditional translation position are and go from there.

Also, I drive my Bellevue College every morning. So... hi.

pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane
So I applied for a scriptwriting internship at Ubisoft montreal last friday as soon as the offer was posted and I haven't heard anything yet.

Does anyone know how long the usual time for an answer is, for an internship? Also every time I see someone in a game writing position, english is always their native tongue.

Am I doomed if that's not the case for me? I still have some grammar issues I'm working on, but I'm pretty fluent in general.

Pizookie
Apr 29, 2009
Just chiming in as a former Square-Enix QA tester. I was on FFXIV for 9 months and knew exactly who Revitalized was applying for when he(she?) described the test.

Anyone calling BS on Square's requirements for the bug test doesn't realize what the LA office's primary objective is. You are not there to test for design, functionality, or usability. Square already has a small army of testers in Japan to catch those bugs. You are there to test the localization.

Here are examples of tasks I was given when I was there:

• Talk to every NPC in this specific area and check for dialogue errors and inconsistencies in speaking styles (e.g. Does this particular pirate NPC usually not pronounce his h's but in this one line he does? Bug it up!)
  • Play through this entire quest line and check for errors in dialogue, instruction text, and reward screens
  • Read the descriptions for all food items and check for grammatical errors
  • Play through the story quests and do a sanity check to ensure that the plot makes some semblance of sense (the localization team tries their best, they really do)

There's very little functionality testing that you'll be called to do. You'll still write some functionality bugs, but usually they're related to the English text somehow causing a cutscene to explode or a quest not completing because the instructions were wrong.

It is very important that you follow their bug submission format because any bug that does get sent to a developer has to go through a Japanese translator. When I was there, there were only 2 translators covering about 4-5 projects. Translating QA design suggestions would take time that a translator could be using on actual functionality bugs instead. The translators are amazing and really good at what they do, but there's only so much they can handle. If your lead sees you writing up more than 1 or 2 suggestions a month, they'll start telling you to knock it off.

To sum it up, if you become a tester at Square you need to be:

• Really loving good at English
  • Familiar with the style and era of English used in most FF or other Square games (Did you know "see" could also refer to a diocese? I sure didn't!)
  • Able to follow very rigid writing formats and style guides
  • Willing to read the same 1,000 lines of dialogue over, and over, and over again
  • Really, really loving good at English
  • Technical enough to understand debug commands and how to use them effectively to both check specific areas of the game and teleport your lead into an abyss
  • Able to know when to let things go (this is very important)

Overall, being a localization tester there is actually really fun because you're working in a different kind of group. I was working with people who had backgrounds in writing, theater, film, comics, etc. and the laid back atmosphere was great. You learned something new every day since a lot of people had encyclopedic knowledge of something related to the game - whether it was medieval English, fishing, sewing, etc. - that would help make the game text better.

Basically, I wouldn't fret too much. As long as you followed their format exactly you have a pretty good chance of at least getting an interview :)

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010

Valigarmanda posted:

Localization/Translation info

Sorry if this sounds a bit shill-ish, but this is probably helpful for those that want to get in localization and maybe get started in that direction. We crowdsource our translations to a team of volunteers, which are then moderated/approved by staffers, who also do some translation/localization on their own. I'm sure there's plenty to be learned by helping out here.

http://translation.steampowered.com/

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
2 weeks after being laid off, our new Delaware S-Corp is now official. The first feedback on our first "playtest": "Wow, this is the highest quality throwaway app I've ever seen."

I'll take it!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

devilmouse posted:

2 weeks after being laid off, our new Delaware S-Corp is now official. The first feedback on our first "playtest": "Wow, this is the highest quality throwaway app I've ever seen."

I'll take it!

Congrats! That sounds like a pretty good way to start off your 3 months of severance-funded startup :)

Valigarmanda posted:

I got my bachelor's in French, and prefer to use French Canadian as opposed to European French.

I had my resume redone (fantastically by this dude) so my language-speaking skills look legit. I'm not a native speaker, but I am confident in my skill. The only problem is that I don't have specific translation experience. I play most of my games in French to keep up my practice, and I keep a mental note of when I would personally translate things differently, but that's hardly 'professional' experience.

There's a translator certificate at Bellevue College here; should I spend more money and go to school to get a piece of paper that says I can work from one language to another?

I don't know poo poo about translation so take this with a grain of salt, but your french translation is typically going to be done for your EFIGs release (english/french/italian/german), so I would think European French is going to be more useful.

As others have said, translation is not something you do much of in-house, and so you're going to likely either work for a contracting firm or figure out how to build your own contracting business for it. Only the absolute biggest publishers are going to have enough going on at all times to be able to maintain specific staff.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

devilmouse posted:

I'll take it!

That was quick. I think I would have taken a few weeks off.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I sincerely hope this is the case, this is actually the second time the job's been posted in the last 2-3 months, I believe. It just sucks that I FINALLY got all of my stuff together, made what I've been told to be a very good demo reel, and... yeah. REALLY hope I'm at least being considered.

Gameloft being Gameloft, though, they'd probably just ask you to create a whole new sound design for a brand new game from scratch, give you 24 hours to do it, and not allow you to keep your work afterwards.

And I checked our openings, there's a bunch but nothing in sound, sorry. :(

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

devilmouse posted:

I'll take it!
Oh, I see how it is, your cool local friends get to test it, but none of us less cool internet people are allowed to sully your TestFlight group :colbert:

(seriously, congrats! Also, yeah, that was fast)

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

I don't know poo poo about translation ... EFIGs release (english/french/italian/german)
The S is Spanish.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

We're in the process of translating/localising one of our games. The asian languages just look cooler.

duros posted:

I want to second this. All games look cooler in Korean.
Gotta love those circles/ellipses.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 9, 2012

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

Akuma posted:

We're in the process of translating/localising one of our games. The asian languages just look cooler.

I want to second this. All games look cooler in Korean.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

That was quick. I think I would have taken a few weeks off.

Gotta ride that motivational wave. While taking time off is appealing, we were so riled up about being laid off that we were immediately talking about what we were going to build the day after. We got office space a few days later and filed incorporation papers a week after.

Shalinor posted:

Oh, I see how it is, your cool local friends get to test it, but none of us less cool internet people are allowed to sully your TestFlight group :colbert:

Heh, it's not really anything to test. It's just a goofy thing we threw together (and polished way more than we should have) so we can experience the app store process, integrating IAP/GameCenter/etc for ourselves instead of relying on company provided SDKs and dev relations people who get to push and shove people around instead of sending emails into the Apple blackhole.

Don't worry, you'll get to enjoy it soon enough!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I work in J->E translation and yeah that's nearly all freelancing as well. When I first started doing this I had dreams of working for Nintendo or Square or whatever, but freelance is way cooler because a) you get to work on all kinds of stuff so it's always new b) you work your own hours.

Disadvantages include lack of steady paycheck, no benefits that you don't pay in full for, etc, but hey it's not like office jobs in the game industry are steadier these days :v:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I work in J->E translation and yeah that's nearly all freelancing as well. When I first started doing this I had dreams of working for Nintendo or Square or whatever, but freelance is way cooler because a) you get to work on all kinds of stuff so it's always new b) you work your own hours.

Disadvantages include lack of steady paycheck, no benefits that you don't pay in full for, etc, but hey it's not like office jobs in the game industry are steadier these days :v:
Are you by any chance one of the Carpe Fulgur guys, or do we have more J->E folks than I'd realized?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

devilmouse posted:

Gotta ride that motivational wave. While taking time off is appealing, we were so riled up about being laid off that we were immediately talking about what we were going to build the day after. We got office space a few days later and filed incorporation papers a week after.

Heh, it's not really anything to test. It's just a goofy thing we threw together (and polished way more than we should have) so we can experience the app store process, integrating IAP/GameCenter/etc for ourselves instead of relying on company provided SDKs and dev relations people who get to push and shove people around instead of sending emails into the Apple blackhole.

Don't worry, you'll get to enjoy it soon enough!

So you are building from ground zero in ObjC instead of using a framework of some kind, like Corona, etc?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

FreakyZoid posted:

The S is Spanish.

oh yeah, I derped on that a bit. Never really had to deal with it as an artist. I thought the S was supposed to be capitalized but apparently blanked on Spain's sovereignty.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pizookie posted:

Just chiming in as a former Square-Enix QA tester.

Tons of words about SE QA

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my fingers crossed then. I'm pretty sure I followed their format... that's part of why I took so long after all, double checking i think.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

So you are building from ground zero in ObjC instead of using a framework of some kind, like Corona, etc?

Nah, by company I meant our previous employer. Lots of stuff was abstracted away and we never had to think about it. The throwaway app (and the next one) are being built in Haxe NME.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Pixelboy posted:

Make sure you write down the *exact* steps to repro the issue, as well as how many times the issue was observed.

If there's a build ## or version on the build, include that.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Please don't make it too complicated, or put in too many asides, or sperg out too much unless you know exactly what you're talking about (in which case you might as well try for a developer position) or your bug report might get emailed around for people to laugh at*

*I'm not saying it's right, but this is something that does happen at some studios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

emoticon posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Please don't make it too complicated, or put in too many asides, or sperg out too much unless you know exactly what you're talking about (in which case you might as well try for a developer position) or your bug report might get emailed around for people to laugh at*

*I'm not saying it's right, but this is something that does happen at some studios

I have irl seen a bug report that had the word "friend of the family" in it.